5.0 out of 5 stars Finally.. A streamer that WORKS.
Ordered this item on the weekend and took two days to arrive, and packaged very well (Amazon always packages exceedingly well!) I read reviews about this one and the Hub version, but as I already have many 1TB drives (and read that the internal drive kept on failing for people in the Hub version) I went for this one.

Now, I've been looking for a decent streamer...
Published on 25 Jan 2012 by AffanB

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well in some ways and struggles in others
Published on 16 Aug 2012 by Le Feu Follet

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally.. A streamer that WORKS., 25 Jan 2012
This review is from: WD TV Live Media Player (Accessory)

Now, I've been looking for a decent streamer for a LONG time. I have PS3's, a 360, an Apple TV, an Xtreamer Ultra, NONE work as well as this little box does.

Firstly, it plays everything. My PS3 was lacking this (even jailbroken) as was my Apple TV, the Xtreamer Ultra is shambles (selling it), and the 360 stuttered. This little box played all my HD, mkv formats, smoothly, and what surprised me even more, is that it streamed a 720p .mkv from my MacBook Pro wirelessly, with no lag or stuttering! My PS3 can't even handle 720p movies unless it's plugged via ethernet, but both my laptop AND PS3 must be hooked via ethernet in order for streaming to be fluid. This is a MAJOR plus point, and i'm really very impressed.

Secondly, it detects all my NAS storage and connects well, including my WD World Edition MyBook. It does however take time to index files from external HDD's, which can get a bit annoying, as the interface lags a bit due to it and at one point it got stuck and didn't move till I disconnected my HDD. I'm sure this will be fixed in a FW update. But it indexes files fine from my HDD's and shows all the clips and thumbnails.

Thirdly, Apps. They work well with the UI, I have Spotify premium and i'm using it all the time now, works really well! Haven't tried the other apps, but i'm sure they are as good. I like the colour co-ordination in the apps which matches the UI. UI is fluid and is good for a Media Player.

Lastly, should you buy this? Yes. Don't waste your money on things which won't work out of the box, don't spend hundreds on sophisticated items, you simply need one little box which does it all. Reason I chose this over the Apple TV (for all the fan boys out there) is because I can't be bothered to jailbreak it and install apps etc, it has no external HDD support and even though it's an Apple product, it's pretty much useless to me as I have all my media on HDD's, I don't rent.

So, this is a worthwhile investment, you don't need an ethernet connection to stream fluidly (perhaps a good connection though, mine is 20MB), if you want an ethernet connection and have no port in your room I suggest you get the WD Livewire, or TP-LINK ethernet plug. I have the TP-LINK one and works perfect with all my stuff.

Overall:

- Streams Movies, HD and SD, amazingly well with no stuttering
- Apps are great, work well
- UI is user friendly
- Expandable, ext HDD friendly
- Does what it says on the tin.

5/5 Stars, well done WD!

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well in some ways and struggles in others, 16 Aug 2012
This review is from: WD TV Live Media Player (Accessory)
I have had one of these for about a month now, and I am quite pleased with it. There are some ways in which it struggles, however. I have some high-definition movie files, and these will not play over Wi-Fi without stopping and starting. This did not surprise me. I have connected a 2 TB external hard disk to the unit through the unit's USB2 port and now I can watch all my movies with no problem. The WD TV does struggle to manage the hard disk, however. Sometimes the WD TV gets into difficulties and reboots itself and then says the hard disk is not connected, even though the system has not been touched. I then disconnect both WD TV and the hard disk from the power and reconnect them, and when the system comes up again the WD TV can again see the hard disk. All this is a lot of irksome hassle. If I delete a film from the hard disk using the WD TV's functionality to do this, it takes about five minutes for the system to recover and to reread the hard drive, so there is no way that I would tackle deleting several films because it would simply take too long. I do feel that the USB2 interface is just too slow for this unit and it is a shame that a faster interface has not been provided, such as USB3, FireWire or thunderbolt, for example. The WD TV has never failed to read the diverse video files that I have, including .VOB folders and ISOs. I have a Flickr account and the WD TV has a Flickr app, but the app is not capable of logging into an account, so it is pretty useless. The WD TV is amazingly good at getting a film's ratio correct without any intervention from me. I am using it with a 42 inch Panasonic plasma TV.

Edit (12th May 2014): I have registered with Netflicks and I'm using the Netflicks app in the WD TV Live to watch Breaking Bad. Typically, when I want to watch something on Netflicks it takes about ten minutes before I'm settled and watching the item, and I feel as though I've been through an assault course to make it work. Initially it took three tries to get a BB episode to load. On the first two tries the WD TV Live rebooted itself. The next problem is that an episode starts without the sound. To cure this I walk across my sitting room and pull the power plug out of the WD TV Live and wait for it to restart. This has happened four times. The next problem is that an episode starts with a pink cast, or wash, across the image. This has happened twice. So yes, that's three types of problem encountered so far (in about a fortnight). Everything the WD TV does is so S-L-O-W. When I have to reboot it (often!), or when it reboots itself, I wait until its home screen appears on the TV, and then it says 'Connecting to the network'. Just that takes about 30 second. Then, at the top of the screen I see that it is re-cataloging the attached hard disk. I'm now amazed that the WD development guys judged that this device was fit to be released to go into production. If Apple's motto is "It just works", Western Digital's motto must be "It can be made to work." It just takes patience, patience, patience.... I'm now wondering what device to buy to watch Netflicks without hassle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Most versatile media player that is streaming and hard drive friendly, 6 April 2014
This review is from: WD TV Live Media Player (Accessory)
This is quite simply the most versatile media player I've encountered, however, my primary source is a hard drive. It streams well too.

Local/LAN playback:
- Easy to setup either way. You can automatically "Get Info" on your films (make sure you name them correctly), which adds images, synopses, trailers and so on automatically. It works with every format you can think of, and is the only player that seems perfect in this regard.
- LAN playback for me is imperfect with 1080p files. For lower resolution video it's fine. This is both Windows, Mac and Linux compatible.
- NAS friendly.

Streaming:
- A range of services are preinstalled and you can't add any more. The main ones are Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Spotify, YouTube and WD's own cloud sync.
- Netflix works flawlessly. It automatically optimises quality up to their "Super HD" format and where available, surround sound will be used.
- BBC iPlayer works perfectly, with the HD option, but it's quite clunky.
- Spotify works but it's clunky and you can't choose to force HQ playback.
- YouTube works very well, and you can automatically connect your mobile device (i.e. choose video on phone and play on TV) if you're on the same network.

Video:
- Full HD works perfectly, with maximum 1080p 60Hz output.

Audio:
- DTS and Dolby Digital, etc. surround sound friendly.
- Has an optical socket. Make sure you select it from Setup if you use it.
- Plays most audio formats, including MP3, AAC, MP4, FLAC. Not the nicest interface though.

Interface:
- Basic and intuitive. No navigation problems. Can be customized (colours, background, etc.)
- You can change the view settings of your films. So you can have a list or detailed pages with stills and synopses. This looks really good.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very useful little engine, 30 Dec 2011
This review is from: WD TV Live Media Player (Accessory)
I've had this little fellow for a few weeks now and so far I'm quite impressed. It does exactly what I bought it for: It plays every file type I have in my media library such as MKVs, AVIs, MP4s, WMVs, MP3s, M4As, WMAs - with a range of different video and audio codecs.

However, the fly in the ointment is the slightly inconsistent and confusing interface. On the plus side you can hook up to your media source(s) via DLNA, SMB or NFS to aggregate all your media from different locations using the player's "My Media Library" feature. But the problem - and it's not a particularly big problem - that comes with this is the device doesn't make it particularly easy to browse and view your media and its metadata. You get several different views of your media depending on the content type but none of these views provides a clean, consistent route to what you want to watch. Also, small glitches such as the thumbnails for the first episode of each TV series not showing up sours what would otherwise be a great experience.

The firmware updates do come thick and fast though so these bugs may be ironed out before so very long. As of writing the firmware version is 1.05.18.

Overall a 90% satisfied customer!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Player, 18 Nov 2011
This review is from: WD TV Live Media Player (Accessory)
It sets up in a few minutes and connected to my home DLNA (Windows Media Player) Server in no time. Already had a couple of firmware upgrades which seems to have resolved a couple of small issues I had. Streaming is smooth over wireless, though I am only streaming around 720 and not 1080p. One observation is that the supplied video cable is a waste of time, and simply doesn't do the box any justice. Replace this immediately and run HDMI which shows the interface in its full glory.

It is intuitive and easy to use, and although you may need a little PC knowledge to set up your media sharing, the instruction manual (only found on line here.... [...]) is pretty helpful. I would recommend streaming from a DLNA NAS rather than PC, but honestly that is more for convenience of not having to have the PC always on rather than anything else.

It seems to support every file format I need it to, and overall, I am more than happy with it. Much more flexible than Apple TV and all in all a better box in my view.

***UPDATE***

I have had this over two months now, and have not changed my opinion. BBC iPlayer and NetFlix are now supported in the services menu, which is great. The Media Library function needs read/write access to your media server, and adds great value by giving details of cast, director, artwork running time etc.

As an aside, another review stated not to expect great results with HD wireless streaming. To be clear, although I haven't tried 1080p HD, I am easily streaming 720p HD throughout the house, and the WD TV Live never misses a beat. Generally this is MPEG4 (ISO and VOB formats are also fine) and up to 6Mbps (generally around 1Mbps) streaming rate over a pretty standard home wireless router (802.11n @ 2.4GHZ). My BT Home Hub2 streams well to one device, but with multiple can start to drop out. I must stress this is nothing to do with the WD TV Live, but worth noting. My LinkSys X3000 copes easily with 3+ simultaneous 720p HD streams.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised on Western Digital website, 15 Jan 2013
This review is from: WD TV Live Media Player (Accessory)
Beware: some of these units will allow UK services such as BBC iPlayer, but some block them. I bought one of these six weeks ago. It is brilliant! Everything works, including BBC iPlayer and ACE Trax Movies.
I also have a WDTV Live Hub in my living room, which acts as a player and also as storage, with one internal 1TB drive two external 2TB drives attached, and communicates happily with my WDTV Live Streaming player in my bedroom through the home wireless network. Both have latest firmware updates, BBC iPlayer ,etc.
Last week I bought a second WDTV Live Streaming for the dining room and added to the wireless network. It is exactly the same model number as the one I bought six weeks previously, but alas, it isn't the same! It connects happily to the network, and updates to exactly the same firmware version, but it DOESN'T have BBC iPlayer or other UK-specific services. It doesn't even have ACE Trax Movies, despite a voucher for three free movies being included with the unit.
The support from Western Digital is extremely poor: I told them I had updated to latest firmware, and set location to UK, and their only response was to explain how to update to latest firmware and set location to UK. Since that, I've had no help at all from them.
There is no support avenue through Amazon, only the option of return and refund.
I'm guessing that some units are hard-coded to allow UK services, and others - presumably those that are for reselling outside UK - will block them. You just don't know which you are going to recieve from Amazon.
It's a brilliant unit if everything works, but if you're hoping to have the UK online services, I suggest paying £10-£15 extra and getting it from a UK supplier with a working after-sales customer service.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't keep sound in sync for MP4 AAC, 17 Nov 2012
SlasherMCT (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WD TV Live Media Player (Accessory)
I sent mine back because although it is a lovely little unit, it cannot reliably play back MP4 with AAC variable bit rate audio. Sound drifts out of sync through the movie. It is even worse if you use fast forward or skip to time. This means that if you resume a movie you were watching before the sound will almost certainly be out of sync.

MP4 /AAC is one of the most common formats. There are reports on the WD fora that these problems have been around since 2010 and WD have not fixed them.

Such a shame as in all other respects the unit is awesome with great performance, easy set-up and media browsing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: WD TV Live Media Player (Accessory)
I got this because the family needed a simple way to access Netflix, and it has an optical audio out (useful as my amp is old and has no HDMI inputs). For this, it does the job very well. The only issues we've had is that it sometimes "forgets" settings and also it has frozen a couple of times (marked down a star for this). It will double as a media centre for media stored on an external drive / NAS, and for this it is simple but effective. It won't replace my MediaPortal box, but it will work at a pinch. Plays every format under the sun in 1080p. As a cheap Netflix / iPlayer solution, it's excellent & recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect, 3 Sep 2013
This review is from: WD TV Live Media Player (Accessory)
I'm not sure what the gripe is with the files - this thing has played everything from my media server, home PC and anything else I can throw at it. Add to this BBC iPlayer, Netflix and a host of other channels including YouTube Movies and you have a bargain when you think of how much you'll save on DVDs, iTunes downloads and the like.
Worked straight out of the box - on wired network was perfect and found wireless network in seconds. Painless set-up, easy to use, versatile and looks pretty good out-of-the-box too.
Simple remote control and you can use your iPhone, Android device whatever as a remote.
I haven't watched live TV since I set it up.
Brilliant.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, can be better, 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: WD TV Live Media Player (Accessory)
I have been using this for about a month now. I purchased it to play media, mainly recorded HD content, stored on a Synology NAS on my home network as well as stream YouTube videos. Prior to this, I used a PS3, which works fine except it plays some HD recordings without sound and its fan is noisy.

Pros:

**Easy and quick setup. I am using a wired network and HDMI plugged into an AV receiver.
**Played every format that I have tried. Good picture and sound. Easy to navigate (with the smartphone apps).
**Quiet operation.

Cons:
**The remote control supplied is very slow. The iOS / android app remote work better.
**YouTube streaming is unstable, the device very often crashes when going from one video to the next in a playlist - and I am on the latest firmwire. I have had to revert to the PS3 for YouTube viewing which is a shame.

Hopefully a future firmwide update will fix these issues.

WD TV Live Media Player