on 25 January 2012
I purchased the game knowing exactly what to expect as I have been a long-time player of WarCraft III. I re-purchased it after moving abroad and giving away all my games to my father and sister (who also enjoy the game!)

Armed with new and much faster computer than my previous one this game runs like a dream, but can still be played on surprisingly low-spec machines without much trouble at all.

The graphics are great. I really like the ability to zoom into my bases and through the terrain. The balancing is second-to-none and the patches have sorted out the problems that do remain. It's easy to get the hang of but challenging to master so doesn't get boring quickly.

The campaigns are fun and lighthearted. However, I personally did not enjoy the rigidness of it though; a degree of flexibility would have been good. The lack of a dedicated orc campaign in TFT is really dissapointing. They aren't as difficult as you might hope as they can usually be won with sheer numbers.

Custom battles are really good fun with a great range of maps and options. The AI can become quite predictable once you get the hang of the game and notice patterns but sometimes still a challenge on insane mode if you give yourself a handicap. The fact that the enemy won't use ships or zeppelins is very frustrating as it means you can't play some maps against the computer.

Mutliplayer mode is brilliant fun, though the online community can be quite abusive and aren't welcoming to casual players who just enjoy the occassional game. The levelling system doesn't make sense as players can create as many accounts as they like meaning that expert players can have level one accounts and obliterate you. There are some truly fantastic custom maps out there made by the community
on 17 April 2013
To receive the latest patch for this game (and there's one waiting if you've just installed the game) click on the 'Battle.net' button on the main screen.
Amongst other things, it gives you more options when selecting your screen resolution (my game plays in full-screen mode now, whereas it could not before).

A complete list of all the changes included in the latest patch can be found on the URL below:
[...]

I'm not going to review the game itself since any of the 5* reviews does this game enough justice :)
on 1 February 2013
Great game well worth the money, hours of fun.
compatible with Windows 7 it runs fine no problems.
Very playable, I have the full set of Warcraft and this
is the best of the three. I have not played the -
frozen throne expansion yet
but if its anything like the reign of chaos I,ll be happy.
Good story line, good game play and bags of fun.
on 1 September 2013
I'm still busy with the campaigns but this game has lived up to my expectations, so far! I wanted to rediscover the games I used to play when I was younger so I started with Starcraft 1, but couldn't find a decent Warcraft 2 so I chose this one instead and I'm not disappointed.

However, I don't know whether it is my computer which is getting old or if this version (English) of Warcraft 3 is not entirely compatible with my laptop (bought in Belgium) but I can't seem to be able to watch the cinematics in-between campaigns, although the smaller cinematics (at the start and end of each mission) are totally fine.

Additionally, battlenet seems to be unavailable (I get a warning stating that an error occurred while dling files from battlenet and that it may have sth to do with the space available on my hard drive, which is not really logical since I have 19Gb + available on it).
But apart from that, great feeling to play one of the best games in the world once again!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 February 2014
... of my Warcraft addiction.

That might sound like a horrible thing to say. Although, by "addiction" I do not use it in the fullest of its potential. Warcraft III is where the whole adventure of Orcs and Humans started for me. It i a fantastic story, spun with the fantasy creations of Orcs, once dedicated by Tolkien.

The story reveals the fall of Arthas to eventually become the Lich King, Surprisingly, the game is still a bundle of enjoyment and is great to play (especially if your WoW fan) to discover where the likes of the Lich King, Lady Sylvanas and Jaina Proudmoore.

The Gold Edtion comes with the extra expansion of the Frozen Throne, where you have the opportunity to take control of the Lich King and of Illidan Stormrage. The story of Outland is started in the expansion, which continues in the first WoW expansion.

A great game all round and deserves its success.
on 7 October 2013
I've previously owned it before but my copy went missing, great price with included expansion, the game still looks visually stunning, the campaigns on single player have great storylines, good characters and is a great way to get used to all the functions and options the game has to offer, the online battle.net is where it really comes into its own though, the only fault i would say is sometimes the pairing of teams when playing with random people can be a bit unfair especially when your starting to just get to know the game but if you stick with it, it will be worth while in the end
on 6 September 2015
The game has been sent to me not in english with no way to change the language. When I try to start the campaign in the foreign language the game crashes
on 27 December 2012
Like many I got into WoW after having a go on a trial account. Many events in World of Warcraft reference events of Warcraft 3 and as such Warcraft 3 is brilliant for filling in the back storey. Although it does show it's age when it comes to the graphics the game play is sound and very addictive! It is a brilliant strategy game with a rich storey line that will keep you playing for hours!
on 2 December 2015
What else can be said about warcraft III? Other that it influenced greatly every fantasy rts that came at its time; or that it was tremendously copied by its peers?

For every fantasy rts lover this is a must have.

The Frozen Throne, albeit still a fine expansion is not as thrilling as the rest, but still good.
on 5 July 2012
This game is and always will be one of the best - a game from when I still respected Blizard as one of the best (Diablo II, Starcraft - how could anyone not have liced them?). Though (in my opinion) the company has gone down hill, one should not ignore what they had accomplished - a game with an ever thriving community that will still continue on long.
The game it self is a wonderful example of a Real-time strategy with 4 primary races and two new auxiliary races being added in the expansion.
The expansion also includes various new units (sea battles :D), campaigns and buildings etc.
One of the best feature of this game is the editor though - revolutionary at the time, it allowes you to change almost every feature of the game; resulting in hundreds of community based games and mini games running on different 'custom maps'.
I brought this item specifically for a friend who had never heard of the game before - I am looking forward to long nights of gaming ;).
All in all a great buy and would recommend to anyone who is even a little interested in gaming - there will beat least one custom game out there for everyone. And at this price, I mean c'mon you should have seen how much it used to cost out new xD