5.0 out of 5 stars Great!
I didn't realise this was a short, although you wouldn't be able to tell without looking at the counter in the corner of the screen. It was a great story, a little hasty in telling, but a great addition to the series, and another great look into three different alien societies. I love it, though I wouldn't expect anything less from Bennett!
Published 11 days ago by Shaven Wookiee

1.0 out of 5 stars erm, please, save your money
Published on 7 Oct 2011 by chrisroz

1.0 out of 5 stars erm, please, save your money, 7 Oct 2011
This review is from: Star Trek: Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within (Kindle Edition)
OK, like most trekkies out there I'm a fan of the N/G....but please, i mean, I'm waiting for a great storyline to follow here with the exit of Enterprise and the destruction of S/T that Mr Abrahms has descended upon us......so when I read this, well I want to frankly give up totally. I downloaded it onto Kindle and within 1.5 hours I had read the whole story, there was no depth, the problem between the Women and Men of Talar was resolved within about 1 paragraph, please my novel writing friends, I waited months for this, are you serious ?

I couldn't talk to my own mother in 1 page and settle her down, never mind a whole planet

I was never a fan of the "typhon pack serial" had promise initially but went on a 180 degree decline from there....and this is frankly the worst of a bad bunch....and that's saying quite a lot.

Might only be 3GBP, but I would suggest, buy a pint of beer instead, you will get more happiness from it.

3.0 out of 5 stars There could have been much more, 16 July 2012
This book is like one of those episodes which takes 95% of the time building a story and then concludes it in the last 5% leaving you feeling robbed of a "Next Time on...".

Also little disappointing as both story lines within the book could have expanded so much more to offer a much more rounded conclusion. Not sure why Wolf is on the front cover as he is not really integral to the story, even Dr Crusher is not the most prominent character.

This is certainly the weakest of the Typhoon Pact Novels I have read so far, but certainly worth the read as it involves the Kinshaya who have been nothing but a mention in the previous books; it highlights the deviousness of the Tzenkethi and is a good character development for Lt's Choudhury and Chen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 17 July 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars its ok, 8 Feb 2014
This is ok, I've read the other Typhon pact books and they struggle to really get going. If you're reading the rest then get it, if not then I wouldn't bother

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting plot, rushed ending, 30 Aug 2013
I enjoyed the first two thirds of this book,it flowed nicely, the story was unfolding at a steady pace, then the author shot into overdrive and crammed what could have been a whole other book into the final third.

It's glaringly obvious in the last couple of chapters, particularly where character interactions are dispensed with entirely and replaced with an omni present narrator style summation - like the wrap ups at the end of those true story movies.

That's the bad out of the way, the plot was interesting, and there are great character development moments for Picard who is faced with having to disregard his morality to save his wife.

Cloudhurry receives a lot of attention here and we see her finally get to grips with losing her family, and how she gets there was well played out.

Not much action, as with the other typhon pact novels, it's more about the politics and manoeuvring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expanding the Typhon Pact., 29 July 2013
A welcome addition to the Typhon Pact Series. Compelling political situations played out in true Star Trek form. Revisiting an old loose end from an episode of TNG was a risk but it paid off. New characters were given centre stage for this story & given more depth then previously in other books. A brilliant story, I enjoyed reading it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 20 Feb 2013
Very short novella but a good story.
I look forward to reading the next books in the typhon pact series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle star trek, 20 Jan 2013
Great book I really enjoyed it. And it's a great shame that these characters are not subject to the rest of the next generation crew

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as satisfying as others in the genre., 14 Dec 2012
I found it a bit lumpy, the plot line was a good one but for me it did not flow, and I found myself having to back up and re read the past to see where I had misunderstood the world.
It did keep me interested, and I did finish it (unlike some MeToo's).

4.0 out of 5 stars Short and sweet, a nice TNG snack, 22 Feb 2012
This novella has two stories, which provide a pleasing symmetry as we see complementary tales from the Khitomer and Typhon sides of the political divide. One deals primarily with Picard, Crusher, and Worf, as the Enterprise is sent to visit the Talarians. The other features the newer TNG relaunch characters Jasminder Choudhury and T'Ryssa Chen, on a secret mission to deal with the Kinshaya. Also in the mix are Romulans, Breen, and Tzenkethi, leaving just the Gorn that don't make an appearance from the Typhon Pact species.

At novella length Bennett has tried to squeeze a lot of story in here, and so it sometimes feels a little fast - I imagine given the opportunity, this could have been expanded into a full novel. I am glad it wasn't though, as I really enjoyed the television episode pacing and structure; if TNG was suddenly renewed for TV, with the new novel characters added in, I could easily imagine this as an episode, working in the finest Star Trek tradition to explore very contemporary issues (the "Arab Spring", which both influenced, and is referenced to in this story) and the strength of the ideology of our Federation heroes, and the hope they give to those they touch.

I've been developing a new love for TNG since the recent post-Nemesis series really got going (Q&A onwards, I'm happy to forget Death in Winter and Resistance), and that continues here, with my two favourite new crew members, Choudhury and T'Ryssa, getting half the story to themselves. I particularly enjoy T'Ryssa's relationship with Picard, and was in stitches towards the end of story when the two share a scene. I found the humour that T'Ryssa in-particular brings to the new TNG crew especially valuable here, as a balance to the quite dark political struggles seen in this story.

I feel Bennett might be best known for his hard science take on Trek; there wasn't really a place for that in this story, but his usual humour, and skills in world building and character development shine as ever.

Star Trek: Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within