on 4 August 2013
Only just got this, mainly to charge up a gopro battery, but thought I would charge up my iphone5 as was about to go out and no time to plug into mains charger, as it does not come supplied with the latest type (lighting connector) I took the iphone lead with me and plugged it in... great its charging... two minutes later the charging stops and you get the yellow warning triangle displaying on the iphone5 that this is not a compatible charger and so will not charge your iphone5 despite the product claiming to charge it.

Update: After writing this review I was contacted by Anker who were most concerned about this not working with the iPhone 5, to cut a long story short this product now gets FIVE stars and the same for the Anker support via email, there is sometimes a slight delay in getting a reply due to the times zone but it was sorted out and Anker sent me a replacement unit via Amazon.
I plugged it in to a half charged unit and no more warning from the iphone, charged up the iphone which was on 67% to 100% in no time at all, can not recommend this company and support highly enough, if only all support was like this... they also told me no need to return the old unit so keeping that as it works on the Gopro hero 3.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 8 September 2014
We are all carrying more and more devices with us and batteries do seem to run out at the worst of moments. Some companies even charge massively for backup batteries and even then those batteries will only work with the device they are brought for.

I have found the Anker Astro 5600mAh power pack to be a life safer of many occasions. I do not find it heavy and it's nicely sized so i keep it in my pocket when i go out. Often on a busy day my iPhone will run out of battery, or my camcorder when i really want to film something. This is not a problem anymore since i am able to charge on the go.

Surprisingly the battery charges devices very quickly, but once the Anker battery needs recharging itself it can take a while. I suggest charging the Anker battery over night, that way you are guaranteed full charge for the day ahead. You can use this battery to supply power to anything that uses USB to charge, simply by plugging the usb cable into the battery, and then connecting your device to the same cable. Pressing a button then activates the charging process.

You also have use of a torch that's built into the device. This is very useful if you even need a torch on your journeys. I highly recommend this product to pretty much anyone. You never know when you'll need more power while outside and this gives it to you.
on 12 April 2015
This Anker 2nd Gen Astro 6400mAh portable external battery charger is a really solid piece of technology. The build standard is robust and it is very compact in size and fits within all my backpack compartments with minimal weight burden (approx 130g with cables). The rubberised finish of case is great and not only provides a bit of luxury but does not attract fingerprints or dirt. It comes with a nice draw string type partly padded nylon carry bag that provides additional protection. The device came with 80% charge and took 30 to 40 mins to fully charge with a 2A USB wall charger (the device does not come with a wall charger but come with a micro USB charging cable that can be plugged into the USB port of a laptop/desktop or any other USB wall chargers that come with phones or tablets. Alternatively USB wall plugs can be bought on Amazon or most other places for under £10. With a standard Iphone 1A USB wall charger (or when charging from a laptop USB port) you can double the charge time but with chargers that typically come with new Ipads (2 to 2.4A) you will get maximum speed charging. The device is smart and will not allow overcharging if more than a 2A charger is used.
Have charged my Iphone 6 twice now with the Anker portable battery and still have 30% charge. I will probably get another charge or so for my Iphone 6. I also used the battery to test charge an Ipad Air and got 60% charge on the Ipad after fully draining the Anker. This seems about right since the Ipad Air has an 8600mAh battery. The device shows, in 10% increments, the charge status with a circular series of LEDs (this is activated by lightly shaking the device – it may have an accelerometer on board to sense the motion). Charge times for both Iphone 6 and Ipad have been very fast so the output current seems to be maximised for each separate device that is connected to the Anker IQ port. Using the Anker the charge times for both Iphone 6 and Ipad Air are just as fast as with charging using the wall chargers that came with both Iphone and Ipad Air.
The battery has so far kept its charge well after approximately 20 cycles. I have not noticed any dropped off in capacity. With a little bit of testing it seems to be quite an efficient device with after losses in cables, circuitry etc around 5500mhA is ultimately available.
Overall an excellent charger so far and being very portable can be used for personal or business use. I plan to take this on holiday in July as a backup for phone and Ipad in foreign airports where charge points may not be readily available.
on 13 March 2015
I have purchased that item just a few weeks ago. It does do anything it says. The only thing that I find a little annoying is that while inside it pouch sometimes it does shows thebattery life and carries on to work even if its not connected to a device. It will be perfect if it had an on off switch instead. Probably by the side where you connect to mains in order to reserve the battery instead of allowing it work when you do not want it to. If it had that it will have been a perfect product. I bought many items from anker and they are all excellent quality and great customer service and therefore I highly recommend their products.
on 16 January 2013
Very good product, quality made and clear instructions. Useful additional to carry around to boost the charge on my two mobile phones as well as my Kindle Fire HD when on the go.
on 6 March 2015
I almost want to say that this little device has changed my life! I have an iPhone 4s, I love it but as we all know iPhones are not known for their battery strength. This phone is now fairly old and well used which certainly doesn't help. I normally charge my phone before I go to bed, then sometimes I top it up again in the morning but if I use it a bit (and by a bit I really don't mean that much) then it quickly drops and I start to be aware of trying not to use it in case someone calls. Recently I've had a lot more phone calls and this has made it worse, I'd be trying to plug the phone in for ten minutes here and there when I could to try and get me through the day without my phone dying.

So then I thought about buying one of these. It's wonderful! It's quick to charge and has lights to indicate how charged it is, and it charges my phone quite quickly too. I can plug it in and still easily use the phone too. It has made such a difference as I'm not now planning my day around having time to top up my phones charge and the stress around all of that has gone. The customer service has been great too, not that I've needed to contact Anker but they have sent me a couple of emails with hints and ways to contact them if needed which is unusual and appreciated (not too many emails either so don't worry about being spammed by them!). I'd really recommend this and love how long it keeps charge so if I don't use it for a bit I don't have to worry about it being empty, and as it can do multiple charges I don't have to keep remembering to charge it up either.
on 6 September 2014
DISCLAIMER: I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation. Nonetheless, my review is fair and all words I'm writing express my honest opinion.
----------------------------------------------

I have already bought many products from Anker and every single time there's always a common thought that comes to my mind: Look at this package! So nice and well thought!

From the box and the booklets, to the product itself and any of its extras, everything has its own design and one can see Anker not only thought about the tech side of it but also about how to present it to the customer. Moreover, the the product is also made of very good quality and it's placed at a great price.

After full charging it I've used already a couple of times and there's still juice for a couple more. One of them was to charge my dead iPhone 5S from 0 to 100%. It took approximately 2h30 hours but I had some apps running in the background and was using it from time to time.

The on/off is activated automatically when you connect a device to the charger which is great. Instructions say I need to shake to charge but in truth I only needed to connect my device into it. The charge indicator is really nicely embedded into the product and the orange light goes well with the shinny white charger. Nonetheless, I would've liked to have a way of shutting it down to avoid waking up by just shaking it. Switching it on by mistake don't consume too much power, but it still lights it up.

Power IQ is awesome as it automatically adjusts the speed of charging to your device.

Another of its cool features is the size and weight. I have an Astro E4 13000mAh which is great for long trips (more power, 2 charging ports, etc.) but a bit heavy for a daily use. This one, Anker® 2nd Gen Astro 6400mAh, is great for carrying in my laptop's backpack for a day-to-day use. It should also work pretty well on your longer trips but you can have only one device being charged at each time.

The charger comes with a micro USB cable to charge the Anker. You should use your own devices cables to when charging the device (or use the MicroUSB if not being used).

In summary, it's a really nice product that I totally recommend. I was trying to find major issues with it, but I couldn't.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 31 August 2014
Although there are plenty of other companies making external power banks / chargers (call them what you will), Anker are the market leaders in my opinion. Their products just ooze quality and their customer service is second to none.

Anker have had a range of external batteries out for quite a while. They range from the tiny, lipstick sized, 3000 mah ones, right up to 15000 mah which are the size of a laptop. It all depends on what you want, and how much battery life you are prepared to carry with you. This offering is 6400 mah, sort of (but not quite) in the middle. This thing is tiny! The measurements (if you are interested) are about 4cm x 2cm x1cm, and it weighs in at 138g. It's very pocket friendly. I had the 12000 mah variety, and it was great having plenty of juice, but it came at the price of a much heavier and bulkier unit.

All of Anker's batteries have been upgraded to 'smart' ports or 'IQ' ports. Whereas before, the ports would be marked at 1A and 2A for example, leaving you guessing which one to use for the optimum charging experience, these new ports have auto sensing and will automatically charge anything plugged into them at the fastest / safest rate. It's a really great idea, and helps people like me who don't really understand currents and amperage and the like.

If you think that 6400 mah doesn't sound like much, bear in mind that the average smartphone battery is 2000 - 3200 mah, and that means that it can charge your phone from 0 to 100% 2-3 times. Of course, they are never 100% efficient (nothing is) but again with these '2nd generation' products from Anker, the efficiency has also been improved so you will get that bit of extra recharge time. Speaking for myself, I don't really spend more than 2 days away from any power sources, so being able to recharge my phone fully at least twice is absolutely fine for me.

The product itself is aesthetically pleasing, a small white 'candy bar' type of battery. No buttons exist anywhere on the device. 'But show do you turn it on?', I hear you say. Well, just give the device a gentle shake, and a yellow ring will appear as if by magic. The ring is made up of 10 segments, each representing a 10% charge (10 segments lit = 100% charged). It's a really simple and clever idea. I have heard some people say that the device turns itself on with minimal movement, but if there is nothing attached then the device switches itself off again after a few seconds, so what is the problem?

In the box, you get the device, a small carry bag (nice idea) and a MicroUSB cable. Depending on the capacity of charger you buy, there may be some adapters for various phones (or Kindles, or whatever you are charging). Most people would use the charging cable that came with their phone anyway, so in many ways these adapters are superfluous.

Mine arrived with a 90% charge, so I used it to charge an iPhone 5 from 50% to 100 % - 45 mins! not bad at all, and still at 80% charge. To charge the device itself from 0 to 100% takes about 6 hours (or longer via USB).

I like the battery a lot. It is just the right pocket size and has enough capacity for what I need - perfect.

(Anker provided me with the battery free of charge for testing, but my review was not influenced by this in any way. I just really like Anker products!)
on 2 April 2014
Yet again a great product from Anker, comes completely "plug 'n play" out of the box even though with batteries it's always good to give it a full charge at least once before you start using it... overnight if possible.
I received my Astro portable external battery charger yesterday and started using it today: it works great, it's great value for its cost, comes with a nice pouch, cable, instruction manual and the quality of the product is top of the line. it also packs a lot of juice. (last year I spent over 40 euro's on a external battery with far less mAh, it could'nt even charge my phone to 100%) so I am very pleased with this Astro 5600mAh!

I also love the 'reverse-action' charge/discharge possibility, to charge up any device with the Anker Astro, just plug in the USB-cable: normal USB-plug in the Astro, and the micro-USB plug in your device, to recharge your Anker Astro, just reverse the cable and plug the micro-USB side into the Astro, and connect the normal USB-plug to a computer, laptop, any device with a USB-port that allows you to charge the Astro... you don't even need to power up some devices as long as they are plugged into the wall socket.

the Astro has a nice looking charge/discharge indicator and even a built-in flashlight, great for finding your keys at night while standing at the door...

finally... and just as last time I ordered an Anker-product: not even the slightest problem with the delivery; well within the estimate and the package itself wrapped in bubble-wrap... great!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Having read through numerous reviews of different products, this seemed to be the best choice for an iphone 4 backup/charger.

First impressions were excellent - the item feels substantial and well made, and nice touches like a useful protective bag being included, numerous connectors (less as noted in many other reviews a lightening connector) all for under £20 seems like amazing value for money.

The first few uses were problem free, and helped keep my phone charged whilst off the beaten track and that was more than worth the purchase price.

The problems started not long after purchase, when travelling in sub zero weather in the UK. When plugging in the phone it would charge for a couple of seconds, then stop for a couple of seconds then start again and keep repeating that cycle. The phone was not at fault and I worried that damage could be caused by the stop/start charging. I tried a number of options including new cables etc but without luck. Though I could not be absolutely certain I put the fault down to the very cold weather, but I was no longer confident to still use this routinely.

Anker customer service responded unprompted to my review and replaced the unit - this time with a slightly different model to the one I had bought, including being packed with different accessories. As at Mar 2015 I see that the photo of the item has been changed to a third design, so it seems Anker are changing the product quite often; hopefully later purchasers will have more luck with theirs.

In summary, this is a great idea but did not prove reliable in cold conditions.