on 6 April 2010
a good read about a boy who drops out of college to look after some fish and grows up in an isolated cabin. the Author manages to show himself as a boy on the brink of man hood who learns the value of hard work and other people without being preachy. this is one of those books you read and enjoy and know in a couple of years time you will read again with equal pleasure. unlike most American writers this one can tell the story against himself without vanity or excuse.He should never have taken the job but he did and with no experiance made a go of it. well worth reading
on 11 January 2011
I absolutely loved this book, I found the writing completely absorbing and his growth from naive visitor to mountain man held my interest all the way through. I can only reitterate the comments of other reviewers in heartily recommending this book for anyone who has even a passing interest in the outdoors
on 17 April 1998
What an incredible story! Much of the emotion I felt was created by the descriptive nature of the author's experiences. It was a difficult book to set down once I got into it...wanting to learn more about this "greenhorn" and how he was going to make it through 7 months of living in solitude. A MUST READ!
on 8 May 2010
This book turned out to be a wonderful read. I would strongly recommend it to anyone even vaguely interested in the outdoors. It's uncomplicated, honest and thoroughly interesting. Who could imagine that a story about seven months of virtual isolation could be so full of interesting incidents? There was no point in the book that would make you feel that the author is padding it out.
I found it frightening though, that a person with so little experience of the wilderness, could so easily be left to fend for himself through an entire winter in what can be hostile terrain. That said you can clearly see the author grow and mature as spring emerges, an initiation into manhood of a kind.
It's a fast read, an interesting read and one of my favourite books year to date.
on 6 August 2008
Indian Creek Chronicles: A Winter Alone in the WildernessA breath of fresh air! No dusty memoirs of vaguely superior and arrogant wildmen dressed in archaic prose, like Grey Owl, rather an embarrasingly honest description of a young man blundering in the footsteps of his backwood idols, learning things the hard way and surviving
on 25 February 2014
I didn't know what to expect when I opened this book, but any possible negativity was blown away in the first few minutes. Fromm's background is in fiction, a skill he uses to great effect to make his non-fiction flow like the waters often referenced within the book. I was sucked in by his sparkling prose and devoured this in less than two days. Mr. Fromm, I applaud you!
on 7 November 2012
Fromm's does what a lot of men dream of doing but never get round to/dare to do. He spends a winter living in the woods without any of the mod cons we're used to. Simply being a man. And it makes for a great story. Simple things become a matter of life and death and there are also comical moments. It's gripping because of its authenticity. Keep going back to it.
on 28 March 2011
My wife, my son, and I all thought this was a brilliant book, so it oviously will have a wide appeal! An unpretentious, unsparing account of an ingenué's coming to terms with the wilderness and winter. We were with him every step of the way. And the copy I bought was an ex British Columbia travelling library copy - very appropriate!
on 18 April 2016
This is an honest and interesting account of a student who 'drops' out to do a random job in the wilderness with no real idea of whats involved in wilderness living. Thoroughly enjoyable, easily read and will appeal to those who like reading about the outdoors, nature, and living in the wild.
on 15 February 2011
I rather enjoyed the book even though it went a little bit slow in parts.
You can't help but like the autor and his naiveity (sp) at times.
I would buy the book again and would recommend it to others.