Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.99

on 1 November 2011
First of all the DVD is pretty poor apart from the hilarious Deathbound video!

This is the only reason I am not giving the CD/DVD package the full 5 star rating!

The CD is typical trippy mastodon with a touch more rock thrown in the mixand with moments of monumental riffs and some really amazing moments of greatness.

Mastodon influences range from bluegrass, Zepplin, metal to banjo inspired folk music a.k.a Hinds riffs and trickery.

You don't have to be a metal fan to see Mastodon are exceptional - probably better than Metallica where at their peak - they cross into the accessible/easy listening genre at sometimes to balls-out madness - you never know what's coming......it's like a little journey.

Add it to your collection!

Best tracks are:

Black Tongue, Curl of The Burl, Stargasm, Dry Bone Valley and Spectrelight.

All of these guys can sing and play. Although they are techincally gifted and show it the music sticks in your head.

If you love music click on buy it!
on 23 January 2012
Shorter tracks with no unfathomable jazz-timing mumbo-jumbo. Just good, honest rock'n'roll. Admittedly they sound more like Voivod these days, but that's not a bad thing. So if this is the future of Mastodon, give me more.

But if they return to their prog-metal ramblings of yore, its back to Opeth for me ... Heritage or not!
on 22 January 2012
This is a fantastic album! I play this in my car on Monday morning at 7:00am at full blast and I am bouncing in my seat!!
Every song could be a single if there actually were singles any more! Mastodon, after the proggy (and fantastic!) Crack The Skye have done with the themes and the whales and whatnot and have just decided to make a KICK ASS ALBUM!! This is a band that have not run out of ideas and will run and run. It is by no means my favourite Mastodon album, but goddamnit it is the sound of them having FUN!! I don't get how people who like the band don't like this because I've liked them since Remission and have loved all their albums since. I've seen them live 3 times and they are a great live band, so if you can, get a ticket for their 2012 tour, you will not be disappointed!
on 27 September 2011
Mastodon continue their upward trajectory drive with their latest release The Hunter. A magnificent metal record delivering on all the promise the band have shown since the beginnings but especially on the brilliant Blood Mountain and superb Crack The Skye.

This is exactly where I hoped Mastodon would be on this album. A bit selfish for sure but this to me is the fitting culmination of Mastodons fine tuning of their unique sounds.

Probably more commercial, reining in some of the progressive "Zappa"isms as i call them and honing those far out vocal melodies into an incredible mix of heavy, technical, melodic and dreamy rock/metal.

This album should be owned by every metalhead and hopefully will see Mastodon propelled evermore skywards.

Get it now!
on 11 July 2014
Amazing album like everything mastodon has released give it a few listens and you will be hooked.

Creature lives is unlike any song mastodon has done but it is one of their best.
on 23 April 2014
I like their previous albums and this one is probably more 'accessible' for people who haven't listened to this kind of genre. It's great though, definitely a grower.
on 9 May 2013
I've never heard Mastodon before, but boy was I missing some big sounds. Bought this album and immediately fell in love with it. Crack the Skye is even better.
on 17 May 2013
I just love the music its so good. One of my better cd's ;)
I don't have much to say just I am happy for this thats all.
on 4 December 2011
I'd heard of Mastodon and actually seen them live supporting Metallica a few years back, but I'd never heard them properly before hearing "Black Tongue" on Jools Holland, due to terrible sound mixing at Wembley and ignorance on my part! This album is just brilliant. Every song sounds great and has a unique style. Mastodon are very complex but still have catchy tunes, with a brutality to most of them that really satisfies. Get this album!
on 31 May 2013
This is a masterful album. Awesome in its scope. Fell in love with it as soon as I heard it!!!!!