4.0 out of 5 stars This fantastic debut has it all.
[...]
Caroline for [...]

Published on 25 Nov 2011 by Caroline Cousens

3.0 out of 5 stars Mainstream, curious, average.
Published 11 months ago by Debby (Snuggly Oranges)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars This fantastic debut has it all., 25 Nov 2011
[...]
Caroline for [...]

This gorgeous coming of age tale transports you completely to a world of sumptuous palaces, humid jungles, lush oases and stunning, yet unforgiving, deserts. A land of beauty and of danger, this superb world building is not at the expense of the story's pacing. There is never a dull moment and like our protagonist Elisa; we are thrown from one experience to another. However the action never feels forced or gratuitous as each experience moves the story forward and informs Elisa's character development. The main problem you have as a reader is deciding where to leave your book mark as you reluctantly turn in for the night!

Although this is an action filled fantasy adventure with a few crush worth males thrown in for good measure, this is very much a character driven story and it is the character arc which I LOVE most about this book. We watch a girl with cripplingly low self esteem blossom in to a determined, capable and confident young woman.

Elisa's voice is intelligent and brutally honest, to the point of causing the reader discomfort. When we first meet her Elisa is, in her own opinion, a lazy underachiever who is so fat that she is unable to walk for more than a few minutes before tiring and becoming physically uncomfortable.
Taking the childhood teasing of her glamorous, capable older sister to heart Elisa has spent years believing that the disappointment of her birth caused her mother's death. These feeling of worthlessness have prevailed despite the honour of being the bearer of the Godstone and destined to do great things in the service of her god.

Filled with conflicting emotions and confusing self beliefs, on the one hand Elisa feels suffocated by the expectation of predetermined greatness. On the other, she is increasingly concerned that her biggest fear, (that she will not fulfil her destiny) will be realised. Simultaneously, she seems to be wilfully sabotaging herself with her extreme eating. It is, after all, one thing to fail at something if you haven't tried, soul destroying to fail because you were somehow lacking, and Elisa believes she is lacking. A lifetime of being talked over, of others making life changing decisions without consulting her, with her destiny predetermined, her food intake is the one thing she can control.

I have read other reviews which have looked negatively at our protagonist's eventual weight loss, viewing it as a bad example to impressionable young girls. I could understand their point if the weight loss was the cause of Elisa's character development and increased confidence. But this isn't a fluffy make over story. While she does eventually revel in the aesthetic element of her weight loss it is the changed to her health, to her physical capability that she notices first and values most. Elisa's development begins long before the period of extreme physical demand which happens to result in her weight loss. I believe that it is in fact the changes in her character from an increased sense of control, of self awareness and a sense of purpose that enable the permanent changes in her behaviour, resulting in sustained weight loss and improved self confidence.
While the story of Fire and Thorns concludes in the absence of infuriating cliff hangers I am left with a strong desire to return to Elisa's story. Lucky for me Fire and Thorn is the first of a planned trilogy.

Verdict: Believable world building: Check, Fantastic plot and pacing: Check, Crush worthy male characters: Check, Character development: Check. This fantastic debut has it all. I am eagerly anticipating the continuation of Elisa's story.
4.5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Fire and Thorns, 7 Nov 2012
One person every century is chosen by God to do a great task and this person is Princess Elisa. On her 16th birthday she is married to a neighbour King but he is not the only one who seeks her. Some wants to kill her and some who thinks she is their saviour. Elisa is a marvellous character who changes and grows so much in this book. The story is full of so many twists and turns and a brilliantly written fantasy for very one no matter what age.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mainstream, curious, average., 21 Sep 2013
The Girl of Fire and Thorns surely hits all the marks on the checklist of "YA high fantasy novels"; however, something about it just lacked that spark that would make this a truly memorable novel that has me coming back for more. It never really wow-ed me, which, I guess, I really expected to happen. (Maybe it is once again due to the many people who swore I'd absolutely love this novel.) So my opinion is overall rather mixed.

The plot of the novel is the gem that gets a bit overshadowed by the smaller, more annoying bits. But we'll get to that. So Elisa is first forced into a marriage with King Alejandro and experiences court life, trying to figure out which role she is best suited to play. Then, she is kidnapped as one of many parties decides they need to use her, being God's chosen, to save their people. There is a great deal of mystery concerning what her task is, as God's chosen, and she has a fair bit of struggle with that. The pacing is perfect, and at no point does the novel become boring. There is no info-dumping and no long descriptive passages of traveling as one might expect of a high fantasy. Perhaps the best part of Rae Carson's storytelling ability is her decision to take risks. Characters die in this book. Characters you grow close to. That really keeps you on your toes and makes the story much more exciting.

The characterizations left me wishing for more. Though Elisa was an intriguing main character - a somewhat spoiled princess harshly confronted with reality - I found it difficult to sympathize with her for some reason (maybe because she was too quick to go back to some of her princess-y ways after escaping the desert, and I hoped she'd be more strong and independent based on her experiences). I must say as well that at first I was intrigued by Rae Carson's choice to make Elisa, to be blunt, fat. I thought it was an interesting choice that could well work in this world and may, in YA, create some more positive feelings about different body types. But no. After being ridiculed in the castle for her body shape (which, I would argue, doesn't fit in a high fantasy medieval-like setting - where traditionally the more heavy set people were envied because they had enough food to eat to become so fat) Elisa then travels through the desert under harsh conditions and loses almost all of that extra weight. Umm... seriously, what was the point of this then?

My main issue with the love interests is that, to be honest, Humberto and Hector are identical. Their characters are exactly the same. They regard Elisa in the same way. They have the same kinds of interactions with her. It's all too obvious. Maybe I would not have thought this if I didn't have *some* clue as to how the romance goes in The Crown of Embers, but I still think it's really sad. However, aside from an "I love you" that was maybe a bit too quick, the romance was handled rather nicely and didn't take dominance over the rest of the story. And it's not a love triangle... really. If that's what you're worried about. So there's something to be said for that.

The omnipresence of religion started off as interesting, gradually became lightly irritating, and then, ultimately, rather annoying. I'm not a religious person, and to have to read statements like, "God will show me the way" or "have faith, that's all you need" or "just pray, just keep praying" all throughout 300 pages is exhausting (not to mention how it sounds like Elisa and her maid Ximena seriously do nothing else with their lives other than read the Scriptura Sancta... seriously). Now I know, this is a fantasy and a vastly different world than our own, where the presence of magic almost inherently asks for a religion or god. I just felt it was overdone to the point where I almost dreaded continuing. The point is, the existence of this God is poorly developed and not yet well integrated in the world building. (The world building, overall, to me, was lackluster and rather average.) But I think that, this time, is due to the fact this is a series. Which kind of makes me sigh.

Summing Up...

Ultimately, while this book screams "AVERAGE" to me, I think the series holds a lot of potential. I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and continue anyway. Elisa had a lot of character growth to get through in this novel, and I think I'll like how the events of the first book shaped her for the rest of the series. The conclusion definitely gave me hope that I will like The Crown of Embers better.

Recommended To...

Fans of classic high fantasies who aren't afraid of a few clichés, or people who want to try the genre for the first time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fat princess to freedom fighter, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Fire and Thorns (Fire & Thorns Trilogy 1) (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this. A coming of age tale of an unhappy, overweight princess with an unknown destiny who encounters many setbacks but rises to the challenge in the end. Well-plotted, interesting characters, a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars With fire in her heart, 23 Feb 2014
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Imagine if you were the Chosen One... but had no idea what you were destined to do, and had no discernible skills.

Such a girl is at the heart of "Fire and Thorns," a richly textured fantasy about a seemingly ordinary princess who is destined to be involved in much, much more. Rae Carson obviously put a lot of love into her fantasy world, as well as a heroine who defies most of the "princess" tropes.

Once every century, a child is marked with the divine Godstone, showing that they are destined to serve God somehow. Princess Elisa is its newest bearer.

And because of a treaty, she is reluctantly married to beautiful, kind King Alejandro of Joya d'Arena. But her new homeland is a strange, not-very-welcoming place, especially since the marriage is being kept secret for mysterious reasons. There are plenty of backstabbers, rivals and even a brewing war with Invierne.

And in Joya d'Arena, Elisa soon discovers religious truths about the Godstone that nobody in her country would tell her. But when a band of revolutionaries kidnaps her, she finds herself fighting Invierne's animagi -- and a terrible magic that uses Godstones and blood. Now Elisa must not only save herself, but her new country as well.

Sorcery, religion, politics, ancient texts and a legendary jewel that channels God's will -- nobody can accuse Rae Carson of writing a book without plot. In fact, "Fire and Thorns" is dense with brewing events that eventually explode into battle, with colorful, richly descriptive prose ("robes as white as quartz").

Carson also came up with a thoroughly likeable, unstereotypical princess. Elisa is a chubby, shy, studious girl at the story's beginning, self-conscious about her weight and intimidated by her sister and Alejandro. While she grows in confidence and strength, she never stops feeling like a real person who gets embarrassed and awkward.

And the world Carson comes up with is pretty fascinating as well. It seems to be based on Spanish and Middle-Eastern cultures, complete with a sort of pseudo-Catholicism that features heavily in the plot. It's not preachy, but Carson isn't afraid to tackle the tough questions of God's will, destiny and religious divisions.

"Fire and Thorns" is filled with rich fantasy cultures and sensual writing, but the real draw here is Elisa herself. And it leaves you wishing to know what happens to her next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fire & Thorns, 22 Jan 2014
Loved the book, after the initial push to get into the scenarios and characters. Immediately ordered the next so wouldn't have to wait long to find out what happens next

5.0 out of 5 stars Fire and Thorns (Fire & Thorns Trilogy 1), 20 Jan 2014
Another good book that my granddaughter loved reading, kept her quite for ages. still uses her tablet, but it's nice to see her with a book in her hand.

4.0 out of 5 stars A new and strong heroine, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Fire and Thorns (Fire & Thorns Trilogy 1) (Kindle Edition)
Elisa has a brutal struggle to get through it all, with a prophecy around her, and her feelings between her husband of an arranged marriage and her kidnapper, Humberto, are split. She later has to make the decision to help her new friends and keep her Godstone from falling in the hands of those who would burn the world with it, or running away while she still can. There is a lot of death in this book, though I'm not going to give away any spoilers. Will be reading the second book of this trilogy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read!, 12 May 2013
Macey89 - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fire and Thorns (Fire & Thorns Trilogy 1) (Kindle Edition)
`The Girl of Fire and Thorns' is an example of a book I felt was written really well, so much so that even though I didn't particularly enjoy the central premise of the novel, I really enjoyed the book as a whole. I read this on a recommendation, without researching it too heavily beforehand. However, fairly soon after starting the book I realised that despite the fact it's a fantasy novel set in a fantasy world, it's heavily religious in its theme.

It's not something I'd usually buy but I persevered - and I'm glad I did. On her sixteenth birthday, Elisa is married to a prince of a neighbouring kingdom. She is also named in an ancient prophecy that marks out one person a century for life of greatness. But this prophecy also makes her a target, and with the realm facing increasing tension and civil war, Elisa is unwillingly drawn into the heart of the action.

Like any good protagonist, Elisa undergoes a personal, and in this case a physical, transformation over the course of the book. However, this transformation was woven into the fabric of the book and it didn't feel forced. There was also a great cast of supporting characters, and although I didn't relate to some of them, this was purely because of the nature of their personalities rather than a lack of one. There's a strong fantasy and magical element as well as an intricate central love story and it really engaged me as a reader. I'll definitely be reading the next book in the trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Encore!, 4 Jan 2013
The narrative of this story is wonderfully descriptive, and Rae Carson's smooth writing style brings to life both the world in which Elisa lives, and all the characters that populate it.

"Fire and Thorns" (originally titled, The Girl of Fire and Thorns) is at its heart a coming of age story about Elisa. All her life she's known that she is was 'chosen', but if her sixteen years have taught her anything it's that she's remarkably unremarkable for someone waiting to do a great deed. When we first meet her she's insecure and pudgy, and very self-critical.

The romance is well-written, and there's more than one flirtation for Elisa, but this is never written in a way other than what I could imagine happening in real life. Crush versus real love, and recognizing the people who say they will be there for you, over the people who actually show you they truly are there for you. Having said that, despite the elements of romance, there are so many wonderful plot twists in the story, and such growth of character for Elisa, that the romance never overshadows her and her self-discovery. Which is one of the reasons I've chosen not to mention the names of the other characters in this book. I'd love for other readers to discover them, without too much of an introduction beforehand, because I loved jumping into this novel, knowing very little before I started too. Sometimes trailers and reviews can give too much away, and I hope not to give away too much.

She's taken from the safety of her father's castle, and it's in the outside world that she finally discovers who she really is, even if she's still unsure of what her chosen task(s) are, or will be. The plot takes Elisa and the reader on a voyage of discovery, where she discovers that maybe all that she knows about being a chosen, is merely the tip of the iceberg. There are things that others know and have kept from her, and there are things only she can know if she has faith.

I loved Elisa's voice, and the complexity of the characters in this story. Not all the good guys are a hundred percent 'good', nor do all the bad guys seem entirely bad. They are simply a bunch of flawed people doing their best - or worst.

Elisa's wonderfully perceptive and aware of the motivations of others, but even she's caught by surprise by one or two characters, who in their own way will change her life forever.

Overall: The characters are easy to relate to and wonderfully complex. The world creation, with its elements of religion, faith and magic make for a fascinating read, and when you throw into the mix rebels, invaders, and treachery...well, that's a mix that makes this a real page-turner. I couldn't put it down :) 5 out of 5 stars.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›