I normally purchase all of my books via Amazon as my other reviews show, however I must confirm that I purchased this book elsewhere (TBP) as it came as a pack of the first four books in the Iron Fey series and at just under the price of one individual book - so apologies Amazon for the 'betrayal' but you couldn't beat the price on this set. I also wouldn't normally write a book review on Amazon for a book I had purchased elsewhere but this series has me absolutely hooked and I wanted to add my twopence to the other reviews already posted.

The series follows Meghan Chase who discovers around her sixteenth birthday that she can see The Fey, that the person she thought was her biological father and who disappeared when she was six is not her father and her actual father is King Oberon Lord of the Summer Fey, her best friend at school is actually Puck from A Midsummer Night's Dream and that despite her reservations about being the half breed princess daughter of King Oberon that actually she does care and fit in with the world of The Fey. This book picks up straight after the third book; The Iron Queen, which saw Meghan become as the title suggests - The Iron Queen and ruler of the Iron Fey. As Ash would not be able to survive in the Iron Realm, Meghan releases him from his vow to be her knight by using his true name and making him leave the Iron Realm. This story is all about Ash and was by far my favourite in the series. Ash is determined to find a way to be with Meghan and therefore seeks out with the aid of Puck, Grimalkin and the Big Bad Wolf to find a soul. So will he manage to reach the end of the earth, earn his soul and finally be able to be with Meghan or are they fated to never be together?......

There is quite a few twists, turns and surprises in this book and a character from Ash's past turns up along with the Big Bad Wolf who plays a brief part in the short story Winter's Passage which is included in the short story compilation book; The Iron Legends. I loved the Wolf and especially his and Grimalkin's interactions with each other which I found really funny. Grimalkin and his honourable yet devious and self-serving ways is still my favourite character however the Wolf has managed to slip up into the top three (Ash and Grimalkin being the other two) especially following his actions in the Gauntlet. A brilliant series which I am so sad has ended although I know there is another trilogy featuring Meghan's brother Ethan which I will hopefully be able to read soon. Please also don't let the 'the next twilight' sticker on the front of the book put you off (although I am a massive Twilight book fan) if it would normally do so as honestly the series stands on it's own merit without having to compare it to any other book series. I have listed the reading order of the books so far below in case this is of help to anyone else:

The Iron Fey:-
Book 1: The Iron King (The Iron Fey - Book 1) (MIRA)
Short Story e-book: Winter's Passage (The Iron Fey short story - Book 1)
Book 2: The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey - Book 2)
Book 3: The Iron Queen (The Iron Fey - Book 3)
Short Story e-book: Summer's Crossing (The Iron Fey short story - Book 2)
Book 4: The Iron Knight

The Iron Fey Call of the Forgotten:-
Short Story e-book: Iron's Prophecy (The Iron Fey - prequel to The Lost Prince)
Book 1: The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey - Book 5)
Book 2: The Iron Traitor (The Iron Fey)

Compilation of all e-books in paperback:-
The Iron Legends (The Iron Fey)
on 20 October 2012
I do not wish to hide this entire review under a spoiler tag so please use this as a warning that if you have not yet read the earlier books in this series, please continue with caution. And secondly, why have you not yet read the previous books in this series? I strongly suggest that you do... quickly!

There was no better way to end this series than by letting us inside the head of Ash as he faces his hardest challenges yet. As he fights his way through the Nevernever to reach the End of the World as he attempts to earn his soul and become human so that he can be with Meghan in the Iron realm.

There is hardly any Meghan in this story but I really didn't find myself missing her. We know her story and the decisions she has made. This is all about Ash, his past, his present and his future.

The same cast of characters are along for the adventure... Ash, Puck, Grimalkin, a new face and an old one also come along for the ride. There are a lot of trials and tribulations that are faced along the way and not everybody makes it out alive... The world building has continued to be exceptional in this series. I know quite a bit is pulled from previous fey stories and legends but Kagawa has blended the past and future seamlessly.

Puck is his same old self, funny, caring and loyal. I have never hidden my love for Puck and why would I want to? He is the most amazing character and as much as I have also come to love Ash I do feel for Puck. He has appeared to have accepted Meghan's decision to be with Ash but you can see there is still hurt there. Obviously with Puck being Puck I think he will be able to move on, of course at his age this can not be the first time he has been in love and will not be the last. It is obvious that he loves Ash as a friend just as much as he loves Meghan and he does want them to be happy. I loved that we were able to see Puck and Ash's relationship evolve into something new. The vow that Ash made to kill Puck long ago was made at a moment of anger and pain. It has always been apparent that his heart was never in the task. If Ash really wanted Puck dead I believe it would have been taken care of a long time ago. It was nice to see them working through their problems.

In order to know what it is to become human, Ash must face his past. The walls that he has built up over his long life, the damage he has done to others around him, the death he has caused, the heartache... He has not always been a very nice guy. He also feels what it will be like to have a human body. His strength and agility will disappear. He will be able to be at Meghan's side but at what cost? He is her Knight and has vowed to protect her forever. When you are mortal the days will add up, unlike when you are fey and time does not matter.

The choice is difficult and it is one that can not be changed once made. What will he choose in the end?

I have read a few stories here and there that Kagawa had intended the Iron Fey series to be just the three books. I would have gone insane if it would have ended after The Iron Queen. To be honest it would have been hard for me to pick up anything else she wrote because I would have felt there was an empty space that needed filled. I truly say that The Iron Knight has filled that empty space and I am very happy with the way this series has ended.

Now with that said, there is a spin off series starting very soon, The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten. There is one final novella that I must read before I can start The Lost Prince but I am very excited to see where this world will be taking me next...

"There is nothing more terrible than a spurned faery queen, particularly if you defy her a second time. I escaped the Winter Court with my life intact, but just barely, and I won't be returning any time soon. My loyalty - and my heart - belongs to another queen now."

Christine
Rainy Day Reads
on 22 May 2016
This is the fourth book in the Iron Fey series. I absolutely loved it!

Ash is a fantastic character. I didn't like him when he was first introduced into the Iron Fey series, as he, being the third son of the Unseelie Queen and prince of the Winter Court, was the enemy of Meghan. However, as the series progressed, I fell for this complex being. By the end of The Iron Queen, he had my heart. Now that Meghan is the Iron Queen, Ash faces a difficult choice. Live without her forever, or find a way for them to be together at great cost to his fey life by becoming mortal. Ash's decision to find a way to be with Meghan in the Iron Realm will have huge consequences if he should fail. But, in order to keep his oath to be her Knight, he will have to find a way to earn a soul.

After reading the first three stories through the view point of Meghan, I found myself intrigued with this tale as it's told through Ash's eyes. He usually hides his emotions under an icy exterior. This is due to his upbringing where showing emotion is seen as weak in the Winter Court, so getting to see the world through his eyes was an eye-opener for me.

I loved meeting Puck and Grimalkin again, as well as a few other characters from the previous books. The story is again full of danger and adventure. In this story, the reader gets to see what happened to cause the feud between Ash and Puck. It was a tragic accident, but their friendship had become irrevocably strained by a vow made in anger and sorrow. Even though they are bound by this vow, there is a respect and deep friendship hidden amongst the heartbreak.

As the story unfolded, I found myself on a roller coaster ride of emotion. I had tears streaming down my face even when there was no logical reason for them. Call me a soppy romantic if you will. However, the danger that Ash, Grimalkin, The Big Bad Wolf and Puck faces had me sitting on the edge of my seat. I love the witty dialogue between Ash and Puck, and Grimalkin is his usual secretive self. Due to the vivid descriptive writing, I could picture everything perfectly in my mind's eye. I had shivers running up and down my spine when the group of characters ended up in a town where the fey who have been forgotten congregate. It was incredibly creepy. Just thinking about it has just sent another shiver down my spine! Although the trials Ash faces to gain his mortality are dangerous at times, it was the courage of another character that impressed me; there is a surprising twist involving them that I didn't see coming.

I reached the end of the book feeling a little wrung out. Ash's quest to be with his love touched me deeply. This story (and series) has to be one of the most emotional reads I've read for years. As I said in my review of The Iron Queen, I must be a masochist because I am looking forward to reading The Lost Prince, which follows Meghan's brother, Ethan, as soon as I can.

Julie Kagawa has written a fantastic Young Adult series. I love her writing style, which is fast paced and exciting. The flow was also wonderful, as each scene moved effortlessly into the next. She has found a firm fan in me and I will definitely be reading more of her books in the future.

There are scenes that have some violence or are a little gory, therefore, I do not recommend this to readers under 15. However, I highly recommend this book if you love YA fantasy or paranormal romances. - Lynn Worton
The Iron Knight is, without a doubt, my favourite book in the entire Iron Fey series - yes I am counting The Lost Prince in this. I loved reading from Ash's perspective but really it was also the plot of this book that truly blew me away. Not happy with spending an eternity without Meghan by his side, he takes a vow to do everything in his power to change his destiny. With the help of Puck and Grim, he travels to the end of the Fey world to do this. I was enthralled with all the different challenges that arose throughout this journey, I thoroughly enjoyed the relationship between all of the characters - but I especially enjoyed the friendship between Ash and Puck and all of the complications that arose from it. My favourite part of the book, however, was right at the very end of the book when they finally reach their destination - but don't worry, that's all I'll say so as not to ruin it.

This book was, in my opinion, the perfect ending to this series. It was a great, fun, emotional, powerful story that literally took you on a journey and showed you the many strengths of the secondary characters in this series. It was interesting, unique, and really enchanting. I was overjoyed while reading this book and I just really loved the ending of it to pieces. I truly enjoyed Ash as a narrator and simply could not recommend reading this series just to read this book more. The series as a whole was really enjoyable, but it was this book that really tipped the scale for me. So, what are you still reading this for? Go and get started on the Iron Fey series NOW.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 August 2012
The fourth and final installment in the Iron Fey series had a lot to live up to; the previous three have been full of action, adventure and wit but could this one match up? The answer is unequivocably yes! I found book 4 to the best so far and this is why:

The Iron Knight is written from Ash's perspective. For Ash fans out there that's a winning component in itself but what I loved about it so much was the way Kagawa has conveyed his character. I really felt that now that I could see how Ash thinks and expresses himself that I understood his character much better. I particularly loved the exploration of his relationship and constant fued with Puck - reading about this from Ash's point of view and being able to see that they are actually great friends was a huge reason why I loved reading this book.

The story itself is the best so far though. This time Ash is on a quest to become human and with the help of Grimalkin (everyone's favourite cat), the Wolf (who you might remember from one of the novella's Kagawa has written) and of course Puck (the cheeky summer fey). The quest is so much fun to read about! Ash must journey to the end of the world (yes really) and find the battle grounds where he must complete a series of tests to become human. The journey to the end of the world was gripping in itself and full of lots of different fey but the tests Ash had to complete were so gripping - I just couldn't put the book down.

Each test Ash completes will show him what it truly means to become human. In particular, he will learn what it means to no longer rely on being a Winter Prince, being weaker than the fey, feeling guilt and pain. To demonstrate this we get to revisit all of the things that Ash has done in the past, so we get a really brilliant insight into his past and backstory. Of course we do get to see Meghan once or twice too so she isn't completely out of the picture; after all Ash's quest to be human started because he was banished from the Iron Realm where Meghan is because of the effects it has on his health.

Overall, I found this book reignited my love for Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series. I had enjoyed the previous stories but was beginning to feel that they were becoming repetitive and lost interest a little bit. However, after reading the Iron Knight I can't recommend this book enough and I can't wait to see what Kagawa will do with her spin-off series starring Ethan Chase as the lead.
on 13 March 2012
The Iron Knight far exceeded all my expectations, although it was bittersweet knowing it was the final book with these characters. It was a fantastic end of a fantastic series.

I really can't go on enough about how much I enjoyed reading this book. I'm trying to write this review without too many spoilers, but I can't promise one or two subtle ones won't come through, so please proceed with caution. It was at its heart a quest story, done really, really well. It had a hero, a group of misfit companions, lots of traveling, trials and finally a grail: Ash's humanity.

The book picks up where The Iron Queen leaves off. Meghan is now queen of the Iron Fey and Ash can't be with her because iron is poison to him. So Ash and the legendary Puck (who can't resist a good adventure) try to search the faerie realms for a way to turn mortal--to have a soul--so he can live with Meghan in her realm.

Julie Kagawa's world-building was at her best in this book. The Nevernever, a place full of trickery and the ever hostile war between the Winter and Summer courts, was brought alive through the Wyldwood, the River of Dreams, The End of the World, the Testing Grounds. My favourite place was Phaed, where faeries live who have lost their name because no one remembers them any longer. Every page that was set in Phaed made me feel an amazing mixture of chills and sympathy. In fact, everywhere our heroes went felt truly menacing and you really got the idea that they were trying to achieve the impossible.

The book also made me love who I thought I would never love, Ash, the former prince of the Unseelie Court. I know, I know, Ash is a heart throb, but I've always thought he was cold and unfeeling and I am definitely Team Puck all the way. However, having him as the narrator really made a difference. I discovered his rather dry sense of humour, and a real purpose about him that I've missed. That said, Puck also shined spectacularly and his dialogue during some of the slower parts of the book really saved it. I really enjoyed seeing their love/hate relationship blossom to the fullest. A true bro-mance indeed!

The rest of the companions from the always entertaining Grimalkin, to the Big Bad Wolf of fairy tale legend and especially the mysterious Ariella, who I felt truly brought the series full circle. The lack of Meghan definitely did the story good, in my opinion, because it gave so many of the other characters a chance to shine.

The best part of the book, was near the end. The `dream sequence' during one of Ash's final trials, was so well conceived, had so much heart and emotion and flowed so seamlessly into the story was so heart-wrenching and well-integrated. I was heart-broken, because I believed it, even though it may not have been real. I felt a great amount of emotion, and for a book with a narrator as Ice Boy himself, that was a great feat.

Just falls short of 5 stars for me because of some of the pacing was a little slow, but I thoroughly enjoyed the banter throughout. I will miss all the characters, especially you Puck, you glorious trickster you. It's been wonderful going on a journey with them and I can't wait to read what Julie writes next.
on 6 February 2012
"I'm almost there. Wait for me just a little bit longer. "

I honestly don't even know where to begin with this review and I don't even think I could write a review that will do this book the praise it deserves but I will say this, The Iron Knight had everything I could have asked for and more. Julie Kagawa has utterly surpassed my expectations and blown all previous books away with her truly amazing writing, her creative imagination and her gift for storytelling. Not only has she done a fantastic job with this novel but she has left me utterly speechless. Never have I felt so much joy and sadness for a book before but that's what I'm left with. I'm left with Joy because it's the most perfect ending to a fantastic series and sadness because it's finally come to an end. Not only am I sad to be leaving these characters that I love but I am also sad that I didn't get to spend more time with them as I wished. After only discovering this series a few months ago, I feel my time has come to an end too quickly. But, I do believe it was the best possible way because the excitement I had when I first started this series, is still with me now even though I've finished the final book.

Looking back on all four books, I honestly would have been sad had it of ended with The Iron Queen therefore I am truly grateful to Julie to have continued on with the series and created another amazing piece of work. Ash has always been a favourite character of mine, I've loved him from the start and if it's possible I think I love him that much more now. This story shows him in a completely different light, you get to see his deepest darkest secrets and somehow still manage to love him. Julie definitely did the right thing by doing this book from his point of view, I know it was sad to leave Meghan behind but she's not truly forgotten. Honestly, if could rate The Iron Knight 10 out of 10 I would. This book is definitely my favourite out of the series and this series is definitely my favourite out of everything I've read.

Thank you once again to Julie Kagawa for captivating us, compelling us and taking us all on this incredible journey with you. Even though the series has come to an end, it will truly not be forgotten and will be forever in our hearts.
VINE VOICEon 3 January 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having read all the books in the Iron Fey series, I have to say that the Iron Knight was my least favourite. As it centres on Ash and his personal quest, it lacked the excitement and pace that made the first three novels so entertaining.

Although the author clearly wrote this book to make Ash a more fully rounded character for the fans of the series, I really think that the series should have ended with The Iron Queen.

The Iron Knight does have a clear story, but the pace of the book seemed very slow to me. The longing to be with Meghan is heart wrenching at the end of the last book and the beginning of this one, however it did start to feel slightly tedious as the book went on. This may have been due to my personal preference, as I have always found Puck to be so much more entertaining and likable compared to Ash. It was also nice to see Ash and Puck finally make their peace, as they make better friends than they do enemies!

The secondary characters of Grim and the Wolf were excellent, they stole the show in every scene they were in. The sarcasm and rivalry that they shared really lifted the mood of the novel, and their spats never failed to make me smile.

There were parts of the book that did stand out and shine, the main one being the trip along the River of Dreams. The imagination and thought that went into this idea really did impress me, and I found myself savouring this section of the book. I did also enjoy the "what could be" scene of Ash's life if he was to become human, and how this would affect him and those closest to him.

Although I have immensely enjoyed all of the Iron Fey books, I don't think this last book was a necessity to the series. The ending was a little too "happily ever after" for me, and I felt that the series could have ended on a more mature and harder hitting note in the Iron Queen.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Though loved by the Iron Queen, as a Winter Prince and full-blooded fey, Ash has been banished from the Iron Court, because iron is poison to the Summer and Winter fey, and Meaghan has no wish to see him destroyed. But Ash has loved and lost before, and he has no intention of giving her up this side of death. So he vows to find a way to be with her again, no matter what it takes...

After the wars are over and peace is settling, there's nothing like a good old fashioned quest. Half-fey Meaghan's story may be over (The Iron Fey series), but now it's Ash's turn. Thankfully the cold Winter Prince has a host of travelling companions along for the ride - enigmatic Grimalkin and annoying/mischievous Puck/Robin Goodfellow return from earlier tales, joined this time by a tragic seer and the brilliant Big Bad Wolf - so Ash's taciturn demeanour has little chance to dampen the tale.

Especially when the scenery is so enthralling, travelling through the Wyldwood, down the River of Dreams, into the Briars and through the Gauntlet to... well, you'll have to see for yourself.

Rammed with fairytales and folklore, scattered with fascinating locations and with a great quest at the heart, I really enjoyed this look into Ash's head. He's a complicated guy and his tests are brilliantly laid out. Tough, emotional, imaginative and compelling, this is a good end to all that has gone before.
on 2 June 2013
I found this fourth book in the series to be rather an interesting read. We've all been reading the series so far from Meghan's pov and I really enjoyed her narrative voice throughout the first three books, then we get to the fourth one and find it's from Ash's pov. I was excited because I liked Ash from the start so I was looking forward to reading the story from his pov and getting his aspect on the nevernever, which was slightly different to Meghan's. In this novel Ash is determined to find a way to be with Meghan after he was banished by her from the iron court, so the story follows his journey with a few 'helpful' friends to find a way of being with Meghan. Ash faces many challenges as well as having to face his past and the reader finds out a lot more about Ash as he tries to deal with all of this. However if you're not into a lot of brooding, Ash can be a bit of a brooder! The relationship between Ash and Puck is an interesting development which I found funny and interesting. On a more critiquing note, I did miss Meghan in this story, the relationship between her and Ash, and the end had me a bit like: "really? that's how it ends, that's it?"
I'm hoping that book 5 will sort of show us how Meghan and Ash are getting on in the future, even though it's in Ethan's pov. :)