5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent 'small' camera
Having had SLRs and DSLRs for the last 40 years, (D300 currently) I was looking for something smaller for hiking and informal use. I'd settled on a P7100 as a quality P&S that I could print at least A4 prints from . . . and then the V1 came out! The larger sensor size, similar size and weight pushed me in the V1 direction and the FT1 adapter (to take my other Nikon...
Published on 8 Feb 2012 by bear66

3.0 out of 5 stars Viewfinder problem
I purchased the camera on June 5th, 2012. I have returned it to the supplier for a refund.

The lcd monitor screen stopped working properly. Specifically the electronic viewfinder was 'on' all the time, i.e. even when my eye was not to the viewfinder, so that there was nothing on the lcd screen. This also applied in menu mode, etc. I subsequently discovered (via...
Published on 11 July 2012 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost a 5 star, 6 Aug 2013
This is a great product, the camera feels good and is easy to use straight from the box with no real need to look at instructions, it feels a great weight and instills confidence and power, you'll feel like you have a very professional camera, on the flip side the more you use it the more you notice the doesn't haves and why it's reduced in price and no longer being manufactured being replaced with it's big brother the V2, for the £300 price tag this is a great camera though annoying that all the special dual lense kits in white appear to be higher priced than the black's, I have a Canon 5mp camera that was around the same price 5 odd years ago and in comparison the camera with the 10-30 lense is not all that different in capability though the focus is better and the area that fits in the picture from the same point is a good 5 degrees more in all directions ), and the pictures substantially greater in pixels (not unsurprising as well 5 years of advancement, as the Canon is old it's not an easy comaprisson but does give you a point of reference, this camera does not knock my socks off as it where I think at £300 it is a reasonably priced camera, especially when you consider in order to do all the things my instant can do you need to invest another £150 for a flash unit as it doesn't come with one, also the lenses provided do not electronically zoom, this is a manual task (again to be fair I actually prefer the manual zoom as you can do this a lot faster and the camera focuses very quickly), as to all the additional capabilities ie the settings, well that requires some detailed reading and understanding, it seems like a very capable camera and it is great that you can attach various lenses to it and accesories, the fast multi pic with best shot and choice of 4 others is a gimic thing but one that makes the camera exceptional over ok, one that would have me rating at a 5 when I start tryign to capture expressions etc of our new baby, for now I can't see the advantage as position and lense angle are the reasons I get a good shot, not speed of taking the shot.

the lense itself detaches from the body easily and has a fair weight to it, the body is lighter than the lense but still has a reassuring weight to it, the build feels solid and well made, for the price we paid it is a great camera, for the price it started at I think you would have been crazy to buy it, scored a 4ish over a 5 simply because of the additional cost to buy the flash unit limited to the option of 2 (only 1 if you want it white) that are available(thats the flash not the camera).

4.0 out of 5 stars Love -Hate relationship, 4 July 2013
So much good but some things bad -owned this for several months now and have a range of lenses. Love the electronic shutter fast and silent. Love the viewfinder, needs a better grip but you can buy those. Takes nice movies in good light.

The Good:
Battery -easy and cheap and long lasting
Focus in good light very good including continuous
Exposure is very accurate -nearly always gets it right without your help!
Shot to shot very fast
Adaptor for some non 1 system lenses but not all function fully .

The Bad:
Low light performance is below M43 cameras (I have a few of those also) focus much slower and more noise, I get lots out of focus manual focus is challenging with these as no focus ring on lens!
No built in flash -and non standard hot shoe! -my GX1 has one and is no bigger but has a bigger sensor as well.

Overall for the money about £230 -not much gets close to the V1 but at original price this was never going to compete in this crowded marked place! With the 18.5mm it is sweet -needs more fast lenses - but the new 32 mm F1.2 while ideal is just far too expensive and I will not go there for this camera!

2.0 out of 5 stars What I really disliked about the Nikon was the small button on the lens, 16 April 2013
This review is from: Nikon 1 V1 Compact System Camera - Black (10-30mm Lens , 10MP) 3 inch LCD Screen (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I have decided to rewrite my review with a much lower star rating. However I am still tempted to buy this camera as it is available at such a good price [£239.99 You Save: £640.00 (73%)]- in white - which looks fantastic!

Since I bought this camera, I have given it to my son and I have bought Sony Alpha A58 Translucent Mirror Interchangeable Lens Camera with 18-55mm Lens (20MP) £315.99. I bought the Sony because it has a higher pixel count. I believe it takes better pictures and it certainly takes better movies. I decided that I was more interested in what the camera could do, than the size of the camera. I don't think that the Sony lens is as good. The Sony's software for downloading pictures is much better. I accidently deleted a lot of pictures that I took with the Nikon which I was fortunately able to recover with the software that came with my Sans Disk SD card SanDisk 32GB 45MB/s Extreme HD Video SDHC Card

What I really disliked about the Nikon was the small button on the lens which is a still a feature of this camera in its much more expensive form Nikon 1 V2 Compact System Camera with 10-30mm Lens Kit - Black (14.2MP) 3 inch LCD

I made the silly error of not pressing the button hard enough when trying to retract the lens after shooting. You might think this is a silly mistake, but it is quite easy to make. You have to continually press this button as you make a circular motion to close down the lens and reduce it in size. It is quite easy for your finger pressure on the button to reduce. You then find that the lens will not retract fully - because you are not pressing hard enough on the button.

I was then tempted to force the mechanism - very silly!

I feel slightly embarrassed having made this mistake which might void my warranty. I don't know if I did any real damage. But I feel it is a design fault because I am sure that I am not alone.

+++++++++++++++++++

Viewfinder + different types of shots (Five Star)

I have just come back from Tenerife after using this camera for the first time. What I particularly liked about this camera was that I could use the viewfinder without any glasses. With my previous camera (Casio Exilim EX-H5 Digital Camera - Black (12.1MP, 10x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD) I had some poor photos where I had not been able to focus properly without my spectacles on.

Another bonus; is that you can see what your settings are when using the viewfinder. It is comparatively easy to select the wrong photo type.

On the train home, I handed my partner the camera and asked her to take a photo of me. Every time she pressed the button, she moved the camera and consequently the images of me were blurred. However on the 'best of' setting, the camera takes a series of shots in close succession, and you can select the 'best picture'. That seemed to solve the problem.

There is another special photo mode in which you can take of photo that lasts for a few seconds - not exactly a 'still' photo. In Santa Cruz over Easter, I was able to take photos of the procession, and show someone holding a standard, with it fluttering slightly.

"No Flash": So far, I have not found this to be a problem. Having an electronic viewfinder makes it easy to take shots at very low light levels and very high light levels. I dare say that the lens has something to do with taking good photos at low light levels.

One of the advantages of this camera is that it is largely automatic. I have had a look at the menu system - which is simple compared to my Casio Watch and Casio Camera. I bought a (SanDisk 16GB 45MB/s Extreme SDHC Card) and at the end of the holiday I had 3.47 GB free of 14.8 GB. I took about 600 photos including some short movies photos. I have just been looking at my pictures of a man, painted in gold, pretending to be a statue.

I was a bit worried that I might run out of memory. So if the price is right, I will by a bigger memory card for HD movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Versitile and quality product. now at a more realistic price., 25 Feb 2013
Still getting used to it, but very impressed so far! I would recommend this camera to anyone considering the Nikon range.

3.0 out of 5 stars nikon v1 and j1, 28 Oct 2012
Paul Moloney (Hertfordshire England) - See all my reviews
When the J2 came out and the Nikon cash back offer was still running I thought it was probably a good time to get a J1 for the wife with a virtually free 10 mm lens and a V1 for me with the double zoom lens kit. This coincided with the prospect of getting a dog and an instant need for good quality movies and good pictures.I had been struggling for about 3 years with a camera choice and particularly a digital replacement for my Nikon film cameras. I really wanted a full frame FX but they were big and expensive even second hand, did not readily fit with say holiday use and most secondhand decent cameras were DX. Unfortunately for me I bought a Panasonic TZ3 about 3 years ago and it was difficult to justify the expense of a Boy's camera proper version as the Panasonic, in wife terms, did everything except zoomable movie mode and the shutter lag was annoying for subjects which were moving. The picture that was taken was noticeably different to the one you started with. I was pleased with the general look and feel of both cameras and loved having a viewfinder again in the V2 but I found that the JPEGS with the V1 were not that much better than the old Panasonic. The RAW pictures were better but they should be and I had doubts about the modest size of the sensor and the format. The killer for me was the plastic cover for the accessories port. This fell off all the time and was a really rubbish feature for a camera which is not cheap and well made otherwise. When it fully dawned on me that I would not be able to use my collection of Nikon flashlights on it even if I invested in the Nikon 1 adapter and the only lens that work with it and have autofocus are silent wave, I just thought it was a mickey take too far. Nikon taking the mickey out of professionals users is naughty but understandable. However it is not good in the more competitive consumer market. The cameras accordingly went back and I got a Nikon 800e. Unfortunately Amazon were only doing the 800. For the wife I got a Panasonic TZ30 from Amazon which has good movie mode, much reduced shutter lag and takes good JPEGs and is very considerably cheaper.
Summary: I liked the 10mm lens, it was very good. I am hoping that the V2 sorts out the problems of the V1 as it was a nice little camera basically and probably quite good for people who have the more recent consumer Nikons with comparatively cheap DX silent wave lens.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sharp, but blunt, 29 Oct 2013
Yes, it's white. Of course, it was cheaper than the black one. And I wanted the 10mm (= 28mm in normal speak) prime lens, which is excellent. It's neat, stylish (in black, anyway) and has clever video features. So why am I not in love? Because it's too far 'out there' to be easy to operate, if you know how to use a camera. And the 1" sensor, though by no means bad, doesn't cut it for picture detail against the bigger opposition. So, if this is your first modern camera, say, and the price is low, well, why not? Because the Canon EOS M is great value too right now, and IMHO is a far better and more modern package with a full APS C sensor and touch screen control. Get that instead for £350 or so with useful zoom, or stump up less than £500 for the new Fuji XA-1, also with an APS C sensor and useful zoom. This is a nice try, but both of those cameras, and others, are better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent at Correct Price, 27 Oct 2013
Excellent Camera now that it is at the price it should have been at all along. The high burst rate capability and 5 photo shot maand Only the lack of on board flash now needs to be addressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon 1 V1, 20 Oct 2013
This camera was bought as a gift as I have one already and am very pleased with it. I am glad to say, the recipient is also delighted with this camera as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Have I got the faulty one?, 25 May 2012
Having recived my camera, I was delighted, but a few days in and suddenly I had a broad pink strip all down the view finder, followed a day or so later, by a broad pink strip all down my photos. Have I got a faulty camera? I don't know, but it is on its way back to Amazon now!

3.0 out of 5 stars I no longer have this camera.........., 13 Dec 2013
Nemis "David" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This camera took nice(not great) photos and nice video but to take low light indoors it needed a flash and to get better shots indoors a faster lens.Then it would be better with a longer lens and then a zoom lens for video and a proper video light etc.etc ...I sold it and got another Dslr camera.This was much more fun.

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›