4.0 out of 5 stars Dont Forget to read it...
If you've ever read Francis Chan before (Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God) then you'll know that he's incredibly easy to get on with. His style is more inquisitive than lecturing. By laying out simple principles Chan then places the onus squarely on the reader, "What are you going to do about it?"

If you're expecting a strong doctrinal treatment of...
Published on 2 Feb 2011 by saintbeagle

2.0 out of 5 stars Just started....finished
I've nicked this off my sons bookshelf. After years of him pinching mine the tide has turned!

My initial thoughts (I've just started it) are that I've read so many books about the Holy Spirit and they are all very upbeat, but by the end you are left frustrated wondering how to change things, how to become the 'super christian' they seem to promise. So, will...
Published on 8 Nov 2011 by Andrew Price

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Dont Forget to read it..., 2 Feb 2011

If you're expecting a strong doctrinal treatment of the Holy Spirit then you'll probably be disappointed. But if you want a book that will make you think, question, get down on your knees and pray about what your reading then this is it.

Chan's emphasis is to encourage the reader to live a life dependant on God the Holy Spirit, a life seeking to know God more intimately and serve others rather than yourself.

The book also has a strong emphasis on the fruit of the Spirit. Rather than placing a premium on showing the gifts of the Spirit (which should be used for the Churches benefit not our own) a Spirit filled Christian will be demonstrating a supernatural level of the fruit according to Chan.

He leaves us with the ultimate test, how much different would our lives be if we didn't have the Spirit?

I'd recommend The Forgotten God to anyone whose after a light read but also to anyone who wants to be challenged in their view of the Holy Spirit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book on the Neglected God!., 8 Nov 2009
Reverend R. G. Johnson (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
What a superb book that describes the subject matter of the title. Being one of a Charismatic persuasion and upbringing, there exists in many "churches" a completely unbalanced stance on the Holy Spirit, either He is given lip-service only as part of the Godhead, or His presence and work in the church and our lives is given an unbiblical emphasis, which almost excludes God the Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.
The proper balance is redressed in this excellent book by Francis Chan which warns the churches of the urgent and necessary adjustment required to fulfill Paul the Apostle's injunction to us in Romans 12:2 "to be transformed by the renewing of your minds"!
Without the guidance of the Holy Spirit in us AND the church, further decimation of the Christian churches will continue. I wish I could award this book more than the five stars that I have. The best book on the Holy Spirit that I have read in a good few years!

4.0 out of 5 stars Challenging, 22 July 2011
Francis Chan, in his own easy to read, honest and personable style, lays out what difference the Holy Spirit should make in our lives, and asks why we are not experiencing that? It is not detailed and comprehensive by any means, but a challenge. And one well worth listening to. 8/10.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 11 April 2012
This review is from: Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit (Kindle Edition)
I read this book in one sitting and will now go back and read it slowly and prayerfully chapter by chapter .... There are many questions that the author invites us to think about and answer that will shine a light on your personal spiritual life and also your church

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 30 Jan 2012
In really enjoyed this book. It was very refreshing, reminding me that He is the best thing that has happened to me and the awesome truth that He lives in me! While not a theological description of Chan's views, if focuses on inspiration while still showing evidence of a strong biblical grounding. Also, through his writing style, Chan's humility shows through, so also helped teach me a thing or two about pride and having a humble heart. A friend recommended this book, and I am very glad to have bought it rather than simply borrowing it, so I can lend it to other friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 18 Sep 2012
Amazing book, this has re shaped my way of thinking, worship and fellowship within my Church life. Please buy one book for you and one for a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely, 16 Jun 2012
I really enjoyed this book, it made me question what I actually think about the Holy Spirit and how I function as a Christian.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking, 9 Jun 2012
An easy read in the sense that it is not particularly academic but not so easy in terms of the challenge to complacency, obedience and understanding. This is not dry theology, it is about the work of the Holy Spirit in the lives of believers. If Christians have, as claimed, the indwelling of Holy Spirit then why do so many seem to be no different from those with no faith? Surely there should be some effect on the lives of professing Christians... Theologically balanced and Biblical approach coupled with real-life stories and examples to drive the message home. Should be widely read in Christian circles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! Grabs your attention from the 1st page., 1 Jun 2012
A book suitable for all christians. It asks how we should really consider the Holy Spirit and whether He is really evident in our daily lives. It caused me to think about what my life should be like and what impact I would make to those around me if I really lived as if the Spirit of God was alive in me. The fruit of the Spirit is an oft neglected area when we think of the Holy Spirit. The author makes very clear early on that the Spirit is not a thing and not just a force but a person who can be grieved. There are some lovely short stories/testimonies interspersed about ordinary people who are quietly but powerfully demonstrating the Fruit of the Spirit and positively impacting those around them.

5.0 out of 5 stars An answer to prayer, 24 Oct 2014
I have felt since becoming a Christian 6Years ago that some thing was missing in my church. God fearing people who clearly love the Lord and study scripture and teach it so well. I thought I was the odd one out never fitting in because of this conviction in me. But francis chan on this book has given me so many answers that the something missing wad some one and that was the Holy Spirit. Thank you thank you. I can move forward now with God.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›