5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another entertaining read
Remix was the first ebook to tempt me from my comfort zone of a lifetime of Fantasy & SF, so it is fitting that Lexi should have enticed me back to the SF fold with Replica and now to Fantasy with Torbrek.

Published on 4 Oct 2011 by Prints of Whales

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a Tor book!
Torbreka raised by one of the last 100 knights.

Starts off in the promising vein of many Piers Anthony novels. Maiden posing as knight rescues princess from overweight dragon and joins the resistance against a foul overlord. Turns out to be related to the overlord.

All promising material for humorous fantasy romantic comedy. It starts out well...
Published on 30 Mar 2012 by D. J. Ketchin

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another entertaining read, 4 Oct 2011
Prints of Whales (Farnborough, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Torbrek...and the Dragon Variation (The Torbrek Duology Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

With Torbrek Lexi shows she has the talent to be up there with Anne McAffrey and Sheri S. Tepper - especially for a first novel. I hope it is not giving too much away to mention that Lexi has pulled off yet another first in my eyes - I can't remember another story where two of the main characters are reduced to supporting roles in the finale! I wouldn't even have expected that to work - but it did.

If you like your heroes and villains black-and-white then look elsewhere. Lexi even makes us feel some sympathy for a homicidal dictator!

I'm now looking forward to reading Trav Zander, and the third whenever Lexi provides us with the privilege.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fresh, fun jaunt into fantasy, 23 Sep 2011
Having read and enjoyed Remix and Replica, I bought this immediately, as fantasy is my favourite genre.
It can be difficult to find a story of this type which isn't a big cliched and hasn't been done before, but Lexi is as original as always. It's very readable and accessible to older children as well as adults (there is some violence but not in graphic detail) and the only reason it's 4* rather than 5 is because despite the excellent edit there are a couple of moments that don't chime quite as genuinely with the characters as they would if Lexi was writing it today (though the third to be published, I'm led to believe this was her first novel). However, it's not anything that really intrudes, so don't be put off by that.

If you enjoyed her other books you should give this a go, even if fantasy is not necessarily your thing, as it's mostly a story of human relationships. If you do like fantasy, you'll enjoy this fresh, funny romp with dragons, battles - and human relationships!

In short: Torbrek is a fresh, fun adventure with sympathetic characters, rollicking action, a kick-ass heroine and a slightly grumpy and wilful dragon (as all the best ones are!) and frankly, if you don't go on from reading this to buying the sequel (as I did) I'll be pretty surprised.
Recommended!

JAC

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun, 17 Sep 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I very much liked the main characters. Fantsy Fiction with a definite twist and lots of fun. I was sorry when it came to an end and I had to 'leave' them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping and stunning read, 16 Sep 2011
DebbieB (Southend-on-sea) - See all my reviews
This was an absolutely delightful story which I feel would appeal to all ages. Tor has been in training for all of her eighteen years to join the 100 knights who protect the kingdom. Now a vicious tyrant threatens, and the 100 have been overwhelmed and scattered. The King's army have a secret weapon, a fire breathing dragon. Tor is tasked with getting him ready for battle. But Tor has problems, the dragon is unfit and somewhat recalcitrant, the rebel leader is showing a worrying interest in her, and, most trying of all, she had to pretend to be a man to get into the army. Which is awkward when she starts to fall in love.
This unusual book is full of humour, daring deeds and fascinating characters. I loved Tor who is a superb creation, a mixture of integrity, confidence and humour. I would heartily recommend this to anyone who likes a good gripping story, even if dragons are not your normal reading, this is a thrilling book about interesting characters

4.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe I read Fantasy fiction and enjoyed it!, 4 Dec 2011
J. R. Saunders (Los Romanes Spain) - See all my reviews
Not my usual kind of book at all, but having read two thrillers by the same author, I was looking for more of her work. This was written earlier in her writing career and lacked the level of skill she now displays, however, that said it is still a very good read and I enjoyed it enormously

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragons and Knights and much more!, 8 Oct 2011
S. Horrigan "Shaun" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Torbrek is one of the 100 Knights; trained in swordsmanship and hand to hand fighting since childhood. The only unusual thing about Torbrek is that she is a girl. This doesn't stop her from going to face a dragon to rescue a princess though.. but things really are really not quite as they seem. The dragon is old, overweight, and hasn't breathed fire in decades. He considers his job of guarding the princess as a sort of semi-retirement and he would rather sit and chat than fight!

Having read and enjoyed Lexi's other books, I didn't hesitate to download this one too as this falls much more into my normal reading genre. I subsequently found out that this was in fact the first book that Lexi wrote. It certainly did not disappoint and contains all the required elements of a good fantasy novel. There are castles, battles, dragons, intrigue, a love interest, an evil ruler, and many others. There is also a healthy dose of humour too!

This is a full length novel at over 5500 Kindle locations and as with Lexi's other books is immaculately presented with few if any errors of any sort.

Overall: 5 stars - Even though this story still has a few rough edges and is not quite as polished as her other books, it has become my favourite of Lexi's books that I have read so far. The story is gripping and the characters are great! Tor is brilliant and Pom the young boy desperate to become her squire is superb, even the evil villain is more complex than you first think. I am definitely looking forward to reading the rest in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun story with great characters, 14 April 2012
Having read and enjoyed Lexi's Remix, I was delighted to see she had writen a couple of fantasy stories. I expecting good things of this, and it fully lived up to them
The characters were very likeable, the dragon was great fun and even the villian had his soft side, but that didn't stop it being a good exciting story. I though it was a great touch to make the dragon lazy and unfit at the beginning rather than all-powerful and overwhelming. This is a light-hearted fun read that appeals both to children and adults, with a good female heroine in Torbrek and a touching bit of romance.
I also read and enjoyed the second in the series, and am hoping there will be a third at some stage.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantasy for non-fantasy fans!, 14 April 2012
I don't usually like fantasy very much, but there is nothing fantastical about this book except for the fact that one of the heros is a dragon! I loved reading this. The story is gripping, the characters likeable and believable; and there is plenty of humour. This book would also suit young adult readers; although perfectly enjoyable to people of all ages, most of the characters are young so I can see it appealing to a youth audience. Having said that - I've left my youth well behind but I loved reading this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabtastic, 18 Sep 2011
Joo "kuforum" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Lexi mentioned she had just published her first two books so I had a nose. Torbrek... is a fantasy about dragons and princesses and knights and battles etc. I am not all that interested in this kind of book, but since I loved Remix and Replica, I thought I'd check out the samples when I went to bed last night. Well, I'd got to 30% of the book before I was too exhausted and had to sleep . I read another third this morning before I had to go out visiting and finished it off this afternoon.
What a blummin fantastic book.
It was very light, but not childish at all. There were story strands with numerous characters but you never got distracted or confused (this is no Game of Thrones )
The main character is a girl who pretend to be a boy, but I was glad that that didn't go on for too long. She's no-nonsense and likeable.
I think I can officially say I need never download a sample of Lexi's books ever again (maybe if you do a Western, but other than that ... ) as she is superb storyteller and writer in 3 genres now.

A big thumbs up from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars engaging fun, 1 Feb 2013
I loved this light hearted story as I have all Lexi Revelian's books. There is a warmth and sanity in her imaginative tales that brings a smile and a feeling that tne auther is a personal friend. Charming. If you haven't, try her other books and enjoy!