5.0 out of 5 stars Theses are "the one" - and I tried out loads
The HD219s are really natural. They are the first headphones that I do not want to tweak with the equaliser.

I use them most when commuting by train, with a portable MP3 player, a Sansa Clip+.

Published 10 months ago by John Penfold

These headphones are designed for use with a portable music player like an iPod. The sound quality is good - as you might expect from a strong brand like Sennheiser - but not great, the bass in particular being weak (a more expensive version of these headphones is available `with dynamic bass response').

Positives: lightweight, reasonably robust, and the...
Published 17 months ago by The Guardian

5.0 out of 5 stars Theses are "the one" - and I tried out loads, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser HD 219 On-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)

Vocals are spot-on: very realistic and full. The treble is brilliant - the veil is well and truly lifted. Metallic clicks and cymbals sound like metallic clicks and cymbals rather than baking paper.

They separate-out different instruments amazingly. So much so that I can 'hear' the different channels that are mixed in some of my 70's pop songs.

They do not have a bass boom, so I initially missed the one-tone thump-thump-thump that my other bass-heavy headphones (Colouds and Koss Porta-Pro) give to some music. But they render bass with greater subtlety and they do go as deep, although it initially sounded like they were bass-light. Other, more expensive, headphones can give better very low bass, but that sort of bass is only present in the odd recording. I am a bit of a geek here and have recordings of things like 5hz to 20hz sine waves to help probe the bass.

What was really telling was listening to "Virtual hair Cut" and some other 3D demo recordings on You-Tube. Gone were the false bass "booms" from things like striking a match and closing a door: Striking a match sounded exactly like ... striking a match. And closing a door sounded exactly like closing a door. That's what I mean by "natural". My six year old daughter kept taking them off to tell whether the sound was coming from the recording or was in the room.

They power up just as well on my portable player as my desktop. Some other headphones sound a bit tired on my portable player compared to my desktop.

Volume-wise, they play most songs well at half-volume on my Clip+ so they are easily sensitive enough for me.

Sound-isolation is OK and I listen to them on my daily commute by train.

I listened to loads of headphones in PC world and Arnotts (a store in Ireland) before going for these and here is my experience of some other brands:

Sennheiser, in general, seem over-priced compared to other Brands. But the HD219's stood out in the cheap end of Sennheiser's range. I thought that they must have got the price wrong at first. All the other cheap 'Sennies' had major limitations but these ones just clicked and I preferred them to many seriously expensive headphones. I must admit that I did fall in love with the Sennheiser Momentums. But I didn't have the 300 quid to pay for them.

My listening experience really showed that Dr Beats headphones are an expensive joke.

The range that impressed me most, under 100 quid, are the mid-range Panasonics. For around 50 quid, there is a choice of really good headphones, with different strengths. I would recommend listening to some 'Pannys' if you are looking to pay between 50 and 100 quid. In fact I was debating which Panny to go for when the salesman in PC World drove me out by playing loud music next to the headphone stand and I went to Arnotts and found these, which just hit the spot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight and simple., 3 Mar 2013
Bought these headphones sometime ago. They're really lightweight and comfortable even with eyeglasses. Even though they're really small and fit over the ear just about, the outside noise is dampened quite well, but there are better closed headphones with noise isolation out there.
The sound quality is quite good overall, the bass could be a little stronger though in my opinion.
If the jack in these was L-shaped they would be perfect... but it's not, it's way too long and bulky and can snap in a tight pocket easily.
The ear pads are removable and I found that if you snap the ear pads off and take this little piece of foam out of there the pads become softer and then seal themselves better on the ear.

Overall it's good pair of headphones for the prize.

4.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB CLARITY BUT LACKS BASS, GREAT FOR AUDIO BOOKS AND SOME MUSIC, BUT IF YOU LIKE YOUR BASS THESE ARE NOT FOR YOU, 26 Mar 2013
Helpless "Helpless" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm actually a great fan of in ear head phones, I really like the way they cancel out external noise, at the moment my favourites are Klipsch S4's when I want more bass and Klipsch x10's because of their clarity when I listen audio books. This is a radical departure for me and the last time I had a set like these must have been 6 or 7 years ago.

My initial impression of these Sennheisers was their fit. The headphones do not encase your ears, they sit on top of them. The larger your head the more the top padding of the headphones will 'square off'. Try this by pulling them apart a little, you will notice that the top band and padding straightens. The result of is that the band doesn't quite spread the fit/pressure over the top of your head enough, it can feel like there is one small pressure point the size of your finger on the top of your head. After wearing them for a while they become uncomfortable and I have to move the band forward and backwards to change the point at which it presses on the top of my head. Those of you with a smaller head size may not have this problem. The headphones themselves are pleasantly light weight.

The remote control is placed around 15cm below the left ear piece on the single wire. The remote is less than a cm wide and just over 2cm long. It has a tiny button that can double as an answer button or forward your music tracks. There is a slider switch for the volume.
It takes a little getting used to, because you cannot see the remote you may find yourself grabbing the wire and trying to find it. Obviously with use this will change. I did find the volume control fiddly, the slider switch is recessed making it less obvious to find by touch.

The single wire is quite thin but appears to be robust, I've given the wire a good tug and twist and it has stood up to the abuse. I cannot comment on the long term wear, but if looked after it should stand up to general, but looked after, wear and tear.

I have used these headphones with iTunes on an iPod, iPhone and a Macbook Pro to try and get a feel of how they perform.
Initial impressions are good. The music clarity is superb at low to medium music volume though at higher settings they can get a little strained but to be honest at the maximum settings you'll probably damage your hearing.

I found them very good for listening to audio books, they are exceptionally clear and balanced. They also suited Johnny Cash's Hurt and The Girl from the North Country and Bob Dylans The Times they are A-Changing and If Not For You.

However, when playing Spiderbait, Nickelback, ELO, Flo Rider and Fall Out Boy as a comparator the headphones showed some short comings. There was a distinct lack of bass, though the clarity of the music was superb. 'I Don't Care' was all cymbals and snares, it lacked oomph and that made the music feel lifeless and without a soul.

No one set of headphones or earphones can do everything for everyone and listening to music is also a very personal experience so this is just my personal perception. I do think they are a good quality set of headphones but with some caveats. Some may say that I have not given them time to 'burn in', but with over ten hours of use I think that they have had enough time.

They lack that versatility should have varied music tastes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, comfortable even with glasses, 6 Jan 2014
Y. Robin (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sennheiser HD 219 On-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
I love these. I was hesitating between several types of headphones, and bought these after trying them in an airport. The sound is great. They are really comfortable. Because the ear covers are relatively small and flat, these headphones are very comfortable if you wear glasses, which isn't the case for larger cans that completely encapsulate your ears (they can push on the frame of your glasses and hurt your ears after a while).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality; Not enough bass, 10 May 2012
The headphones mid and treble quality is crisp clear however there is not enough bass. If you do you like your bass the best EQ setting for iPod is 'Small Speaker@ as even in bass boost there highs and mids are still rather overpowering.
However these headphomes are pretty useless on android devices as there is no proper setting on the music player of the application 'Poweramp'.
It has a very comfortable fit but takes a bit of ti,me to get used to as I have experienced some pain on my ears whilst wearing these on a 4 hour train journey.
The noise cancellation memory foam pads prove to work rather effectively cancelling out some rather loud noises (e.g. London Underground)
Overall the music clarity is very good however the lack of bass lets this product down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 6 July 2013
Very lightweight. and give excellent sound quality.

Two points to note are: the lead is rather short. Ok for my applications though.

They may be slightly flimsy and might not stand up to rough usage e.g. portable outdoor use.

Neither of these apply to me but worth bearing in mind.

T headband fit is light but fits well. The sound quality is (in my opinion) quite superb at this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super crystal clear/very sharp sound - a metallic hit or ..., 20 Sep 2014
Natural sounding.
Super crystal clear/very sharp sound - a metallic hit or cymbal is very sharp.
Bass just goes in when it is required, but overall it's very sharp and less bassy.
It's very high quality sound and can be good to hear each sound with how it is meant to be.
It's still really nice and hi-fi for listening to music on computer or so.
It's closed back so really no one will hear your music except if you play it at a ear-destroying volume. I would be careful.
The plug piece has fell off but no wire is broken or unhidden so it's fine. I've had this half a year now.
There is no destroyment of sound quality, it's really good built so if it gets dropt it still survived for me quite a lot, but if you don't pull the volume dial to the max, stereo separation may fall off.
Other than that it's all perfect.
You can actually yes use it as a hi-fi accessory with a volume boosting amp, for devices that have low volume like iPod (i use FiiO E6).

I bought this from Currys, not Amazon, but i would like to share my review here to help others who are looking for cheap hi-fi headphones. Hope it helps

3.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser HD 219 phones: smart remote control feature, but pricey and overall just OK, 26 April 2013
The Guardian (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Positives: lightweight, reasonably robust, and the excellent `remote control' moulded onto the cable which enables you to pause/play/skip/ etc. without handling the music player. The single wire to one side only means they're a bit simpler to wear and use than models with a wire to each ear, and the earpieces block out intrusive sounds from the environment quite well - but some sound does 'leak' to potentially annoy others with whom you may be sharing space & who may not share your taste in music.

Possible negatives: the phones use a sprung band across the top of the head to keep them in place, and in my experience this can irritate the head after a while because the `fit' does not allow enough room for maneuver. The aforementioned poor bass delivery will only be an issue with certain kinds of music and the more demanding listener, but an issue it most certainly is. Finally the price is rather high for an imperfect product, and you may get something for less which performs equally well; part of the asking price is doubtless for the remote control, a useful feature but possibly not worth the extra money for some buyers.

Overall: just OK for the asking price; not outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet!, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser HD 219 On-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
Lovely headphones - very comfy on the ears and the noise reduction is good - sound quality awesome for the price,

5.0 out of 5 stars best headphones I have had for listening to music on my phone, 23 Mar 2013
Musicfan (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I used to think it really didn't matter how much one spent on headphones because there wouldn't be sufficient difference to justify the extra cost. i learnt some years ago that is of course rubbish. These headphones provide a really quite superb sound from my phone. Although I am not really into base, it is about the best I have heard on a pair of headphones. The treble (much more important to me) is clear, crisp and detailed. They are comfortable to wear. Surrounding noise is mimimised effectively. The volume control on the lead is handy and the microphone effective. Excellent and highly recommended.

Sennheiser HD 219 On-Ear Headphones - Black