5.0 out of 5 stars Classic horror
You know the Tooth fairy right, cute little pixie type with wacky hat. Loveable creature much admired by young children as it sneaks about taking discarded teeth and swapping them for vast sums of money. Turns out they are not quite that nice after all.

Published on 17 May 2010 by Colin Leslie

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I really wanted to like this book. It sounded like it would be dark and scary and a good read. It wasn't. It was more like a bad, low budget, channel 5 film. It wasn't just that though, it was a silly story in my opinion.
Published 2 months ago by GreenKing

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic horror, 17 May 2010
This review is from: The Tooth Fairy (Paperback)

Sam accidentally sees the Tooth Fairy one night and things take a downward turn from then on. You see, this tooth fairy, is an evil manipulative spirit and the fact that he/she is seen binds it to Sam, neither is particularly happy with this situation.

This book is not really about fairies though, good or bad. It's about growing up; it's about dealing with all life's problems through a difficult adolescence. It is, in fact, a coming of age story.

Set in the late sixties the book also plays out in tandem with the sexual and cultural revolutions taking place in that period. Sam and his friends are faced with increasingly complicated and often tragic family histories. Trying to make sense of this whilst being confronted with an often malevolent spirit makes Sam's life particularly difficult and for the reader, particularly interesting.

Graham Joyce's use of a normally happy childhood symbol in an altogether more malevolent form is genius. It allows him to exaggerate and emphasise the difficulties Sam experiences growing up. That difficult period of puberty as new feelings and experiences begin to come to prominence is given added mystique.

Needless to say sex plays a prominent role throughout the book as Sam's urges awaken against the background of a general rise in promiscuity in the late 60's. The offsetting of Sam's innocence with the Tooth Fairies experience provides a rich vein of confusion in Sam's mind which Joyce exploits to the full.

So the tooth fairy becomes a metaphor for life's difficulties. The characters are engaging, the plot compelling and original and the balance between humour and pathos is beautifully realised. Anyone expecting a fantasy or fairy story should steer clear but anyone who enjoys a gritty psychological drama with plenty of horrific overtones will really enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful prose, not easily forgotten, 9 May 2010
Cartimand (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Tooth Fairy (Paperback)
Grotesque, beautiful, repulsive, compelling, hilarious, tragic, magical and very very erotic! Rarely have I read a book that provokes so many conflicting emotions. The angst of growing pains and awakening sexuality is very skilfully crafted and will, no doubt, strike a chord of recognition with many readers. The enigmatic character of the Tooth Fairy will haunt you long after the final page.

A minor masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you buy this book, you'll want to read it again!!!, 16 Sep 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Tooth Fairy (Hardcover)
I'm reading the Tooth Fairy for the second time now, having looked it out for a friend. Once I'd found it I couldn't put it down (both times!) and my friend is going to have to wait!!! It's an absolutely FABULOUS book. The action starts right on the first page and the whole book is fast moving, exciting, imaginative and very gripping. I'd encourage anyone to read it - it's certainly one of the best books I've ever read and parts of it have stayed with me for years. Also, like one of the other reviewers, I too think The Tooth Fairy would make a great film - the imagery is so vivid! It's definitely a book that can be read again without loosing any of its excitement. I'm certainly going to buy more of Graham Joyce's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A haunting and beautiful book., 25 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Tooth Fairy (Paperback)
A thought-provoking and haunting account of the painful journey through childhood and adolescence. Scenes from this book have stayed with me since I first read it almost two years ago. They're not exactly comforting, but I think the fact that I can still recall them so vividly is testament to the power of Joyce's prose.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely NOT for Children!, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Tooth Fairy (Kindle Edition)
This is probably the weirdest book I've ever read. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, but I was certainly shocked.

The idea of introducing sex via this medium was very clever, though I can see why people might accuse the author of trying to shock. However, it was innovative and he pulled it off in style. I certainly can't think of a more original or disturbing way to introduce sexuality than the initial sexual scene. Or perhaps I just did - and it wasn't pleasant...

Since reading this I've bought Some Kind of Fairy Tale as I want to give the author another try, but I found the repetition of certain words and phrases particularly annoying. The sentence: "He/she was puce in the face" appeared at least three times, and girls' legs were continually compared to swords.

Personally, I don't like unusual words/phrases or similes/metaphors to be repeated at all, unless there is a specific point to be made by doing so.

3.5 Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book of all time, 27 Aug 2009
A. Butterfield (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tooth Fairy (Paperback)
I purchased this copy for a friend but its been a favourite of mine since my teens. Coming of age story with a surreal fantasy bent. Reminds me of the style of ' The Wasp factory".

Definitely Graham Joyce's best novel.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 12 May 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Depressing, 3 May 2014
This review is from: The Tooth Fairy (Kindle Edition)
Not for me, while initially the characters were intriguing the question of whether the tooth fairy was real or not just didn't work for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't forget to brush your teeth, 19 Sep 2013
Richard Latham (Burton on Trent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tooth Fairy (Paperback)
Yet another book from my find of the year, author Graham Joyce. Can I say it falls way outside my usual books of choice but his writing is such a delight that I am drawn to his work and will return again soon.
There is a mystery in this account of growing up in a rural village in the West Midlands. It is a coming of age story about Sam and his closest friends and family. Joyce isn't content to let the story unfold as he introduces the wider scope by speculating that the Tooth Fairy is alive in our world as seen through a young boys eyes.
There is drama, sex, violence, acne, drugs, the usual stuff of growing up and the influence of the Tooth Fairy seems to bring more insight into this process often at some cost. The sprite's true nature is hard to gauge. Perhaps a guide into adulthood, a malevolent creature out to create havoc, a jealous lover/friend or an evil presence whispering into people's ear to bring death and ill fortune. Sam worries when the Tooth Fairy seems to bleed out into all his relationships and influence others. The skill is you never know if the creature is real or just in Sam's troubled imagination even when as in a later book, Joyce plays with the Psychiatrist's own sense of reality.
Rich in humour but with a dark and sinister edge this is a beautifully crafted novel bursting with excellent prose and creative language.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book not to be read in the dark!, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Tooth Fairy (Kindle Edition)
Lots of other people have already left feedback covering how I feel about this book so I'll keep this quite short. I read this years ago and have re-read it a couple of time since. Now that in itself is saying something as I rarely read books more than once. This is a dark book full of the horrors of the night mixed with the confusion of puberty. Is the tooth fairy real or just part of the characters psyche? Who knows, certainly not the boy himself that's for sure. I lent my copy to a friend who made the mistake of reading it in bed just before trying to sleep in an otherwise empty house. She still hasn't forgiven me and had to keep the light on all night. I would say that this is my favourite of Graham Joyce's books but don't let that out you off reading the others.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›