on 2 November 2012
This is a comparison between the 'Fender FT-004' & the 'Korg AW 2'.

Initially after some research ..testing a borrowed clip-on tuner & reading reviews - I was wanting a neat, non-wacky, 'pro', accurate unit. I settled on the Korg AW 2. After a year I thought I'd buy another for my second guitar, so got the Fender FT-004. They both tune through vibration - the best method in my opinion; the Korg can be switched from 'Mic' to 'Piezo' (use Piezo), the Fender is 'vibration' only. I'm using classical guitars, though have on occasion used the Korg just as well on a steel-string guitar.

Comparing side by side on the same guitar, both are neat and professional looking.

First off in differences ..the clip: the Korg's double ball-joint is always un-popping itself, a nuisance, we all lean our guitars on a wall, or put the tuner in a carry box, etc, ..it keeps dislocating itself from the clip, no big deal but it will happen and its annoying. The Fender has a simple hinge & rotating plate mount - it can't un-pop, you lose one angle of rotation but I prefer its solidity.

Back light, the Korg has an 'on' or 'off' button, the Fender is always 'on' - maybe this means less battery life but always on is fine by me (also the colour changes with the Fender).

* The main and most important difference is in the method of tuning. The Korg uses a very fast sample period (maybe <1/10 sec) resulting in a very precise and lively reading, the detailed digital gauge is also very wide in its throw (the unit is wide compared to the vertical design of the Fender) this results in a more 'nervous' style of tuning - harmonics produced by the guitar's body and the plucked string settling into its frequency causes the needle to fluctuate - yet accurately picking up those stray frequencies. The Fender seems to have a slower sample period (~0.5sec) ironing-out fluctuations, this averaging does make it marginally less accurate, + the digital gauge doesn't have the detailed analogue realism offered by the Korg, and the Fender settles on the 'correct tuning' more readily while the Korg says slightly up or down.

Over the course of a day, in different temperatures, guitars change tuning subtly, using the Korg you might be endlessly tweaking - its a technical tuner, the Fender is more confident in saying 'yes' & is more solid - it tunes like a trained ear 'that's it, now play!'

My verdict is both are great, the Korg has the edge in terms of detailed accuracy, the articulated joint is a sore point though - too delicate; the Fender has a nice solid confidence about it, and in this I prefer it as my ready dependable tuner.

Their differences may swing it one way or another for you ..if you play the lute get the Korg, if you play live-gigs with a steel-string get the Fender, if you play classical guitar you might end up getting both!
on 28 June 2012
Very quick delivery. Product is smaller than I thought( little bit bigger than a squash ball) and Build quality would not cope with excessive gigging, if like me, your heavy handed and bash things about a bit. That said for 7 quid, this is a great little practice room tuner, will tune guitar, bass, violin and ukulele! Coloured lcd display changes from blue to green when string is in tune, good sturdy clip on design, and swivels in all directions for optimum viewing. Can recommend, you wont be disappointed.
on 23 September 2013
I got this last year when my lovely other half decided my old tuner needed to rest finally (Luckily I have kept it for back up).

I have been using it for the best part of a year now so I can be a little bit more honest after using almost daily since getting it, so here goes:
It's a great little tuner, light & easy to use. Great back light & I literally keep it in my jeans pocket with my change. all in all function wise it's great.

The only downside is battery life, I got this in December 2012 & have gone through 4 complete batteries. I have a suspicion that the tuner uses battery life when switched off. Not so long ago I miss placed it for a two month period after just changing the battery & found it the other day to find the new battery was dead. So be aware guys it can get annoying when it fails during practice.

Apart from that though a great little bit of kit I just think the battery life lets it down (I now take the battery out when not in use). It's a tool at the end of the day & the best tools are ones you never notice, this is a tuner I will replace in the future because the battery thing just makes it a little bit unreliable.
on 7 September 2013
I am a keen guitarist and have several guitars - both acoustic and electric - as well as an electric bass and a twelve-string. Keeping them all in tune is not difficult, but can be a chore. This tuner works on everything - because it uses the vibration from the headstock. I do have electronic tuners built into my rig, but this little gem is so much more accurate and easy to use - and of course is totally portable and does not need any electronics. At the price it is an absolute bargain. Very impressed.
on 30 September 2012
Decent product. Handy compact size; not too large. Easy to see and easy to use. Very light in weight. Background colour changes from blue to green when the correct pitch is reached. Accurate. Simply clips on the instrument. Nothing to plug in. Probably won't stand a lot of mishandling.
on 22 July 2012
Great product, cheap and works brilliantly!

Want to tune your guitar quickly and easily?

Buy this now, you won't be disappointed

Thanks very much
on 3 August 2013
Very easy to use with concise tuning points, display changes from blue to green when exact note is reached and clips on headstock of instrument. Works perfectly with my Fender F65 Acoustic guitar. Settings for Banjo, Ukelele, Cello and Violin as well as guitar.

Despite what it says in other reviews, there is and on/off switch. It's located below the display and you press once for on and twice for off.

Great bit of kit and money well spent.
on 16 May 2014
It's accurate enough. It only works for standard tuning though, it only recognizes EADGBe.
I bought an extra 5x batteries pack, but I've been using it on the same battery for around 2 months.
It's small and light, and easy to use.
Overall a good product, if you're on a budget.
on 24 April 2014
perfect littel gadget for quick n easy tuning green led background when its tuned well impressed easy to use and its fender say no more
on 30 October 2013
At first I thought it was a dud as it didn't seem to pick up the notes & told me they were wrong when it did but then decided to read the destructions (if all else fails this is sometimes a good plan), and realised it could be set for a range of instruments - impressive. After setting for bass it worked perfectly.