5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money?
Published on 15 April 2012 by M. B. Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars great sound but......
If you can get the phones to fit properly, the sound quality is quite astonishing. but whether I use the supplied buds or spend even more money trying alternatives I cant get the things to stay comfortably in place commuting walking or whatever. Net: they irritate me as often as they delight me. And for the money, that feels a poor return
Published 16 months ago by gorilla

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money?, 15 April 2012
M. B. Wright - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sennheiser IE80 Ear Canal Phones (Electronics)
I have upgraded from CX300 to CX400ii to the IE6 and finally I have saved for the IE80. The reason being that I was so impressed with the IE6, I hoped the flagship model would be and even bigger step up. Surely they would put the IE6 to shame, being twice the price? Well not quite in reality but I put that down to the IE6 bieng so impressive in the first place. It's true that the IE80s do have a deeper, punchier bass over a wider range and it is better balanced. The sound stage is also a little wider and the vocals are certainly a little more alive and rich. It seems absurd to call the IE6 noise 'tinny' but in comparison, they do seem a little bit. The IE80 no doubt beat them hands down and they are the most impressive sound I have heard anywhere. The issue here though is that all of these improvements in sound quality are actually very marginal. I had to compare with real scrutiny, (before burn-in), to be completely satisfied that I had spent my money well. They are the ultimate product Sennheiser have to offer, (and in my opinion, that anybody has to offer as I like my bass), but to justify the price hike over their little brothers is contentious. I think it's worth it as I'm a real sound geek but you need to be a self-confessed audiophile to really justify them. Just a little perspective though: I compared them to some £300 Beats Audio cans. They were an utter embarrassment, much like Bose. Do your research people. These IE80 are undisputed as the best dynamic driver headphones available. Nothing comes close. If you want to go for armature headphones in the same price range you can not get the same bass or as much range. This is a technological limitation. What Sennheiser have done is produce a sound to rival armature headphones but with the beautiful bass of a big dynamic driver. They are just incredible; the ultimate headphone and I will not be upgrading this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding sound quality..........but be prepared for some trial and error!, 5 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Sennheiser IE80 Ear Canal Phones (Electronics)
I class myself as somewhat as an audiophile. I love music and I want it to sound as good as possible. After investing in a new digital media set up the next step was to get some headphones to match. I have always managed with my Apple Earbuds/pods for day to day listening and have a pair of B&O Earset's that I use more at home. Whilst sounding very good they are not as elite is I would want my premium headphones to sound. So after reading some reviews I settled on these IE80's.

The first thing of note is they come very well packaged. There are lots of accessories and a very smart carry case so they do have a premium feel to them. They also come with a vast assortment of tips in various shapes and sizes as well as adjustable base drivers. So one thing that should be very apparent here is there are a lot of potential settings! There are several ear tips and several base settings so this makes way for plenty of variance in terms of the sound and performance you get from them. Remember these are IEM's that sit in your ear canal, not the standard earbuds that just sit as they want.

The whole IEM switch takes some getting used to. They can feel a little intrusive at first as they sit a lot deeper in your ear than a standard earbud, however its not at all uncomfortable. Anyhow, I'm rambling! Onto some sound tests. In the first week of owning these I went from been in love with them to having them repackaged up ready for return. Whilst sounding good I wasnt experiencing that "wow" factor that I wanted with headphones that come in at almost double the cost of my B&O's and 10 times as much as standard Apple EarPods, which don't sound bad by any means. I did manage to hang in there and finally got them set up just right for me, and they sound as good as I hoped they would!

Firstly you need to make sure you get the right size ear tip for you. The difference between the medium and large is huge. The medium just been a tad too small for that isolated environment for the sound to really shine. So I use the large ear tip with maybe 40% on the base setting. I also did a slight EQ for increases in high end treble and the sound is astonishing. Base is punchy and at time can be ear shaking! Separation is excellent too. I have a few tracks that start off very base heavy, almost sounding muffled, then the vocals or higher end sounds come in and it just opens up completely. Overall very very impressed with them!

The best advice I can give is really be prepared to spend some time getting these right. They are not your standard £10 out of the box pop straight in your ear and go headphones. They are premium IEM's that are intended for premium listening and professional use. If you are considering spending £250 on some in ear headphones then be prepared to spend the time getting them right for you. For me it took a week and a half, but in the end I am delighted with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands down the best IEM's at this price range., 16 Sept. 2014
L Barnard "Ted" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sennheiser IE80 Ear Canal Phones (Electronics)
I have had these for just over two years now. The first pair had a problem with the cable, Sennheiser promptly replaced not just the cable but sent me a brand new pair. And the reason I'm writing this review now is because the second pair lasted about 20 months, with the sound degrading slightly toward the low end, and they just sent me another pair no questions asked. I cannot stress enough how good Sennheiser's customer service is.

Anyhow onto the review of the phones themselves. I have been through a lot of IEM's in my time and for my money, these are hands down the best standard driver, nay, best IEM's in the price range. They have the amazing top / mid response of balanced armature IEMs with the bass response and general power of regular driver based earphones. The sound is bright and powerful with a massively wide soundstage, exactly what most people would want. Tons of detail, plenty of bottom end oomph, and in a pair of very comfortable good looking IEMs.

I could only upgrade to the IE800's (Which are 700 quid) to possibly get better sound out of IEMs than these.

Seriously, if you're even vaguely interested in a pair of IEMs at this price bracket, get them. Do it. They are wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Sound !, 26 Sept. 2012
My previous in ear monitors were a pair of Shure E5's and I never felt that they were as good as the cash that I spent on them. Now the issue with earbuds is that you can never try a pair before you buy, unless you have a friend who's willing to let you have a go. Unfortunately most of my friends think I'm mad spending 200+ for earbuds, so no way to try them. I read all the reviews on various websites and decided to try these and if they didn't live up to expectations - there would be a fast turnaround back to Amazon and a refund requested.

Fortunately, they've been as good as I hoped and even though they haven't had time to bed in properly yet, they sound fantastic. Crystal clear sound and with the tiny dials on the sides, I've adjusted the Bass up a notch and they're 'just right', essentially this makes the IE80's flexible enough to suit a large variety of people and music tastes, see the pic that I've added above that shows this. Overall the quality of the earbuds, the box and even the adjustment / cleaning tool is outstanding and I have no hesitation in recommending them. I've added a pic with some of the key features highlighted, which should appear along with the main pics. Buy with confidence!

*Edit* After a month of daily usage, I'm over the moon with these earbuds and if anything, the sound is better now that they've bedded in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect in almost every regard, 8 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Sennheiser IE80 Ear Canal Phones (Electronics)
Bought these after several years of using and enjoying other Sennheiser headphones, both in-ear as well as over-ear. I have been an avid fan of the CX300-ii for a number of years: simple, cheap in-ears with good sound quality, and recently took it upon myself to make the upgrade, given my enjoyment of music and growing amount of time spent travelling. The quality of their products thus far meant Sennheiser was my first choice.
Initially, I was tempted by the CX400-ii, a straight upgrade from my existing headphones at a cheaper cost and with less risk than the IE80's. However, I found little distinction between the CX300 and CX400's. Consequently, I was pressed to find in-ears with really remarkable quality.
Despite being sceptical of the IE-80's initially (I'd never paid more than £100 for headphones), the purchase was indeed worth it. The soundstage is excellent, voices sound clear and distinct above the background, and there is no distortion of instruments, even when many are playing at the same time. I find the bass is understated and not too heavy, even at its highest setting. The headphones work well with all types of music; I have listened to folk, heavy metal, opera, drum & bass and hip-hop without the phones favouring one genre over another.
Now, I can't use my old CX300-II's without thinking how unclear they sound. I have compared Shure, Bose, Sony, Beats and other Sennheiser, all at around the same £250 mark; none equal or exceed the quality of the IE80's. As a result, for me the IE80's are unmatched in terms of audio quality.

However, when I first tried the headphones, I was struck by how uncomfortable they are. Sennheiser shows them being worn looped over the ear, yet I found this to drastically reduce the audio quality despite being slightly less uncomfortable. I changed the buds numerous times, yet the fit was always painful after long periods of use. 3 months later this is less of a problem, I have grown accustomed to the fit, but immediately I found the poor fit off-putting, despite the bud customisation.

Furthermore, the case they come with is terrible. Made of a gimicky plastic and fake metal, the three pieces that make up the case fall apart at will, and the space inside is taken up mostly by foam and plastic that is designed to house spare ear buds. The lack of space makes putting the headphones in the case a time-consuming process, and the cheap quality of the case itself negates its use as a protective storage space for daily use on the go.
For £200+ you would expect comfort and a case to be perfect as standard. This loses a star.

Regardless, you don't buy anything for the box it comes in, and these headphones are a thing of beauty. I have yet to try the IE800's, and am apprehensive of their value given the astonishingly high price. Meanwhile, the IE80's are certainly not entry-level, nor do they fail to live up to the quality associated with Sennheiser, and as a result I recommend them to anyone looking for a serious step up in audio quality.

3.0 out of 5 stars great sound but......, 24 Oct. 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Not short of bass., 31 May 2013
S. Reynolds (South Wales) - See all my reviews
I use headphones solely to listen to music when travelling with work or just generally out and about somewhere, and use a Samsung Galaxy S3 that's stuffed full of Spotify "Extreme Quality" files, and Poweramp playing FLAC (standard 16/44 and some 24/96 files). I also own a pair of Grado SR80 phones, Etymotic HF5 and previously Beyer Dynamic DT101, Sennheiser CX300 II. I rarely use headphones in my home domestic system, but have used it to compare them in a better quality system (I use J Rover MC17 streaming from a laptop into a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic+).

I've had the Etymotics for about 8 months, and have never quite got used to their bass-lite tonal balance, but I have to admit the level of detail and the sense of simply being in the same room as the musicians is uncanny. I liked the DT101, more bass sam, but less detail and bit less agile than the HF5. I decided to try the IE80 after reading lots of reviews on Head-fi and similar sites. The problem with IEMs is you can't try them out before buying them, unlike regular full size over ear or on ear phones. I had considered more expensive IEMs: Westone, Grado, Shure 535 etc, but figured good though the Wolfson DAC is in the S3, it's still just a phone playing mostly slightly lossy compresed files, and unless I bought a separate portable DAC amp such as a Fiio, then I'd be missing the potential of such high quality phones.

Ive had the IE80s now for a couple of day, and on the advice of another reviewer bought some Comply TX500 foam tips. they have been on constant play burning them in, and have dipped in and out of them when I've had the chance. I narrowed down the tip choice to the stock large silicon tips, and the large Comply tips, still not sure that the Comply tips are casting a bit of a veil over the sound, making it more bloated and almost muffled, but the isolation is better than the stock tips...more experimentation required here yet I think. Out of the box the difference in tonal balance to the Etymotics is immediately obvious, bass, bass and er lots more bass. Too much for me, it sounded bloated, with a pronounced rise in the upper mid bass range that overpowers and obscures slightly the midband. 24 hours later and it's calmed down a bit, bearing in mind it's set to minimum on the bass adjust setting. Treble is now sweeter, and it's certainly a very full sound, still very different to the Etymotics. I'm going to try to taped bass port mod and see if that balances things out better for me.

One advantage with these phones is the detachable cables, and there are some replacement upgrades out there that are interesting, if not cheap; try searching for Toxic cables for example.

In summary, I'm not completely blown away yet by the Sennheisers, but given that I might yet still find a better tip that may change. Part of the problem is that the tips have a large diameter to accommodate the dynamic drivers, which restricts the size and shape of tips you can use. If anyone has any recommendations then I'd love to hear them and try them out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic sound quality! Perfect for House and Techno., 28 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Sennheiser IE80 Ear Canal Phones (Electronics)
Having moved from a detached house into a flat I struggled to make the most of my krk rokit 8 and 10s setup so I searched around for a long time to find a solution that wouldn't disrupt the neighbours. Eventually I narrowed my selection down to shure se535 and the IE80s. These two very different IEM's both had some excellent features but the IE80s were perfect for me.
These IEM's are fantastic for electronic music with plenty of bottom end clarity. The soundstage was is also incredible, you almost forget that you are listening to IEM's not monitors. They sound fantastic on the move playing from my sony experia z3 but I really notice a jump in high end clarity when I connect them to my Focusrite sound card. The majority of my music is saved in 320kbps but I have my favourites in 1411kbps and on a quiet day you can really hear and feel the difference.

I defiantly recommend these to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Jun. 2013
I love these headphones. I will say that immediately. They go very loud, have excellent bass, and everything is clear, precise and a joy to listen to. The fit is my preference.. with the cable over the ears, and they are so light and comfortable to wear. They are worth the money in every way.

To enforce and explain my comments; my previous (previous) headphones were the Phonak Audeo Perfect Bass PFE 012. Very clear, very nice to listen to, and the same fit .. over the ears, and light and comfortable too. However I was left wanting more bass (despite the name), and more volume. They did not go that loud. Also, the ear buds kept popping off,, which was irritating, and caused me to lose a couple. Getting replacements wasn't easy and despite the headphones still working (good build quality)... I replaced them.

My next pair of headphones were not the Sennheisers.. as I struggled to part with over 200 pounds, so I bought the Dre Tour Beats in ears.... at 130. Now these went loud, and had great bass. After a period of burn in (I think? Or maybe I just got used to them), they were pleasing. Good bass, loud volume.. but the fit and the weight of the headphones was.... not good. So uncomfortable after just 15 minutes, and you can't really walk / run etc with them in. They will fall out! Also the highs were harsh and there wasn't really a mid-range to speak of.

So after about 8 months, the cable on the Dre Beats frayed near the 3.5mm jack connector and I knew to buy something quick.

I bought the headphones I had always really wanted... the Sennheisers.. and well.. you know the rest. They have the clarity, the volume, the bass, the comfort.... They just do everything you want them to do, no compromise.

And that, eventually, was worth the money. (And actually would have saved me lots if I'd bought them sooner!)

3.0 out of 5 stars brilliant sound quality, 10 May 2013
the only reason why this headset is getting a 3 star and not 5 is because of the extremely poor build quality of the headphone jack. it has an inerrant issue with breaking and is flimsy at best resulting in sound only being produced either intermittently or just from 1 earphone.

the good news is that the cables are cover in manufacturers warentee and that after market cables are available. - if you are planning to use these just at home there wont be an issue. if you are using them for out and about use i guarantee the headphone jack will break. so keep your receipts.