4.0 out of 5 stars Ancestry is great but I prefer online use
My history. I started an Ancestry.co.uk tree last year.
I got Family Maker 2011 to review- and found it really difficult to integrate with the tree online.
Installed Family Tree Maker 2012- absolute doddle this time to download my very large tree to the PC. Really easy to activate the 3 months free subscription by signing in to my deactivated ancestry account...
Published on 14 Dec 2011 by Julie Cutler

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing after 2006 Version - Slow and verbose search!!
Very disapointed!!! - FTM particularly the 2006 version which I have used for years used to be the best Family Tree software available.

This new version is dreadful being slow to activate and run and more orientated to being integrated with Ancestory.com both cosmetically and datawise rather than doing the job efficiently for your own independant research...
Published on 21 Jun 2012 by 2929

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Who were your ancestors? How much would you pay to know?, 25 July 2012
Doccox "ian_cox9" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Family Tree Maker (2012 DELUXE)
ANCESTRY.CO.UK

This includes 3-months " Essentials" Membership to Ancestry.co.uk (Supplied free under Amazon Vine Programme)
Judging from the number of (celebrity) TV programmes and adverts there is an increasing interest in "tracing" ones ancestry - royalty , villains , aristocrat , peasant ??
Given the " big brother" nature of government down the ages ( think death and taxes) there are many documents now becoming available electronically to aid this quest - some sources are free , others are chargeable. This software is targeted to take the pain out of this process. In reality , one needs a fair amount of data to get stated and getting back beyond ca 1850 becomes more complex.
So how does this software fare?
It loads fairly easily but the advice as to how to use it is somewhat buried - there is no simple separate (online) booklet - or I couldn't find it.
Registration is somewhat fiddly and requires credit card details to be submitted (can cancel any time in the free 3 months until 13th October).

NOTE be careful when printing out the contract details (print in landscape) or the free cancellation phone details will be lost.

I was very irritated to receive an e mail from ancestry.com claiming I have registered also in the US and that there is a 14 day free usage after which I will be charged - I sent a terse e mail refuting and cancelling this registration.
Initially ,using the search engines , the system seemed to be appears to be very clunky as you need nearly all of the data already on your ancestors to make it work as you need to check separately births, marriages, deaths, census documents to reduce the many "results".

Initially I carried out further work on my fathers family tree via Ancestry.co.uk - input data on father's family . I also started a separate line ( and linked it to the first) for my wife's family.
You can set system up that work can be carried out off line and then " synchronised" with the online system.
I found the search system convoluted as the Census births and marriages information is in different databases. Initially it was impossible to scroll through the pages to read the records which were only one line and no cross referenced data like on a birth or marriage certificate .

There is however a neat " hints" system which automatically checks births , marriages and deaths. What is irritating is that certain results which should be free to the essentials subscribers do not seem to be free to the " 3 months free" subscribers!.

So far have ( with a certain amount of existing knowledge , tracked back to Great Grandfather ( on my fathers side) - ca 1850. How far will the standard Census data go? What lies beyond this and what do you get for the various " membership" categories. This is listed on their home page together with the various data bases that can be accessed.
So what are my initial views? The software creates a nice tree system ( they do try to sell you a lot of other peripheral software) and , with care , it is possible to go back 4 or so generations after which I found it getting very complicated ( mainly due to the large number of results to be sifted.
What is critical is to get the registry office correct and to be aware that births may initially be registered up to 3 months after the actual birth.
. When the "free" base search period expires there are several levels on subscription available . It would be nice to review these independently to see which routes / subscriptions are the most cost effective . I may add further comments when I have used the system for its full 3 month limit . I will NOT be allowing an automatic renewal with payments.
I haven't had chance to compare it iwth other "pay per view" databases - of which there are many using the orginal government information.

5.0 out of 5 stars FTM 2012, 11 Feb 2013
A. Ddriscoll (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2012 Deluxe Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
Best genealogy software on the market, easy to use, lots of charts reports can be made, photos & documents can be added, highly recommend. ****

5.0 out of 5 stars Did all that I needed, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2012 Deluxe Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
Did all that I needed, and I am discovering extra features all the time. Website search facility is most helpful, and ability to attach photographs

3.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD PRODUCT, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2012 Deluxe Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
I would recommend this product to a future buyer.
I haven't had the opportunity to fully evaluate this edition. However, it appears similar to the prior edition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Internet Searching, 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2012 Deluxe Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
For me Famly hist6ory is the best program, but Family Tree Maker is a useful tool especially for internet research

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it is supposed to do., 22 Mar 2012
Big Bad Bill "Big Bad Bill" (Somwhere on the Celtic Fringe) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have thought about tracing my family history off and on for years. When this came up on Vine I decided to order it to have a go. The package itself installed and works well. It certainly has made the process of keeping track of the information easier than it would be on paper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 24 July 2014
AngelaMargaretRingrose (Dartford, KENT, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2012 Deluxe Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
A bit more complicated than earlier versions.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 4 Oct 2014
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2012 Deluxe Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
a retrograde step from previous versions

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Sep 2014
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2012 Deluxe Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
Easier than raising your own

4.0 out of 5 stars Family Tree Maker 2012, 7 Dec 2011
Clem Fandango (N Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had previously used the trial subscription to access Ancestry UK's comprehensive record files and found it to be a fascinating and worthwhile journey. I discovered new family members whom I had never heard of and managed to piece together my family tree going back to the mid 19th century. I was not however,prepared to pay the full £112 subscription and cancelled before I could go back further. The family tree maker 2012 is a much more affordable option which offers three months free subscription to the Ancestry UK data base where you can access all manner of information. Births,deaths,marriage certificates and census information up to 1911. The software allows you to construct your family tree and add photographs and images. Well worth investing in if you are keen to uncover your family history.

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

Family Tree Maker 2012 Deluxe Edition (PC)
Family Tree Maker 2012 Deluxe Edition (PC) by Avanquest Software (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)