on 19 November 2011
This is a must for new photoshop elements users. It explains in crystal english and works you through each section. A lot of the info you can get from the online help but needing all the help I can get I find it easier using a book for the step by step explanations. This is the book they should have put into the box with the software !
on 24 April 2012
With the "Dummies" range well established and Elements 10 being a pretty specific product, expectations of this book should be pretty easy to establish.
The one thing that isn't clear from the description, is that there is a more comprehensive version available, but that's no refelction on the product itself.
You can expect the usual clear and informal style that you get from the rest of the range, with subjects logically organised and broken down. Clear to follow symbols and diagrams are in abundance and the overall pace of the book is spot on for all types of user.
There's a clear split between the organising and editing aspects of the software, so it is possible to skip to relevant areas if you wish. For anyone wishing to adopt and master both as their key photography tools, it really is ideal and gives full coverage, whether you're going to stick with Elements or progress to full Photoshop.
A really cool thing is that Elements has been out for sometime now (obviously, this being version 10!)but it makes no assumptions about the user and this is something other guides could take note of. So there's no frustration over jargon or what you missed from previous versions.
It also skilfully addresses both Windows and Mac users, without the feeling that you have to pick out what is relevant to you.
It's true that a few individual tools are not specifically addressed, but this will give you a clear enough understanding to pick up the rest intuitively or with a little search work on the web).
Ideal for previous or new users and highly recommended.
on 4 January 2012
I thought I was usually prety good at working through software and figuring out how it should work without resorting to books and manuals. However, my first brief looks at Elements 10 made me think that I could well be missing things with this approach, hence invested the time and money in this book. I have to say, so far this has been well worth the money, showing me lots of features, tips and techniques that I know I would never have found if i'd carried on working through the package unaided.

Are there better instruction books out there for Photoshop Elements 10? I've no idea but I do know this has helped me a lot and would recommend it to anyone else trying to get the best out of Photoshop.
on 1 August 2012
This review is based on a short acquaintance with the book as I returned it having quickly found a number of shortcomings. Examples of these are: no outline of the program, no tour of the screen with simple explanations of the main functions, no section on restoring old photographs (which was the reason I bought the book), no 'getting started' guide, no accessible or easily understandable explanation of layers or how they should be used, no discussion on the source file format (jpg, tiff, bmp for example) and no accessible information on how to keep the file size reasonably small. Recent experience has shown that simple work can result in file sizes of 50MB and more.

At least the book did not use the jokey, gimmicky language that other Dummies books have used.

Authors need to put themselves in the position of the reader who wishes to learn the subject and may be starting from basics. I'm afraid that this author failed.

Amazon.com could not have been more helpful when I returned the book so 10 out of 10 for that!
on 3 January 2012
This book is easy to read and use. It is good that while you are studying a topic instead of having to geep looking on the computer for what to do next everything is in front of you page by page. A good buy from a good author in this range.
on 18 April 2012
Having been a long, long, time user of the full Photoshop (v5 for 10+ years), I was not surprised when I found it wouldn't work in Windows 7. I resolved to take two paths out of this issue.
First: The Windows 7 Professional's ability to create a virtual Windows XP environment which enables me to run my version of Photoshop as before.
Second: Try out the latest version of Photoshop Elements (v.10).
While the first solution enables me to work as before, the second I discovered to be a considerable leap forward in many respects. That is apart from two facility I had been used to using in Photoshop. One being the ability to empty the contents of a selected area with the instruction 'clear', so replacing it with transparency in a layer or the background in the base layer; the other being the ability to draw 'paths' with the pen tool.
Apart from these two issues I have found Photoshop Elements 10 to be vey good and unhessitatingly recommend it to any serious photographer, professional or amateur. I would, however, suggest the purchase of 'Photoshop Elements 10 for Dummies' as a route to quickly getting to grips with the intricacies that make Elements such a powerful application.
on 17 February 2012
The book is informative and to the point - just what I needed as PSE 10 comes without instructions. I have recommended the book to friends - and they are still my friends.
VINE VOICEon 24 January 2012
This exellent addition to a superb series is practical, extremely helpful, well illustrated, easy to understand and a great addition to any photographer's library.
on 18 April 2012
I would recommend this book to anyone considering buying, and using, Photoshop Elements. Easy to read and well written, aims at the beginner without being insulting to those with some knowledge.Photoshop Elements 10 For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers))
on 20 April 2012
Had some experience of the early Dummies books and they were just that.
This is a much more satisfying product. The information given starts from a fairly basic level but the more in depth material is also available for those who need it.