4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Hiaasen - and not just for kids
Published on 22 Nov 2009 by RiccNew

3.0 out of 5 stars One for the Kiddies
This was my first purchase for my Kindle. Having enjoyed other books by Hiaasen, I realised after some pages that it was actually written for teenagers, there being no indication in the appearance of the book.

Take away the sex and some of the more gruesome elements, this was a typical Hiassen book and quite entertaining.
Published on 13 Dec 2012 by bertbaltic

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Hiaasen - and not just for kids, 22 Nov 2009
This review is from: Scat (Hardcover)
By the time I was half way through this book I forgot that it was aimed at a young audience because I was enjoying it so much. That's not to say that it isn't suitablle for kids - it absolutely is - just that it's such a well plotted story that runs at such a lovely quick pace that it doesn't matter who you. You'll really feel safe in the hands of an assured storyteller.

If you've read any other Carl Hiaasen books then you'll know that there is always a familiar backdrop: the potential destruction of the delicate natural environment of Florida. It's not a preachy book though, or at least I didn't find it so. The environmental issues are just a backdrop to the comic and thrilling mishaps of the cast of classic Hiaasen characters, with their often overblown features and slightly over the top mannerisms.

The only reason I don't give this five stars is because if you read it alongside a couple of other Hiaasen books the stories would most likely blend into one. But on the other hand, there is nothing wrong with consistency if it's consistent excellence!

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll like this whatever your age, 9 Oct 2010
A. P. J. Jansen (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scat (Paperback)
Who is this book written for? Children, teenagers, adults? Who cares? Carl Hiaasen has written another great book on the absurdities that stupidity, greed, and indifference can lead to. I have been a great fan of Hiaasen for a long time, and I was a bit disappointed that he seemed to be focusing on writing for young adults with his latest books. I also liked his recent books for adults (e.g., Nature Girl) less; many characters did not really come to live, and the stories were just a bit too farfetched. I was therefore a slightly hesitant to buy Scat. Most of the main characters are teenagers, but I am not sure that the book is really written for young adults. Relations are occasionally described in a way that young adults will probably fail to understand. But, of course, it does not matter who the book was written for. It is simply a very good, funny, and thought-provoking book. The characters are excellent. Hiaasen writes in his usual understated way, and lets that events speak for themselves. Apart from the main line there are various additional story lines, which make it a very rich book. This is Hiaasen at his best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 20 May 2009
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Scat (Hardcover)
Nick and Marta are two of the lucky eighth-grade students in Mrs. Starch's (who just happens to be the most feared teacher in the history of the world!) biology class. Every day they sit and pass notes back and forth to each other, discussing their fear of being called on.

The day after their field trip to the Black Vine Swamp, something mysterious happens. Mrs. Starch doesn't come back, and she is never absent, and people start to wonder. While there might be a scrawled note and a message on her answering machine that states that she has had to deal with a family emergency, people, especially Nick and Marta, aren't buying it.

They are all convinced that Smoke, the kid in Mrs. Starch's class that she dislikes the most, has something to do with her disappearance.

In a whirlwind adventure filled with arson, endangered animals, the Iraq war, the Florida wet lands, a money hungry wannabe oil rigger, and panther poop, Nick and Marta set out to find their missing biology teacher.

Carl Hiaasen definitely has a knack for adventure. Every story he creates always has some crazy plot that makes you think as well as laugh! In this case, Hiaasen poses the problem of destroying the environment for monetary gain and how it affects the ecosystem in a hilarious manner. He also throws in some other great themes to think about: not judging people by their history/the way they look, believing in yourself and never giving up, learning to live with what you've got, and working as a team.

These themes are so important for younger readers (and sometimes older!) to learn, and Hiaasen did such a great job of incorporating them into the book without blatantly stating them. While this book has more of a middle-grade audience, it is great for all ages of readers, although there is a tad bit of language. Overall, I think the book was masterfully written and was a worthwhile and entertaining read.

Reviewed by: Tasha

5.0 out of 5 stars A Powerful, but Humorous, Tale of the Responsible Life for Youngsters of All Ages, 26 Mar 2009
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Don't miss this book!

I admire Carl Hiaasen's messages, story-telling ability, and writing skill as expressed in Scat. While the story is slightly gentler than what an adult version might read like, Scat doesn't talk down to younger readers. Instead, Mr. Hiaasen assumes that all his readers are caring, concerned, idealistic, and dedicated to doing the right thing. We need more books like this one.

In weaving his tale, Mr. Hiaasen shares a point of view that what seems to separate us is less important than what should draw us together: Selfish, inappropriate desires drive us apart and everything else is good glue. The book is populated by selfish people (both present and not present, but referred to) and people who find that their concern for others (including all the animals) is greater than their concern for their immediate comfort.

If you aren't in favor of protecting endangered species when you start Scat, you may well become one after reading this story. In addition, you'll realize that you can play a role in helping: You just have to reach out to find and do something useful.

Teachers will love the way that Scat shows that teachers can be better and worse than their students and administrators. Students may learn not to judge teachers too quickly by their appearances and mannerisms in the classroom. I didn't learn that lesson until I was almost 16 when I had a teacher who was terrific to and for me, but whose quirks made her a source of humor for many of my classmates. I honor to this day what Mrs. Verna L. Reynolds did for me. In some ways, she could have served as a prototype for Mrs. Starch (don't you love that name?) in the book. I wish I could share this book with her, but she's passed on to a better place.

I also think that this book could be a big blessing to families where a member has served in the military and the results of that service weren't always what were hoped for.

The book also has a lot of the trademark Hiaasen humor. There are two scenes involving Smoke and Mrs. Starch that cracked me up causing gales of laughter to erupt.

As the book opens, there's a tense scene in biology class as Mrs. Starch tries unsuccessfully to find a student who has read the assignment and is willing to answer a question. When she chooses the grumpy Smoke, it gets rougher for everyone. How could a teacher humiliate a student like Mrs. Starch did to Smoke? That scene is followed by the mysterious disappearance of Mrs. Starch at the end of a biology field trip cut short by a wildfire. Smoke cannot be found either. There's an old saying: Where there's smoke, there's fire. Is that the case here?

The mystery takes all kinds of twists and turns, including the unexpected delivery of a student's inhaler in the middle of the night.

And what did Nick see and hear in the swamp?

Be prepared to learn two meanings of the word, "scat."

4.0 out of 5 stars Kids book, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: Scat (Kindle Edition)
I really like this author, it's not as good as his other books, great beginning, good story, doesn't develop the characters as much as usual. nice read though

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: Scat (Kindle Edition)
A good holiday read & funny. As always, the author gets his unique sense of humour across in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for any age, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: Scat (Paperback)
Eco wariours at they best; brave, witty, courages, funny and loyal no metter what. Excelent read for any age from about 8y onwards. Definattely recomended.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent!, 6 Nov 2013
This review is from: Scat (Paperback)
this book was absolutely excellent in so many different ways. The author takes so many uncountable twist and turns that you just wont put it down, if you do consider buying this!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a joy!, 30 Jun 2013
This review is from: Scat (Kindle Edition)
It has been a while since I have read a Carl Hiaasen book. After my first one back in the 90s I read any I could get my hands on and eagerly awaited for him to write the next. They are always cleverly written and appeal to the Eco-warrior in me. Is this the origin of Smoke? In true Hiaasen style one always meets up with an old friend in his books. And I have a load of his books to catch up on! W00t!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Buy the Book!, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Scat (Kindle Edition)
This is one great book with an interesting story and interesting characters.
A must read book that sucks you into it and you just can't put it down.

I really didn't read these types of books till my friend recommend it to me! And when I
did read it and finished it, I bought the second one straight away!

5/5 stars, Well done Carl Hiaasen!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›