5.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser HD-439 Headphones - Very Good Indeed
Published on 26 May 2012 by M. Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible
I've never considered myself as an audiophile, just someone who enjoys a good music from her laptop. Maybe I expected too much from this headphones. It's just an average headphone, you're better off with HD201. Not worth the money at all. The noise leaks out too much. You can only use this inside your house, or risk getting stares on the streets. And the sound is...
Published 5 months ago by Izzatie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser HD-439 Headphones - Very Good Indeed, 26 May 2012
M. Smith "MS" (UK, Midlands) - See all my reviews
First of all, I tried ordering a pair of Sennheiser HD-439 headphones from Amazon but was informed that the delivery could not be fulfilled for six months. No complaints about Amazon, they just weren't in stock and they were honest and upfront about that. Consequently I ordered them from Superfi and they arrived in two days with free delivery and at the same price offered on Amazon. Excellent service.

I have owned various sets of Sennheiser headphones over a period of over three decades and like all the others the HD-439 set does not disappoint.

Previously I have always preferred to use open back headphones as they tend to provide an airier, more natural and indeed more open sound. However I needed some closed back headphones to minimise sound leakage that is an inevitable problem with open back designs. After much research on the Sennheiser website and competitors websites I chose the Sennheiser HD-439. The main reasons were: Renowned Sennheiser sound quality; velour type ear pads; circumaural (around the ear) design; removable / replaceable cable; closed back design.

I don't like leatherette style ear pads, they tend to be less comfortable and can cause squeaky noises when moving, a problem that is minimised by the use of velour type pads. These are also replaceable on the HD-439's.

The fact that the cable is removable and replaceable is a good plus point. This thoughtful feature has been included on Sennheiser headphone designs since the 1960's and is present on the open back 5 series headphones. Sadly it is a feature that is not present on most of the closed back 4 series headphones - the HD-439 being a notable exception. The HD-439 headphones are helpfully supplied with two cables, one is 1.4 meters long and is good for use with an mp3 player or laptop for example. The second cable is 3 metres long and is good for use with a hi-fi or television.

Incidentally the cable is quite easy to un-plug and remove from the headphones - it's slightly tight, but with care the right-angled plug simply slides out of its 2.5mm socket. No tools are required.

I have previously avoided closed back headphones because some closed back designs can sound a little leaden, 'boxy' or 'shut in' in comparison with good open back 'phones. However despite being a closed back design the HD-439 sounds very good indeed with a clear mid range that has little in the way of 'boxiness' and good crisp, well extended treble and very deep bass response. The bass response, however, is not overblown, unnatural and overpowering. Music with lighter bass is handled with good articulation, but the bass extension of the HD-439 allows music that has really deep bass to sound powerful.

Admittedly the HD-439 does not have sound staging that is quite as open and airy as the open back HD-558, but for a less expensive closed back headphone I feel that it is remarkably good and certainly fits my requirements of very good sound quality with the benefit of minimal sound leakage.

Talking of the Sennheiser HD-558 brings a comparison of comfort and build quality. The HD-439 is a very comfortable headphone, but the ear cups are not quite a large as the HD-558. Whereas the HD-558 very easily surrounds the ear the moment it is placed on the head, the HD-439's slightly smaller diameter means that it takes just a second to move it into the most comfortable position, but once there I find 439's very comfortable with the cosy padded ear pads nicely encapsulating the outer ear and the padded headband adding extra comfort.

The materials used seem a little more lightweight than the HD-558 which may count against the HD-439 withstanding really heavy wear and tear - e.g. being carelessly chucked in ruck sacks and 'thrown around' on the bus, tube or train. However they feel sufficiently well constructed to withstand any normal and respectful use. After all these are high quality music transducers and any such instrument should be treated with due care. As such I can see nothing that I could take issue with the design, materials or quality of construction, certainly when using around the home on a hi-fi system, mp3 player or television.

All in all I cannot give the Sennheiser HD-439 headphones anything less than a firm 'thumbs up' and a full five stars. I would rate them good to very good in all areas. I am certainly very pleased and I feel sure most people requiring closed back headphones would also be very happy indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Headphones., 2 Feb 2013
I bought these headphones because sitting with IEM's in all day gets uncomfortable, I needed something that blocked out my house mates noise to a degree, I also want a level of sound quality.

So I own or previously owned: Razer megladon, Beyerdynamic MMX101i, HD201, technic's, SKPro, all the skull candy in ears, Steelseries In ears, and spent extended periods using Grado SR80, AKG k450.

Comfort: These are comfy, I've had them on for a short period but they feel good, and like I can wear them for long, this is nice when you stay up late working and don't wish to disturb those around you. They are light and fit right over my big ears. They feel a bit tighter than I was expecting, that being said headbands normally relax within a few weeks.

Build quality: Feels sturdy, the fabric is nice enough. The main thing is the cable - whilst I'd like a thicker cable for the long one, the fact that it's interchangeable is really nice, also means if you break the cable should be relatively easy to repair.

Sound: The most important part of headphones really, they sound good. It's by no means a revelation in sound, but I'm just using some £30 sound card, and a phone. The sound they produce sounds rather flat, plenty of mid, bass and high. Now let me iterate: they're not bassy, but they can handle bass I put on an eq and hear a bass boost. Good bass response doesn't mean bassy.

Volume: I saw a few people saying "these are not loud enough", "can't handle how loud I like it". These people are either dumb or using some ancient technology, these are 32ohm headphones, this means they are easy to drive, On my desktop I dare turn them to 50% at 30% I was starting to feel discomfort but I really felt like Sail-AWOLNATION. On my Phone and Tablet I wouldn't turn them to 100%.

Summary: £63 well spent. Good in all aspects and cheap.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good choice for the price, 29 Dec 2012
Joćo (Lisboa, Portugal) - See all my reviews
First of all, I'm not an audiophile and my experience with headphones is very limited. I bought these as a replacement for my old Panasonics (retailed for about 50). Altough I'm not an audiophile I think it is important to mention that I do not like headphones to particullarly emphasize any part of the sound spectum. Nowadays it seems like almost all of the reasonably priced headphones tend to enhance the bass over the treble and mid ranges. As this sennheiser advertises "Extend bass" I must admit I was a bit doubtful about byuing them. However, after reading some reviews, I decided to go for it. I've been listening to them for a few weeks now and I must say I'm very pleased with them.
The construction quality is what it's suppose for this kind of price I think; not sturdy as a rock but not flimsy or excessively fragile as well. It doesn't creek when placed in your head or anything like that so I think it's built well enough.
The confort is unbeatable. The cloth cushions are far more confortable than the fake leather ones (more common at this price range). The ears never overheat and you don't get easily tired of having the headphones on.
Now in terms of sound: The overall sound is very clear and music is generally laid out with good detail. The "extended bass" is true but it isn't in a overpowering way. It's not like the overall sound is more "bassy" or muddy but the low frequencies (and just those) are taken a bit lower than what one might expect. The bass is therefore powelful, full e "round", but now and then somehow loose and with a small lack of punchiness to it. The treble is cristal clear and with no harshness at all. The mid frequencies are in my oppinion the best of the lot, very smooth and pleasing. As a consequence, listening to classical music is a joy on these things, with a fair amount of depth and spacious imaging as well.
As I mentioned before, I'm not an expert, and when it comes to sound, it's really a matter of personal taste. But if you're not a bass head (if you are, I suggest you look elsewhere), if you like balanced music and don't want to spend a lot on a pair of decent headphones, then these are a good choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant Hit on the Ears!, 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: Sennheiser HD439 Ergonomic Closed-Back Stereo Over-Ear Headphones with Outstanding Bass Performance (Electronics)
These only arrived a couple of hours ago and have been clamped to my head ever since as I listen to some great sounds from a tiny mp3 (Zen Stone). I am impressed that they can be driven to a "louder than I need" volume from a tiny device; less that the size of one ear cup on these headphones.

Initial impressions the sound is great with well defined range across a 2hr random selection of rock & pop. I need to head downstairs later for comparison against the HD-595 (big brother open backed) for ultimate sound quality but these are for a different purpose.

The fit is a little tighter than the 595 but not uncomfortable - a little wriggle as noted by another reviewer and they sit firmly against the sides of the head. Noise isolation is good even without input, and with input these are blocking out all the background sounds here (at mid-range volume) - which the open backed design does not. I shall ask later about sound leakage outwards - this was the main point for use after everyone else is asleep!

Ear pads are the velour type which I find MUCH more comfortable - certainly no problem in 2 hours so far. They are "tight" to the head but not uncomfortably so.

Cable is replaceable which I held as a high requirement when buying.

No regrets with these on the comfort or the audio quality and will update in a few days on the comparison with 595, but they are about half the price!

Update - second day - there is almost no sound leakage from this headphones which is great for "late nights" when all in the house are asleep (and in the office). Fit remains extremely comfortable after a 4hr listening session last night. For those with "large heads" there is no problem here the adjustment works well to cover my "large" head and equally well my 10yr old daughter (who now wants a pair to replace her "kids headphones").

The only difference I can immediately tell from the HD 595 is that they do feel enclosed if that does not sound "obvious" - and it could be perception, it is not a bad feeling but it they are different. It is not the sound stage either, that extends well and picks out sounds from an orchestra and the crowds in live concert recordings, giving a spatial feeling that extends way outside the headphones.

4.0 out of 5 stars good value, good quality, 12 Jan 2014
Aj Stephenson - See all my reviews
These cans have a nicely balanced sound.
Bass is present, well rounded and well represented, without being overblown.

Good for those who want a properly balanced sound and not for those who are just looking for thudding bass.

Mid and high range are also very good, no tinniness, sharpness or distortion.

Overall sound is slightly on the warm side.
Don't expect to be blown away by them, just quietly impressed.

Aesthetically, these are not the prettiest headphones and their looks won't draw any admirers.

The cable is detachable/replaceable (good), but as the earcup end has a proprietary connector, you can only replace with a cable from sennheiser (disappointing).
Personally, I would have preferred a right angle jack rather than a straight one, but is hasn't proved to be a major issue.

If you want cans that give good quality, properly balanced sound, these are a good choice... And at the low price they are on the market, they are an EXCELLENT choice.

For any headphone noobs out there, don't waste your money on Beats... Yeah, they look cooler, but really are poor value for what you pay (don't take my word for it - do some research on specialist headphone websites).
Be different and get the quiet respect these cans will bring you.

ADDITIONAL NOTE: The velour effect earcups are very comfortable compared to the faux leather ones you often get. However, if you wear them outside and get caught in the pouring rain, they are going to get very soggy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Near flawless, 14 Feb 2013
Absolutely excellent product, almost flawless. The only small criticism I can come up with is slightly plasticky build quality (but that only serves to make them light). Aside from that, crystal sound clarity, astounding comfort... What more can I say? Well done sennheiser.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!!, 22 Aug 2014
Tim Grenville-Cleave (Dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I wanted a set of 'Over-ear' Headphones as I find them the most comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. These fit the bill perfectly, very comfy and not too heavy and easy to adjust for a comfortable fit. The ability to remove the cable is, in my opinion, a very big bonus, being able to swap between the short (ideal for using at the PC) and the extended cable supplied when plugged into my Hi Fi. It also means you can stow them away without wrapping the cable around them. As far as their audio reproduction goes, they suit my own personal music tastes. Good Bass response without deadening the upper ranges. (My military background and liking for Loud Heavy Rock has, perhaps, dulled my hearing slightly. Build quality is, as ever with Sennheiser, top notch. Do I recommend these? You bet I do, If you want well made good quality without breaking the bank, get a pair of these. You could spend a whole bucket load more and get no better sound reproduction. If of course, you pride yourself on being able to recognize small nuances in Orchestral Recordings then you may consider these not up to your standard. For my everyday use these fit the bill exactly. Having used them I would happily pay another £25-30 on top. They are that good folks!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, just don't expect performance to match a £200+ set!, 17 Sep 2014
Bought these because I wanted a decent, but not too expensive pair of headphones primarily for listening to music via PC/phone and also for plugging into a ps4 controller to listen to game audio without annoying people in the house. The only two pairs of headphones I have much experience with start with a pair of AKG K514mkii's, which to be honest sound fairly similar to me - this is a good thing! Nice clear sound with just enough bass and very comfortable. And secondly, a pair of Grado SR225i's which I stupidly sold a year ago. Unfortunately, you really can tell the difference with the grado's. Even to my non-audiophile ears, the more expensive 225's were far, far more detailed and brought out a lot more when it comes to both instruments and vocal nuances. But they were also very uncomfortable and expensive, neither of which apply to these 439's. Overall I'm pleased with the purchase and for the price I feel they're a good sounding pair of headphones. If you're thinking of purchasing these then I'd highly recommend you go for it, and check out the aforementioned AKG's which I believe are pretty much comparable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 2 Dec 2013
Rasmus T. H. Ųstergaard (Aalborg, Denmark) - See all my reviews
I bought these cans at 1/3 retail price on a sale about a year ago, and i have to say that iv'e never owned anything this good.
The sound was not exceptional, but good enough for most uses, but what really made me love them was the comfort. I could wear these headphones for days straight.
The build quality is quite alright, but not really a sales point

all in all i give these cans 8.5/10 because the lowered sound quality and build quality

5.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser HD439, 9 Feb 2013
Sennheiser HD439
great headphones would recomened to a friend any day of the week.
may by another for set work.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›