Price:£1.49

on 19 March 2013
This classic is true to the original, graphics play and sound.
Control ship by moving finger on screen or keypad.
There is a firing and module button, option for continuous fire.
It is not an easy game to play, especially when you reach the bosses.
You need quick reflexes and collect as many power ups and modules
as you can. There are extra lives to help
One of my favourites, great app for my collection and is still
enjoyable to play.
Highly recommended for any classic arcade players.
This all looks, sounds and plays exactly as I remember it. Alas, it is also frustratingly hard. No new easy setting here just normal or hard and normal is tough enough. I have been stuck on level two for ages. The controls do work well but many times the need to drag the ship around means your own hand hides where the enemies will pop up and kill you yet again. That said I do keep coming back to it in the hope that this time i might just make it!
i remember playing this years ago!!! the graphics are really great but i still the crontrols are a bit iffy saying that i sucked at this game!!!
on 4 April 2013
Just as i remember it back in th 80s need more of the classics bring back the greats streets of rage and the last ninja
on 13 September 2014
I downloaded this because i) it was free and ii) it just happens to be the best game ever. So I settled down for a few hours packed with power-ups and nostalgia, hoping I could remember all the little things like positioning and when to release the floating gun thingy for best effect. After destroying all manner of creatures for a couple of hours it was either eat or die. So I exited the game hoping to resume where I left of. Unfortunately that was a big mistake.

Every time I start the game now, either resuming or from scratch, I have no access to power-ups or even the power beam, an essential weapon if you want to progress in this game. What a dog.

Maybe it's to do with my tablet's hardware, it's the newly released Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5, but it's sorely disappointing.
on 14 September 2014
As others have said it's a very faithful reproduction of the arcade version, but without the unpredictability of wondering if the joystick will be working properly or smeared with unknown substances. That said, I drop 1 star because there is no perfect way to control your ship on a phone; using your finger on the touchscreen inevitably gets in the way of the ship you're trying to control and the control 'pad' option is just silly in its inefficiency. I'm using a stylus to improve things, but still a bit annoying at times. Other than that it's a wonderful nostalgia-fest of a game complete with the original (to my memory) music and sound-effects.
on 12 September 2014
This game is identical to the original in looks and gameplay but adds an achievements screen after you game over and the option for autofire (no more spamming the shoot button unless you want to). The best part, however, is the control scheme.
Remember all those other retro ports with a laggy control stick or set of arrows in the corner? Well you can have those if you want, or you can have fully responsive, 100% accurate swipe controls where your finger movement directly corresponds that of your ship. You never even need to lift it off and it massively boosts the sense of immersion. Best retro port ever!
on 13 May 2013
If you love retro games which take you back to your childhood then you will remember this calssic from the arcades great to see such a treasured title hadn't disappeared forever.
on 13 September 2014
This is R-Type. If you stood in dark arcades playing this for hours in the 80s then you will love it. Sure it's not quite the same as a coin-op, but then it is so much better in that you don't have to keep shelling out precious pocket money to have one last go! Modern games might be prettier, but not many shoot-em-ups are actually more fun to play.
on 17 September 2014
I thought that the touch controls were making it too hard so I booted up the original on an Amiga emulator with a joypad and it was even harder! Every time I revisit the classics I realise how soft I've gone! Kids these days don't know they're born. This is a brilliant rendition of a classic arcade shootemup. History lesson!