on 12 May 2014
There are aspects of this novel that made me want to give it fewer stars, but when it came down to it, I really enjoyed the story and read it in one sitting!

It's a stirring tale and an intriguing beginning to a fantasy series that I shall probably follow. I liked the characters well enough, and the world-building is well conceived and executed - cultural differences and similarities are well-drawn without being clumsy.

The things that let the book down were the author's poor grasp of grammar, over-use of descriptive language, clumsy novice tricks such as describing everyone's hair and eye colour when we first meet them, as if we're really going to remember or be bothered, dangerously-close-to-cliche characterisations, some fudging of more complex issues of world-building and motivation which left me a little perplexed... It reads like a fairly raw draft that could use a good editor.

HOWEVER... though Ms Wolfe shows some weaknesses as a writer, she does have a gift as a story-teller. As I said, I didn't put this down - and it's quite a long novel. Pacing and rhythm and invention are all there, strongly enough to make me glad I didn't allow myself to be put off by the writing. (And the writing's nowhere near as poor as some things I've come across, so please don't mistake me and think it's abysmal - it's not.) In terms of the actual story, my only cavil is that the climactic scene was dealt with too quickly - it was almost a case of "blink and you miss it", which is quite a shame, considering how good the build-up was.

And now I have written this, I think it's time for me to buy the next one, if it's already written, because right now I am in the mood to be told a story, and that's where Lexy Wolfe excels.
on 22 November 2013
This book is one EPIC story in the making. It tells a tale of ancient history in a world torn apart by a Great War and Sibling Gods who keep the lands apart through mistrust of each other and their Human offspring. I was mesmerised from the beginning. The story jumps in head first and whisks you along for a few chapters at break neck speed. At first, the titles are slightly confusing but the author brilliantly slips in explanations to the narrative without it feeling forced. From the outset you are totally involved with these characters. You understand their confusion, their exasperation and their desperation perfectly. In a world where magic users are held in high regard and expected to keep all things in balance, they become unsure of the things happening.

You can't help but be on their side. You want them to succeed. You are willing them along with everything you have. I LOVED this book! I couldn't read it fast enough. So much so I drained my Kindle! I really felt for the characters. And adored them each in their own way. I loved the well thought out Hierarchy system in each of the lands and the beliefs that were well thought out and explained in a simple and non tedious way. At no point, did this book ever feel like "work". It was simply epic. I cannot wait to read the next one.

In short, If you like fantasy books, with myth, magic, epic story telling, a dash of romance and the odd dragon? Then you simply MUST read this book!
on 27 July 2013
An awesome read by a talented New author . Am now looking forward to reading next book in the series