4.0 out of 5 stars If you bought this album, would you want your nickel back?
First, let me start off saying i'm a big fan of All The Right Reasons and Dark Horse. So only really take my review you feel the same otherwise you probably won't agree.

Published on 22 Nov 2011 by Metalheader

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, I miss the 'silver side up' era.
Being a fairly big Nickelback fan (have travelled across the atlantic to see them several times because seeing them in the UK just wasn't enough) I was naturally quite excited about the prospect of a new record in 2011, so on listening to track one 'This means war' I was really surprised...but not in a good way!
'TMW' seemed repetative, processed and fake...
Published on 19 Dec 2011 by Jerome

4.0 out of 5 stars If you bought this album, would you want your nickel back?, 22 Nov 2011
This review is from: Here And Now (Audio CD)

Overall, it's good album, but not as good as those listed above, HOWEVER, there are some stunners in the album. Here's a blow by blow account of the album, starting with the BEST (number 1) to what i consider the worst of the album (number 10).

1. Trying Not To Love You
What a an unbelievable ballad, the chorus is goosebumping, teary eyed, powerful. One of the best ballads they have ever written.

2. Lullaby
This is a very close second, almost tied with first, another credible ballad.

3. Don't Let it End
An awesome ballady, happy song, more uptempo with an absolutely great ending, check it out.

4. When We Stand Together
You probably know this song already, nice happy little rocksong.

5. Everything I wanna Do
Good upbeat rock

6. Gotta Get Me Some
Nice chunchy rock song, awesome for headbanging.

7. This Means War
The opening track of the album, could have been a better opener, but this is a good song.

8. Bottoms Up
This is a heavy rock song, but just gets a bit boring after a while, it has a great guitar solo tho.

9. Midnight Queen
Hectic rock song, good but not like something in your mouth or anything.

10. Holding Onto Heaven
The melody on this song just didn't do anything for me

11. Kiss It Goodbye
I wish they kissed this song goodbye.

Overall, highs and lows, still worth buying. Chad does much more guitar solos in this album which is cool.
But yeah, as other reviews have said, don't expect anything different.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, I miss the 'silver side up' era., 19 Dec 2011
This review is from: Here And Now (Audio CD)
'TMW' seemed repetative, processed and fake.
Having already heard 'Bottoms up' and 'When we stand together' I'm just going to say that I really liked both of those although 'When we stand together' does sound like the jangly guitar intro to the scrubs theme tune.
The rest of the album seemed to follow a similar pattern to 'This means war', with the music sounding very basic,processed and repetative, as if most of the music were an afterthought to the lyrics.

And let's talk about those lyrics Chad...

'I started thinking that she could really handle alcohol'
'You brought a knife to an all out gun-fight'
'East coast loves the cocaine, the west coast marijuana'

For me, it's a deep, deep shame to see Chad resorting to such generic lyrical content, if I'm honest I've always respected his songwriting abilities; for example, 'side of a bullet', 'someday' and 'too bad' are really thoughtful, whereas
'Here and now' is just Chad telling us about drugs, alcohol and strippers. (although I'd like to point out that there are quite a few other people with various writing credits on the album, so perhaps outside influences are largely to blame for anyone else who feels as I do about the record.)

In a nutshell, If you liked dark horse and the much more dumbed down sex, drugs and rock n roll themes,you will definitely see this as a good record, but if you're expecting them to return to their grunge roots and knock out more thoughtful songs like 'hollywood', 'good times gone' and 'how you remind me' then you will be disappointed.
Like me.

4.0 out of 5 stars No Dark Horse but still good, 3 Jan 2012
This review is from: Here And Now (Audio CD)
And so it was with great expectation I received this latest Nickelback offering and, like Metalheader, I thought both All The Right Reasons and (especially) Dark Horse were terrific. This is not a bad album by any stretch, it still kicks like you'd expect it to and I'm so pleased that Nickelback are still championing 'feel good' party rock with themes based around booze and women, but it's no Dark Horse.
My first surprise was that they had gone back to Joey Moi for producer; while he's no slouch (he's done a great job both here and previously) I thought they'd really found their sound with Mutt Lange; those thunderous drums were stunning. For a band that came out of the grunge era I can understand why some people won't like such a polished sound but I loved it.
With Midnight Queen, Bottoms Up and Kiss It Goodbye there's still plenty of power to chew on and Lullaby is the kind of achingly good ballad the likes of Bon Jovi and Def Leppard used to excel at that it renders When We Stand Together superfluous; although I can see why they kept it.
Don't Ever Let It End continues their very ballsy and to-be-applauded approach of ending albums with a softer, upbeat message (take note Bon Jovi, morale and the end of an album is no bad thing!) which I was very pleased with.
So with so many good points, if you've chosen to read this you may be wondering what's detracting about it? Nothing-it's great. It just feels like a step back from Dark Horse, almost as though this album was recorded first but held back for a couple of years.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ehhh...., 21 Nov 2011
This review is from: Here And Now (Audio CD)
I'm a Nickelback fan. But honestly? The biggest impression this left on me was "wow, they're really phoning it in". It's been three years since Dark Horse, and in those three years they've only written 11 songs? 39 minutes of music? 13 minutes per year? And the thing is... they're not even particularly good. I can't put it any better than to say, most of the songs seem to be mostly chorus. Very repetitive. They're catchy choruses, don't get me wrong, but... There's no spark. It's all so formulaic. Feel quite let down by this honestly. But distinctly missing is the lack of a special edition, with a second disk, and a few more songs...

5.0 out of 5 stars Nickelback here and now, 22 Dec 2011
This review is from: Here And Now (Audio CD)
As usual nickelback have done yet another great album. Brilliant cd gets you to work 15 minutes early but may also get you some extra points on your driving license, and may also give you some bleeding ears........ Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
good album

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD for driving to, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: Here And Now (Audio CD)
I like CDs in my car to drive to, especially ones that require the volume being turned up and this encourages you to do this.
I am a new fan of Nickleback but with most bands only like a few songs per album, but these songs are perfect for cars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Jun 2014
This review is from: Here And Now (Audio CD)
Very good album and dispatched very quickly, couldn't have asked for any more, would recommend ordering if you like their previous albums

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Happy, worth the purchase, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Here And Now (MP3 Download)
If I'm perfectly honest there are only about three songs on there that I listen to on a regular basis, the others are just kept on my device for the sake of completeness and in case I one day grow a liking for them. Still I'm happy I have it, and don't mind having paid for it either. A good buy, certainly could have been worse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Love Love!, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: Here And Now (Audio CD)
I only got into Nickelback after their Dark Horse album was released, which is completely different to this album, but I love it all! This is more pop-py and lighter than their older stuff, but it's still absolutely brilliant!

Would definitely recommend it, not a song I don't like on the whole album!

Here And Now
Here And Now by Nickelback (Audio CD - 2011)