Colour Name: White (10-30mm and 30-110mm Twin Kit)|Change
Price:£212.99 - £410.00

on 29 January 2012
The Nikon J1 camera is very easy to use, even for a first time buyer of a camera that can be used more professionally if required.
At present it appears to be good value for money
on 20 June 2012
Bought this from amazon a week ago. Absolutely love the camera. It's really easy to use and produces stunning images.
This camera has been vilified by review sites just for having a smaller sensor. Sometimes by people who haven't even used it!

I don't care it's smaller sensor than aps c or even 4/3rds, it takes damn good images. Fair enough, the camera does have a tendency to slow the shutter speed indoors but I can get round that with manual control. Noise isn't as well controlled as aps c cameras but for what I need it's perfect! The noise grain looks more natural, more film like than many others also.

Do yourself a favour, don't write these cameras off based on people who haven't even held one; check them out!

Really well built and very compact, especially with the 10mm lens!!!
on 27 August 2012
I bought this for my wife who expressed an interest in photography. Her main descion for wanting this camera was because she wanted the white one.
I am a long standing Nikon user so I thought notwithstanding the fact the camera had to be white it must be pretty hood as all of the reviews I had read were reasonably positive.
The camera is quite small so if like me you have big hands this camera is a little awkward to use.
The menu and sub menu system is fine and settings are easy to access.
The 10-30 lens is nice and I like the function if switching the camera on when rotating the barrel, the images it produces are good, jpegs look natural but i usually shoot raw and this has the functionality to do so.
I have found the flash useful for close up stuff to infill the frame but limiting in rhat the range isn t so good, I am used to a hotshoe snd a best flash gun, so perhaps I am being unjust.
The construction is solid but I find it slippery to hold and now have the additional grip on order which should improve things.
I personally like a view finder and I would have
liked the option of one for this as in bright light it can be difficult to see the LCD screen.
Overall though I like the camera as in most situations it had performed admirably, I would recommend purchasing a uv filter to protect the lens the size is 40.5 mm I got mine from Premier ink supplies, it is a Kood one and was very reasonably priced, under a tenner, i also bought a neutral density filter , a circular polarising filter and finally I found a nice case to keep it in its a lowepro apex 60 aw it's just the right size to hold the camera with the lens attached.
on 27 April 2012
Ordered Nikon J1 red, with 10-30mm and 1=30-110mm lens kit, at 8pm Thursday evening. Arrived 1pm Friday as advised.

Great service delivery from City-Link (a smiley corier, what a difference a smile makes). Separate delivery of a memory card (yes I forgot to include on camera order), arrived via DPD delivery just as I was inserting charged battery 2 hrs later, again excellent delivery (cheery courier, what a change..twice in one day!).

Product all working, no damage en-route. And just thought I would share what a beautifully made product this is. Its a joy to handle. Makes just the right bridge between a snappy shot camera and something that I do remember using forty years ago.

Chose J1 rather than V1 as could not see benefit (for me that is) of an eyepiecve and a mechanical shutter. Right choice J1 works magically.

So now must wander off and use it in earnest.

Recommend the Nikon. Recommend Amazon, City-Link and DPD. Incredible who would have thought.

Enjoy - I will.............
on 4 November 2013
Was looking for a compact but everything under £100 was rubish. then i found this, its a bit bigger than a compact and has less MP than some but its a great camera! at at £103 with free shipping it was a absolute steel!!!
Its refurbished but you'd never know!!!
everything worked well out the box, all caps and covers included!

Pros:
Amazing video! (to good for my computer...)
Very sharp photos
very fast focusing
Very low shutter lag
Very stylish and sturdy design

Cons
Low light photos aren't amazing
flash shadows on close up photos
battery life is average to say the least
Quite bulky for a point and shoot kind of camera, but a lot smaller than a DSLR

Overall Love it!
on 17 January 2012
After waiting some time before buying myself a DSLR I thought the J1 was the perfect camera for me, compact, good looking and easy/quick to use. My first impressions weren't great as I took the camera body out of the box the metal casing seemed a little loose on the front causing it to bend and click if pressed. Not what I expected on a £450 camera. But I decided to put up with this only to find that even with the camera on full auto settings I struggle to achieve focused images on almost half of my shots. Now I am nowhere near being a pro photographer, but I have been using DSLR's at work and home for as long as they've been out and consider myself an avid point and click photographer, so was hoping that the Nikon 1 would allow me the ease of use paired with a superior image quality. When the camera does focus it takes a lovely photo, but it really struggles to capture people successfully whether in daylight, artificial light, action shots, posed shots, distance or close up! It's become extremely frustrating. Even using the best shot selector I am faced with the same focus issue.
I've lodged a query with Nikon to see if this is a firmware issue (oh, I am also unable to update the firmware, despite religiously following the instructions to the letter). But wonder if I have ended up with a faulty model or this is how it's supposed to be?
I haven't found anyone else with the same issue, so maybe I've just been unlucky. But I wanted to post this issue on here to see if anyone else has experienced this, and to comment on the casing which I feel is a poor show considering the cost.
1818 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Colour Name: Black (10-30mm Lens Kit)|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have to start by saying, that given how pricey this camera is, inclusion of memory card should be standard. So make sure you read the spec and order a compatible memory card at same time as ordering this camera, because if you don't have one already then you'll end up with a non working unit, until you get the memory card.

Apart from that, if you want a good variable zoom camera with professional results, but pretty much point and click functionality then you should consider this package seriously. Of course you could spend a lot less and get a reasonable compact zoom camera, but the advantage of this one is that you can also buy additional lenses for the sort of photography you want to do. So in a way, it's advantage is what you can buy in addition. In that respect it is a compact and digital version of the very big and complex camera kits people used to buy for film photography.

The camera is actually surprisingly weighty considering it's small size. It does feel very substantial and good quality as a result though. When putting the different parts together, you do get satisfying clicks when things are in place.

The inclusion of a wall socket rapid charger for the included battery is extremely useful

A multitude of functions and methods of taking photos are so varied & numerous, so check out the extensive spec and functionality to make sure you aren't buying something with more functions than you will ever need. My favourite added features include the continuous rapid image capture (which is great for motion photography) and also the very high quality video shooting.

Set up and transfer to various media and locations (eg your computer or Smart TV) is fast and easy.

The instructions are easy to follow. You can get going pretty soon after the battery is fully charged. You can take straightforward still images with the auto focus, adjustment default setting. They look great. Don't worry about wobbly hands either.

The flash is very neat indeed. It's quite a smart design feature the way it pops up, like a little periscope, and very very effective.
on 8 July 2013
Now a retired professional I spent many years humping Nikon gear all over the world and I was looking for something small to act as a 'notebook' and I found the J1 delivered on it's promises. My only reservation is that in bright light the screen can be difficult to see. Some sort of optional pop up 'screen shade' would be useful
on 16 August 2012
This camera is brilliant, so easy to use and the lenses are perfect...last camera was panasonic so first time used nikon...son in law has same camera and after seeing what it can do especially the multi shot facility it convinced me to buy one and the two lens deal was perfect.
on 10 April 2014
I wholeheartedly support the very positive reviews posted here. Positions itself halfway between a good compact and a medium expense digital SLR. I bought this because I hoped it would incorporate the usual Nikon quality and engineering and I wasn't disappointed. Still haven't got my head around how to make the most of its many functions but have got some great photos from just pointing and shooting. Small enough to shove inside my jacket or a large pocket if it is wet.
I am long-sighted and old fashioned so personally I have found that I don't like not having a viewfinder. I also find holding the camera steady while using the back screen can lead to wobble, which happened less in the olden days when I used a mechanical SLR with a viewfinder ('cos it was shoved against my face in a more stable position).
Expensive at nearly £500 (although its replacement the J3 is £730!) so you might want to go for a low/medium end digital instead (Nikon D3100, 3200, 3300 are approx £300, £400, £500) but they are bigger, more complicated and less point and shoot (and without the extra lens). I've no regrets and consider it a good buy, just need to get out and use it now a modicum of good weather has arrived.