5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect ending, and a classic saga
Published on 22 Nov. 2010 by Picard

3.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, shame about the short feature.
The main movie is, as most pixar offerings are, enormously entertaining and the 3D element makes it a joy on the eye. I doubt there are many people who aren't familar with Buzz, Woody and the rest of Andy's toys. This latest instalment is about what happens to them when Andy grows up and goes off to college.

I'm not going to go into any detail about the movie...
Published on 18 Nov. 2011 by Mrs. L. J. Swann

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect ending, and a classic saga, 22 Nov. 2010
Picard (USS Enterprise) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
If we are considering the medium at first, which is of course a Blu-Ray for this product, then you absolutely won't be disappointed. Toy Story 3 is by far and away one of the best High Def films I've watched to date and undoubtedly the most beautiful looking of the Toy Story saga. This is likely to be expected since it is a modern production, but we should also consider that the original Toy Story (1995), whilst looking sharper than ever in High Def, also reveals the older technology that produced the film. Toy Story 3, however, almost looks good enough to touch.

One of the greater aspects visually is the use of colour, and its of course amazing to see how far Pixar have come in just 15 years. Every environment has its own specific colour timing; the grass and tree leaves pierce out of the TV, but most astonishing is the scene at the Waste Depot, where the small shards of metal seem to roll on endlessly as if each one was designed and rendered separately. Along with Disney's release of 'Fantasia' earlier this month, these two films would be the only demonstrations I would personally need for Blu-Ray technology. And thats without describing the lossless soundtrack that, as with every Pixar Blu-Ray, just fills the room with a wonderful dynamic range. During the 'Freak Out' scene where Ken models his clothing, the kick-drum sounded as if it was being hit in front of me.

I'm holding back from talking too much about the film itself, given it has been talked of so much already. All I will say on this matter is that it does indeed take a different direction to the previous two films, but does so in such a way that is more bold. Toy Story 3 features more moral values and heart than its former films, and thats what won me over as it being the best of the trio. From a technical stand point, it is an entirely clever film from start to finish and manages to touch the hearts of viewers from all ages. The ending alone forced me to hold back the tears through gritted teeth!

So, whats all this "Triple Play" and "Double Play" business? Its merely a confusing effort from Disney to encourage buyers to go for the Blu-Ray format. The "Double Play" edition of Toy Story 3 features 3 Discs;

- 1 Blu-Ray [Feature Film]
- 1 Blu-Ray [Bonus Content]
- 1 DVD [Feature Film]

Therefore, the product exists so you can watch the film in either Blu-Ray or DVD. If you've moved over to Blu-Ray, then the DVD is very handy for lending to friends or for back-up!

This product is "Triple Play", which means that you not only get the 3 discs mentioned previously, but you get a forth disc that has a "Digital Copy" of the film. This 'Digital Copy' is neither a DVD nor a Blu-Ray; it is designed to be placed into your PC/Mac and imported into iTunes, where after the film has been copied from the disc, can be played from your computers hard drive, or best of all (if you actually watch films on-the-go), on iPods, iPads, iPhones, any iDevice or mobile device that supports a media player.

The 'Digital Copy' is somewhat negotiable. For an extra two pounds and the fancier cover, I'm sure many will be tempted by this 'Triple Play' product because its the top of the line, but please think again. Will the 'Digital Copy' really come in handy for you? Because after all, every computer has a DVD drive, so for the sake of watching this film on a mobile device, the extra two quid can be argued.

My personal opinion? Both PC's and Mac have software readily available that enables one to copy a film directly from a DVD to a computer. And its free... So i'm arguing that the 'Digital Copy' is somewhat a waste of a disc.

In short, this has to be not just one of the films of the year, but also one of the Blu-Rays. The extra features are plentiful, the presentation is beautiful, and I couldn't be happier with the way the Toy Story saga has been wrapped up. Top marks to Pixar for continuing to make such wonderfully original films, but shame on Disney for taking most of the credit for these efforts when, quite frankly, their own films these days don't stand up anywhere near as tall.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is nothing superficial or plastic about these toys., 25 Nov. 2010
Janie Reader (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Toy Story was a real benchmark in terms of animation. It captivated audiences with its groundbreaking visuals for the time and touching sentiment. Ironically never before had computer animation felt so real and human.

The third and supposedly final installment of the much loved franchise retains that same warmth and heart whilst not only delivering on the visuals but also pushing the boundaries of in terms of what is possible. Once again Toy Story 3; after Wall E and UP, is the perfect testament to showcase how pixar are the leading pioneers in animation. Far superior to anything dream works can cough up.

In contrast to the first and second outing, Toy Story 3 touches on subjects more adult than its counterparts, focusing on the dynamics of the relationships seen within family life and specifically the impact that the kids growing up has upon the family struture. Even though the film deals with slightly darker issues such as loss and despair, in true toy story fashion the subjects are addressed with a real tenderness and the tone still remains upbeat and light hearted through its witty humour such as Buzz being reset in spanish and well developed likeable characters such as Barbie and Ken that are a welcome addition to the series, both of which inevitably prove to be the most plastic of all the toys.

On the Blu Ray platform it looks breathtaking. Especially evident within the opening sequence; which I would use to showcase blu ray and its capabillities as their are an array of colours which are rich and vivid. Also throughout the film the settings and characters look sharper and more lifelike than ever. It was enchanting and I was totally immersed.

Ultimatley Toy STory 3 is still a family film so it certainly appeals to an audience both young and old, and for many this film will be more of a treasured gem than merely a film as it captures childhood and nostalgia for toy story is something we have all grown up with.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Toys are Back in Town, 29 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Toy Story 3 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I am a huge fan of the Toy Story series, I own all three and even have Woody, Buzz Slinky Dog and Bullseye dolls despite being 16 years old. After the third and final film of the series was released in the cinema, I organised a big group of my friends to accompany me to see it. The ages ranged from 3 to 52, and every single one of us loved it.

The film deals with a lot of deep issues and is definitely the darkest of all the series, but in my opinion it is the best. The graphics are utterly stunning, and if you were to compare the first Toy Story with Toy Story 3, you will see how far computer animation has come in the past 16 years. The story line has you glued to the cinema screen from the beginning, and never ceases to lose you throughout the 90 minutes.

Toy Story 3 brings back all the main characters from the first two films; Woody, Buzz, Jessie, Bullseye, Mr & Mrs Potato Head, Hamm, Slinkly Dog and my personal favourite, Rex. It also introduces new characters, such as Losto the Hugging Bear (Who smells of strawberries!) and Ken, whom is the funniest of all the characters.

In my opinion, this movie is the perfect film. As it appeals to any age group, makes you laugh and even if you have watched it a 100 times it still feels like its your first.

If you don't already own it, what are you waiting for? Click ADD TO BASKET now! (and don't forget to include Toy Story/Toy Story 2 [DVD].)

5.0 out of 5 stars Darkside, Sunnyside, 13 Jan. 2011
ratmonkey (Hardy Country) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toy Story 3 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Not having seen the previous 2 instalments for many years I thought it might take me some time to slip back in to the Toy Story universe. It also was rather humbling to remember that this was THE first proper feature length Pixar, and fully animated CGI film - the franchise that started it all. And the difference between the first and 3rd films is noticeable. Obviously the 3rd is far more defined and much slicker, albeit bathed in a very 'old-skool' light that relates them.

The story itself is rather sad - Andy is all grown up and off to college and has to either get rid of the toys or send them to SunnySide Nursery. A normally mundane task is shown as great peril. The usual mishaps occur and instead of the attic, the toys are redesignated to the nursery. I won't spoil it as it is a lot of fun to watch but suffice to say, things are not as they seem. Some great new characters are created, like Lotso, the creepy Big Baby and the absolutely show-stealing Ken, excellently played by Michael Keaton.

The ending is sad but in a nice way but, as with most Pixar films, you won't want it to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars how can anyone give this one star..., 3 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Toy Story 3 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
...unless seeing children's toys make you angry or something, because this is the most fun animated film yet, hell the most fun film ever. You know what toy story 1 I would say would always be my favourite well move over because toy story 3 is in town and it's amazing. Also if you are like me and found that the boy especially in toy story 2 looked like an old man well you're in luck they've fixed it, man it really annoyed me I don't know why it just did, though the mum looks to young but that's not really important.

The IMPORTANT thing is the great story they have written and buzz speaking Spanish, great idea, don't worry me saying that won't destroy the joke because well I knew this and I still love it. They put these toys in such peril and give them such character I feel I must search for my lost toys, because knowing their despair can't do anything but think about how I threw them away not caring for their feelings. But remembering how fun it was to melt a toy solider (which you should never do) I soon stopped caring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant film and the extras on the DVD are good, too!, 8 May 2011
L. Bretherton "dempie" (Tiverton, Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Toy Story 3 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Watched this with my husband and 20-year old son, both of whom were a bit gulpy at the end of the movie!

There are some very moving scenes, beautiful animation, hilarious moments, scary bits and creepy bits (The Big Baby Doll - spooky!). It will appeal to most ages, though perhaps not anyone under the age of 6!

A lovley end to the series, and a wonderful representation of what it's like when a child moves on to the next stage of their life.

Don't miss the extras on the DVD - there's a cute short film, Night and Day, some great interviews with Pixar staff and the actors (also shots of them recording their lines), and lots of interesting bits and pieces.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good conclusion to the trilogy of stories., 7 Jan. 2011
A. Davis (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Having really enjoyed both 'Toy Story' and 'Toy Story 2' I was doubtful they could repeat the success a third time. Luckily I was wrong!
The story is quite clever in how it moves events along and updates the situation. There is a good mix of humour and sadness, and I defy most people not to have a tear in their eye at least once during the film.
All the good characters return and are just how you expect them to be, the voice actors do a superb job of bringing the characters to life.

As for the Blu-ray, its a good transfer with a nice clear detailed picture and excellent sound.

If you liked either of the previouse 'Toy Sory' films then give it a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars The end of an era, 29 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Toy Story 3 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I took my eldest son to see this at the cinema last year as a mummy-son treat and he was transfixed from start to finish. He may be six but not one concept of this amazing film was lost on him. By the end of the film we were both bawling our faces off and it's taken about ten watches of the DVD to get us to stop tearing up at the end. I wouldn't say we are desensitised to the emotion, just a little more stiff-upper-lip!

Toy Story 3 is just as clever, just as entertaining and just as funny as the first [ "That wasn't flying... That was falling with style!"] and second films. We awwed and sniffled at the fact that Andy is now all grown up and I felt truly guilty remembering my own childhood toys I outgrew. I loved the Ken and Barbie sequences, the references to Sunnyside being like a prison and little Bonnie was simply delightful. How is it possible that one trilogy could improve with every film??

As the credits rolled I thought "oh my God, it's over. No more Toy Story." And it made me feel a little empty. They couldn't go on forever and let's face it everything must come to an end sometime but waaaahhhhhh! I'm just glad the toys got a fitting conclusion to their fifteen-year story.

I was 16 when Toy Story came out and remember being completely over-awed by the computer graphics rather than the cartoons I had grown up ith. The lines were laugh-out-loud and I bought the VHS within days of its release. Now at 32 I have two boys of my own and they love it just as much as I did/still do! The youngest is 2 and a half and he goes crazy for Buzz and Woody. As long as they keep the Toy Story 1-3 Box Set [DVD] unscratched, I hope they continue to enjoy them for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars No problem with this series running to infinity and beyond..., 16 July 2011
C. MILLIGAN "Zaarin2006" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toy Story 3 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I have a soft-spot for Pixar. I'll admit it. Everything they touch seems to turn to genius, in my eyes at least. But this is a serious movie review, so let's knuckle down to it on that very unbiased opening line...

This film is a second sequel, evidenced by the number 3 in its title. I know what you're thinking - Superman 3, Terminator 3, Saw III right? But let us not forget that 3 can also be a harbinger of surprising quality, a new energy in a potentially tiring series; the third Back to the Future was remarkably good, Revenge of the Sith was hands down the best of the "new" trilogy and - of course - when the King returned in the final chapter of Tolkeinian wonder we were, suffice to say, speechless.

So how is Toy Story's toll taken? Pretty well actually, everything is in place to make it of the same visual standard as its predecessors, and other stand alone Pixar efforts. Animation and ocular appeasement are, needless to say, of the very highest quality and continue to make most of Dreamworks efforts look a little bit shabby. Plotwise we're succeeding too, more on that shortly, but the real marks for creative effort - and marks which Pixar continues to gain with each work it produces - go to the team (whoever they are) that specialises in the observational comedy. The carefully manicured (and - it's easy to forget - animated from scratch) sequences that put the flesh on the bones; things like Spanish Buzz's brief laser dance a la flamenco (if this means nothing to you, I'm not even going to think about spoiling it any further - just watch it!), the ingenuity that has clearly gone on by looking at the aging toys of our childhood and thinking "yeah, I can imagine them doing this."

The story - the toy story that is - is, traditionally now, one of strong friendship overcoming adversity. To briefly outline the plot, Andy has grown into a (surprisingly pleasant) teenager and is about to head off to college when the toys realise their lives are about to change and possibly not for the better. Some scrambling later they find themselves in a Shawshank-esque day care centre run by an initially jovial bear that smells of strawberries...things take a turn for the worse and the toys must take strength from their enduring friendships and desire to help others which leads to some truly, truly moving pieces of cinema, not least the final scenes of both peril and delight.

A lot of people like this film, and a lot more than might be expected of those are adults - or at least kids at heart. On a scoreboard of Pixar's own efforts alone, it probably ranks in the middle - it's not as groundbreaking as Finding Nemo, nor as intelligent as WALL-E, but it doesn't have to be because we're revisiting old friends and with that comes at least certain expectations. Animation these days - and especially Pixar presentations - have moved far beyond the boundary of age, and I think we have all accepted that now. The key trick is making sure there are things for both sides of the audience in there, which, in this film, assuredly there are. Great for kids too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Will take your child to infinity and beyond!, 1 Mar. 2011
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Toy Story 3 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Woody, Buzz and co have been faithful toys of Andy's for years, but now he is a 17 year old boy, he doesn't have much use for a sheriff, a space man and a Mr Potato Head. The toys keep trying to come up with new ideas to get Andy to play with them again but to no avail. Eventually, they are freed from their toybox prison when Andy sorts them out to go in the attice, but after a mishap with Andy's mum, they end up in the box destined for daycare. There, they meet Lotso, a pink bear who makes Sunnyside Daycare Centre out to be the best place for toys who aren't wanted anymore, so they are all excited about being at their new home. However, when the kids come crashing in, the toys realise they've been fooled and need to escape. Woody, the only one on the outside, has to help rescue his friends before the children destroy them all in the name of play! And what about Andy... will the toys get home to their owner before he leaves for college?

I certainly didn't expect the tear-jerking and superb movie that was put in front of me for nearly an hour and 45 minutes. Harry was absolutely mesmerised for the duration as well, quite a rare thing for him even at the cinema so it was definitely a brilliant movie for the both of us. The animation was just stunning, a real improvement on the original but it still has all the charm of the Toy Story movies that makes them appeal to children. The characters are the same, with a couple of fabulous additions for this film, and at the heart of it is a wonderful tale of a boy and his childhood toys.

The voice cast make this movie fantastic. Once again, the big names have reprised their roles, namely Tim Allen as Buzz Lightyear... hilarious as ever and of course Tom Hanks as hero Woody. To us adults who have seen the movies when we were children, hearing those voices again and seeing those characters threw me back 15 years, and it was fantastic! Woody and Buzz are still the same as ever, and have the same camaraderie and humour they did previously. Harry loved them too, especially Woody, and I love that they choose toys which young children will be able to relate to.

Humour is very much at the heart of this film. There is humour which appeals to children using the characters being silly and performing things which children will find very amusing, and at the same time humour is present for adults too. A few scenes involving Ken the doll were just hilarious and had all the mums in the cinema laughing along, it really was a brilliant addition, and just those scenes alone make me want to see the film again. Michael Keaton as the voice of Ken was fantastic, and suited the role perfectly. His opposite character Barbie was voiced by Jodi Benson, and I think she did a great job.

Some of the scenes in the daycare centre seemed a little scary for Harry. He didn't like the scenes at the rubbish dump or the incinerator, but I kept reassuring him and he seemed okay. I understand these films have to appeal to all ages and so need the element of drama, but very young children might find these scenes upsetting. He also couldn't understand why Andy was getting rid of his toys if he loved them so much - clearly the moral thread of the story isn't missed by even the youngest of viewers so I think Disney Pixar have done a good job picking out this storyline.

I thought this movie was utterly charming, and I loved every second of it. The voice cast are fantastic and bring to life the wonderful animation which is just faultless. The musical soundtrack, including the iconic song 'You've Got A Friend In Me' by Randy Newman from the first Toy Story film, suits the action on screen perfectly and really complements it. The story is easy enough to follow for young children who will undoubtedly love this movie, but there are undertones present for adults who will equally love it. It's heart-warming, funny, sweet and just wonderful - I can't recommend it highly enough for those of you with young children, and even if you haven't, watch it for the nostalgia of the old films and your own childhood! Simply brilliant. I can't wait to watch the first two films with my little Toy Story convert now!

Toy Story 3 (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Toy Story 3 (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) by Lee Unkrich (Blu-ray - 2011)