5.0 out of 5 stars I will listen next time!!!
This book kept coming up as suggestions to buy for ages, but being a stubborn person and wanting to choose my own books, I ignored it. Well as you can see I gave in and bought it.
Published on 19 Feb 2012 by Fredbearblue

3.0 out of 5 stars Run of the mill lesbian love story
Published 19 months ago by Stef

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I will listen next time!!!, 19 Feb 2012
This review is from: Jericho (Kindle Edition)
I think its about the best lesbian love story I have ever read, and in my lesbian lifetime I have read a lot. It was so moving and graphic that I felt I was an intruder sitting and listening to them as they eventually fell in love. I felt every emotion along with them and enjoyed ever page. I have longed for a decent book about real love and this is it. Thank you Ann McMan for superb story. I was torn between wanting to know how it ended and never wanting it to end. Hopefully there will be more books to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully written romance, 16 Oct 2011
Jericho by Ann McMan

Syd (Margaret) Murphy, packs up her home in Durham and begins the long drive to Virginia. Her life in Durham is over, just like her ill fated marriage to Jeff. She has an eighteen month contract to set up and run a new library in Virginia. This will be a complete new beginning for her.

Dr Maddie Stevenson moved back to Virginia to take over her deceased father's medical practice. She is currently driving to North Carolina when she notices a blue Volvo with it's flashers on at the side of the road and a flat tire. She pulls over. This chance meeting between Syd and Maddie means that life for both women as they know it will never be the same again.
Syd explains to Maddie that she is on her way to Jericho to set up a new library. Of course, Maddie knows all about the project. Maddie changes the tire for Syd and they have coffee by the river with Maddie's dog Pete and then go their own separate ways.

Maddie and Syd run into each other a few more times and it seems they are destined to become friends. It's not long before Maddie and Syd begin to spend a lot of time together and Syd becomes friends with Maddie's closest friends, David and his partner Michael, the local inn owners.

Before long, Maddie begins to feel a strong attraction to Syd, but denies her feelings, after all, Syd is still married and straight, isn't she? None of this stops David from throwing the two women together and trying to play matchmaker, much to Maddie's annoyance. What will happen when Syd finds out Maddie is gay? Will she still want her as a friend? Or will she be so disgusted she won't want to see Maddie anymore?

Syd is feeling rather confused about her own feelings towards Maddie. She doesn't want to let on about the attraction she is feeling for her. Maddie may not want her as a friend if she finds out. Will Syd be able to hide her feelings? Maddie mustn't find out, she may be so disgusted, she might not want Syd as a friend anymore?

Will Syd and Maddie finally admit how they feel for each other?

This first book by Ann McMan does not read like a debut novel. The book is well written and is a nice long read and full to the brim with the delightful, humorous story of Syd and Maddie, their friends and colleagues, their lives, jobs, hopes and their quest for love. The characters are well formed, honed to perfection in fact.

Maddie and Syd's characters grabbed me right from the beginning. Their lives and that of their friends reads like a dream. There is a very strong and excellent cast of supporting characters. I loved David and Michael, their two forever friends. As the book progressed, more likeable characters are introduced. All of which fit seamlessly into the story adding a richness to my reading experience. To say I enjoyed this book would be an understatement. Loved, adored, brilliant, laugh out loud and amusing would also not begin to do this book justice.

Where the walls of Jericho once came tumbling down, so the walls around Syd's and Maddie's hearts also crumbled piece by piece until all that is left there is pure unadulterated love.

Once in a while a good romance really makes an impression on me. This is high on my list for a re-read and I've clearly marked Ann McMan's future books as a must buy. I hope there is a sequel in the pipeline to Jericho. These characters have so much more to offer. I want to see where they go next. If you like romance and you want a good book to curl up with on a few cold winter nights, this is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a read!, 19 Feb 2012
This review is from: Jericho (Kindle Edition)
This was a brilliant read, not only did I want to keep reading it but I didn't want it to end. A truely positive and lovely love story. The characters are strong and its beautifully written describing the emotions of falling in love a a lesbian perfectly. Cant wait for more from Ann McMan

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, absolutely brilliant read!!, 17 Mar 2012
This review is from: Jericho (Kindle Edition)
Decided to take a chance on this, partly I confess as it had good reviews already. I couldn't put it down; it's a fascinating combination of a romance story but with pure comedy as well. I was literally laughing out loud at some of the dialogue, a crack a minute!

It's also slightly rare in that its written in such a way that it's at the right pace, I guess by that I mean I didn't feel as you can in some lesbian romance that the author does a cursory introduction to a character or place then moves on swiftly so you feel you are rushed through the book to get to the inevitable twist before the happy ending.

I truly hope we get lots more wonderfully written books by this great new author.

Well done Ann McMan!

3.0 out of 5 stars Run of the mill lesbian love story, 15 Dec 2012
This review is from: Jericho (Kindle Edition)
After reading a number of rave reviews for this book I was anticipating the discovery of another favourite author of lesbian fiction, of the calibre of Sarah Waters, JM Redmann or Emma Donoghue. I have to say I was highly disappointed. That is not to say that is wasn't an enjoyable read, because it was. The story was engaging, if a little slow paced, and it had the heart-warming, hope-giving qualities that one expects from a good romance novel.

The use of language, however, leaves something to be desired. It occurred to me on more than one occasion while I was reading it that it is a pity it couldn't have been translated into English. The author's persistent use of non-words such as 'dimly lighted'(instead of lit) and 'drug' (to mean 'dragged') begins to grate after a while.

Putting that aside, the plot reads like a rather juvenile fantasy. The romantic lead is implausibly perfect, with her 6 foot stature which is mentioned at least once per chapter, and her exquisite taste in fine wines, classical music and English literature, her 2 expensive cars and her endless skills in home appliance maintenance, car mechanics, animal husbandry, singing, oh yes, and she's a doctor and licensed pilot as well. The singular piece of action in the the book is heavily foreshadowed enough as to make it inevitable when it finally occurs, and our heroine's 'saving the day' is not more of a surprise than the supposed shock announcement from a certain old lady's hospital bed turns out to be.

If you enjoy the works of the likes of Gerry Hill, Georgia Beers and co, I think you will find this early Ann McMan enjoyable as any of their books. For myself, I am choosing to give the author the benefit of the doubt on my prior criticisms, rating it a 3 out 5, and not ruling out dipping into some of her later work. After all, it is a nice little love story, and a pleasant enough way to pass a weekend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful slow burn romance, 17 April 2012
Alison J. M. Hill (Buckinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jericho (Paperback)
Quite frankly this is one of the best books I've ever read. Although I read it on my Kindle, I liked it so much I just had to own a hard-copy. I just couldn't put it down but didn't want it to finish. The book is a good satisfying length and the romance builds with such delectable slowness it makes you ache for what you hope will be the inevitable. I found the characters well rounded and believable. Witty and well structured, it's just begging to be made into a movie or film for TV. I'm looking forward to hopefully many more by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful read, 4 Mar 2012
This review is from: Jericho (Kindle Edition)
From the beginning to end I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I have read so many lesbian books but this by far is up there with the best. I could not put it down. It was a wonderful read I didn't want to end. I actually felt sad when it was finished and cannot wait to read it again. Everybody who reads this will fall in love with both characters, Syd and Maddie.

Thank you so much to the author - pretty amazing this is her first book!

5.0 out of 5 stars i read it twice, 1 Mar 2012
This review is from: Jericho (Kindle Edition)
Any self respecting lesbian reader must buy this book, what a read, in my desperation to finish it to find out what happens i needed to read it a second time to absorb it in its entieraty, i trully could not put it down and reading it a second time doubled my pleasure and joy of a wonderful and beautifully written novel. Lets hope there are several more where that came from and lets hope that sometime in the future Syd and Maddie can enthrall us again as i'd love to read about their future plans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable, 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: Jericho (Kindle Edition)
A very well written, interesting and captivating story, can't wait to read the next book. I can recommend this book for good enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars as comforting as apple pie - a sweet love story, 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: Jericho (Kindle Edition)
This was sugary sweet romance from start to finish, but I couldn't put it down! If you like a home spun small community live story then you will like this

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›