4.0 out of 5 stars The Extras Are Hardly Essential!!!!
Published on 9 April 2012 by Mr. R. Powell

3.0 out of 5 stars Discovery Edition - Not Worth £10
Gave it 3 star simply because the music is beyond 5 star. It's a fantastic, massive album with both atmopshere, themes, great lyrics and catchy tunes in literally every track.

Published 21 months ago by Fraser J

3.0 out of 5 stars Discovery Edition - Not Worth £10, 18 Dec 2012

The packaging is miserable though. As someone who wants to buy a CD it seems to me the industry is lately trying to make their CD products as shoddy as possible so people move onto digital, which I'm seriously thinking about now. I mean they got CD packaging right in the 80s so how can they do it wrong now? This is a digipack release instead of the ol' jewel case, which I can see why they might do (degradable if for some reason you throw it out, no little plasticy bits in the middle that break before you get it) but I just don't like them. They feel very cheap, can get worn pretty easily and don't warrant the price tag at all. So when you open it up you're greeted to some terrible quality prints of the characters from The Wall movie (or vinyl release, I don't know). They're just blurry, low quality, nothing much to be said besides it looks totally rubbish and amateur. Then you've got three pockets, first with the booklet which is nice and easy to get out and another two with the discs which aren't. You have to kind of hang the thing by the front and squeeze it widthways to get the discs to slide out. TBH I'll be lucky if this lasts a few months.

The booklet is also worth mentioning. As the 'discovery edition' it doesn't have any info in at all, just lyrics which is ok. However (this might be copying the original vinyl, again I'm not sure) the lyrics are scribbled in a pretty silly font something like the cover text, making them sometimes difficult to read.

Don't waste you're tenner on this. Find an older CD release if possible that's both cheaper and in a classic jewel case.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Extras Are Hardly Essential!!!!, 9 April 2012
Mr. R. Powell (Wales) - See all my reviews
This is not my favourite Pink Floyd album, although I have come to have a higher opinion of it in recent years especially after being lucky enough to catch one of Rogers Waters shows last year. When it's good (Which admitedly is most of it) it's very good indeed, it's just that tracks like Vera and Bring The Boys back Home still get on my nerves and I've only come to appreciate The Trial after seeing the visuals last year. Because of this I held back on ordering The Experience edition until I'd heard the Experience editions for DSOTM and WYWH. I was really impressed with extras on both of those so I decided to take the plunge, afterall it was only an extra couple of quid for the extra disc.

So was it worth it? Well, the original album first. As with Animals, Meddle and WYWH the remastering is an improvement on the old '94 disc, it's not night and day but it's clearly there with a better texture on the sound. If like, or love this album the aural improvements are worth the cost of replacing your old disc. The question is do you go with this edition or the Discovery edition. Some reviewers have suggested that some of the tracks on the extra disc could have replaced the track used on the album. I think they have got a bit carried away and excited here. If any of the extras had been used this album would not be as highly regarded as it is. That is not to criticise them, they are afterall merely demos, works in progress, and that is exactly how they sound. Unlike the extra discs on DSOTM and WYWH I have not been returning to this one very often, infact on the odd occasion I have put it on I've ended up switching to the original album after a few tracks.

Why 4 stars you ask. Because this is still a very good album that has been very well remastered and is certainly worth revisiting. If you're thinking of replacing your old disc, unless you're a Floyd fanatic you may find that if you purchase the Experience edition the extra disc is one you will listen to only the once.

5.0 out of 5 stars after the wall...another wall ...only better, 28 Feb 2012
Mr Blackwell (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This album has been loved,loathed,reviled,adored,feted and ridiculed over the years,its a thought provoking musical masterpiece.

Many of the aforementioned viewpoints ,i have held myself,bought it the day it came out,didnt understand it,didnt get it,waste of time,couple of great tracks,threw in cupboard,ignored for years,re purchased in the mid 90's ,when the remasters came out(to complete the collection),wow, what a revelation,now in my mid 30's,having lost both my parents,(father when i was 15),it all made perfect sense,i could empathise with those feelings of loss,sadness,despair, etc,I never looked back,a truly inspiring album,not a comfortable easy listen but an intense emotive communion with Roger's feeling of loss/alienation

No need for a track by track review as we all know this disc inside out,or you thought you did,i'm certainly hearing a new fantastic soundscape with this remaster, as usual 'Comfortably Numb' the absolute standout,but i'm convinced little nuances here and there that i'd previously missed.

Need a reason for purchase then disc 3 is that reason, demos and outakes,its like discovering the album all over again,a couple might even get you thinking they should have made the final cut of this disc(oops no pun intended)

Packaging as before,neat, if tight gatefold,bit of a nuisance,still its the music that matters,this is class from start to finish

5.0 out of 5 stars The nearest you will ever get to a new Floyd album, 27 Feb 2012
Mr. R. G. Prizeman "Dickie 1" (croydon UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The Wall has always been a very interesting piece of music, it is well i think Roger Waters best piece of material while he was the main member, in control,of Pink Floyd, but David Gilmore is fighting through with one of the best Floyd Tracks ever Comfortably numb, Run like hell.Now I am not going too go on about the album as I think most fans will know all about that, and its musical highlights.
Starting with the original album new master is good but how do you better excellence, as I always felt the sound has always been fantastic, this remaster is good and keeping the high-quality spot on, in fact to say the sound is "beautiful" would be an understatement.
The real excitement comes with disc three, early domes, and different lyrics completely and sung with lighter vocals on many like Young Lust, and Vera,tracks like Teacher teacher which uses the music from The final cut with different lyrics.
I just have to say its brilliant,and now the closest we will ever get to a new Floyd album. The demo's also sound fantastic. Of all the expanded versions this is the best for me.
Mother is brilliant and very moving,and this version could have made the album, but obviously the band still wanted better. This is an insight to one our best bands ever i can only recommend that you buy the 3 disc version, it really makes no sense to just buy the double. Oh finally, other early versions from the final cut with different lyrics also appear, but as history retails, got thrown out, however they are still very interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wall 2011 sonic breakout, 24 Oct 2011
Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen (real name) (Thread rehab facility 37) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
If you are reading this then you most likely have already got the album in an existing format/version/issue, so I will not dwell on the contents, other than to say that the issues dealt with here are timeless eg loss, betrayal, relationships, skewed points of view and so on.....

I would just like to chuck in my agreement with the folks who say that there is a sonic improvement. There undoubtedly is a big improvement over the '94 Shine On version which I had on last night, just to do an A-B. The top end sounds like it has had the lid taken off, the sound just goes goes up to the highest frequencies with ease, something the 94 version does not, it sounds muffled in comparison. The bass here is fantastically tight, realistic and percussive at times, the notes really punching out during passages.

Like the other remasters I have heard from this current remastering campaign everything sounds better, the acoustic guitars sound wooden, the singing is so much clearer and emotively convincing, the sound effects/background sounds/atmospherics are clean and are apparent in places that I have not heard them before, something similar could be said about the percussion with wooden blocks appearing on Don't Leave Me Now that I never previously noticed, the whole thing seems to be tighter and more musical.

If you like the album as was you will love this version. It is by far the best sounding version of it that I have heard. Another resounding success for James Guthrie and Joel Plante. This one can be cranked up really loud and suits it, as long as noone else in your abode minds the sound of tellys being smashed and Roger Waters emotive strident singing style.

The card sleeves seem to cause some folk a lot of grief, but in this case(no pun intended, well.....) I think the double gatefold sleeve works well, better than the single gatefold sleeves that Meddle and Atom Heart Mother came in. They were tight, too tight perhaps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wall remastered and revisited, 20 Jan 2014
The latest remaster of The Wall is great! I have the original vinyl and the first cd release and this is a clear improvement over the original cd. The difference in sound quality is not as dramatic as say Peter Gabriel's So, but then the sonic structures of The Wall lend themselves more to a sense of space and air rather than an agreeable assault on the senses that is So.

I would like this reissue to have included the full version of The Empty Spaces - it is here but as a demo version on disc 3 - perhaps incorporared into the album in the way When The Tigers Broke Free is incorporated into The Final Cut.

I don't know how it compares to earlier remasters, but coming as I was from the original -2dB CD release it is a joy to listen to!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality., 18 Jan 2014
The overall recording sound level is very low, a comfortable sound level on my cd player is 10-12, i had to turn up
to 20-22 to hear the cd at a reasonable sound level.

The cd otherwise is of good quality, and good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great !, 20 Aug 2013
I bought this dtriple cd after the Roger Waters concert in Athens - Greece ... I listen to it every day ,great music great compilation !

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the great classic rock album, 18 Aug 2012
Nir Levi (Omer, Israel) - See all my reviews
One of the great classic rock album, maybe the one who shocked me about the pink Floyd in the first time i listen to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hate turns to acceptance..., 15 Dec 2011
Iain Kirk "An auld muso..." (The heart of the CLC...) - See all my reviews
So how is it after 30 odd years one can finally "get" an album?
When a proper remaster allows you to hear properly everything, that is how.
I first purchased "The Wall" when it came out back in 1979 - a younger muso with an appetite for music.
After the initial thrill I came to steadily dislike the album intensely... It seemed to be full of half formed nonsense, ranting and angst, only saved by the genius of David Gilmours playing.
However, it is only after getting to understand what a dark place Pink Floyd were; as a band and as individuals back then, that I decided to give this recording a second chance - I am glad I did so.
Whilst some of the musical ideas still seem a bit twee and simplistic; as well as some pretty strange lyrical ramblings at times, I can now see what Roger Waters was getting at and at whom. I can also see why some of the music is as it is. It is all part of the whole - for better or worse.
Could this album have been produced by a fully functional band? No! However the disjointed and fractured nature of the bands relationships with each other, their position in the music world, their finances and so on produced a dark vision of the madness that was "rock and roll" back then...
This remaster to my ears, has allowed the full palette used musically and production wise to shine.
It is flawed as an album but this audio wash/rinse at least allows one to fully appreciate and maybe finally understand what Waters was so cheesed off with...