5.0 out of 5 stars Bought on a whim
Bought this book on a whim from my Kindle recommended list and really enjoyed it. Light and with humor right the way through it was an easy read which proved hard to put down.
Published on 3 Oct 2012 by David Dempsey

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, ish. Not quite a 3.
Published 4 months ago by Ian Battison

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, ish. Not quite a 3., 6 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Hitman Diaries (Kindle Edition)
I was recommended this on the basis that I like John Niven. This is no Kill Your Friends. The writing style is a fairly poor imitation of Niven/Easton Ellis, though I wouldn't go so far as to say it is bad. For a cult novel there is no real humour after the first chapter. The main character is fairly dull. The other characters are fairly dull. The plot doesn't twist - it just ends where you'd have expected it to after the first couple of chapters. Not the worst book I've read, but well below average.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought on a whim, 3 Oct 2012
David Dempsey (Edinburgh UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute MUST for anyone wanting a laugh!, 2 Feb 2012
Mark Philpott "marco772" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Hitman Diaries (Kindle Edition)
This is one of my favourite funny books of all time and I still don't think I have ever laughed so much at the opening of any other book. It was just perfect for my sense of humour and I was instantly hooked.

Now I should point out here, anyone from the overly sensitive PC brigade is not going to care for this book. Some might say it's a morally dubious, slightly sick tale. I say, fine, as long as it's funny I really don't care. And this IS funny, very, very funny. And, I would say, quite sweet deep, deep down.

The story follows the diary of eastender Ian whose profession is, you've guessed it, a hit man.

Ian is very good at his job, sometimes a little too good in fact. His proclivity for death dealing is such that he sometimes bumps people off without quite meaning to. Naturally, this is playing havoc with his chances of finding Miss Right, which is Ian's number one quest in life. Only once he's found true love can he finally be happy and complete; but it's hard when, every time you get close to someone, you end up murdering them (not always by choice either).

This is Ian's dilemma and we follow him through various hits, reluctantly taking on a protégée, dealing with the odd bit of gangland warfare, fighting with the ghost of his dead mother and, of course, a number of very short lived relationships.
The world through Ian's eyes is told in an amusingly blunt fashion (although, Ian is a reasonably erudite fellow compared to the characters in King's earlier work "The Burglar Diaries") and nothing is watered down or shielded from the viewer. From his deeply personal worries about the correct dating etiquette, right through to the best way to dispose of a body at sea, Ian's world is laid bare for us to examine and laugh at.

If you like crime books, want a good laugh and you're not easily offended then this could well be the perfect book for you. It's violent, slick, not too long and extremely funny. It's kind of like a pyschotic Adrian Mole, with extra swearing. I urge you to give it a go.

And as it's now in e-book form for an astonishing £1.53, you really cannot go wrong!
Did I mention that it made me laugh a lot?

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Corker, 11 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Hitman Diaries (Kindle Edition)
This is, out of all of Danny King's books, my absolute favourite. I've read this once a year since I first bought it - back in 2004 - and there are always bits that I've missed. Danny King has a fantastic way with words and has a great line in snappy dialogue, without it coming across as contrived. If you haven't read any of Danny King's books before, go for this one first then work your way through the others.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much wallowing around, 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Hitman Diaries (Kindle Edition)
This book meanders through each chapter verging on the point of being boring on quite a few occasions. I felt like I had suffered a lot by the end of the book! My first excursion into Danny King and likely to be my last.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark, Funny and sometimes touching - trademark Danny King, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Hitman Diaries (Kindle Edition)
I've read a few Danny King books, they all tend to be about characters you really wouldn't want to meet in the real world but can really enjoy the company of when they're safely on a page. The Hitman Diaries' central character is, you guessed it, A Hitman, he kills indiscriminately, if he's told to or he deems it necessary the person in question is dead. A horrible character trait, and yet Danny King has turned this person into a likeable fella that you really warm too and ultimately hope can sort his (very) messed up life out.

The book is very funny, I read over half of it on a plane and got some funny looks as I laughed out loud, and even at times touching. Not something you'd necessarily expect with a book of this title, but something I have come to expect from Danny King. I enjoy the way the characters talk to each other and the inner monologue and struggles that go on in our anti-hero's head - this is the real strength of the book. The only reason I didn't give the book 5 stars was because I didn't enjoy the action scenes as much as the rest of the book and there are a couple of weighty action sections that I felt dragged a bit, other than that it's a great read and I'll be dipping into another Danny King book very soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully dark!, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Hitman Diaries (Kindle Edition)
With the darkest humour and pathos Danny King achieves the almost impossible. He gives us the ultimate anti-hero. A man with no feelings, guilt or remorse towards his victims yet we cannot help but feel pity then sympathy and ultimately empathy as he seeks redemption.
I loved this book from start to finish and cannot wait to read more of Danny Kings work.

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 7 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Hitman Diaries (Kindle Edition)
I like my books to provide light entertainment and this one certainly did. Some great quotes, a fast paced story and written in an easy going but eloquent style. I shall be reading more from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Readable, 10 July 2013
This review is from: The Hitman Diaries (Kindle Edition)
Very readable, amusing book. The observational comedy is very good but it's not all about the laughs, there is a good story line as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A killer Read and very funny, 19 May 2013
This review is from: The Hitman Diaries (Kindle Edition)
I first read this book when it first came out. Reading it again almost ten years later, I remember just how funny this is. It had me laughing out loud. My wife was curious as too what was so funny about a hitman. Go read this book straight away

The Hitman Diaries