on 13 November 2003
As another reviewer, who obviously shares my thoughts, points out this album and Meddle are often missed by Floyd fanatics but they represent my favourite Floyd albums.
More contains simply structured, elegantly played, beautiful compositions. Unpretentious with none of the 'theme' album aspect about them they were apparently recorded in three days for a Barbet Schroeder film (of the same name?), weird when you consider how relaxed some of the songs sound!
Cymabline, Green is the Colour, Cirrus Minor and Main Theme are the ones that do it for me, psychedelic and spacey like the best of the live stuff on Umma Gumma but grounded in more conventional song structures. Good playing by Wright and Gilmour throughout, this album has withstood the test of time more than the likes of the Wall or the Final Cut.
on 6 May 2012
this is a fantastic cd the music is as floyd as it gets arrived on time, no complaints from it is very good cd up there with the rest of floyds classics
on 3 March 2004
This was the first Floyd album I ever heard. My cousin had an original vinyl copy, which I recorded onto Reel to Reel tape, as I did not have a record deck.
The "Main Theme" track has always entranced me, as does "Cirrus Minor" and "Cymbaline". This is Floyd at their early best, the album having a diverse mix of music, which shows just how inventive Waters and Gilmore are.
Whilst they went on to have comercial sucess with "Dark Side of the Moon", there experimental roots are best shown in this recording. What a shame that an early track "Embryo" never made it onto an album, apart from a samlper released by EMI, called "A Day in the Country". If you haven't listened to "More", do yourself a favour and find out where Floyd were at their best, doing Film Scores. Also check out "Obsured by Clouds". Again an overlooked Floyd masterpeace.
on 8 June 2015
Forgotten masterpiece - listen to The Nile Song and Ibiza Bar and think - I never knew Floyd did heavy metal, lol
on 18 January 2004
Yes, this is my favourite Pink Floyd. I suppose it fits in with my general preference for the early work rather than the later of most of the major bands of the 60s and 70s.
"The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" grabs your attention straight away, whereas "More" allows you to use your own imagination. It's not difficult music and it's not telling you anything profound like "The Dark Side of The Moon". Who wants that anyway? Of course it's the soundtrack for a film about drug-taking but you can put the lyrics aside and just think about pastoral images or freaky journeys. Each of the 13 tracks is different, although the second side on the vinyl parallels the structure of the first. (eg the second offering is a rocker). There are 6 instrumentals. Songs there are of course but even these tend to have long instrumental bits as well. Let's face it - Roger Water's singing is not the best part of Floyd. In fact the swirling organ solo of "Cymbeline" is one of the most moving parts of the album. This track is incredibly sad, and is almost perfect as a pop song. Then note the way whistles merge into the organ in "Green Is The Colour". "Quicksilver" is the compulsory wierd offering and its very enjoyable and spaced-out. I don't know what I'm listening to though - so let's just leave it at quicksilver or mercury running around in front of me. "Main Theme" and "Dramatic Theme" are good, being different versions of the same riff. Again a spacey-freaky journey seems to be a good description and the best thing is - the Floyd aren't trying to tell me anything. It's up to me! Ok, it's just a nice album with plenty of variety made before the Floyd (and others) became too pompous.
on 24 April 2016
This is better than the oruginal LP I purchased in 1970 and way better than the original CD. Not a fan of remastering, but this has worked. Well done, sound enginneers😊
The new "Saucerful of Secrets" is equally well temastered and is recommended too.
on 5 January 2015
Excellent - I love this soundtrack
on 5 May 2001
Often closer to jazz than acid rock - this cd is art itself: it does not rely on decibels for its effects - it is varied, subtle and very original - intelligent music for the intelligent discerning listener.
on 15 September 2015
Got to finish off my Pink Floyd collection
on 1 June 2001
Some beautiful melodies and execellent instrumentals with one great rock track on this albumn. It is often missed by Floyd fans in the same way that Meddle is but its is one that I remember fondly and have just bought again!