4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but one or two reservations
The big question is: is this watch just a cheap attempt to undercut Garmin, or is it really a good no-nonsense watch that gives speed and distance with no silly frills? Well - in the end I think it is a bit of both, but more the latter. So is it good? Well it sort of is, but with a few reservations.

First, I give it 4 stars, just because it is brilliant...
Published on 8 Dec 2011 by V. SMYTH

1.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to use!
Purchased this watch for tracking the distance I am running, the enclosed instructions were of no use at all. watch very difficult to set up and I still cant accurately set the watch and read the data.
Battery life with GPS on is 8 hours max and to charge is ONLY by connecting to a PC, not very convienient.
I have to say I wouldnt recomment this watch...
Published on 21 Jan 2012 by R. L. Judd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but one or two reservations, 8 Dec 2011
V. SMYTH "Vere Smyth" (Cookham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soleus GPS - All Black - (Watch)

First, I give it 4 stars, just because it is brilliant having a thing no bigger than a watch that can locate your position accurate to 10 metres! Fantastic for a runner who likes data. Also it gives you your speed or pace continuously (which I believe Garmin doesn't), and this is really good for judging pace.

Second, not 5 stars because of all of the following:

The sequence of buttons required to get what you want is very non-intuitive and the "users manual" is a single sheet of paper with a column of microscopic print in each of 9 different languages. But after a while you work out what gets the display you want, so I can live with this. I believe the competition is not much better.

The display itself (even when you get the right one) ranges between quite and very difficult to read, depending what you are trying to see. Some things like the units, and the battery indicator need a magnifying glass. The numbers are readable, but with some effort. I would prefer a single bold display of the number I wanted rather than the cluttered screen you get. I tried the watch cycling and there was no way I could take my eyes off the potholes long enough to read it. But in the end, running at least, you learn to live with it.

There are some things you need to know to get the GPS to work properly - and you are not told them. First, it can take up to a minute to lock into a satellite. During this time YOU SHOULD NOT MOVE. I did not know this, so I got bored waiting and started running. It took 3 attempts and 20 minutes for the watch to lock in. But if you keep still it works fine. Also (apparently) your sleeve should not cover it. On the first occasion the watch lost touch for 15 minutes during the run. It has not done this since I have been keeping it uncovered.

So what is the bottom line? In the end I think it is great, well worth the money. It does what it says, but you have to accept that it will not be the most user-friendly item you possess. Hopefully, when the 1.0 moves to 1.1 or 2.0 Soleus will make it perfect. Then it will get 5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Get what you pay for, 22 Feb 2013
This review is from: Soleus GPS - All Black - (Watch)
Hi this works well for me, I don't want to track on line so lack of connectivity with PC is not an issue. It is not overly user friendly and the instuctions are dreadful I was begining to think I couldnever set it up, however the Soleus youtube video takes you through set up stage by stage and worked really well.

It is also a bit slow to charge so I need to be organised and think ahead before a run.

All of that aside it works well and gives me all the info I need and price wise seriously undercuts its rivals in the entry GPS running market

5.0 out of 5 stars Great GPS watch, 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: Soleus GPS - All Black - (Watch)
Very good entry level GPS watch, perfect for every type of runner or cyclist!!!
Comfortable and very easy to use...

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 23 April 2012
Robert Macmillan (Windsor, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soleus GPS - All Black - (Watch)
This watch works well for me. I get it to search for GPS while I am stretching in my bedroom. It finds GPS in a few seconds and is ready to go. While running it gives me split times every mile and my final time and distance when I stop. It basically does exactly what I want it to do and so I would recommend it to others.

It could be better. The display could be simpler and the characters larger to be more readable when running, but it's good enough. It could also be a bit simpler to use but that's something you learn quickly and so is only a teething problem.

I would say if there is another watch for the same price with a simpler user interface and bigger more visible characters then buy it. But if something better is a lot more money you'll probably find this one works just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars sole us GPS 1, 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: Soleus GPS - All Black - (Watch)
Totally simple for use And reliable ... good comfort for small investment. Battery last enough for several trainings and every actions between. I am satisfied.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great and simple, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: Soleus GPS - All Black - (Watch)
A bit slow on picking up GPS signal.
Otherwise it's nice, simple and easy to use while running.
Battery duration is an additional advantage

5.0 out of 5 stars Soleus GPS watch, 15 Mar 2013
This review is from: Soleus GPS - All Black - (Watch)
Just what I need - easy to use - records pace, distance, calories, speed and time. I'm training for a marathon and this watch has been great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this watch!, 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: Soleus GPS - All Black - (Watch)
It does exactly what it is supposed to. Takes a little while to get it set up and learn how to navigate it but once you do it becomes a breeze. Highly reccomended!

4.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: Soleus GPS - All Black - (Watch)
I've used this product for just over two weeks and I love it. The only down side is you've to wait for about 2mins before the GPS kicks in but that doesn't border me

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Soleus GPS - All Black - (Watch)
First the delivery superb item received at the beginning of the estimated period. Just used the watch during the Lincoln 10k, first real test for it. I was very impressed out was easy to use, easy to set up and told more everything I needed to know. To be honest it would be good at twice the price. The only thing I would like would be able to get hold of the data transfer lead as the soleus web site says it is possible with the free software from them.

Soleus GPS - All Black -