5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little camera
Published on 17 Jan 2012 by Ninjagnome

3.0 out of 5 stars Carry a back up.
Its a very good camera but don't go on holiday or similar without a back up.I've just been on holiday and finally after nearly two years I got the dreaded lens error on the first day. I bought a second camera (Nikon 3100) so still got some great pics. Now back home Canon are repairing the camera out of warranty for free so no real harm done. Other people may not have been...
Published 3 months ago by Captain Ian

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little camera, 17 Jan 2012
This review is from: Canon PowerShot S100 Digital Camera - Black (12.1MP, Ultra Wide Angle, 5x Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD (Electronics)
Have read a lot of mixed comments elsewhere about the S100 but most of the negative ones seem to be by people who look at their computer screen more than through a lens! Have owned several Canon (primarily) dSLRs, IXUSx and Powershots and have to say this is the best small camera so far used. The feature-set is extensive and allows a high degree of manual override (although as others have pointed out, any exposure which is between 1to15sec causes ISO to default to 80 regardless of setting. This can be irksome in some more specialist situations, although in others its quite useful), customization plus a host of automatic\creative options for both still and video. I particularly like the HDR function which is subtle rather than dynamic, but definitely needs a steady hand\tripod - for true HDR though, auto-bracketing and post processing will still be necessary. Also, using the customizable 'O' ring around the lens makes for quick adjustment depending on mode and is pleasantly intuitive. It is worth reading the DPReview review ([...]) for its lab test etc. Apparently some of the pre-release models had focus shift due to lens misalignment, but not found this, in fact the lens seems pretty constant across its range . The camera shines in low light (not literally) and found the results better than on the well regarded Olympus XZ-1 (which is also a great camera, but owning an E-P3 already didn't tempt me). The JPG engine works well as does noise reduction, but RAW is there when needed. The only negative is battery life, even with GPS switched off, which usually requires a re-charge after 3-4 hours of shooting\fiddling. I got a second battery (non-Canon) to compensate but have noticed that after a couple of full charges, battery life seemed to improve a bit - not sure if it needs to self-calibrate?

Of the 3 cameras I have been tempted by recently - Olympus XZ-1, Fuji X10 and S100, the latter was the ONE. I have wanted something that would replace a beloved Powershot G11 in a smaller form factor and this is it.

Sadly I couldn't purchase directly from Amazon (at the time of writing due to availability constraints) so had to bite the bullet at a local high street store for the higher RRP price - actually handling one was the decider!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Decent Successor to my F30, 25 May 2012
I had been putting off upgrading my Fuji F30 for many years as I did not think that anyone had yet managed to best its low light capabilities. I had been interested in the s90 and the s95 for some time but never really felt it was worth the upgrade. I finally bought the s100 for its video capabilities as much as its photographic ones in order to capture those family moments when my 60D wasn't to hand, or inappropriate. My main reservation was the reportedly low battery life, being used to a very long battery life on the F30.

I have to say I'm impressed all round. The video is superb, actually seems to be better than my 60D. Size and handling is perfect, and that ring is really useful. Image quality in bright sunlight is comparable with SLR images, and the low light capability is on par with my F30 (ie class leading). I find the extra focal length helpful as well, although its only really worth using in sunshine as its f 5.9 at the long end. Finally the battery life is actually quite acceptable. I havn't run out yet, despite shooting video and photos quite actively for a large part of the day.

Comes highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent small camera with a lot of potential, 29 April 2012
Chris (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
My main camera is a Canon 7D (SLR) with several different lenses. If I want to go out for a walk, and take my camera with me, I need to take a dedicated backpack, which, if I take all my accessories, weighs nearly 10kg. For long walks, this is quite a killer!

This is where the S100 enters the picture. I was looking for something pocketable, that didn't weigh a tonne, yet didn't restrict me in photographic versatility.

I originally contemplated the G12, however its size was an issue (bit too chunky!), and the other deciding factor was that it only shoots 720p HD. I also considered the S95 for its size, but again the 720p video was an issue. In the end I opted for the S100 as I am intending on using the video on the camera a lot, complete with a waterproof housing! (I'll update the review with some sample footage once I have it!).

Rather than cover the same old ground that other reviews have mentioned regarding technical details, here are my own thoughts, as an SLR user wanting a small,light camera.

SHAPE AND WEIGHT
================
Nice and small, as expected. The metal construction makes it feel a tad heavier than similarly sized plastic-made cameras, but to me it's not an issue, the material will be stronger, and having some weight behind it is reassuring.

FUNCTIONS
=========
The camera packs a lot into its small frame. There are a lot of options to choose from. I usually shoot on my SLR in Manual or Av mode, and expected to do the same with this camera. However I am quite impressed with the auto mode, and likely will leave it on Auto for spur of the moment shots!

EASE OF USE
===========
There's a bit of a learning curve, as Canon has followed other manufacturers, putting the manual on a CD, rather than giving you an instantly accessible paper manual. Thankfully most functions are fairly straight forward and intuitive. The main thing which will require time and practice is learning which settings the camera controls automatically in which modes.

It is a bit slow in low light, and recording images takes time, even with a Class 10 card in. However my previous Olympus Tough camera took just as long, so it's not really an issue.

IMAGE QUALITY
=============
Can't fault it for a compact really. Any differences between it and my 7D's images are only noticeable if you are really scrutinising the image. And lets face it, if you are looking at image quality at that detail, you'd be using an SLR for (semi)professional purposes.

VIDEO
=====
A quick note on the video. Due to various restrictions, the camera will record video up to a maximum of 29 minutes 59 seconds, or until the file reaches 4gb in size. If shooting in HD, this will take around either 16 minutes (1080p) or 24 minutes (720p). The HD video is very impressive in quality.

CONCLUSION
==========
I've very happy with this camera, and am looking forward to having a camera that is small enough to always have with me. I don't really have any complaints. Continuous shooting and recording images could be a bit quicker, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars S100 - Excellent High End Point and Shoot, 24 Feb 2012
I have been looking for a good second camera to use when my Nikon D7000 is just too cumbersome to take out. I also do a lot of running so having something small and practical but could give good quality images was essential. I have owned an X100 and that is a brilliant camera but limited by the fixed lens. I also looked at the Canon G12 and Nikon P7100 but they do not fit easily into a pocket or the waistband of my day sack. So after a bit of research I discovered the Canon S100 - it is excellent in almost every respect if you get it for the right reasons.

It is not an X100 but can compete easily with the G12/ P7100/ X10. For those who usually use a DSLR you will not be disappointed with the images - there is little noise up to ISO 800 and the quality of the images is excellent. The camera comes with all the software necessary to process RAW images and organise your files. Startup is very quick and the auto focus is also very quick. There is a tracking mode which can deliver some good results. The optical zoom range is good enough for most situations that you would be using this camera for. There is a manual mode where both shutter and aperture can be altered however the aperture will automatically adjusted when you use the zoom - so no fully manual mode. I have to say this was not a big disadvantage for me but clearly may put others off. The battery life is pretty poor as with no view finder you are reliant on the LCD screen. You can expect to get about 200 - 250 photos out of one battery if you don't spend too long viewing your shots.

For those who just want a high end point and shoot the auto mode is very good. The dial around the lens is a great idea and is solidly built, like the rest of the camera. Even though the body is a lot smaller than an X100 the controls that are on the back are easier to use. The mode selection dial and lens ring click reassuringly when used and the in-camera functions are easy to use and find after a couple of practices. Although it is small and looks like a normal compact point and shoot you know you have something a little special when you are using it. It is not a DSLR and it will not give you the quality of a full sensor sized camera. It will however fit in your pocket which means you will never be without a camera so you will always be able to capture a shot and get it developed up to A4/ A3 size. If you want an advanced point and shoot for high quality images that you can genuinely take anywhere when a DSLR is impractical then this is the camera for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality pocket camera; more suited to photography enthusiasts, 17 Dec 2012
Dean Marshall "DJM" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is a great pocket camera for the photographic enthusiast. It takes great quality images for a pocket camera with especially good low light performance. The S100 offers easy manual control and the availability of RAW format. However the average video quality, price and limited zoom mean that it is only recommended to photographic enthusiasts. If you are looking for a high quality general point and shoot camera then look elsewhere. Cautious Recommendation.

Pros
Build quality: well made, feels solid and is very compact.
Usability: Easy to use menus and good in camera controls, especially for manual adjustments. It supports RAW files for photographic enthusiasts. Small niggle is that fingers or thumb can get in the way of the pop-up flash.
Image quality: The image quality is top notch for a pocket camera. The larger sensor and low aperture lens means that low light scenes are captured very well with much less noise at higher sensitivities (ISO values) than any other pocket camera that I have used. This also helps with image sharpness of moving objects.

Cons
Video: Video is very average for such an expensive piece of kit. If you are going to be taking lots of video then look elsewhere.
Battery life: the battery takes a few charges to maximise its longevity, but even then I get less than 200 shots on a full charge, so you will need to buy a spare.
Expensive: the S100 is expensive for a point and shoot camera and is only justified if image quality and compactness are your main priorities, otherwise I would look elsewhere.
Limited zoom: only has 5x zoom. I personally don't think this is a problem as an 8 to 12 times zoom on a pocket camera tends to produce poor quality images.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply amazing, 27 Sep 2012
I had the S95 and it got stolen the night of my graduation, i said ohhhhh goshhh i lost my precious camera!!! but then i said, you know what??? im gonna be thankful for having my expensive s95 and my precious pictures stolen by whoever got my camera, and i'm going to go and get the S100 which is the newest model of the S series and should be much better.

Well let me tell u that this S100 is amazing, it is worth upgrading from the s95 and if the silver one (perhaps more like a champagne color) is cheaper, then buy the silver one!!!!! black or silver or even if it was pink, i dont care!!!!! the quality of the pics is exactly the same!

Incredible pictures, incredible HD videos, this is the perfect camera for anyone wanting to have professional results with a point and shoot camera.

Thanks for your lovely attention,

Everyone is amazing, much love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still fine camera, 1 Sep 2013
J. Gizinski (Warsaw, Poland) - See all my reviews
I'm a "late buyer" because now you can find newer cameras with similar parameters, but im my opinion the s100 is still one of the best pocketable cameras money can buy (especially as its price is quite reasonable nowadays). I owned an s95 before which I gave to my daughter, but the camera was so good that I bought its younger brother to replace it. Shortly: the s100 retained all fine features of s95 adding wider (and sharper at longer end) lens and GPS. The new sensor is bigger as well, but it doesn't add much to picture quality. The battery life is its most serious drawback, but you can buy a spare battery for just some bucks. If you look for a fine and reasonably priced small camera grab it without hesitation. The next step on quality ladder is probably sony rx100, but expect double price and somehow bigger size. The final argument in case of a camera is always a picture quality, and from this point of view this small but clever device will not disappoint you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, 3 April 2013
Got this second hand for an upcoming holiday and despite the camera not being in as good a state as advertised it still takes amazing pictures and gives you enough options to play around with while working very well in auto mode. Close up shots give you a nice blurred background as well :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Canon S100 Camera IF you BUY the Warranty, 19 Dec 2012
Ms S Anderson (Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The Canon Camera S100 is the best for picture quality, size, weight and ease of use, fast enough to capture the fun of dancing at ceilidhs in Scotland with flying kilts in poor light and use the photos on the website. Having to pay to repair a known lens fault is NOT ACCEPTABLE when the camera is less than 1 year old - wish I'd paid for the warranty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little Camera, 14 April 2012
Having used the S95 for a while and loved it, I decided to buy the S100 as I wanted a wider lens and the GPS appealed as I travel a lot and iPhoto and Aperture use the GPS data.

During recent travels around Asia I took my D300S and S100 and to be honest the D300S hardly got used. To be honest the D300S is in a great camera but it's much more of pain to carry around and I wanted something that would go in my pocket.

The results from the S100 are superb for a small camera and it travels with me most places due to it's size. At the end of the day it's a trade off between size and performance.

Pros: Superb compact camera with great results. Build quality superb.
Cons: Found Continuous mode a bit slow.

Conclusion: Would recommended it for anyone wanting a serious compact camera. Is it a DSLR killer - No of course not but it's a trade off between size and specification and it's much cheaper than a DSLR.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›