5.0 out of 5 stars Great value package for vinyl fans

3.0 out of 5 stars The Darkest Sale Of The Moon
Published on 12 Oct 2011 by John Harald Bjerk

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value package for vinyl fans, 8 Oct 2011
J. Bowman (London, England) - See all my reviews
For me, Dark Side of the Moon is not just about the music (which of course is amazing) but the whole package. Like The White Album and Quadrophenia, it's the extras which make owning these albums a real pleasure and give the sense that you have acquired a piece of art. With prices of mint condition original presses of DSOTM going for hundreds of pounds, this seemed like a good opportunity to get hold of a fresh print at a not unreasonable price (under twenty quid), particularly as my old vinyl edition (4th or 5th press I think) is a bit long in the tooth and the posters have long since disappeared. I also have the 30th anniversary CD which has kept me going on the iPod for the last few years.

Receiving this album through the door really did recreate that long-lost thrill of receiving a brand new vinyl LP. Compared to my old edition, the rainbow colours really stand out on the beautiful black sleeve. Inside, all the components of the original package are present and correct. The pyramid poster looks slightly more purple than my original which was more blue while some of the pictures on the group sleeve have been flipped to show that Dave and Roger are actually not left-handed guitarists, something that always bugged me about the original poster! In addition, there is a stunning new poster (by Storm Thorgerson?) which reproduces the sleeve design in swirly, psychedelic paints. A couple of clues on the sleeve tell you that this a new edition though. The sleeve was printed in the EU (rather than GB) while a sticker on the back refers to (takes a sharp intake of breath) a digital remaster. I know there will be lots of people who will take umbrage at this idea but the information on the sleeve that the album is also available in 8-track cartridge format may prove to be a red herring for analogue lovers.

So how does the all-important 180g slab of plastic sound on the wheel of steel? Pretty good actually. The vinyl itself is solid with little flex and there is no noticeable surface noise, clicks or pops. The album doesn't sound too different from previous vinyl and CD versions I've heard but the one thing I have found is that it is noticeably easier to track the bass line while some of the keyboard sounds seem to emerge more from the mix. All the special effects (especially the clocks) still sound amazing and I couldn't hear evidence of this being a digital transfer. I can't really give a more considered assessment than that though not having heard a 'holy grail' pressing on a top end system but in the end it's the music which counts. I leave others to quibble over the relative merits of all the different editions of this album but I am very happy with this purchase. The MP3 download code included with the album is a nice touch but does not include any of the extra material included in the expanded CD sets which is a shame. I would have at least liked the Empire Pool show without having to pay separately for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars sublime recording,quality music., 26 Sep 2011
Mr Blackwell (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is my 3rd cd version of this album,also had the vinyl,way back in the day,couldnt help myself the carrot of the live disc sold me,so what do you need to know?

Disc 1 : is the original disc,remastered by James Guthrie again,his '94 remaster was perfect as far as i could tell and truth be told i cant really detect any noticeable difference,sometimes with these 'new' remasters i think you will convince yourself to hear something different.initially on first play i thought possibly a little clearer,the background voices slightly more audible,after a couple of listens with the headphones and comparing to the prev disc im not too sure.Whats not in dispute is this is a fantastic piece of music that has stood the test of time,beautifully arranged.played and recorded nearly 40 years ago,its hard to believe there will be a first time buyer,so i guess most will know already what their buying.

Disc 2 : now i've never heard any live 70's recordings of 'dark side...' so this was my principle reason for buying and its well worth it,clocking in at around 12 mins more than its studio counterpart there a couple of moments were the band add in a little extra,nothing too much to change the overall feeling and what a performance,all four members on fire and a sound quality that frankly stunned me,i thought a recording 37 years old may suffer but this is absolute quality and worth the purchase price alone.

The sound quality on the remaster is excellent so no worries there,the packaging ,well that a different story.the 2 discs are housed in a tri fold digi pak which the seams are already tearing,the housing for the discs quite tight,so beware when taking in/out,the booklet is very average,no improvement on the '94 remaster,just the lyrics and photos already available previously,all housed in a flimsy slipcase,if it wasnt such a superb musical release i would have been tempted to dock a star.

The rhetorical question of course is why not just release a live set from wembley '74? answers on a ten pound note to EMI.

Ultimately its the music that counts and this is a 10/10 on both cd's,a truly wonderful album with outstanding live bonus disc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Remaster - Awful Packaging, 13 Oct 2011
Mr. G. Foxton (THIRSK, NORTH YORKS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I've just worked out that I've bought Dark Side of The Moon 4 times.

Once on Vinyl
Once Original CD
Once SACD 2003 (?)
And now this version.

The music is wonderful, the live album is wonderful but the thing that really lets this down is the cheap and nasty card cover.

I've only had this item a week and a half and the card cover is beginning to crease and become covered in finger marks even though I am a bit of a fuss about treating my cd's with care.

I just think considering the big loud fanfare this reissue series received it is an opportunity wasted.

Perhaps in 5 years they'll release it again in a proper hard wearing cover and I'll get the opportunity to buy it for the 5th time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark side of my bank account?, 4 Oct 2011
Amazon Customer (Swindon, Wilts, England) - See all my reviews
Well, I can't add much to what's already been written here, but here is my little contribution.

1) Cost. Too expensive, but (as normally happens for me) the price dropped by 4 a couple of days after I'd ordered it. Arrgghh!
2) Content. I agree with the lack of the full SACD, but as the same audio data is on the DVD and Blu-ray surely most people who haven't got the SACD will not be bothered. I have the SACD version and I'M not bothered. The Press Kit for the 2003 re-release is a widescreen film, so why letterbox it - especially on the Blu-ray?! Countering that it's nice to see the variation in concert films, such as Time, for various locations/tours.
3) Packaging. Very nice, but not much of it - to be fair. The four collectors' cards are nice, but they out of a set of 57 (so it says on the back of the cards), so (a) why didn't we get a full pack of cards? and (b) where can I get this full set? I'm not going to keep on buying immersion box sets to try and get the set...
4) Finally, it would have been nice - considering the cost - to have had the album on vinyl included, in what is a 11" square box - could have made it an LP sized box and added the LP; just holding an LP is something that a CD, DVD or Blu-ray can never recreate. But that would have taken the cost even further into the stratosphere!

5.0 out of 5 stars .......matter of fact it's all dark!, 13 Jun 2003
Fans of Pink Floyd know DSOTM like the back of their hand; they can recite the lyrics, hum the melodies and play air guitar like pros. The question is, can this SACD version make it sound any better? Put simply, yes it does....and then some.
Floyd's music has always lent itself to cutting edge audio technology and the 5.1 SACD mix is proof of this. Using an SACD player and a 5.1 system you get true surround sound. Now this means that the voices in "Speak to Me" swirl around the listener, clocks chime as if their in your room and coins jangle about you. But more than this, now that there are 5.1 channels of sound the music is clearer and better defined. It has more presence, placing the listener in the centre of the music. It provides a full audio experiance.
Yet it it incredibly subtle. Now instruments are intricately placed to enhance the listening experiance; there are no gimmicks here. In "Time" the rototoms sound as if they are in the centre of the room, as if they are directly in front of you. The sax in "Us and Them" comes solely from the centre speaker given it far more clarity than before (the sax used to get lost in the mix before, I felt). Subtle effects, yet hugely effective.
All in all such near studio-like quality in the sound (this depends on how good your system is) adds to the music, sharpens it, makes a thirty year old album seem new.
For any Floyd fan DSOTM is an essential purchase and this SACD is just as neccessary. Get it whilst you can...

3.0 out of 5 stars The Darkest Sale Of The Moon, 12 Oct 2011
I share most every rewiwers opinion about this box set. Who needs the nonsence mercendise?! It only makes the release "cheap"(!). We need all the cd's, dvd, blueray AND the vinyl AND a hardcover book with the story of making the album, the tours etc. The Stones Excile On Main Street is a gorgeous boxset!! And The Who Quadrophenia seemes to have that great standard. I will not bother with the other Immersion box sets!

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the Dark Side..., 6 May 2003
Dark Side of the Moon has been with us for 30 years; it has been performed live countless times, excerpts have been played on TV for decades. Could this SACD version surprise anyone? Yes...and then some.
You may need to be a Pink Floyd fan to like Dark Side but you cannot fault this new SACD version. James Guthrie, a long time engineer/producer with Pink Floyd seems to have done the impossible and essentially transformed Pink Floyd's opus. The way he has used 5.1 is incredible. There's no gimmicky use of front to rear panning hear, instead the speakers are used to enhance the music by making the music sound wider, and yet at the same time totally surrounding the listener.
The sound is cleaner and clearer than ever before, due to the multi-channel sound but also due to the SACD mix too. SACD is the closest sound to the original you will get.
From the very beginning and 'Speak to Me', the sound assaults you with its clarity. Typically 'On the Run' is an amazing audio experience, but even more standard songs such as 'Money' sound incredible (Gilmour's guitar solo's sound more 'vibrant').
'Us and Them' used to sound somehow distorted in stereo, but now you can ascertain every noteplayed and every word sung. You will hear things you've not heard before, or at least you'll hear them differently. Guthrie should be awarded for his excellent handling of this new SACD release. It's an essential purchase. Buy it!

3.0 out of 5 stars meh!, 28 Sep 2011
The immersion boxed set is a bit of a mixed bag to be honest.

Music wise it is 4/5. I deduct 1 star for not including the SACD version but it could be argued that anyone likely to be buying this set would already have the SACD(it is very disappointing that the Wish You Were Here set will not be including it, rather you would have to pay an extortionate amount to purchase from USA and not previously available so doesn't even have that excuse). The 5.1 bluray mix is totally immersive. It would have been a nice bonus if you could have watched the projections while playing but on the other hand it might actually detract from the music. Extra tracks are a nice bonus and the concert from '74 sounds fantastic.

Otherwise....tat.
3 marbles - ?
Booklets - slick but not of much substance.
Scarf - ?
Coasters - unlikely to use as such given they come from such an expensive item.
Memorabilia - unmemorable

Box itself - the most important part of this set is the music. The box is designed so that 4 discs sit soundly in the bottom of the box fixed and 2 discs are loose in cardboard slip covers.The contents of the box then sit on top of the 4 main discs, meaning you have to lift it up every time you want to listen to one of the 4 main discs. Why not have them sit on the same holders with a cavity underneath to hold the scarf, marbles etc? This would mean the music was immediately accessible. Albeit it only adds 1 or 2 seconds to getting the music discs out it has already become an annoyance and I have placed the 4 discs in their own slip cases on top.

Mind you I will still buy the others. Another reviewer points out that we are not forced to buy the set if we don't want it, however you are currently "forced" to buy it if you otherwise wanted to hear the 5.1 dvd and bluray mixes as these are not available in that format separately (though the cynic in me thinks these may end up being released in a year or so time to make even more money).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great music, but questionable packaging and extras, 11 Dec 2011
perceive (Vic Australia) - See all my reviews
Okay, to start this is only a sort of review. DSOTM is such a well known album that you would already have heard enough to have an idea of whether you would like it or not.
My goal here is really to try and give you an idea of whom I think this boxed set may be suitable for. After all, how many copies of the album do you really want to own unless you are a major fan?
And this is the thing, this release is really only for the most die hard fans. Clocking in at $110AUD it is certainly not for casual listeners.

The Good...
Well, the blu-ray audio. To have this album on SACD was special enough, and for me, the first time I really appreciated the album in the way a lot of fans already did. But the Alan Parson's quadrophonic is something else. It is proof alone that this album was written with a different sense of vision than many others. For those with a blu-ray player, you have the same things but with lower bit rate on a DVD audio. The blu-ray, to me, almost alone makes this worth the price of admission. The live shows and extra tracks are all good, but nothing that would normally justify the price. They are still nice however.

The Not So Good...
Four of the six discs have their cases as part of the box, while the blu ray and extra tracks CD came with a cardboard sleeve. Really? I personally believe that they all should have come in a sleeve/jewel case etc. I don't want to go opening and closing the box every time I want to listen to/watch something that it came with. Seems silly, and something likely to shorten the length of the boxes lifespan.
The Bad...
The gimmicks. The marbles. The scarf. I mean, really?? While the list of questions that they asked people while making the album for the samples that appeared on it makes sense, marbles and a scarf? Really?

Final Thoughts
If you are a major fan of Pink Floyd, like I am, then this is a must just to get what is, at this stage, the best quality release of the music. As an "immersion" addition, some of the extra content is good. Marbles and a scarf though, really? I would have preferred extra content for that price.
Having complained about the price I will say: There are many boxed sets coming out around this price range (hello Dream Theater!) that are nowhere near as rich in terms of worthwhile content. For this price I *expect* the highest quality release possible (Once upon a time I would have said SACD, but, well, I am resigned to it being a dead format now due to its restrictive controls amongst other reasons). I expect extra tracks etc.
In conclusion, a strong release let down by some questionable gimmicks, but worth the money for the hardcore fan compared to other boxed sets that are seemingly far less value but worth more money. I desperately wanted to rate this with 5 stars, but in the end can only give it 4 due to the packaging and gimmicks. The music alone is superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect album, 6 Oct 2006
J. R. Atkin (St Annes, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Side of the Moon (Audio CD)
There's not much to say that hasn't already been said about Dark Side. For what it's worth I can only try to explain my recent simultaneous discovery of Pink Floyd and their masterpiece. I've been into all sorts of music from hip hop, Prince & Nirvana to dance music, but I'd never really ventured into the realms of classic rock. I bought DSOTM on a whim one day, listened to it from strart to finish and was so blown away by it I listened to it again straight away. It's simply a superb musical experience, a journey even. The lyrics are simple but meaningful, David Gilmour's guitar playing is spectacular, and the whole album falters nowhere from the opening bar to the last fade. This really is a must own album for anybody who loves good music. Makes the vast majority of "verse/chorus/verse" popular compositions seem a complete waste of time.