4.0 out of 5 stars I am very pleased with this camera
I am very pleased with this camera
I have a Canon 600D SLR with several lens up to 250mm I bought a Tokina 400mm without IS it was so heavy and I could not get on with it. So I sold it and bought the SX40 HS mainly for the 35x 840 mm Telephoto zoom.
I've had Canon bridge cameras before so I know what their like. I've had good results and looking at the...
Published on 15 Feb 2012 by Anton

3.0 out of 5 stars Good camera lousy instruction book
Excellent camera, abysmal instruction book. On line insruction books are a pain,they are never available when you really need them ie when you are out and about. You can't a PC about with you & printing yourself costs a fortune & you end up with a massive. The least the manufacturer could do would be to offer a printed book at extra cost!
Published 14 months ago by H.P

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good choice, 25 April 2012
Alan Newble (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Digital Camera - Black (12.1MP, Super Wide Angle, 35x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch Vari-Angle LCD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Bought this for the long zoom, actually, since it starts at 28mm wide angle is not as long as it looks. It works out at about 20X your standard view (about 50mm in film camera terms). Still very good and stabilisation is nearly as good as Panasonic's. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars didn't want something to complicated and this camera ticked all the boxes at a good, 18 Aug 2014
P. J. Rhodes "Phil Rhodes" (Sheffield England) - See all my reviews
just what I wanted a camera to take wildlife and also use for family snaps. didn't want something to complicated and this camera ticked all the boxes at a good price

5.0 out of 5 stars Bridge Camera., 5 Mar 2013
Because I wanted a longer focal length for my canon SLR and considering the cost, weight and the number of times I woud use a long focus lens I opted for a megazoom camera.
I am glad I opted for this as the quality of the results from it are really outstanding and more than exceded my requirements. I chose the SX40 over the SX50 because of the wider angle of view that was available.
I now have a camera that is considerably lighter than my EOS SLR and can carry about when I do not want to be burdened with, or it is not suitable to carry a larger and heavier camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powershot SX40 HS, 6 May 2012
Mr. Lewis J. Young (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Have had the whole range of SX models ~ this 40 is much better than the 30 clearer more stable with the canon software very easy to use excellent all round camera would certainly advise buyers to purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent camera, 14 Jun 2012
Mrs. Hilda Beard "Hilda B" (Glenrothes, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have never used this type of camera before and have been pleasantly surprised how easy it is to use for a novice, and am finding my way round it slowly. The close ups are great and I have had fun using it around the grandchildren. I still have a lot to learn about it but there's no rush and its fun finding all the new bits and pieces it does. I like the fact that on auto it does all the work for you and you get great pictures.
I don't have a lot of experience with cameras but this feels solid and a good piece of equipment.
My only negative would be that the strap is not very comfy round my neck for the weight of the camera but I intend getting another one when I find something I like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top slot for PowerShot, 29 Sep 2012
N. Warnham (U.K.) - See all my reviews
We decided to purchase this camera primarily because of the viewfinder. Have other digital cameras and became frustrated with the viewfinder on them as when the sun was out you had great difficulty in viewing the subject of your picture. Now with the Canon PowerShot it is easy peasy. Optical zoom. wide angle and the rest of the facilities are great and very easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Aug 2014
love it for beginner like me perfect to learn

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon powershot sx40hs, 4 April 2012
I purchased this camera thinking that it could replace my much loved fuji hs10 bridge camera - it didn't quite do that. It's a very high tech camera with advanced automation - even taking shots of my granddaughter when the shutter wasn't pressed!!

It has a pretty huge zoom range, 24 to 840mm eqiv, and you can also install a whole separate control program called CHDK, which enables you to do all sorts of things such as saving RAW files and having shutter wide open for huge periods of time.

But I have to say that the picture quality of the fuji was a bit sharper and more colorful. Having said that it's a fine camera and I'm sure I could have lived with it it if I'd had to.

It's only really outranked by the Nikon coolpix p510 with its huge 24 to 1000mm equivalent lens.

I have now resold this camera.pe

3.0 out of 5 stars fun camera, 2 Dec 2011
Mr. T. Barton "T Barton" (London) - See all my reviews
this is a fully featured camera but will never replace my dslr for serious work. Image quality is quite good for a bridge camera and should print nicely up to 10x8. Compared to a dslr there is distinct loss of detail (smearing) when shooting for example woodland at longer distances and viewing large size. The manual focus is a nightmare, the new Fuji has a manual focus ring which must be a lot better. No RAW shooting option is bad as it is easier to save photos in that format if white balance etc is off. Hopefully a firmware update will add this (I believe it can be hacked if you know what you are doing. That said its a fun and capable camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon quality, 11 April 2014
Wanted a new slr because the picture quality is that much better than camera phone or a compact. It has been very satisfactory in all conditions.

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›