5.0 out of 5 stars The thinking persons fat loss book.
As a "big boned" chap I was given this book on pre order for Christmas by my wife. I have just finished reading it and felt that I should write a review. For those of you who need to lose weight and are fed up being told to "go for a run and eat a bit less" then this book is for you. It is not a diet book but a collection of well researched and analysed theories...
Published on 30 Dec 2011 by Big Pete

3.0 out of 5 stars CONFUSING!
I borrowed this from the library with hope based on the customer reviews on Amazon. But on closer inspection I found the advice in the book to be rather odd. For instance, he advises take-aways, if you must, based on protein, such as meat or prawn-based curries and omitting the rice. In my opinion if you do that you will end up with diarrhoea. The whole point of the rice...
Published 16 days ago by MissMouse

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Be careful of Kindle version, 14 Jan 2012
This review is from: Escape the Diet Trap (Kindle Edition)
This appears to be a helpful manual that will put me on the road to a lifetime eating plan without counting calories, carbohydrates or fat. Unlike other eating plans (eschewing the term "diet"), you don't mess up if you blow it and Briffa's common-sense comments resonate and affirm my own (eg you don't put on 2lbs of fat overnight - it's a physical impossibility - so return to the plan and don't beat yourself up!).

I'm keen to get started as I'm tired after 40+ years of being confused and unhappy about eating, which should, of course, be a perfectly natural and enjoyable human activity, not some kind of punishment about what goes into my mouth (only to be reflected on the scales). Dr Briffa enlightens readers about cholesterol, margerine, sterols, low fat foods and other marketing ploys.

However, do beware of the Kindle version which contains charts which cannot be enlarged and are (for me at least) unreadable even with a high power magnifying glass, and the text of which is not repeated in a similar format out of the chart. It looks as if, having bought my Kindle version, I might still have to buy the hard version in order to get 100% of the information Briffa's book contains. Shame.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read if you haven't read 'Waist Disposal' but if you have, nothing much new, 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: Escape the Diet Trap (Kindle Edition)
If you have already read his previous, recent book 'Waist Disposal' this book doesn't add much. It's interesting and it reinforces his message, which I wholly agree with, but it's not worth spending the money on. I would choose 'Waist Disposal' over this because it's more practical. But if you want to be reminded and encouraged along in your weight loss goals the extra read might help you. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another New Year - another diet?, 5 Jan 2012
Calum Beatt (Oxford,UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Escape the Diet Trap (Paperback)
I have lost count already (and it is only the 5th January) of friends and relatives who have declared that their New Year resolution is to 'diet'. I am not a betting man but I will happily bet money that 95% of these people will no longer be following their diet by the end of January. Thank god then for John's new book 'Escape The Diet Trap'. I was lucky enough to read and follow John's previous book 'Waist Disposal' and after only a couple of months I managed to lose around 2 stone by following his sensible guidelines and advice. Apart from the initial fortnight which I must admit was a challenge I soon got into the habit of eating sensibly and the end result was losing the middle age spread which I had tried to shift unsuccessfully following traditional 'low fat' diets.

This new publication follows on from his previous publication and is an easy to follow and logical step by step process that shows that with very little effort anyone can shift that excess weight that they carry around and in my case, which made me very unhappy. As a result of following John's guidelines not only am I lighter, but happier, I have more energy than ever before, I sleep better and the biggest positive is other people commenting on how good I look. When people refer to my new eating habits as a 'diet' I am quick to correct them - I tell them it is merely sensible eating as nature intended. The reason I am loathed to refer to this as a 'diet' is that most people on a diet are a) miserable b) hungry and c) constantly dieting in an attempt to lose weight. I am none of these - I still go out for a couple of beers with friends during the week, and have 2 or 3 cappuccinos a week without the 'guilt' associated with dieting. I eat dark chocolate,butter, full fat Greek yogurt and as many eggs as I want - I guarantee that most diets would have these in their 'avoid' column.

To summarise, this book will change your life - a much over-used phrase I agree,especially in this area of science. John's easy to follow publication busts several long standing myths apart of what you should and should not eat.Buy this book and you will not regret it, I promise you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'diet' that works - effortlessly!, 26 July 2012
Jc Raynor "HSD_fan" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Escape the Diet Trap (Paperback)
This is diet book. But 'diet' in the original sense of the word IE what you eat, rather than today's meaning: 'a temporary change in what you eat'.

I bought the book about 6 months ago, read it, and thought 'this is making a lot of sense'. I've always had the nagging suspicion that there was far more to this 'obesity crisis' (including my own!) than met the eye. I just couldn't see how or why I got so overweight from eating so little, compared to others. And what an earth were people doing to turn into those blubber mountains you see on TV?

In this book the reasons for this, and means to address the problem, are presented with reference to research to support them. Although - obviously - no author is going to refer to research that contradicts his own opinion, at least it does give some factual basis to the content - it isn't just the author's opinions.

As others have said, unless you want the references to the latest research, don't bother buying this book if you have one of Dr B's earlier weight-loss books.

I haven't followed the book's dietary advice fanatically. I still eat some 'bad' stuff, but only occasionally, and try to keep the bulk of my eating in the areas recommended: in essence more meat and fats. Yes, the suggested diet is Atkins-like, but not completely the same.

I can report that in less than 6 months, I have lost almost 2 stones (over 6Kg). And, it was effortless. I'm no longer permanently hungry; I eat whenever I feel hungry and eat as much as I want.

If I'd been more dedicated in following the advice, I reckon I could easily have lost half as much weight again. My weight loss is typically about a pound a week, and that is still continuing.

It was a bit hard to start with as I missed many of my favourite foods. But it was only because I was used to them, and I soon got accustomed to the new diet. And as I say, I had occasional 'treats'. Nothing much seemed to happen for a couple of weeks or so, and I was thinking 'why am I bothering?' But as the book points out, it takes a while for your body to change the way it's been working and wean itself off the 'quick fix' of processed carbohydrates. After that initial period, everything started getting better... A few months on, and despite eating fewer carbohydrates, I feel I have more energy than I used to. I also sleep better, and don't wake up in the middle of the night, unable to get back to sleep, anywhere near as much as I used to.

As to exercise, Dr B says whilst it does increase your fitness and well-being, it's really no help at all in losing weight. Co-incidentally, there's a report on the BBC News site today quoting the results of a study that says just that. It concludes 'to lose weight, eat less'. Though in light of the book's advice, I'd amend that to `eat better.' I certainly haven't exercised at all to lose the weight I have.

If you want to lose some weight, without having to exercise or starve yourself, then this is the regime for you! Give it a month to start working though. It was the best 3.99 I've ever spent at Amazon

My problem now is too many of my clothes don't fit me very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilled to have found this book, 15 Jun 2012
This review is from: Escape the Diet Trap (Paperback)
Whilst I am not very overweight, the pounds have been creeping on over the years, and recently stuff like WW and calorie counting just haven't been working. Even though I've only lost 4lbs in 2 weeks, I feel this is the healthiest way for everyone to eat. It's great when I feel hungry to be able to have a boiled egg with mayo, or slice of beef. No more going to bed with a rumbling tummy, don't wake up feeling hungry either.

The first week was difficult without bread,pasta and cereal, and I almost gave up, but now I'm used to it and can't imagine eating any other way. If your stuck for ideas for meals, just go through your existing recipes, and use butter and olive oil, and don't have the carbs, or not too many.

What could be nicer that a juicy steak, asparagus in butter, strawberries and fresh cream for dessert and a glass of red wine, divine!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly practical and back up by solid science, 8 Jan 2012
This review is from: Escape the Diet Trap (Paperback)
This book is needed more than ever. As a recent New York Time feature article demonstrates, even well-educated people are still totally confused about how to lose weight and keep it off. The Diet Trap explains it all in highly readable and well-organised format, backed up by solid science thanks to the author's comprehensive understanding of the medical and nutritional research.

Dr. Briffa does a particularly good job explaining the place of exercise in weight loss in particular and for overall health. His suggestions for implementing a diverse natural diet, with a positive emphasis on healthy meat and animal fat are entirely sensible and highly practical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended!, 2 Aug 2012
M. Morton "A Reader" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Escape the Diet Trap (Paperback)
I have been following the advice of this book for nearly two weeks. Over the past couple of years, I have been putting on weight and have felt ill most of the time - extremely sluggish, sick, and dizzy. On some days, it has been difficult to get out of bed, let alone concentrate on work. My doctor thought I could be suffering from Coeliac Disease, but when the blood test came back negative, she was unable to suggest an alternative diagnosis. I chose to research matters for myself, and came across Dr Briffa's book. It is early days, but I've started to lose weight. More importantly, I feel so much better. I've much more energy, and no longer feel ill. As a scientific layman, I don't pretend to understand the science, but I intend to follow Dr Briffa's advice for the long term.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diagrams on the kindle, 16 Jan 2012
P. A. Downs (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Escape the Diet Trap (Paperback)
A couple of people are having problem with the diagrams on the Kindle edition, so here are the instructions.

You need to move the cursor down to the chart (use the 5 way button). You should then get a small magnifying glass symbol, indicating that you can enlarge the diagram. Click the 5-way and the diagram will enlarge - though it may take a few seconds.

To return to the text, hit 'back', or 'next page'. If all this still doesn't work, you may have a faulty copy.

The book itself (aside from handling the diagrams) is very good. Clearly written and well researched - it's easy to see that Dr Britta has broadly based his ideas around the medical literature. It doesn't give you a set of recipes - what it tries to do is make you understand what foods are good for you, what will help you lose weight, and what won't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 April 2012
Helen Simpson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Escape the Diet Trap (Paperback)
This is a brilliant book. I have lost a stone and a half in three months, but, more important, I have enjoyed it; I have never been hungry; I feel I have a plan for the future which I can easily keep to; and I am totally convinced by the medical evidence about the health benefits of following the advice in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this, 1 Feb 2012
This review is from: Escape the Diet Trap (Paperback)
This is one of many books explaining why most people have the wrong ideas (mainly for economical and political reasons) and why. Anyone who has failed to lose weight with diets and exercise should read it without preconceptions and decide whether the arguments make sense. My experience and that of many people I know (some of which are medical doctors) is consistent with most of the arguments of the book, and although this are anecdotal cases, you may ask yourself how come they worked so well against current medical mainstream... exactly as the book says they should have worked. Give it a try; it is likely to make you reconsider many premises about diets and weight loss.

If you want a more technical and thoroughly referenced one, try "Good Calories, Bad Calories"; it will take you weeks (if not months) to check all the scientific articles.

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›