5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent digital piano - best in price range
Published on 2 May 2012 by jazzrobot

3.0 out of 5 stars not what I expected
I bought this product because I was led to believe it is somewhat similar to a real piano, but please do not be fooled into making the same mistake as I did. This digital piano is nothing more than that, if you want a real piano feel, better invest in a real piano as this was quite a disappointing purchase.

The keys are hard to press, and they take a while to...
Published 5 months ago by irina.i

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent digital piano - best in price range, 2 May 2012
This review is from: Casio CDP-120 Scaled Hammer Action Contemporary Digital Piano (Electronics)
Received my Casio CDP-120 yesterday after having it on pre-order, and although the box was a little shabby, the keyboard itself is excellent. It has a nice weighted action, as similar to a real piano as I have played on in this price range. The grand piano sound is very nice and sounds rich and clear. The digital piano sound is quite nice, but the others aren't much to my taste, sounding a little too synthetic. This isn't a big problem for me, though, as the USB midi-out is a great little feature that means this interfaces well into the iPad or PC.

It's quite large, as in deep and high, but I guess that's what the scaled weighted action requires.

Overall, I don't think you can find better for the 300 mark in the current market.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality for not much outlay, 20 Feb 2013
Some people are probably a bit funny about Casio whatever the product, probably because of what their home keyboards were like twenty years ago, even though nowadays a Casio home keyboard has better samples than a pro synth from 1990 by a long shot - how terrible the Roland D50 sounds now. Not having the prejudice about Casio I chose this over the Yamaha and Roland equivalents and am 95% happy with this piano. The weighted keys have a great authentic feel to me, the sound and the reverbs are lovely. I really only wanted a piano so the extra sounds don't bother me - the strings are quite good with reverb and mild chorus but the extra piano sound isn't up to much, though it does make a better fit if you're mixing it and the electronic piano sound for a layered sound, which maybe is the intention. Through headphones it is not loud enough with my Fiio headphone amp. I seldom use the speakers out of consideration for my neighbours and general self-consciousness about my stumbling efforts. The speakers are good but not great - it's not a rich sound but this is maybe to be expected for the money and no inconvenience to me. If I'd known I would be able to afford it in my current short term change of circumstances I would possibly have got a Korg for twice the money with better speakers that is more furniture-like, but overall I have no regrets and the piano will get many years of use from me. I was surprised at the width and weight after owning several synths and home keyboards but it's going to stay where it has been since the day it arrived, so no bother. I may buy the official stand in time though I think I'd like to see that in the flesh first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio CDP-120, 10 Feb 2013
I would recommend this product to anyone. i previously had a 61 key keyboard and as a learner had reached a stae where i need a full sized 88. this is brilliant product which feels great to play, which in turn has encouraged me to practice more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 9 Feb 2013
Excellent service and a tremendous product. The quality of sound is fantastic and the keys imitate a traditional piano perfectly

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 5 Sep 2012
At 20, I have decided to start piano lessons, I was looking around at key boards and digital piano's to practice on, and I tried many out in music shops. I can't fault the product, if you can, I definitely recommend saving up and buying this instead of a keyboard, the full 88 weighted keys are very realistic, it plays better than my teachers digital piano that isn't weighted, if you read the instructions there is also more adjustable options than you think. It lets you practice full scales which smaller key boards can't, I only play in my room and I think it sounds great, and feel it goes very loud for household playing, you can also plug in an amp or headphones if you want more sound quality. If you can't afford a real piano or don't have the room, this is perfect. I got a great stand for 25 and it plays like digital piano's 3 times their price. I love my cdp-120, I'm sure it will make me Chopin in no time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for what I need, 28 Jan 2013
The Casio CDP 120 is perfect for my needs. I grew up playing piano and have a real one at my parents' place, but can't fit a full piano at my own place, so decided for this one after reading up on several reviews, and I'm happy with it, as it has the weighed keys like a real piano, and even a pedal. A great buy indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Piano for the price, very pleased., 14 July 2012
I originally bought a Yamaha keyboard for around 220 but it didn't have weighted keys which was something I couldn't get on with, so I sent it back and ordered this. I'm a music graduate looking to revive my piano playing after a few years of having no space for an instrument.

Firstly having weighted keys and a full 88 note keyboard is ideal, especially for the price. The weight is heavy to begin with but I have got used to it fast. The Piano is comfortable and fun to play on when one is used to the feel and I find it copes with flare and passionate playing with ease, making me very much enjoy the experience of playing.

The only features that may add to this product are a pipe organ sound and the ability to record, but those perhaps are for more expensive products. Personally I only use the main grand piano voice, although there is a second grand piano, a harpsichord, electric piano and strings. I think perhaps there were a couple of notes in the main grand voice that aren't perfectly in tune...?

That said: for those looking for a weighted key full 88 note digital paino that doesn't take up too much space and doesn't cost the earth I can certainly recommend this Casio. I am very pleased with it and feel even in the few weeks I have had it it has helped me progress my composing and playing.

It is worth noting that it comes with its own sustain pedal. I already had a universal pedal that is more real-piano-like so I have been using that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent!, 23 Jan 2013
S. Riches - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
It plays like a piano, it sounds like a piano, so if that's what you want - get one! It is easy to set up, I did it on my own but it would be easier with two people for the initial lifting out of the box. You will need a decent stand for it if you don't have a convenient table, you also need something to sit on that is suitable in height.
There are a few moans on other reviews about the music stand and the foot pedal - well, the stand is absolutely fine: the foot pedal sounds fine too, but being small it does travel around too much and even my attempt at duct-taping it to the carpet was a failure, however you could try Velcro or something similar if you don't mind leaving one piece fixed to the floor - or, purchase a more substantial pedal which can be had for under 20.

The voices provided are:- Grand Piano 1, Grand Piano 2, Electric Piano, Harpsichord, and Strings. Frankly only the first two are really worth having ( I stick with the first), the others are naff - especially harpsichord and strings. This need not be a problem because if you really want a shedload of other sounds, this beast will link into your computer via its USB slot and you can then import all the sounds you desire via whatever free or purchased software takes your fancy. There's a built-in demo piece for each of the voices, not sure of the point of that BUT if you want a good laugh, wait until your visitors are sat down with a cup of tea, then sit at the keyboard and mime as if playing while a demo runs, and then after a short time after they are impressed, stand up and walk away. I did this once in a school assembly after taking delivery of a new Yamaha keyboard, everyone was massively taken-in until I stood up and walked away with it still playing. The entire 500 kids went wild with laughter, the head-teacher was po-faced. I think that signalled the beginning of the end for my teaching career!

I was nearly dissuaded from buying this keyboard because of reading complaints that it had no midi in or out - well, it doesn't have the old-type in/out socket, but the USB will do just the same, so, no problem.

I like the fact that you can change the fine tuning by miniscule degrees, or can transpose up or down in semitones - both functions are useful if you play along with other instruments - you can also alter the touch response, and the reverb. - there is a "chorus" function too but in my opinion that destroys any decent sound but who knows, you may like it! For all these functions, refer to the instruction manual provided, it's easy to do but not entirely something at which you can guess without reading the manual. Remember when the manual refers to buttons as 1, 2, 3, etc. it counts the on/off as button number 1 - that threw me for ages because I tried to be clever and not fully read the manual!

The keyboard is sturdily constructed, it is 131 cms long (because it has 88 keys) and although I read complaints elsewhere that the volume from the speakers is inadequate, in my opinion it has plenty of beef in a domestic setting - the equivalent of a traditional piano, however if you intend transporting it to places that are much bigger, you'll need to plug it into an amplifier.
Ideally for transporting you'd need a hard case, but I could not find one anywhere, but I did get a generic 88-note keyboard soft case that is well-padded for around 20, so look around online.

My instrument is piano, I've gone without for ages, this beast has made me happy. Steve Riches, Northampton, UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars As close to a real piano as you can get within this budget, 7 Oct 2013
I ordered this after reading the reviews and deciding that if I was going to spend the money on a keyboard, I wanted one as close to a piano as I could get.
Firstly, delivery was super fast. It turned up several days before it was supposed to :)
I can't say much more than that it really does feel very similar to a real piano. The weighted keys feel right and it's full length. This does make it heavier than most keyboards but as mine resides in my house this doesn't bother me.
I have yet to use the function where you can plug it into the computer and record things but this was another feature that sealed the deal.
So far, so good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 31 July 2012
I'm a relativity inexperienced player, had my old keyboard a long time just never got round to using it, when i finally did i found it to be outdated. I bought this product with great expectations and it has lived up to them all, if there was only one not a problem as such but it could be is that the music stand that comes with it is a tad on the flimsy side, if your planning on putting any heavy books on it, i don't think it would break but it probably wouldn't do it much good, easy way around that though is to photocopy any bits of music out of the books, then that problems cured. Overall good product and i would recommend it.