Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 28 August 2007
This is a little darker than the cover synopsis implies. Sandra & Martha are very different, but both hide secret guilt - one from an early bereavement & the other from a more recent tragedy. Their complex relationship evolves as they work together on a knitting exhibition: they both ultimately learn a lot about themselves as they resolve the inevitable stresses from working on a huge project. The most unlikely part of the book is the friendship that underpins the plot: Sandra uses people for her own ends & Martha subverts her own desires into making things for other people. However, the book does begin to explain the emotions behind what is, to non knitters, the unbelievable behaviour of a yarnaholic.
on 10 January 2013
I wasn't looking for this book or this author....the book just presented itself on one of my trawls through the kindle book lists. My interest was caught as I tried to think why anyone would give a book such a title when it is fiction; so I had to read it and try to marry up the content and the story.
I'm an avid reader - and I have not read a book like this before. Sometimes, in even the best books you get those pages where you start skimming or wondering when this section will end because the writing has flagged somewhat or it's just gone off the boil. Not so with this book.....it was mesmerising from start to finish. One reviewer said you don't need to 'get' the knitting references. And you don't but it does add so much to the enjoyment if you can understand being excited by a basket of different wools and colours! I admit to being one of those people myself so the book had an extra layer of enjoyment for me.
And no - the subject is not knitting but it is a great metaphor for what goes on in the story.
Ms Bartlett must be a very serious 'people-watcher'; there are observations and truths in the story that I sometimes felt uncomfortable with. Someone suggested it was an easy read and light hearted, which I usually take to mean a bit of meaningless fluff or whimsy which is easily forgotten. 'Knitting' is absolutely not that!
Don't be put off by the title or by the trivial picture on the cover. Plunge in and enjoy....it ended too soon for me; I may have to start over again!
on 30 January 2015
Quite a different approach to a book incorporating a knitting theme. There were some wonderful and informed considerations and descriptions on historical knitting that were enjoyable. The main characters, Sandra and Martha, both battling with their own grief and complex mental health, provided the reader with an insight into the diversities of their personalities and backgrounds. As both Sandra and Martha battled their own demons they united in their mutual interest in knitting. The story unravelled with interest and while I would recommend it to seasoned knitters and those interested in literacy it was by no means 'twee'. A good read.
on 26 July 2010
This was a brilliantly spun story. A must read for anyone remotely interested in textiles knitting /spinning etc, but also a wonderfully crafted work of words woven into the development of an unlikely friendship challenging the preconcieved ideas that people sometimes have about one another.
on 14 November 2010
Had looked for a light hearted, trivial read and so got this. No, it's not a tome or deadly serious, but it was more about friendship and well being than knitting as such. Happy to have read it but it hasn't changed my life.
on 4 November 2012
Nice story, easy reading. Knitting is not really the focus of this story, more about different personality issues / slight obsessions. But very enjoyable.
on 1 January 2014
Brilliant story about how people cope with their problems and how other people see us. Really touching story all knitted together with love and knitting.
on 3 December 2014
I knit and natter. I am also a trained psychotherapist. This book holds up in both areas and is quite simply a good yarn!
on 13 May 2013
I really enjoyed this book as it was different to my usual 'crime thrillers' that I read. It also had a happy ending :-)
on 16 March 2011
This book is a must for you, if you have read and thoroughly enjoyed all the Debbie Macomber books re. The Good Yarn.