Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 9 May 2013
This DVD is awesome!!!

The band are on form here and Scotts voice is near perfect! The set list consists of greatest hits which lasts about an hour and twenty minutes, starting with Vaseline all the way to Trippin on a hole in a paper heart!

Granted, Scott strutts across the stage like a drunk at your local boozer, but he somehow makes it work!! Your eyes never leave him and as soon as that deep vibrato style vocal kicks in, you can only forgive his 'Mick Jagger' dancing!!!

You don't find bands like this anymore nor a man who was born to be a frontman!!

As I say, this is amazing! The vocals and guitar are nice and clear and DONT clash and not once did I think like I normally do 'Ahhhh, why couldn't they have the guitar just a little louder?' its perfectly recorded!!

The only thing I have noticed but its no biggy, is I THINK. . . . 1 or 2 tracks have had the vocals re-done as it goes a little outta sync! I could be wrong but if im not, it really doesn't matter and you can't really notice it, it still sounds live so. . . . . =]

I recommend if you like any kind of rock music, give it a try =] Its VERY entertaining!!!! Its just a shame its all just fell apart again!!!

Enjoy
on 26 April 2015
I admit that I purchased this Stone Temple pilots dvd of Stone Temple Pilots Alive In The Windy City on April 9, 2015. However, I have previously been familiar with the music of Stone Temple Pilots for quite some time due to the fact that a family member generously gifted me with the Tiny Music Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop by Stone Temple Pilots around the time I was 16 years old. Additionally, the alternative rock station I frequently listened to from the time I was around 14 until I was 19 (radio station Q101 that was based out of Chicago, Illinois until I moved away after enlisting in the U.S. navy in 2000)often played various songs by Stone Temple Pilots. I even purchased and reviewed the Thank You cd on September 13, 2009 after coming across STP greatest hits compilation in a local Orlando Florida library a couple miles from the University of Central Florida (I left the review on the Amazon UK website). Purchasing this dvd is well worth is because the band’s music harmonizes well with Scot Weiland’s vocals in the concert performance. With this said, I also enjoy music by Linkin Park and have even purchased their recent Hunting Party cd at my job over six months ago. I’m well aware I may get some unhelpful votes for this because it is not a popular sentiment. However, using the name of Stone Temple Pilots without Scott Weiland’s powerful music vocals is akin to taking Mike Shinoda or Chester Bennington out of Linkin Park and still calling them Linkin Park. Back to the dvd set, many of the classic hits by Stone Temple Pilots are included on this dvd; Vasoline, Wicked Garden, Big Empty, Sour Girl, Creep, Plush, Interstate Love Song etc. (18 songs). My favorite songs cd wise from Stone Temple Pilots are Wicked Garden, Plush, and Vaseline. The band gave their best unified performance in this dvd concert edition and I would have to say that these were some of my favorite performances concert wise even though the songs have a melancholy tune; Sour Girl, Interstate Love Song, Dead and Bloated, and Trippin On A Hole In a Paper Heart (which is also the closing song on the concert dvd). There is also a bonus feature of an interview with STP.
on 28 May 2013
As one who can say he has followed this band since the beginning, i bought this dvd really hoping it would blow me away. I really wanted to see STP finally get it together and make up for a career blighted by upheaval and inconsistency.

But for me, all this show does is underline the latter. STP are obviously influenced by and aspire to be a 'classic' rock band (like Led Zep etc) but it saddens me to say that they will probably never be regarded as such. They're a decent band, but no more. Scott Weiland is a good frontman but he only has average pipes and will never challenge the likes of Robert Plant or Freddie Mercury in the greatest ever front man polls. Dean De Leo is a competent guitarist, but as his short and unmemorable soloing in this show demonstrates, can't hold a candle to the Jimmy Page's of this world. Eric Kretz is a solid, but unspectacular drummer. Robert de Leo is a good bass player, but who really takes notice of the bass player anyway?

Then we come to the music itself. The biggest problem here is that the band don't change or extend the songs in any way whatsoever. They are pretty much exactly as they appear on the albums. I was always under the impression that this breaks the live show's golden rule; if the songs are presented on stage more or less as they are in their original form, the fans may as well stay at home and put the records on. I have one or two reservations about sing choices too; rocking numbers that were surely built for live shows such as 'Silvergun Superman' and 'Loves Pop Suicide' are left out in favour of 'Sour Girl' and 'Lounge Fly' which don't really work in the live setting for me.

So are there actually any positives? Well, its a competent show, certainly. But just not spectacular in the way AC/DC put on a show or the way Queen used to put on a show. Its worth seeing, but I doubt its a dvd you'll be reaching for all that often when the urge for live music takes hold. But as this is the only official live dvd release, staunch STP fans don't have much choice if they want to see the band in action. Its either this or nothing, and its better than nothing. But as I say, it could have been so much more.
on 13 March 2016
This is a fantastic concert by Stone Temple Pilots and Scott Weiland is on top form; obviously not under the influence of anything. Picture quality is superb and I was pleased with the selection of tracks covered. Highly recommended.
on 12 July 2012
Anybody with even a passing interest in this band surely knows the past drug mis-demeanours of the lead singer Scott Weiland. I personally loved this band in my formative years and probably always will so I think I can give a review of this concert.
Truth be told, the musicianship is faultless, Dean, Rob, Eric and Scott nail it on every song, music wise it's hard to find fault. The problems for myself arise in the spaces between the songs when Scott speaks, the man needs help or more help than he is receiving. Drugs, alcohol whatever he is under the influence of he is going down a losing road. Decent concert but just felt sad about Scott to be honest, just a puppet going through the motions now. If your a long time fan fine still worth a watch.
on 1 March 2016