So I just finished reading Stained and I loved it. I have to admit, the only reason I read this was because I randomly stumbled across it on my kindle and was confused as to how it got there, but I sure am glad that it found its way to my library! I was initially reading this on the Kindle app for iPod which is my least favourite method of reading but once I'd started Stained, I just couldn't stop! Stained had me gripped from the beginning to the end with its compelling story and characters and I can't wait to read the rest of the books in this series!

The story centres around Julia and Cayne and there are very few other characters. I absolutely fell in love with Cayne as I suppose any teenage girl would. He's badass. Like Nephilim badass. He's super hot, super alluring and super secretive and you can't help but fall in love with him. From the minute he burst through the Julia's ceiling (literally), I was completely under his spell. You can see both Julia and Cayne develop as the book goes on and you get more and more engrossed in their story. What's interesting is that both of these characters are searching to find out more about themselves, but the more they learn the more complicated things get. Whilst Nora is one of the 'stained', Cayne is a Nephilim and it appears that these two races have it out for each other, though this isn't explored that much in book 1. Although this book is written from the third person perspective, you still get glimpses into Julia's thoughts and you really understand her as a character. Sometimes I found Cayne thoroughly confusing, but I liked that we didn't know everything about him because it added to the allusion.

Some aspects of this book are pretty predictable, but some really aren't. Just as I'd started to get into the groove of this book, there was a random passage featuring some new characters teasing me just enough to have me turning pages like crazy trying to figure out how this new info would all fit in. You feel a build up as you're reading and you just know that something is coming, but you're never quite sure what it is.

Stained ends on such an abrupt and unanticipated cliffhanger and as I hadn't been keeping tabs on how far into the book I was, I found myself frantically pressing the 'page turn' button, willing there to be more. I cannot wait to get started on Stolen, the second book in this series, so that I can find out exactly what happens to Cayne and Julia! I, rather shamefully, have to admit that I have never purchased a book from Kindle ebook from Amazon but for this book I think I'll have to make an exception because I need to know more!

Having finished reading the book, I have to say that I don't think the cover is particularly representative of the content. The girl standing there is nothing like what I'd imagine Julia to be like, particularly because she has very short hair and I can't really imagine her in those clothes, but hey, that's just the way my imagination sees things. Personally, I feel the cover lets the book down a bit, but, as they say, never judge a book by its cover! For me, the cover is the only negative thing about this book, everything else is brilliant!

This book very much reminded me of the series Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick so I'd definitely recommend this to any fans of Patch and Nora. This ebook is only £0.77 on Amazon, which is incredibly cheap for such a fantastic novel so get your hands on it now - no excuses!

More reviews at [...]
on 20 August 2012
This book kept me interested enough to read on, it just didn't really do it for me in the end. It was an easy read, but I just couldn't seem to connect to the characters. I found it a little confusing when the perspective shifted from one character to another. There was no real warning. It just sort of switched from the main protagonist halfway through, and I was a full page in when I realised what had happened.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
We start this story with Julia, her house is on fire and she is standing watching because there is nothing she can do. she finds that her foster family are in the house and she takes off before she can be placed into care again. while sleeping in a old warehouse and changing her appearance so she can leave her past life behind her.

While sleeping she hears a noise and a hot guy falls in through the roof.. she finds he is hurt and she tries to heal him. In comes the Angel of Death and the guy fights him till he chases him off.

the two start to get to know each other but refuse to get to close and let to many secrets pass. but they both have one goal and that's to kill the Angel of Death.

They both set out on a journey that is very deadly and scary. the two only have each other. and both find that they are in love with each other.

I have to say I loved this book, full of action and kept me on the edge of my seat.This is only the first book in this series and I'm happy to say I'm looking forward to reading the next book. I just hope it has as much adventure as this one has. Id like to thank Ella for giving me the chance to read this amazing story.
on 18 May 2013
Julia's young life has been an endurance test, until, finally, she is happily taken from an orphanage to a loving family home. She at last knows happiness - the elusive state she has always sought - until she returns home to find her adoptive parents' home destroyed by an evil entity. Fleeing from the death and destruction, she takes refuge in an abandoned warehouse. But her temporary safety is viciously interrupted by the same creature that destroyed her home. Enter Cayne, a powerful hunter from another realm who saves her from this creature, but pays dearly for it in the battle. Samyaza, the king of Nephilim, flees...leaving Julia to try and help the mortally injured Cayne. Her healing powers bring this young man back from the brink of death... and then the adventure kicks into overdrive.

On the run from Samyaza, the beast determined to kill Julia, she and Cayne flee. Using his mystical powers, he is bound to protect Julia, but he isn't prepared to tell her why she is being hunted. Cayne is a frustratingly secretive and stoic individual, and Julia fights at every twist and turn to get him to open up and tell her why they are being hunted, and why he is determined to kill any Nephilim that cross their path. She also fights to mute her growing attraction to Cayne, confused by rapid events and confused by her own undeniable feelings.

This story is like a high-speed car chase, all action and tension, in which the two race across the country to avoid the attackers - but also to find Samyaza so that Cayne can try and defeat him. It's a speedy adventure, with secrets gradually revealed, which keeps you guessing at every new chapter why Julia is the target and Cayne her protector.

If you like mystery, romance, and a wealth of fantasy adventure, this one is definitely for your TBR list. Recommended.
on 20 February 2013
Ebook: Stained

Author: Ella James

Fiction, Paranormal,

This review may contain spoilers

I got this free on Amazon

Summary: BOOK ONE IN THE BESTSELLING STAINED SERIES:
Seventeen-year-old Julia is finally living the good life. She's traded a hard cot in a Memphis orphanage for her very own room in a perfect little house, on a perfect little street, with a perfect set of parents who picked her to be their daughter.
But Julia is hiding a secret - and one fall night, she returns home from a friend's house to find that her secret has found her. Her 'forever home' is ashes. Her parents are dead. And, in the sky above the flames, a winged creature hunts her.
The Nephilim King, Samyaza, has taken everything from Cayne. After struggling in the darkness for years to piece together his shattered life, Cayne is finally ready to confront his past and avenge the loss of everything he loved. He tracks Samyaza to a Memphis warehouse, where he winds up flat on his back, in the healing hands of a beautiful, dark-haired girl he doesn't need to know.
Unbeknownst to either of them, they are already bound. Cayne's past holds the answers to Julia's future. But what will pose the greatest threat to her? The bounty placed on her head by the leaders of two Celestial realms, or giving her heart to a man who is bound, by birth, to break it?

The Review
How bad am I? I have never read any of this series, I have heard such great things that I thought hey go & get it girl, I am sooooo very happy I did, I loved this story, I really can't wait to get stuck into book 2 Stolen, I totally fell in love with Cayne, he was the star of the book for me, The author did a fantastic job, he had enough troubles in his life to make him a better person, I loved how this was a road book, travelling all over looking for Samyaza, I loved all the names, the action was great, just the right amount for this book, I thought. I am slightly upset with the ending, Why oh why? I read this into the morning and was just abit upset that it ended like it did, if you love a good cliffhanger, this one is for you, I ended up dreaming about how things turned out, which was not a bad thing in the end, I suppose but at 3.30am, oh I was cursing you, lol, would recommend to all my friends, well those that have not read it yet, 4.5/5
on 6 February 2012
What to say? . . . I always seem to start reviews with I liked it or I really liked it but I can't help it because I did . . . I really liked it!

We find 17 year old Julia watching her house turn into an inferno with her latest set of foster parents inside and what she believes is `the angel of death' hovering nearby, she doesn't know what to do, she was meant to be in that house too and there's no way she's going back into care so she decides to let them believe she is dead and makes a run for it, it's not like she has anything left in this life. As she takes refuge in an abandoned warehouse a man literally crashes into her life, he's in a bad way and she tries to help him but hot on his heals is `the angel of death' who is not happy to see that Julia is still alive. The stranger defends her from this evil man and they come to realise that they have a mutual enemy in common and make it their mission to find him and kill him and find out just why he is hunting Julia.

I loved the two main characters in this, Julia is a bit `orphan Annie' with losing her parents when she was a baby and being put through the foster care system all her life, never truly belonging anywhere and when she does finally gel with one set of foster parents they are cruelly ripped away from her leaving her all alone again. She is determined she isn't going back into the system so it's understandable how she clings to her knight in shining armour when he drops in and saves her from the hands of death. Cayne is just as lost as Julia but he seems to prefer being alone and doesn't really want anything to do with her until he realises he can use her to his own advantage. He has the tall, dark, handsome, brooding hero act down to a T and I enjoyed Julia chipping away at him, trying to find out his hidden depths. He is packed full of secrets that Julia is just dying to discover but then again, so has she and none of them have any answers to their own questions. So this is a journey of self-discovery for them both. I wouldn't say we see a huge change in Julia, we touch on her background and childhood but that left me with more questions than answers, we do see a lot of change in Cayne however. He sort of unravels throughout the book and we get a look under that tough exterior.
I enjoyed their relationship and how it developed through the book and how the mysteries were revealed. I liked the idea of the Nephellim, which is a slightly different concept to the usual version and these were more sinister and were a very fitting bad guy, you really felt the threat they posed and the brutality they had. The book pretty much centres on a road trip as they try to find the one who is hunting Julia; we have a few stops along the way to show what they're up against and a lot of self-discovery. The thing I loved about the journey was that it didn't focus on scenery and describing where they were etc. it was a getting to know you part (which usually drags) but there was tons of dialogue between them. It was like reading a conversation and I love that, the banter, the teasing out of information and the developing relationship as a result of it, it turned it into a really easy read that flowed well. I could read a whole book like that.
Even though main thread is to find out why Julia is being hunted I feel like we only touched on that and I would have liked a bit more but I suppose we are probably going to get more from her as the books go on and she makes her own discoveries. I have to say that the travelling was getting a tad too much towards the end so I was glad when the finale came about because it gave the book a good lift and what a finale it was with that cliff-hanger, I can't believe we're left hanging like that until the next book!

So, If you like a good, revenge seeking road trip that stops along the way for some car chases, murders, fights and prophetic dreams and visions all wrapped up with a couple of lost souls trying to find themselves - look no further, this is for you.
on 3 June 2012
Stained (YA Paranormal Romance) (Stained Series)

After a fire destroys seventeen-year-old Julia's home and kills her foster parents, she chases the half-demon responsible across the country and back, determined to avenge her family and discover why a host of celestial baddies want her dead. With Julia is enigmatic hottie Cayne, who has his own score to settle with the half-demon, and who might be just as dangerous as the creature he and Julia hunt.

Are you looking for a fast-paced action and adventure story, with twist and turns, plus the added ingredient of a budding love story between two teens? If this sounds exactly what you need from your next read, then pick up Stained today. Detail and vivid descriptions abound, as Julia enters a deadly world; where no one is what they seem. Dreams and demons, mystery and tragedy are the added spice to this book. I enjoyed Stained immensely, for its swift pace and developing plot. Each chapter added interesting and new twists which pull the reader along and immersed them in Julia's world.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
When a fire set by a half-demon destroys her home and kills her foster parents, Julia finds herself alone and scared. Whilst hiding, she meets Cayne. Cayne is a hunter and has been chasing the half-demon down for his own reasons. They join forces and begin hunting the half-demon together.

I loved reading this story. Julia's character has been through the wars. She is an orphan who has been in a lot of foster homes. She finds a family worth staying with, only to have them cruelly ripped away by a fire. Cayne is a mysterious, enigmatic character. He is a bit of a loner and is not happy to take Julia with him, but he knows that the half-demon will not let Julia live.
Ella James has created a world that is scary, but believable. Her characters go through a gamut of emotions; and I went through the emotions with them.
I recommend this book to everyone who likes to read YA paranormal adventure/romance. I'm definitely reading the next book in the series, Stolen, which is due for release in February this year.
on 28 September 2014
A great discovery to a new series. It was a good introduction and after reading this one, I would very much like to read the next.
on 19 January 2013
OMG it was amazing I can't stop smiling. I loved the fact that C Wayne is so distant at first and they get together as a couple and good they make a cute couple but that only happened At the end. Would recommend it to any one who loves angels and drama. Hope you love it as much as I do. O and before a forget at the end it is a bit confusing so that is a warning.