on 28 November 2012
I had forgotten how much I enjoyed reading Monica Dickens - last read probably when I was in my 20s, about 40 years ago. Her descriptions, particularly of people, are so vivid that you get a really clear picture. This book has been a pleasure to read again.
on 24 February 2014
Although I enjoyed this book - the heroine didn't grab me. I thought she had more gumption than displayed in the book. Perhaps the author intended her to be a weak character. Not one of Monica Dickens best.
on 11 July 2013
I read all of Monica Dickens books over forty years ago, and was delighted when they were reprinted. I was even more pleased that i still enjoyed this book and it was as I remember it.
on 1 March 2013
Interesting ideas and characters you care about, - great insight into the complexities of relationships and of "life's rich tapestry"
on 21 May 2016
Oh gosh. They don't write women characters like this anymore, thankfully. A super-smart middle-class girl who can outwit fearsome bosses and an overpowering mother but becomes a passive victim when she marries an abusive working-class weakling. Give me strength. Well written (Dickens - granddaughter of Charles - always wrote fluidly) car-crash fiction, and hard to put down, but hideous, like watching an insect writhing on a pin.
on 26 October 2013
I love the way Monica Dickens writes and draws you into the world of the book. A good story and a real page turner.
on 29 November 2014
I like Monica Dickens books as she paints a really good picture of the characters, and this book is no exception.
on 2 August 2014
Excellent
on 29 September 2011
I love all Monica Dickens books--impossible to pick a favourite-I am hoping that from now they will all be available on Kindle very soon.