4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected :-)
I bought this thinking it might not be very good as the price was so low ( I paid £30.44), how wrong was I. It's brilliant.
It easily fits in four regular sliced toasted sandwiches, or four paninis.
Published on 15 Mar. 2013 by J. Burrows

1.0 out of 5 stars Have not stopped using it! Have Now - SEE UPDATE!
Had a traditional sandwich maker years ago, you know the type, seals the sandwich and then burns your mouth when you bit into it! This is the latest release from Breville and I must say it is a great piece of kit, the whole family now toast sandwiches all the time, please note it does not seal.

Just one minor point, could do with something to let you know it...
Published 21 months ago by Chunky1234

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected :-), 15 Mar. 2013
J. Burrows (u.k) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville VST026 4 Slice Sandwich Press Stainless Steel (Kitchen & Home)
It easily fits in four regular sliced toasted sandwiches, or four paninis.
My main concern before buying this was how long it takes to heat up as a few other reviewers had said it takes a while, it doesn't, I timed it and it's 2 mins, toasted sandwiches take about 2-3 mins, so all in all a very quick sandwich.
Okay it doesn't have a temperature control but it has a thermostat that keeps it at the perfect temperature, my toasties were perfectly cooked, nice and even. I tried one buttered and one not, and although both came out fine, the buttered one looked nicer,more shiney like a toastie whereas the other one looked just more like toast on the outside.
This was really easy to clean,just a quick wipe, it's got a lip all the way round the bottom which is good as it holds any melted cheese in, I would of given this 5 stars had the grill plates been removable.
My only other slight gripe would be that it does squash the toasties quite a bit so go for thick sliced,the thicker the better.
All in all a very impressive sandwich toaster,perfect for a family, yes it's a bit bigger than some others but not so much as to put you off.
Buy this, you won't be disappointed!

UPDATE- 3 Months later...
I want to up my star rating to 5 stars from 4!
I still love this product, even more so as time has gone on, and the fact the grill plates are not removable does not matter as it's been so easy to keep clean.
I love this product so much I've bought one to use in my tea garden (to replace an expensive Dualit product i ws using )and it has been a godsend, the toasted sandwiches are so quick and when 4 are done together the toasties don't get squashed at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars all the way, 21 Nov. 2011
Nick Flynn "NickF" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have no hesitation in giving the Breville VST026 5 stars, because it is really good at what it does.

I have long been a fan of toasties, but my old toasted sandwich maker used to languish in the back of the cupboard because it was horrible to clean, and would only take the square bread ... unless you resorted to surgery on your freshly baked bloomer ... and if you put more than a spoon full of filling in, it would bubble out of the side ... going back to point one.

The Breville 26 has a largish flat plates that are easily big enough for 2 rounds of the big home made loaves we make, or 4 Paninis. 2 Ciabatta, or even 9 - 12 (depending on size) english muffins or crumpets. This means that my wife and I can actually sit down to our lunch of delicious toasties at the same time.

Back to the machine, there are no switches or dials, you simply plug in, and when the green TEMP light goes off ... you are ready to cook. This takes just under 2 minuets, so if you switch on before you start to construct your favourite snack, it will be ready and waiting for you.

Cooking time is down to taste but I find that most sandwiches are ready in less than 5 minutes, or when you hear things start to sizzle ... I have learned that having the filling at room temperature helps, (but not essential) as does keeping the slices of the individual fillings on the slim side. We have found that putting the cheese on top means that it has the chance to melt into the other ingredients ... although I have been know to go belt and braces and put cheese on the bottom deck too!

My current favourite sandwich is smoked ham, emmental cheese, sliced red pepper and rocket ... bloomin delicious, and I would like to see you try and get that lot into one of the old toasie makers.

We have the smaller version of this panini press, but this is definitely the one to go for. The lead length is better by a good half a metre and the sliding catch on side, to lock the plates together for storage is simple but effective.

We have also used the Panini press to make omelettes, fried egg, to heat up garlic bread, naan bread, and mexican wraps. As for cleaning, and this is where I wish I could award bonus points, it is simplicity itself ... a quick wipe with a kitchen towel (best done whilst still warm).

So, no hesitation in giving the highest possible rating for this versatile kitchen essential.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toastietastic!, 10 Feb. 2015
I have to say I was a bit surprised at how large it was when it arrived... I usually take comments like 'makes up to 4 Paninis at the same time' to be little more than marketing blurb but this time it really is true!
It handles four full size toasties with ease and we even made a giant Turkish bread toastie (the nearest thing an ex-pat Geordie can get to a stottie!!!) without any problems. It's great for pita bread and can even make plain old toast should you desire it. Not tried crumpets yet but it's next on the agenda!
You have to accept that it isn't going to give the traditional triangular toastie effect and that more runny cheese often runs out to create a crispy halo (oh what a shame! Yum!!!) but the positive side, as many other have already said, is that you can really stuff your toastie and the weight of the two griddles flattens it all down in the normal cooking time without the need to apply any pressure, use mole grips, or force the clip closed. In fact the only time you need to use the clip is for storing it upright.
Cleaning could not be easier; wipe down with a soft damp dishcloth immediately after use - no need to resort to the scrubbing and chiselling of a traditional machine!!!
The two non stick griddles seem exactly that - so much so that sometimes you end up chasing the last toastie round the machine trying to get it out!
My top tip is keep a supply of wooden toothpicks close at hand as they are handy for spearing an escaping toastie or simply to provide a little bit of much needed leverage!
This machine is well made, feels solid, and I can recommend it without hesitation.

4.0 out of 5 stars makes good toasties, but has no temperature controls, 6 Dec. 2011
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is our second sandwich toaster, our previous one being bought in the 1980s is still going strong.

When I received and opened this, I will admit, I was a little disappointed, but this was mainly due to the fact that I didn't know what to expect - I have never seen a panini sandwich before. Once I realised it was a type of bun I became more enamoured of my new kitchen gadget. I have always wanted a way to toast sandwich-buns and this works perfectly.

The sandwich press is a lot larger than I thought it would be - at approximately 30 cm by 27 cm by 4.5 cm (deep) it is around a third bigger than our old one.

The "toaster" consists of 2 large, flat, non-stick trays. The bottom tray has a curved lip which is approximately 0.5 cm high, to help contain any overflow from the sandwich contents.

My first doubt came when I discovered that there was no temperature control. I am used to being able to adjust the temperature in order to ensure that the filling is heated properly without burning the bread casing.

I found that the toaster plates take longer to heat up than our old model, this may be due to the fact that they are so much bigger, however, it is only really a matter of a minute or 2 difference in timings. It has a ready-to-cook light on it so you know when it is up to heat. Once at full heat it is a matter of judging when you believe that your toastie is ready. This can be a hit and miss affair, but once you have the hang of timings things become a lot easier. There are certain foods that you don't want to be lukewarm, such as chicken, for safety reasons, so I would recommend that you test before you serve.

The second issue I had was with the lack of a lid clip. On our old machine the lid is held in place by a clip so that the toasting is even. The toasting (so far) has been quite even, this may be due to the fact that the lid is on a pivot, or I may simply have been lucky, only time will tell.

I would recommend that you clean the machine carefully with a damp cloth while it is still warm, as this makes it easier to get the overspill off the non-stick hot plates. The manual recommends waiting until the plates are cool before closing the machine and putting it away. It takes a long time for it to cool down so there is plenty of time for cleaning.

The stainless steel shell can get a little warm, but not very hot, however I would recommend not moving the machine while it is in use, or cooling down, as you can singe your fingers by accident.

There are non-slip feet on the bottom which adds to the safety of the machine and a wrap-around cord storage area, should you find that you don't need all of the cord that is provided. The open-close handle on the lid is heat resistant, so, as long as you don't get hold of the lid or the base directly, you shouldn't get burnt.

There is no need to worry about the size of the machine taking up a large area of your workspace, as it folds (the lid locking into place by using a slide switch on the side) so that it can be stood on end. I have it stood between the cupboard and the toaster for storage, because, though it looks stable, I have a fear of it toppling over and damaging the worktop (but that is my problem).

The best thing about making your own toasted sandwiches is that you are in control of what goes in them. If you don't like hot lettuce or tomatoes then you don't put them in, or if you fancy smoked salmon, Branston pickle and chocolate sauce then you have the freedom to have that without any strange looks from other people.

Over the past few weeks of using this toastie maker I found that it is easy to use, to clean and (once I got use to the cooking times for the various buns and fillings) it makes great filled toasted buns. If you are looking for a sandwich press then I would recommend this one for your consideration.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but not quite perfect, 23 Nov. 2011
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm very pleased indeed with this sandwich toaster from Breville. The machine is well built in chrome and black (plastic/metal) and gets to temperature quickly (a green light on the top of the device turns OFF). The sandwich toaster comfortably fits four rounds of bread - even if you're using a taller kind such as a slices taken from fresh split tin, or a Warburtons sliced loaf - so is plenty big enough to feed an average-sized family. There is no temperature control dial, but this seems to regulate itself fairly well, so that sandwiches crisp up nicely on the outside but don't burn before fillings have had a chance to warm.

The metal plates are - unusually - flat, so you don't get a liney, griddle-style effect on your cooked food, but they're also very effectively non-stick. The latter point means that there's no need to use butter or spread on the outside of your bread.

After use, the sandwich toaster cools quite slowly, so you do have to wait a while before you can put this away. For cleaning purposes this is good - but could be better. The non-stick plates wipe clean very easily but as this is intended for sandwich toasting rather than use as a multi-pupose grill there's no drainage channel. Combine this with a raised lip (about 0.5cm) that goes all the way round the bottom heating plate and it's not quite as easy to get crumbs out as it could be. I end up flicking crumbs out of the corner with a pastry brush.

The lid to this sandwich toaster is quite tall when raised - and in my kitchen (which has top cupboards all the way round above the worktop areas) there isn't quite room to open the lid to the point where it stays open on its own as the handle hits the cupboard above.

1.0 out of 5 stars Have not stopped using it! Have Now - SEE UPDATE!, 3 Oct. 2013
Chunky1234 (Reading. Berks.) - See all my reviews

Just one minor point, could do with something to let you know it is still hot once you have switched it off as there is a risk someone might just put something on the top!

UPDATE 02-03-2015 - So after 18 months or so this decided that enough was enough and gave one of the largest blue flashes I have ever seen come from a plug, yes the plug! Blew the trip in my fuse box. Unplugged the unit, checked the fuse in the plug, all okay. Checked the socket with a tester, all okay.

So, emailed customer service at Breville - told, really sorry about that, but nothing else...........

Although the unit is 18 months old I do not live in a cafe, so in reality this unit has probably only had 6 months use, to then give up the ghost (too scared to plug it in again and try it) I find myself having to look for a replacement, definitely though will not be a Breville!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better for toasties than a toasty maker., 27 Mar. 2015
I got totally fed up with the toasted sandwich makers that seal the edges.. they are fine for a while. but then the non stick starts to go quite quickly and they are then hell to clean. The thought of the cleaning effort then needed used to put me off using them.
I was a bit sceptical about this and how well it would work, but decided to give one a try since even if it did not work too well for toasties, it looked like it would be good for panninis etc.
It works pretty well. Just take a little care to place the toasties centrally so that the plates are parallel et voila!
If you are too generous with the cheese then a bit can leak out, but I find far less leakage then with a toasties maker.
It cleans up brilliantly, just a quick wipe needed.. and that is after about a year of regular use.
It is also easy to toast all sorts of things since the plates are a decent size (approx 25cm x 29cm). It is big enough to do four full slice toasties at once.
You can probably toast something up to about 7cm thick. Above that and the plates start to get more difficult to level out.... it may also take some time to heat through something that thick.
There is a latch on the side of the handle, but that is only for when it is fully closed.. only really usable for when storing away.
One thing that takes a little getting used to at first is that you just rest the lid on the top of what you are toasting (which seems to also help prevent the contents squishing out).
The only down side is that when eating a toastie where there has been perhaps a bit too much cheese, it can be prone to dripping cheese since the edges are not sealed.
So while a sealed edge maker may be better for a few months (until the non stick goes), this wins out in the longer run and is a lot more versatile.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product. Well priced and does the job., 15 Jan. 2014
Good for panini's. Need to be careful with sliced bread as your toastie can come out really flat. Bargain when you consider how fast it works. You can fit 4 toastie's in one go. Tip: using baking paper between the plates means you don't have to clean as often and less messy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great gadget for the sarnie lover, 23 Nov. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing to say about the Breville sandwich press is that it is big. It is handsome, but it's also very big and heavy. If you don't have much room on your kitchen counter you may want to see one of these in the flesh before buying. I do think it is necessary to have a clear, safe place to put the press simply because it is heavy and does get hot. I found the press very easy to use. The size of it means that it is easy to fit your sarnies on the plates without bits falling out the sides. It cooks it quickly and evenly. I tried making toasted sandwiches and paninis without any problems. The press could also perform some of the functions of those grilling machines which cook a wider range of foods. One thing I really liked about the press is that you don't need to spread any butter on the outside of the bread so it's ideal for anyone on a diet. The plates are very easy to clean and you really just need to give them a wipe over. I find it easier to do this when they are still slightly warm. The press comes with a recipe/ideas booklet. I would recommend the Breville sandwich press to anyone, but if you have a tiny kitchen you may want to think about how often you will really use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best toasties ever!!, 18 Jun. 2014
Don't waste your money going out for a toast - have one on here and realise what you've been missing all these years. The quality of the toasties on this are superb. No hesitation in recommending.