5.0 out of 5 stars This series is my favorite sit com
That last thing the world needs is another review of "Seven Up." However, after reading a number of reviews of this book, I do feel as though I have something to add to the mix.
Published on 21 Sep 2001 by D. Kaplan

3.0 out of 5 stars A curate's egg - good in parts
Others will describe the plot. This review is for quality of the plot and dialogue.
If you are new to the Evanovich Stephanie Plum series start at One for the Money and then go on to Two for the dough. Seven up is funny, but not as good as the earlier books.
Published on 4 Jan 2006 by Juliette

3.0 out of 5 stars A curate's egg - good in parts, 4 Jan 2006
There are some laugh out loud moments, but the story isn't the strongest and it does feel as if Evanovich was working to a deadline so it isn't as polished as some of her other works.
Still worth buying, I wouldn't pay for a hardback copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars This series is my favorite sit com, 21 Sep 2001
D. Kaplan "sleuth029" (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This series reminds me of watching your favorite TV sitcom. When you turn on the TV, you know exactly what to expect...the same central core of characters in familiar surroundings. However, you know that no matter how many times you have seen these people sitting in their living room, somehow each week something will happen or a dialogue will ensue that will have you roaring with laughter. I feel the same way whenever I pick up a Stephanie Plum book.
For years, whenever someone would suggest I read this series, I always said that I didn't like funny mysteries. Finally succumbing to the pressure, I picked up the first book in the series. After reading it, I realized that the only way you can truly enjoy these books is if you give up the notion that they are mysteries. I find that the mystery is nothing but a backdrop for the antics of Stephanie Plum and the assorted off-center characters that are recurring characters and those that wander in and out of her life.
I thought that "Seven Up" was a fine addition to this very funny series. Just sitting here thinking about Bob the Dog brings a smile to my face. I also thought the introduction of Stephanie's sister and the exploration of her sexual identity was brilliantly funny. This is a classic example of the subtle humor that Evanovich weaves into her stories. I find this to be the perfect foil to the more slapstick and far from subtle humor that I associate with Grandma Mazur. There are those who say that Grandma Mazur is getting boring and predictable. Did we say the same thing about the Estelle Getty character in the "The Golden Girls," who to me is a Grandma Mazur clone?"
In the earlier books, another example of brilliant comedic writing is the description of the Buick belching its way down the street. At one time this vintage car, the size of a small tank, was my favorite character.
I don't know about you, but whenever I think of certain scenes in this book, I still find myself chuckling.
In closing, I can only say that if you liked any of the books in this series, you will not be disappointed in "Seven Up."

4.0 out of 5 stars Strange happenings, fast food, hot men, lots of laughs, 5 Jun 2001
By A Customer
Stephanie Plum is back in the game, this is the seventh book in this series and it has all the usual ingredients. Ranger,Morelli,Vinne, the Plum family, Joyce Barnhardt, Bob & Rex. When I read the first chapters I actually wondered if the same author wrote it. As I read further however it was the usual suspects. A missing Mooner, an elderly FTA who keeps outsmarting Stephanie & Lula, Grandma Mazur keeping things interesting and Ranger looking hot and saying not much. I really enjoyed this novel,Janet Evanovich manages to keep humour, romance and mystery happening at the same time. If you enjoyed High Five this is definitely for you.Stephanie is still facing a moral dilemma and in this book she seems to be closer to making some serious decisions. A definite must have for all the Stephanie Plum fans out there. These novels are in the same vein as Denis Lehane & Robert Crais novels but a lot lighter in tone and style. Buy Seven Up - You will like it !

4.0 out of 5 stars Stephanie buys a pig's heart and tries on a wedding gown, 20 May 2004
Joseph Haschka (Glendale, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Stephanie Plum is a bounty hunter working for her lecherous cousin Vinnie in Trenton, NJ. Klutzy Stephanie often mistakes her can of hair set for pepper spray, and forgets to charge her stun gun. It's a wonder she captures anybody.
HOT SIX ended with undercover vice cop Joe Morelli proposing marriage - sort of.
In SEVEN UP, Vinnie assigns Plum to seize Eddie DeChooch, who's jumped bail on a charge of cigarette smuggling. But Eddie refuses to be brought in until he finds something he's lost, and he's willing to resort to gunplay to make his point. But Stephanie hates guns - she keeps her .38 in a cookie jar. And what has DeChooch lost? All we and Stephanie know is that it has to be kept cold. In the meantime, Plum must mentally grasp Morelli's marriage proposal. They've an on-again, off-again relationship ever since Joe took her virginity on the floor behind the pastry counter of the bakery where she worked at eighteen. Mrs. Plum, whose nightmare is her daughter as an Old Maid, takes Stephanie out to try on wedding gowns when the latter, in a desperate moment at the Plum family dinner table with guest Joe, blurts out "August!". Will it happen, you think?
Now seven novels into the Stephanie Plum series, it's evident that Evanovich writes to a fairly rigid formula, at least so far: Plum gets an ostensibly easy assignment that goes terribly wrong when her quarry proves elusive and one or more bodies are discovered; Stephanie has car problems; Stephanie must temporarily put up with an eccentric roommate; Stephanie dotes on her pet hamster, Rex; Stephanie is followed by suspicious characters; Stephanie takes her Grandma Mazur to viewings at local funeral parlors; Stephanie's sidekick in dysfunctional fugitive apprehension is Lula, ex-ho and Vinnie's file clerk; Stephanie has the hots for fellow bounty hunter, the mysterious Ranger. Whatever fantastical situations and characters the author additionally creates seem to be outlandish for their own sakes rather than maturing her heroine's persona. While that's not necessarily bad, it does lend each book a strain of boring predictability. The author needs to expand Stephanie's horizons. And I'm becoming increasingly annoyed that Plum's long-suffering parents remain ciphers.
Mind you, I still enjoy Stephanie's adventures immensely. But I'm unwilling to award any more five-star ratings unless Evanovich provides something surprising or very clever.

4.0 out of 5 stars COOL, REFRESHING AND BUBBLY, 7 May 2002
By A Customer
First of all, I don't want to be finicky, but the gun-toting babe on the cover didn't call to mind Evanovich's feisty but incompetent heroine. More proof that you shouldn't judge a book by the cover.
There's not much wrong with the text though, even if very little happens in the first half of the book. Even when the story starts to become clear it's all incredibly daft, but the real pleasure of the Stephanie Plum books is reading about the minutiae of her crazy lifestyle and her even crazier family.
There are plenty of opportunities to laugh out loud and, once things get going, plenty of outrageous action. The mud wrestling was my favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Evanovich's series' best Plum novel yet!, 2 Sep 2001
By A Customer
My father got me hooked on the Stephanie Plum series just a few months ago. After only 10 days I had read every book and found 7 Up to contain more twists and funny lines than in the first 6 put together. For thoes of you who don't know the series, Stephanie Plum is a Bounty Hunter who is helzter skelzter, seemingly unfit for the job, but ends up always getting the job done! If there is something in her path, Stephanie makes sure it's demolished!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, funny and almost believable, Evanovich does it again., 30 Aug 2001
By A Customer
Say what? Stephanie Plum's back and on fine form in the seventh of Janet Evanovich's acclaimed series. This time she's chasing down a retired mobster, a feat only complicated by the fact that he's Grandma Mazur's boyfriend. Added to this she has to find Mooner and Dougie, and her sister Valerie is home from California and determined to become a lesbian. But the biggest quetion of all has to be IS STEPH ABOUT TO BECOME MRS MORELLI?! Holy cats, I think I'm hooked on this fabulously funny series of New Jersey thrillers. A tight plot, a liberal sprinkling of comic characters and some snappy one liners. Perfect. Roll on number eight.

5.0 out of 5 stars can't wait for eight !, 10 Aug 2001
By A Customer
each time I pick up a Stephanie Plum book my friends and family dont see me until I've finished it, and then they are queuing to be the next to read it ! I dont know where Janet Evanovich gets her stories from but I certainly hope they keep coming. Seven Up lives up to her usual reputation and has me desperate to meet a real life Ranger ! For anyone who has not yet sampled the delights of Stephanie I could only advise you to take a week of work, stock up on junk food and start at number one. By Saturday you will be as desperate for number eight as I am !

5.0 out of 5 stars SEVEN UP : BUBBLES OF LAUGHTER, 1 Aug 2001
May Janet Evanovich's pen never run dry. I can't say her best one yet, as I have appreciated all the books in the series. However, I think Seven Up is the one that had me laughing out loud loudest and longest. The plot is as zany as ever and the perfect setting for the craziest selection of characters. Even though I'm closer to Grandma Mazur's age than to Stephanie Plum's, I'd definitely like to meet Morelli and Ranger.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2nd BEST FEISTY FICTIONAL FEMALE!, 27 July 2001
By A Customer
I've got a confession: I'm only just catching up with Stephanie Plum. I'm so glad I did. Fantastic book. Fantastic character, only beaten in the feisty stakes by DI Ellen Ross, the tough-as-nails cop in POWER OF ATTORNEY by DEXTER DIAS. Both highly recommended.

Seven Up (A Stephanie Plum Novel)
5.25