5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent 'small' camera
Published on 8 Feb. 2012 by bear66

3.0 out of 5 stars Viewfinder problem
I purchased the camera on June 5th, 2012. I have returned it to the supplier for a refund.

Published on 11 July 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent 'small' camera, 8 Feb. 2012
Having had SLRs and DSLRs for the last 40 years, (D300 currently) I was looking for something smaller for hiking and informal use. I'd settled on a P7100 as a quality P&S that I could print at least A4 prints from . . . and then the V1 came out! The larger sensor size, similar size and weight pushed me in the V1 direction and the FT1 adapter (to take my other Nikon lenses) convinced me. (I haven't received the FT1 yet but I see it as a much better quality alternative for bird digiscoping). The results so far have been very good; the general speed, autofocus and colour balance is excellent. There is some noise that you'd expect to see from the smaller sensor but it's not 'nasty' noise and the prints I've made are much better than I expected. The menu interface is a bit 'messy' compared with dials but no worse than my old F70 (disliked by all reviewers for that reason at the time but something I quickly got used to). Novices (the apparent target market) may take some getting used to it and 'experts' find the degree of control slightly limiting (I'd have liked auto stepped exposure for HDR photography for instance) but it is a nice package. The 10-30 is good and the 30-110 is even better. The falling price has made it more attractive and with Nikon UK having a cashback offer at the moment. There are cheaper alternatives but this is just what I've been looking for to supplement a DSLR.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nikon V1 Review, 20 May 2012
I bought this camera as a walk about camera, to use instead of lugging my D700 about. I quickly found I was using far more than the larger camera because of its convenient size and its superb image quality.
When the camera was first released I read some reviews slating its small sensor and quickly dismissed it as a camera for me, however, I saw it in a shop and liked its solid, quality feel. Now I have used it for a while I can say the sensor size doesn't hold it back, the images are superb.
If I shoot in RAW, the camera produces image quality almost as good as my D700 - even up to ISO 3200, the Jpeg's are not quite so good. The camera gives a nice film like quality to its images so I am happy to use it at higher ISO's.
The main advantage the D700 has over the V1 is control over settings and ability to set the camera up exactly the way I like it, as well as responsiveness; the V1 takes a second or 2 between single shots before it allows you to take another shot which can sometimes be a little frustrating.
The lenses are good quality, in hindsight I wouldn't have bothered with the 30-110 because I hardly use it and I could have saved a little money. The 10-30 produces great images that are a little soft in the corners if you look closely. The 30-110 is good for portraits because it blows out the backgrounds. Bokeh on both lenses is pretty good, although, slightly better on the 30-110.
The view finder gives a bright and quite large image, however, I still prefer an optical viewfinder; the main reason being the time it takes to change brightness to match the scene and the quality of the image does not match the screen on the back. I Like to shoot in Manual mode with my D700, but it doesn't work very well with the V1, the light meter appears to take a reading from the viewfinder image rather than the scene and it doesn't seem to work very well. The camera gives very accurate exposure and colour balance if left to Program, Aperture or Shutter priority modes so I leave it one one of these 3.
I have noticed the camera becomes quite warm in use, it doesn't seem to affect the performance though.
Despite one or two minor idiosyncrasies, this is a great camera that is fun to use with a very pleasing mechanical shutter noise/feel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the hype..., 13 April 2013
When this camera first came out it was around £1000 with the kit lens a number of reviewers both on photo websites and on here gave it really poor reviews. They highlighted issues with the sensor size, handling and the lenses. I suspect that they were comparing it to high end DSLRs that were about the same price point and on that basis I understand the criticism - this is not a top of the line DSLR.

Fast forward twelve months and the V1 is now selling for £250 with the kit lens, at this price it is the bargain of the year. Firstly the AF system is lightning fast, as good as any DSLR I have used, it rarely hunts and has some really useful features such as the focus tracking which again is as good as any DSLR I have used and keeps any moving subject bang in focus.

Also the image quality is fantastic, yes it only has 10m pixels but as they say it is not about size but what you do with it that counts and my pictures are super sharp. Although you start to see noise creep in above ISO 800 it is well controlled and pictures are still useable right up to ISO 3200 at A4 size. I would also say that any noise that you do get almost has a quality like you used to get with grain on fast films and is actually very pleasing.

Next I will mention the build quality, this has a magnesium shell and chassis, it feels solidly built and all the controls and switches have a quality feel to them, if it was built to be a £1000 camera it shows in this area.

Other things I like are the small size, not just the camera body but also the lenses and low weight - much easier to carry than a full size DSLR and also way the zoom lenses lock and turn the camera off. If you already have Nikon lenses then you can also buy a (quite pricey) adapter to use them with this camera although only the more modern AF-S lenses give you full autofocus and metering.

What I would say is that the layout of the camera may seem flawed with some commonly used controls hidden in the menus rather than having dedicated buttons, if you are the type of person who is constantly changing the camera settings you will find it frustrating but if like me you are happy to set up the camera and then snap away then you might actually appreciate the minimalist styling. I use it much like I used to use my first film SLR - Aperture Priority mode, Center Weighted metering and just change the Aperture using the up/down switch not unlike the Pentax ME Super used to be.

I have since bought a 30-110 zoom to give me the full range from 27-300mm focal lengths and it has become my everyday camera, so much so I sold my Nikon DSLR.

If you are considering a top end compact or moving up from a basic point and shoot then give this some serious consideration and see past some of the negative reviews this camera received when it was launched. In particular have a look at some of the clips on Youtube from TheSnapChick and ThatNikonGuy who give it a fair assessment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like coming home to film, 6 July 2012
M. Harrison "Hamish" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
My six year old DSLR was due for an update; and so was my camcorder. It was clear the next camera would need to combine high quality stills with digital video. But the big question was whether I should go for a new full sized DSLR, or one of the growing number of high-end compacts. The attraction of the latter was price and portability - and also of having a less attention-seeking camera.

I work in TV, and attended a trade show where I saw the new Nikon J1 and V1. It was love at first sight. I went for the V1 because of its viewfinder, and because the accessories Nikon claimed to have in development seemed more geared to the V1.

Like any new romance, however, there are some things about the relationship that take a bit of getting used to. So here are all the tricky things first:

1. `On' has many meanings. There is an on/off button, there is a shutter release button, there is a video-on button, and the camera is also activated by twisting the lens to shoot mode. But the on/off switch switches off after just 3 minutes; and the permutations of which button trumps which if you just reach for your camera to take a quick shot can drive you mad.

2. It's not a DSLR. This means the viewfinder shows`through the lens' but does not use a mirror to show you exactly what the camera sees. The result is an electronic image of surprisingly poor quality. This is fine for focus but does not represent colour or exposure with any accuracy whatsoever. Happily what you get is always better than what you see.

3. It's really not a DSLR. And this of course means it is very light. Getting a steady holding position for shooting video is challenging.

4. The printed manual is rubbish. Initially I panicked that the camera did few of the things I would have expected, since the manual was skimpy in the extreme. But then I loaded the accompanying CD where I found the real manual, and, phew, there I found the full instructions on how to customize the settings.

5. It makes you blind. One of the great strengths of the V1 is the astonishing responsiveness of its shutter, focus and exposure. So on full depress of the shutter release, bang bang bang - you will have several frames of action frozen, focused and exposed perfectly, with zero delay. Trouble is, the moment you release the shutter the viewfinder freezes for three or four seconds before being ready to shoot again.

6. A Mac computer categorises the V1 much like an iPhone. If you are a Mac user, as I am, it feels odd that iMovie does not recognize the V1 as an import source. Instead you import into iPhoto, as you would an iPhone, and the video sits there among the stills. Once in iMovie, there is the ability to access all video that's within iPhoto, so importing to the iMovie timeline for editing is simple enough.

7. There's video and there's vi-d-d-de-o-o. The V1 has three video shooting modes: 720/60p; 1080/30p; and 1080/60i. I found playback to be appalling in some modes, with huge and unpredictable judder. So I actually ran my own camera test to work out which mode was best. The answer - for a Mac at least - is 1080/30p. Even that isn't completely perfect, but when you take it into the timeline of iMovie there is the option to transcode, and at this point it is perfectly smoothed out. (Note: some online alarmists claim you need separate transcode software for taking the V1 video into a Mac: you don't.)

8. You can shoot video in the stills mode and stills in the video mode. Great? Not great! The camera let's you do this - but the settings wont be the ones you have set for the `proper' mode. So, for example, if you press the video shoot button while the stills mode is selected, the camera shoots video - but in 720/60p, even though you have it set to 1080/30p for `proper' video mode. Similarly, if you hit the stills shutter release while the camera is selected to video, you won't get the focus and exposure modes you selected in `proper' stills mode.

So, all sounds pretty annoying doesn't it? Well there's no doubt having a video and stills camera in one compact form throws up some usability challenges. But in the end there is only one thing that really matters: the quality of the images. And these are gorgeous. It produces beautifully, almost strangely, filmic images, with soft skin tones and smooth textured colours that make it hard to believe they came from video technology. Without me making any comment, my wife immediately spotted the point in iPhoto where the images ceased to be from my trusty old Nikon DSLR, and were now from the V1. She loved the change.

It's also hard to overstate the staggering ability of this camera to capture action. If you set the V1 to aperture priority (which fixes the aperture and allows the camera to select the fastest available shutter speed), and shoot a small child hurtling down a slide, the camera will fire off several frames - all with the action frozen, focused, and exposed perfectly. Quite how the camera processes that quickly I just cant imagine.

It's important to get into the settings to make the camera work as you like it to. But this is easy to do - once you have read the full instructions - and it has all the options you need to enable you to take great pictures with maximum control. Indeed, this is firmly not a point-and-shoot camera - it's designed for real photography.

And if you are old enough to have shot photos and movies on film, you'll feel like you've come back home.

3.0 out of 5 stars Viewfinder problem, 11 July 2012

The lcd monitor screen stopped working properly. Specifically the electronic viewfinder was 'on' all the time, i.e. even when my eye was not to the viewfinder, so that there was nothing on the lcd screen. This also applied in menu mode, etc. I subsequently discovered (via Nikonians and dpreview.com)that this is a known issue with the camera. The suggested fixes did not work for my camera.

I am submitting this review because I feel that other prospective purchasers should be warned and given the opportunity to research this issue. I am emphatically NOT recommending that you should not buy this camera. I own 'professional' Nikon DSLRs and lenses and have always been delighted with Nikon equipment. In fact, having researched again alternative compact system cameras, it is very likely that I will buy another Nikon 1 V1 in the near future.

My other reason for submitting this review is to note that the service from Buyacamera UK - from whom I bought the camera via Amazon - has been excellent. Contacting them a month after purchase, they have given me a full refund immediately (and collected the camera at their expense).

5.0 out of 5 stars Smaller and just as good as my old D40 - Amazing Autofocus, 31 July 2012
After much deliberation I have just upgraded from a Nikon D40 with 18-200 VR to the V1 - my D40 has now been sold. Why?

1. The V1 is much smaller, pulling out a DLSR at a party or dinner table really isn't going to get the best out of your subjects. It's also alot less to lug around and is just about coat pocketable with the 10mm pancake fitted. I didn't like going to music festivals with a DSLR, so the DSLR ended up staying at home.
2. It's the only camera (as far as I'm aware) of this class that incorporates phase detection autofocus - I have tested it and I had no problems whatsoever - action shots or stationary - miles better than my old D40. Because the autofocus locks on quickly you can get the shot that you wanted. Even works well in low light with the 10mm pancake.
3. Nikon 1 Lenses are alot cheaper than Nikon DX lenses - and personally I think they're just as good (I'm just really hoping for a 50mm equivalent prime to come out!)
4. The Electronic viewfinder is very good, I find it just as good as a pentaprism.
5. Mechanical shutter (v1 only, not J1) - this camera is fast and you can feel the shutter actuating with a reassuring 'thud' - this helps me to feel confident that I got the shot.
6. Metering is very good - I never had to adjust the exposure in any of my shots.
7. Menu system is very quick and easy - I find it almost as quick as changing settings as I did on my D40. I don't miss the additional buttons.

In my opinion just ignore the iso performance, the point is that at least your shots will be in focus due to the V1's ace autofocusing! Better to have useable shots than blurry ones. This is advanced 'point and shoot' at its best, and I think it's the way forward. I've now ordered additional Nikon 1 Lenses as I like the Nikon 1 range and can see myself sticking with it.

Just imagine how good the follow up to the V1 will be!

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, 11 Dec. 2011
I'm always looking for a small, good quality interchangeable lens camera to use while walking. I have done three long distance walks recently and love to combine this with a passion for photography.

The Nikon v1 Is intriguing. Some say it is too large for its sensor size. I disagree. I have large hands and would struggle with anything smaller. What are small are the lenses and this is where the v1 wins hands down over other mirrorless cameras. The 30-110mm warrants particular mention. It is much smaller than the comparable lens offerings from Panasonic, Sony, Olympus, etc.

I used it for the first time on a walk in the Peak District. The v1 and 10-30mm fitted into a pocket in my jacket and was easy to get out and take photographs quickly. I have previously had to use a specific camera bag for my camera, fitted to a belt or on a strap, which meant it took longer to take shots. Watch out for the small lens cap and also the accessory cover; both can come off if you're not careful. I'm already considering taping over the accessory cover, if not it WILL get lost!

What about image quality? Well initially I am impressed. Focus is quick and accurate, the dynamic range is good, particularly using d-lighting and exposure was spot on. I often use bracketing with my photography and miss this option on the v1 but exposure compensation was only a button press away. It was certainly needed as we had snow covering the higher areas of the Peaks.

I intend to get the mount adapter to use with my other Nikon lenses and hope this will open up some interesting possibilities with long telephoto work.

I have limited experience with the video functions but the slow motion is going to be a very interesting option. All in all this is a great little camera. There will be detractors, but what you have to do is consider this as a new format. If you expect it to be a mini dSLR you will be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon 1 V1 - Nikon they are on to something!, 11 Jun. 2012
Paul "griffo155" (Biggin Hill, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Of all the compact system cameras this Nikon V1 is worth a very serious consideration.
This is an ideal go-to camera when you are going on photo walk about, holiday or off to a function when you dont want a bulky DLSR.
The quality of results from the camera are nothing short of superb. Great detail is produced straight from the camera and what is more produces stunning A3 prints!
To have the ability to make a movie and take images at the same time is unique and a very useful tool to have.
And here is the secret of this camera - By buying the FT-1 adapter it will allow you to use your Nikon lenses (F mount - Dx and Fx) if you have some, with this camera!
Ignore the negative comments of the crop factor sensor being at 2.7 in the Nikon V1 - compared to other compact system cameras such as the Sony Nex series - the sensor gets all the detail you will need, with great natural colours and it has a viewfinder! In my opinion a very important feature overlooked by many compact system manufacturers. When you have a screen only camera you just cant see the image on a bright sunny day! Believe me I've been there...
I have used both (Nex3 and Nikon V1 ) now and would buy the Nikon 1 V1 version every time over the Sony or other compact system cameras.
Build quality, lens quality and the amazing back of additional lenses is nothing short of stunning as you would expect with a quality camera manufacturer...

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 8 May 2013
After hours of debating which camera to buy, I impulse bought a V1 without much consideration, due to the amazingly low price as of April 2013. The camera is great for photography amateurs like me, as it is basically just a top of the range point-and-shoot, meaning you get great quality photos with virtually every shot.
No flash? No problem! But then again I haven't been trying to take pictures at night, so maybe it's just suited to my needs.
The camera also offers the usual detailed photographic controls, which are easily accessible, although take time to actually set, as it all is done via the menu (no buttons for them), and other cool features such as slow motion.
HD video is pleasant, and acceptable for amateur filming, but it's marginally less attractive than the likes of the DSLRs, but at this price, I am not complaining!
Would recommend for anyone looking for portability and ease of shooting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A steal at the current price, 10 Feb. 2013
Pat (Mid Wales) - See all my reviews
Whilst intrigued at the speed and rapid focus of the V1, I was less impressed at the launch price which placed it amongst some very strong competition. However, the dramatic price reductions of late meant that it was worth a shot and I have been suitably impressed at the performance of this very well made, and presented camera. It is stunningly fast to focus and the electronic shutter bursts at high speed are astonishing.

I have the standard 10-30mm lens and, despite some early reports which suggested softness at the edges, I have been very pleased at the sharpness and colour quality. It is a fun camera, solidly built with an excellent battery life, and having just bought the truly superb 30-110mm lens I can honestly say that my initial misgivings have been blown away.

I don't think that it was ever worth the original price but this camera (and its range of lenses) is now staggering value for money and I am delighted at its usability, compact size (very solid build so not particularly light for its size) and excellent picture colour and quality. Not so keen on the mode wheel which moves too readily and should have PASM functions but overall impressed with the video capabilities including slow motion and the interval timer which lets you take photos at set times and produces some excellent photo series.

Good bit of kit which I really enjoy using.