5.0 out of 5 stars curios
Had previously bought Bare - I previusly loved The Mission so went for Curios and was not disappointed. I'm not usullay keen on cover version collections but some of the tracks on this album are better than the original versions of the respective songs.Excellent vocals and instrumentation I highly recommend this.
Published on 27 Mar 2012 by alij

3.0 out of 5 stars good but won't play on computers/itunes
The songs are all well produced and good quality recordings but spoilt because the cd is copy protected and cannot be ripped to itunes or similar as the songs all have static through them. On my hifi system the sound cannot be faulted, the voices are crystal clear and the arrangements are well done, if often a little short.
Published 19 months ago by Mr. A. M. Topping

5.0 out of 5 stars curios, 27 Mar 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent and creative 80s nostalgia, 15 Nov 2011
Bodhi Heeren (Copenhagen) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Curios (Audio CD)
An interesting colaboration between two icons of 80s goth rock, Wayne Hussey of The Mission and the beautiful Julianne Regan from All About Eve. Playing all instruments and ofc providing all vocals.

Most of the songs are covers, albeit in new and exciting arrangements. Songs by the likes of Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, David Bowie, Bjork. Glenn Campbell's classic "Wichita Lineman" is - like most songs - given an electronica-like arrangement. But we also get a couple of well-written new songs that fits perfectly with the 'classics' and makes me hope for another release soon from this talented duo.

my only disappointment is that Julianne's angelic voice is heard all too seldom. Her only solo tracks being "I Go To Sleep" by Chrissie Hynde and the brilliant "Dangerous Eyes", in many ways the highlight of the album. With Wayne Hussey obviously taking the front seat, perhaps due to the fact that he has been active all along while this is Julianne's first effort after years long hiatus.

Certainly a nice flashback to the gothic world of the 80s, guys with black mascara and witchy women. And a chance for todays goth rockers to check their roots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cd!, 5 Jan 2013
Mrs. P. A. Jones "annabout" (North Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Curios (Audio CD)
This cd was a birthday present for my daughter. She will never grow out of listening to this type of music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab cd, 17 Dec 2012
H. Davies "Hels" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Curios (Audio CD)
We couldn't wait to listen to this as my husband and I are big fans of both artists. Great album - great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars They got around to it in the end., 14 April 2014
This review is from: Curios (MP3 Download)
Like most Mission & All About Eve fans, been waiting for this a long time, and now that they have got round to doing it I hope they do more together.

3.0 out of 5 stars good but won't play on computers/itunes, 16 Feb 2013
This review is from: Curios (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear your mind, relax and float down stream............., 5 Jan 2012
ANT (New Zealand and Samoa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Curios (Audio CD)
Firstly let me say im not a fan of cover albums and secondly i wasn't expecting to really like this album.

I brought this album for myself as a Christmas present and also as im a fan of the Mission and wanted to support the efforts of Mr Hussey. I guess i was hoping for a small taste of the mission when i brought the album (of which i can find very little)

This is something i didn't quiet expect. I really enjoy the album and i find it quite relaxing, calming and spacie. The songs are reworked to such an extent that they don't interfere with the originals and are something new.

I really enjoy Regens voice and i think the hussey-regen collaboration works well. Husseys voice as always is on form. Clear your mind, relax and float down stream.............

I hope we hear some more from this Duo and a solo album from Mr hussey at some point. I enjoyed this album slightly more than Peter Gabriels reworked covers album, which i also liked.

Top picks : Enjoy the silence, Calling your name, A change in the weather

A nice surprise and 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars The two most under rated and under valued British voices of the last 25 years unite in harmony., 14 Dec 2011
This review is from: Curios (Audio CD)
Well, this album has been a long time coming and I, for one, have been waiting for 20 odd years for this and I'm not disappointed in the least. From who I consider to be two of the finest vocalists the UK music scene has produced in the last 25 years or so comes an album that is tender as well as unexpected, beautifully performed and produced, and even though the majority of tracks here are covers they have been recorded in such a way that brings new life, dimension, and spirit to the songs. There are a couple of brand new songs including the glorious 'Dangerous Eyes' penned by Julianne, surely has to be a single, and the trip that is 'A Change In The Weather', Wayne's new song contribution.
Both Julianne and Wayne are in fantastic voice, as good as I've ever heard Wayne to be honest, but they have been largely overlooked by the media in recent years and in this age of X-Factor and very manufactured pop music they are beacons of integrity and a good example of artists traveling their own route and playing by their own rules. Now if only they could receive the acclaim they both richly deserve.
Highlights for me on the album are the aforementioned 'Dangerous Eyes', an amazing rendition of the classic 'Wichita Lineman' which should be another single, and a slightly skewed version of Bowie's 'Ashes To Ashes' which I can predict will leave most listeners confounded. I also really enjoy the 'chilled' vibe of the Thinner Air Mix of Depeche Mode's 'Enjoy The Silence', far far superior in every way to the recent Susan Boyle version.
Julianne and Wayne are two artists who reside outside of the 'normal' UK music business and because of this it affords them the opportunity to make music THEY enjoy rather than music they feel other people will enjoy. We should encourage our artists who don't travel the straight road and in Julianne and Wayne we have two of the best voices in unison, in harmony on what, for me, is certainly one of the albums of the year. Just don't expect The Mission or All About Eve!
I hope Hussey-Regan go onto record more together because it's certainly a relationship that bears the most delicious fruit, I'd just like maybe to hear more new material next time around. And oh yeh, some gigs would be good too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Three songs too short!, 22 Nov 2011
Mr. M. A. Reed (Argleton, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Curios (Audio CD)
Did you buy the new Wayne Hussey album on his tour? Well done you chump. It's out again now, with 3 extra tracks. Nice to see loyalty rewarded by slicing songs OFF the version you can buy at gigs. And people wonder why punters don't buy records anymore. Nice way of exploiting a dwindling cash-starved fanbase with castrated CD product at the gigs, then putting extra stuff on the actual, hold-in-your-hands proper version.

Curios
Curios by Stevie Wonder (Audio CD - 2011)