5.0 out of 5 stars The Golden Rules of Advocacy Revisited, 18 Jun 2007
George R Dekle "Bob Dekle" (Lake City, FL United States) - See all my reviews
When this book was originally written, it bore the title "The Golden Rules of Advocacy," and the previous edition is still available under that name from Amazon.co.uk. I discovered "Golden Rules" on a trip to England, where I found it on sale at the information desk of the Royal Courts of Justice in London. As a recently retired trial advocate of 32 years experience, I was interested in the English perspective on trial advocacy. I bought the book and read it straight through on the flight home from England and was greatly impressed by Evans' knowledge of the essentials of trial advocacy. When I discovered "Golden Rules" on Amazon.com, I wrote a glowing review.

Then I found "Common Sense Rules," and debated ordering it. I rightly suspected it was "Golden Rules" under another name. After some time, I gave in to the urge to purchase, and I have not regretted it. "Common Sense" is "Golden Rules" revised and expanded for the American market, and set forth in a much more user-friendly format.

I lament the change of title, however. The term "Golden Rules" conveys the high ethical standard set by the book far better than "Common Sense". You can have a head full of "Common Sense" and still be as crooked as a corkscrew. Despite my preference for the former title, I cannot fault the publisher for the change. Either term is equally applicable. Maybe the third edition could be entitled "The Golden Rules of Common Sense Advocacy".

Reading this book would profit any advocate of any experience level. Judicious application of the advice contained in the book will make anyone a better advocate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, easy to understand, brilliantly and simply written., 26 July 2014
This review is from: Common Sense Rules of Advocacy for Lawyers: A Practical Guide for Anyone Who Wants To Be a Better Advocate (Kindle Edition)
This is a superb summary of what makes a good advocate. As a law graduate, writer, lecturer and public speaker I consider this book to be the definitive guide to oral communication and persuasion in and out of the court room.
During my long career I have watched many advocates at work, and the good ones do exactly what Keith Evans says here. I really love this book. I'm going to get the paper version too as I've been reading it on Kindle.
Dr John Olsson
www.thetext.co.uk

4.0 out of 5 stars A bargain, 27 Jan 2013
I was recommended this by a colleague and given the low price ordered it on Kindle. The author uses his considerable experience as an advocate to provide concise rules. The book is easy to read, even if as a criminal advocate some of his advice is of less relevance (as is the occasional US focus), which stops me from giving it 5*. But overall a useful text.

4.0 out of 5 stars Investment for the future, 24 Jan 2013
While I am only currently studying law I have purchased this book as an investment for the future. The advice inside is, while aimed at the professional advocate be they barrister or solicitor, insightful and would apply to many professions that involve face to face contact in meetings and the like where you have to put forward a case, such as the need for greater budget, new, equipment etc. Well worth considering for anyone in the legal profession and middle management I would think

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 3 May 2013