4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't think I'd enjoy it but it's good fun
I was a big fan of the original Spider-Man movie trilogy (yes, even the lame 3rd movie) so I was skeptical about whether I'd enjoy it (constantly telling myself that it was too soon for a reboot) but man, does Andrew Garfield deliver.

Published 14 months ago by I. Sato

3.0 out of 5 stars good
I wasnt blown away by this, im a spider man fan in context and was eager to get my eyes on this. It fell on its knees on a few issues for me. I wasnt wild about the villain in this, the cgi is too obvious for me, he isnt sadistic enough for me. Spiderman throwing out puns and jokes as he battles wasnt that hot for me especially as they werent funny hey.
The...
Published 21 months ago by sean paul mccann

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't think I'd enjoy it but it's good fun, 22 Nov. 2013

It's certainly a different take on the young Peter Parker, though he is back with his original girlfriend (from the comics) Gwen Stacey he is also qwirky instead of nerdy - all in all this makes him more relatable than the original Peter Parker and the chemistry between Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield is great.

Watch it, it's good fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE SPLICE OF LIFE, 24 Jun. 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Amazing Spider-Man (DVD + UV Copy) [2012] (DVD)
It appears audiences have gotten too hip to buy into the "radioactive spider" bite scenario, so the writers opted for a gene splicing spider bite. The film incorporates many of the original Spider-man ideas, people, and scenes, while maintaining a certain amount of originality. The plot of the film has already been compromised (40 year anniversary of first publication), so there is no need for me to dwell on it.

3D holograms are used in the film, and of course Spider-man flies directly at your head. If you have the wallet and opportunity, I would suggest the 3D version.

In all honesty I preferred Toby McGuire to Andrew Garfield as Spider-man. That is not to say Andrew did a bad job, he didn't. The part was written different. I am a big fan of Emma Stone (Gwen Stacy), who has been in High School going on 6 years now. She can play the hottie and the nerd both better than most actresses. But what this film didn't have was that one defining moment that will forever be played in movie pop culture history and that was "The Kiss" which drove women into the theater. Yes, Emma and Andrew swap spit, but it wasn't the same as that upside down, remove the mask, just rescued me moment.

Denis Leary, who typically plays an angry comic, delivers in his role as Captain Stacy. Good action. For a 2 hour plus movie, it moves rather quickly. The real unanswered question is, "Will Andrew Garfield join the Avengers?"

PARENTAL GUIDE: No f-bombs, sex, or nudity.

3.0 out of 5 stars good, 11 April 2013
sean paul mccann "mccanns23" (ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Amazing Spider-Man (DVD + UV Copy) [2012] (DVD)
The relationship between peter and his new love didnt feel as powerful as the old relationship and with that in mind the old films are that old really so a reboot wasnt entirely wise hey.
Aside from all of that its popcorn cinema and it succeeds on that front. A good film, not a while pile more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different take, 6 Aug. 2013
Kilrymont (Somewhere in Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Amazing Spider-Man (DVD + UV Copy) [2012] (DVD)
I'm old enough to have been very familiar with the original Marvel comics, which were marketed in direct competition to the DC comics' hero comicbooks Detective Stories (Batman, Bob Kane, and Superman, Jerry Siegel) and the Marvel comics were always darker, more realistic, and with heaps of angst and deeper characterisation that the DC comics stuff always lacked.

The Marvel stuff was for older kids, maybe. Peter Parker/Spiderman's original stories went from completely goofy (Green Goblin, Kraven the Hunter, please don't resurrect Kraven, Stan?) to the clever (Lizard, DocOck, etc.) but the stories gave lots of "screentime" to the JJJameson routine much as portrayed in the MacGuire versions. The girlfriend side of things was different entirely, with Betty Brant (JJ's secretary) being the on/off romance line. And Aunt May's influence was always present, (even if Steve Ditko drew her as one step away from being the old lady in the Bates Motel cellar) but this film gives Sally Field almost no part at all, lousy lines, and an equally lousy hairdresser - she always looks like she's needing a good shampooing.

This film takes some and leaves some of the old stuff. The Flash Thompson thing is more or less as-was, but Mary Jane's omitted and a huge plot shift is introduced by Spiderman voluntarily revealing his ID to the love interest, Gwen.

It's always been pretty odd how a schoolkid could develop ultimate fighting ability just from a spider bite - where did all the martial arts awareness come from? Spiders are, after all, mostly found sitting around in webs munching flies the webs caught.

But the imagery is effective and some disbelief has to be suspended for the purpose of accessing the entertainment value in a movie.

Which this has, but unsure if it really achieves it any better overall than the original series of 3 did. I always felt that Tobey MacGuire was badly cast as Parker - he looked nothing like the comic portrayal, he lacked punch (!) and his presence was low even in high drama scenes. He was far too droopy. And the laughable business of swaggering down the street as the black-version was stupidly overplayed. I wondered if James Franco might have carried off the Spiderman part more effectively rather than the Best-Pal Harry part he was awarded.

None of which bears on this film, really - but it does a little inasmuch as they're all part of the same "franchise" as seems to be said these days. So the relationship between the Garfield and MacGuire versions was always going to be inevitably compared.

Although I'm not a fan of TM in S'man 123, nor do I feel that Andrew Garfield was a hugely better choice. He's taller/skinnier and therefore more spidery, and awkward with girls sure enough but he's over-hesitant far too often and he lacks battle-presence that the Spiderman character never lacked in the comics. And the script ignores the battle-quippery that made the comics so entertaining.

This film makes the spider-web production a mechanical/electronic squirting device as did the comics - unlike the rather silly wrist-spinerette-gland they gave SM in movies 1,2,3.

As usual, Grandad Stan Lee puts in his five seconds of screen time - in this case as a headphone-deafened old guy unaware of the shenanigans going on behind him in the library - ie, carnage with SM and lizard destroying stuff bigtime only 20ft away, that music must have been powerful-loud! It's his take on the Alfred Hitchcock walk-ons that typified the latter's films.

Direction was rather aimless, scene timing slow and irksomely without drive - Sam Raimi did a better job, for sure.

When the sequel arrives, no doubt I'll buy it too - but I do hope they've given a little more thought to detail improvements by that time, pointers seem to make it happening in 2014.

Three stars only for this one. Two would have been overly stingy, four overly generous to a greater degree. So three it is.

We'll see. As we always do, who wait around long enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebooted spidey delivers thrills & spills with style, 3 Aug. 2014
Had skipped this at the cinema as it appeared to heavily marketed towards young adults (and also felt apparently inappropriately soon as a reboot to the excellent Sam Remi movies) - so I had (wrongly) assumed it wouldn't be interesting/OK for aging adults.

Well, I'm pleased to say I was "totes wrong" about that - nice adaptation/re-imagining, with some stand-out acting all round.

Obviously a ton of hocum, but delivered with confidence and panache.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic film, 9 Jun. 2014
Highly recommended!! The new spiderman films are really good so much better than the old ones, love it!! Great for all the family.

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh, 24 Dec. 2014
Whine whine, look moody, skateboard, whine. Walk around top-secret Base unchallenged, bit by GM spider. Go home, whine, fall asleep, wow, whine. Show off, whine. Fight lizard. Promise dieing shags dad I'd never see her again as it too dangerous, have finger crossed. Bring on the next film I'm sure nothing bad will happen.
Oh hang on for after credits, wild apparently from Mysterious and.... Who am I kidding, switch off as soon as you can

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 4 Jan. 2015
Tatiana (London, Abbey Wood) - See all my reviews
I'm a huge fan of the original spider man trilogy, and am sad to say that this version turned out quite disappointing really. It just seems to lack tension and drama. Sometimes it feels like a series of computer generated special effects that just fall flat and dull, yet it feels missing the emotion and dramatism of the characters' growth. Very sad.

3.0 out of 5 stars sadly disappointed., 18 Aug. 2014
3 star? If you like fast paced movies then this is your kind of film. I would not, sadly recommend this to someone who either loves the comics or loves to see a in depth story telling cleverly unravel throughout the film. I myself find this a mediocre way of directing a film. I really wanted better but sadly disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic cure for insomnia, 30 Aug. 2014
Dreadful .. after I fell asleep the second time, woke up just at the end and did not bother to rewind.

The Amazing Spider-Man (DVD + UV Copy) [2012]