on 22 July 2014
Here are the Ant and Cleo books in sequence. Don't give me any credit, though, because I copied them from a review of one of the other books - anonymous, unfortunately, so I can't credit the reviewer either.
1. Saucerers and Gondoliers
2. Sister Ships and Alastair
3. There Ain't Gonna Be No World War Three
4. Destination Alpha Four
5. Dog On The Highway
on 21 June 2012
Hmmmm, yes ...interesting, I really enjoyed Saucerers and Gondoliers, it was a new slant on sci fi humour and very original. The author has a good writing voice and introduces some great characters, notably Ant and Cleo, our heroes and Truman J Slughound, the super tracking slug that can find our heroes anywhere and then helps on numerous occasions with escapes. This sci fi world has various secret colonies in space, unknown to the rest of us down here on earth. We meet the Russians, still very soviet , the Americans who are very 'red neck' and the Brits who are 'very British!'
The Russian, Captain Popov was a great character who had me grinning several times and I may well be one of the few readers that remembers the Banana Splits from my childhood summer mornings during school holiday, thanks for that blast from the past.
All in all a very entertaining story, well written and edited, I would look for more from this author.
on 10 August 2013
As per previous reviews on the other 2 in the series absolutely a hoot and the concept really allows for imaginations to run riot. Made me laugh out loud in public on a par with Tom Sharpe. Do not be put off by it appearing to be written for the young market I am 70 and loved it.
on 3 December 2013
Although this series is written for children, there's a lot for grown-ups that children wouldn't get. At times hilarious, this series had me laughing out loud in several occasions. It helps if you can understand German, Russian, Spanish, Latin and Welsh (oes, Cymraeg!) as the author has sprinkled phrases in these languages liberally throughout. It's worth taking the time to translate these as one or two contain some of the best jokes.

The series is really one, long story and the later books have several references to characters and events from the earlier ones. So it's best to read through this series in order.

I thoroughly enjoyed episodes 1 to 5 and can't wait for the sixth.
on 12 October 2012
This is a great story and is told well.
Maybe it works best for young adults - probably down to younger than that as well, depending on their reading skills and tastes. Certainly there's nothing offensive and it's safe for kids.
It brings in some nice ideas and executes them well.
Without writing a longer review, I'd just say that it shows a good writing talent - some funny moments, good dialogue and characters and a story than has plot, surprises and pace. Certainly while free I'd strongly recommend that you give it a try.
I also liked his other stories, so I guess I get on with his style - I hope others do too as I think he deserves to succeed.
on 24 January 2015
Being a fan of old-school big heavy paper books and something of a miser, I was looking for a free book to upload to my Kindle for times when I couldn't lug my book with me. I discovered smallworld by the same author, trawling through the SF section of the Amazon book store, liked it, and looked for some of his other books. Saucerers and gondoliers is a ripping yarn set (mostly) in space, and if you can suspend belief for a few hours (how does a slug evolve to eat man-made materials?) this book is well worth the asking price. I look forward to downloading more in the series (certainly the free ones!)
on 25 January 2015
I've now finished reading all seven books in the Ant and Cleo series and have really enjoyed them all. The author has a dry sense of humour which often had me chuckling out loud. His characters come from different English regions and other countries, and he manages to spell their words in a way that enables you to hear all the accents. I hope he continues the series further. I imagine he will as the "baddies" haven't been finished off yet.
The main characters are teenagers but that wasn't a problem for me at all (I'm 69).
Well done Dominic !
on 22 January 2014
The first book I read in this series was destination Alpha Four and I liked it so much that I decided to read the whole series and didn't regret it. The author borrows with humour from many American and British science fiction, espionage and fantasy genres, to create truly original, intelligent and funny stories with likable characters and a space opera setting. Each book can be read independently but it is best to read them in order. I highly recommend these books to those who don't take themselves too seriously and like works of imagination.
on 10 December 2012
I read this in one sitting, the story flowed nicely and was a nice use of a spare afternoon. I dropped a star because it was written for the kids/YA market but some of the references were a bit too esoteric for that audience. I was Ant n` Cleo`s age when the banananana splits were broadcast. But i loved the story and have just bought the first sequel "Sister ships and Alastair". I got the the first book for free and think it would be well worthwhile for you to get it while you can. You wont be disappointed.
on 4 April 2013
An enjoyable novella thingy, long story (oh whatever you call such things). The literature equivalent of a double-espresso.

Not as perfect as little-star etc, which I would also recommend, so I must reserve the extra star, but a lovely way to cheer up a few hours, if yonly fyor the atryocious Ryussian yaccents, and Truman D. Slughound is genius.

I've bought the rest, and you should too.