4.0 out of 5 stars I'd Rank it as the Weakest Season.
I'm only a relatively new fan of Buffy. It was only around a year ago that I had not seen a single episode, and picked up the first season after wanting to check it out for a while. It didn't take me long to get hooked. I picked up the remaining seasons as quickly as possible, doing my best to not run out of episodes to watch until I reached the very end.

I...
Published on 6 Dec. 2011 by Zombie Kermit

3.0 out of 5 stars Irritating
I have recently decided to watch Buffy again from the beginning, this to me is the most irritating season of them all.

Published 15 months ago by Beanie Luck

4.0 out of 5 stars I'd Rank it as the Weakest Season., 6 Dec. 2011

I would rank my two favourite seasons as being 5 and 7. I think they were both truly amazing seasons. But sandwiched between the two, was Season 6, which I found to be surprisingly mixed in quality.

I suppose much of it can be traced to the aftereffects of some of the events of season 5, but much of the characters seemed.... well, just a little off. Buffy's borderline nymphomania, Spike's general desertion of all his character development of the previous season, and various other character choices that struck me as odd and out of place.

I guess another issue I had with it is something that many might find a positive. For me, it sort of lacked the story that the other seasons had, without a clear threat looming overhead. Thing is, by the end, this may not be a bad thing, because it made room for some fantastic developments towards the end of the season. But it just felt a little unfocused and uneven for much of it.

So why the four star rating with all these complaints? It's very simple. Even at it's lowest quality, Buffy still offers a whole lot. There's still a lot of humour, action and quality drama to make this season great. Of course, it has the added bonus of the amazing musical episode Once More With Feeling, which is honestly just as good as people say.

All in all, while the season offers many of the series' higher points, it also offers even more of its lower ones. Despite this, it goes without saying that if you're this far in, you have to keep watching. Even if only for the musical episode and the amazing shocks towards the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Season 6 is a must for hardcore Spike Fans!, 2 Dec. 2007
Cwyu "Cecilia" (UK) - See all my reviews
I'm not in it for Buffy, I'm into Spike and as far as I am concerned this is the best season of Buffy, well apart from the Spike & DRu sessions in Season 2&3. I love the character development between Spike & Buffy and as far as I'm concerned even all those raunchy scenes are of themselves really interesting metaphors for how things are going for them "Out of high school" and into the "real" world...its actually one of my favorite seasons of Buffy and I can't imagine why anyone would write it off because its "different from other seasons"....if its not different after a while, there's no progress....why bother at all? Just replay SEason 1 over and over and over again....its original and Who doesn't want to see more of Spike in less clothes? :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Life is the Big Bad', 23 Nov. 2003
This is the season of Buffy where our heroes (and the audience) are put through the emotional wringer. The main theme is addiction, and we are taken to some pretty dark places by the end of season finale.
Whilst the show has never been afraid of tackling controversial issues, and has always prided itself on being prepared to sacrifice a major character if it's in keeping with the story, this is much bleaker than the usual Buffy. There are some genuinely shocking and disturbing scenes which still resonate long after you have finished watching.
This was the direction the show needed to move in, and with an outstanding ensemble cast and such good quality writers involved it is handled well. Even in its darkest places Buffy is never less than entertaining and there is still plenty of the trademark humour to be found.
The DVD itself is very nicely presented and there are plenty of extras to enjoy.
Overall, if you like Buffy you'll be buying this anyway, so enjoy. It is also worth considering if you are used to watching the edited version of the show on tv as it really needs to be seen uncut to appreciate it properly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Irritating, 13 Mar. 2014
Beanie Luck (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Season 6 (New Packaging) [DVD] (DVD)

Buffy and Spike, WIllow and her whining cold turkey, Dawn screaming all the time get out get out get out, Xander and Anya almost wedding, oh and Giles leaving, the monsters were pants and worst of all are the arch nemisises their words not mine of the 3 amigos being warren, andrew and johnathon.

Once more with feeling was however brilliant and the arrival of Dark Willow kicked total butt, however for me this is the weakest Season.

I like Spike, i just dont like Spike with Buffy.

I was glad when the season was over.

5.0 out of 5 stars what's not to like?, 3 Feb. 2013
M. Wilson "KRW" (Midlands, uk) - See all my reviews
Yeah ok it's not the best season, that accolade rests with season 2 but there is a lot to like about this season and there is a lot going on. whilst the show takes a darker tone i feel there was more character development and more great episodes, there is the musical episode and towards the end the dark willow storyline cultivating in one of the best season finales ever.I personally enjoyed this season and felt it was better than season 5.

If your a fan of the show then definatly buy this and don't believe the bad reviews,
and if you like genere shows and themes of witchcraft/ supernatural then check this out.

5.0 out of 5 stars UK VERSION -woohoooo!, 4 Jan. 2004
Okay, I admit I couldnt wait till July for this to reach our shores in America. And I am shocked with the differences in this 6th season box set for the UK vs 1-5 here in the US. For a start, the packaging is far nicer in this UK set. No need to stretch your arms out again and again with lame and loose accordian packaging- this is a little notebook format with a protective sleeve for each disc- nice!
Whether or not the extras will be the same here I dont know, but they are by far the best ones I've seen on a Buffy DVD: a 45 minute fly on the wall video about making OMWF, an hour-long TV Arts and Sciences panel discussion with Joss, James, Michelle, Allyson, Marti, Nick and a DP and a set guy. The commentaries have been wonderful and an added bonus of Commentary Subtitles really really helps! There are two little easter eggs (one only works for PCs- BOO!) and a few other little bits- a funny thing about first jobs and dream jobs of the cast and crew tempers the terrible Doublemeat Palace episode, for example.
Also strangely enough there is an extra scene in the first ep (I checked my US tape and it WAS NOT shown here), and the full-length version of OMWF (hooray!) is included also. There may be more goodies, too, but I wanted to get this written in case you were sitting there with your holiday money burning a hole in your pocket....
You'll need an all-region DVD player (if you live in North America), but they can be had cheaply from Ebay and if you're technically minded you can make one yourself- techtv.com tells you how to make your XBox console into an all region player, even.
Anyway, it's grand and well worth the extra money if you're impatient like me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not as good as a lot of people think., 18 Dec. 2003
Mr. Ik Johns "ieuan_johns" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
I was impressed by this series more than the other buffies up to this point (and now after as well), it shows the writing, acting and charachters all maturing both in talent, realism and of course on-air. The real issues of what happens after college are raise throughout through marriage, money troubles, responsibilities, employment and generally in having to be more grown up about things than in previous years.
The brewing idea of inseperable school and college friends slowly drifting into different lives is a theme I am experiencing myself at the moment and definately hits home and make the charachters so much more real in this series, unfortunately they undi a lot of good work in the next series with this but oh well.
Willow gets her real starring role too late in a way and while I can see the reason for her evilness on the back of grief, it came way too quickly. A slower burn from earlier in the series of the darker places that the magic would take her would have been better.
The real MVP of this series (and by far in the next) is Spike though, he is undoubtably the best charachter actor in the cast and if he can turn his hand to other roles could have a great future. His constant tustle with his chip were intreaging and you had to wonder was his soul there all along in some way ? Otherwise when he found out he could damage buffy he could have just got it over with. Something stopped him.
Anyway I digress. The best buffy by a decent distance and kept me interested, but then I like the dark humour shown in this series over the perky heroic kind in the others. A definate 7.5/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Buffy, 16 May 2013
Mr. L. R. BUXTON (England!) - See all my reviews
Spoiler alert...

Buffy is arguably the funniest, sharpest-written, best-cast, most consistently well-acted, best blend of comedy, drama, horror and farce you will ever see. Across its 7 seasons it raised the bar to an extraordinary level, which even Joss Whedon's sister show (or should that be brother show) Angel struggled to match throughout its own successful 5 season run.

This, season 6, was bought to complete my set after my 'old' discs started to play up. It's one of the darkest, sitting in the run between the suddenly sober season 5 (where poor Buffy lost her Mum, gained a sister (to the annoyance of much of the fanbase ) and the elegy-like season 7. Here, Buffy battles not so much external enemies (like the simple but terrifyingly powerful, diva-like Glory in season 5, and the equally unstoppable and equally merciless natural causes ) but her own darker impulses and those of her friends, making it arguably the series' most introspective and 'internal' season. Unlike the bright, blinding but harsh sunlight that permeated season 5, season 6 mostly takes place in the dark, with previously much-loved characters turning on each other in shocking ways. Xander, for so long the willing butt of the jokes, suddenly has cold feet about his wedding, which threatens to completely shatter a happy and unsuspecting Anya. Willow's love of the power and respect that comes from her magic use, finds herself unable to stop, threatening the people she loves and most of all her relationship with the loyal, responsible and concerned Tara. Giles departs for England at arguably the worst possible moment, leaving those who always looked to him for advice and wisdom rather lost. Dawn, Buffy's sister, while mostly free of the danger she experienced last season, feels neglected. And then of course there's Buffy herself, unwillingly brought back from the dead into a world where she has to once again thanklessly fight evil, delving into a self-destructive and miserable relationship with a still-soulless Spike simply in order to feel, and worst of all having to work endless double-shifts in a fast food joint, just to keep a roof over her sister and herself.

Despite all this though it's still Buffy, one of the wittiest series to hit TV, and of course there are moments of light amid the darkness - personally I found more to laugh at in the 1st half of season 6 that all of season 5 put together. The Trio, for instance - robot-designer Warren who Buffy clashed with in season 5, shy wannabe illusionist Jonathan (familiar to long-term fans as a recurring character), and weak-willed Andrew ('the other one') seem to be almost a parody of a set of camp, technology-obsessed geeks who are out of their depth acting as 'arch-nemesises' to Buffy. But when a shocking accident happens later on in s6, things get very dark indeed - expect bloodshed of several characters, and a heartrending but oddly cathartic conclusion where 1 much-loved central character finally embraces their grace, 1 finally embraces life, and 1 - well - that would be telling!

My advice? Buy s1 to s7, watch them in order (as i did) and experience a brilliant show with depth, themes, story arcs mixed with great one-offs, and enjoy. Lots!

3.0 out of 5 stars Something about the extras, 18 Oct. 2003
By A Customer
If you already own the videos and you're buying the DVDs mainly for the extras then don't bother.
I found my self very disappointed with them, luckily I bought them second hand so I didn't fork out the whole amount.
The commentaries are uninsightful "Look, see, doesn't Emma look like Sarah from the back there? Can't you just imagine our horror when we realised that" !?! Most of the time it's just the writers and directors going on about how much fun the show is to work on and how great Joss is. There are huge gaps in the voices when we're left with just the episode playing really quietly until someone says "look see, she looks like Sarah again".
The "behind the scences" of Double Meat Palace is a charade. There is no behind the scenes footage, it's just the writers and directors plus 2 cast members telling us what their first job was and what their dream job would be.
All in all, as I said before, if you want to buy these for the extras then you'd be better to borrow them off someone (coz you'll only watch the extras once anyway) or buy them as cheap as you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Becoming Human: A Stepping Stone to Season 7, 22 Jun. 2007
I disagree with the views that this season is largely improvised and reflects the characters in a bad light. All characters go through significant changes which shows how they have grown and become more 'human'. In fact, there is a significant binary to each character about whether they are human/inhuman, or in other words-human/demon. But a few examples: Xander & Anya's relationship becomes a lot more serious until he realises he isn't ready to marry after Anya's realisation of what love actually is in 'Hell's Bells'. Her character has come to terms with her human side and when Xander leaves her at the aisle, her reaction is significantly traumatic-for the first time ever. Spike's demonic side is faltering and succumbs to his 'human' side when he falls in love with Buffy. This also ends badly, in particular the scene where he attempts to rape Buffy. Dawn has become 'human' and is now adapting to her life as a teenage girl, rather than Glory's Key. Willow succumbs to the Magicks and loses herself until Xander accesses her human side and brings her back to 'life', so to speak. And last but not least-Buffy-who is ressurrected and the question remains whether she has become part demon after Spike learns he can attack her. Aside from this, Giles leaves-a major blow to the characters and how they will function without his patriarchal presence. It seems that each character is learning how to become more human and more adult, and each episode only emphasises this. In particular, there is a sharp contrast between the childish Trio and the 'adult' Scooby Gang. I see this season as a stepping stone to season 7, being necessary to re-establish each character before the series finale. 7 is a harsh sequence of events, centred around The First, which seems to swallow each character whole and spit them back out again. Therefore, Season 6 not only encompasses each character's emotions but unveils the necessary strengths and failures they will unveil in the following season.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Season 6 (New Packaging) [DVD]