Format: DVD|Change

on 29 September 2006
I bought this film on dvd last christmas as i had seen it on sky during the christmas holidays. As soon as I put the dvd on my 8year old son will always get me the tissue box! It is a heart warming film which will make you cry guaranteed! The song that goes thru the film and is sung in full during the last few very sad scenes is brilliantly written and beautifully performed. I sometimes watch it during other times in the year as it makes me appriciate the family and friends that I am lucky to have around me! I recommend man size tissues!!

ENJOY!!( A christmas film fan).
VINE VOICEon 14 November 2006
This is one of my favourite films/Christmas Films of all time and what a tearjerker it is. It is a very poignant story about a mother dying of heart failure and her son wanting her to meet Jesus with a special pair of red shoes "The Christmas Shoes", that he wants to buy her for Christmas. His mission is to make sure she does, so not to give too much of the story away go out and buy this excellent tearjerker and make sure you have a box of tissues handy, you'll need them. I brought this DVD last year after seeing it on Sky Movies in 2004. It is also part one of a trilogy of films and books, the others are The Christmas Blessing and The Christmas Hope. The song at the end of this film which is just so lovely is by Newsong and I have just managed to get it on two different CD's from the USA, the first CD contains The Christmas Shoes and other christmas songs and the other again by Newsong called The Christmas Hope contains a new version of The Christmas Shoes and adds the final two songs of the trilogy, The Christmas Blessing and The Christmas Hope to it with more new christmas songs. So go out and buy them too, you won't regret it I promise.
on 14 November 2005
I saw this film last xmas and its the best film Iv`e ever seen good family entertainment but do have a box of tissues ready as this is a weepy, but can`t praise this film enough the true spirit of xmas all in the one film. Anyone buying this film will not be disappointed the kids will love it and so will you.well done amazon for getting this film
on 15 September 2006
This movie is exactly as every other review says, touching and a tear-jerker and really wonderfully bitter-sweet. However, if you want the "happily ever after" version you'll have to crack open the books. Donna VanLiere has written "The Christmas Shoes", "The Christmas Blessings" and "The Christmas Hope" which are all in the series. The books are wonderful and if you liked the movie, you'll love the books! ENJOY!
on 24 November 2011
Inspired by the award winning song of the same name, this is a beautiful story and well worth watching. Although it deals with death and grieving, it is done with an acceptance and beauty that is so very loving. Yes, even the big macho guy named Bubba will need tissues to watch this one, because it touches the heart and the soul. The movie is 94 minutes in length, slightly more than 1 ½ hours. Although the story line takes place in a small town in Boston, Massachusetts during Christmas time, it was actually filmed in a small town in Nova Scotia, Canada in July! (BTW - I've been to Nova Scotia and it is beautiful there!). There's lots of real-looking snow in this movie, too. Special added features include interviews and a video of the hit song by the group New Song. Note that I have NOT read the book, so this review is based strictly on seeing the movie.

The movie begins with Robert Layton (Rob Lowe) visiting a grave. The snow is everywhere. He mentions that if we are open to it, the smallest of miracles can change our lives. (So true.)

Then we jump back a little in time and we meet Robert Layton, his wife Kate (Maria del Mar) and daughter Lily (Amber) as he is rushing to get to work. Robert is a workaholic lawyer who is looking for the material side of life (big house on snob hill). It's all about money with Robert. He is even pushing his wife to get a job so they can achieve all that money can buy even quicker. The Layton's have reached a time in their marriage where they are not communicating very well: Robert has stopped listening and stopped caring about the touchy-feely things in life. As Robert leaves the local coffee shop, a box of red shoes falls off a truck. He picks them up, intending to deliver them to the store they are addressed to. To Robert's defense, he is trying to help the local farmers keep their land from being taken away due to alleged environmental issues.

Driving down the street, Robert meets Maggie Andrews (Kimberly Williams) and son Nathan as she accidentally bounces a football off his car. Mr. Andrews is the local car mechanic. In school, Nathan's teacher Dalton Gregory (Dorian Harewood) reads a story about magic shoes. Wives Kate and Maggie meet at a school function, where Maggie is a volunteer working with the children's chorus in the music program. We soon find out that Maggie has progressive congestive heart failure.

Another really cool thing about this movie is that it illustrates synchronicity in life. It is amazing to observe how all the little puzzle pieces of life come together to intertwine these two families and events and bring about love and support at a time when it is needed the most.

I believe you will love this beautiful little movie. It would also make a nice Christmas stocking stuffer or addition to a gift basket, or a little "I'm thinking of you" gift for someone. It illustrates beauty and love in so many ways. If you are familiar with the song, it follows and expands on the story within the song.

Peace and love.
on 23 December 2005
BRILLIANT - what more can I say. I watched this movie with my 4 year old daughter. It is definately up there with the best of the best Christmas movies. So full of Christmas spirit. But have a box of tissues at the ready - you will need them!!
on 7 May 2012
I loved this movie, and the song. At first, I listened to the song then watched
the film on YouTube.

It's so emotional when Maggie's telling Nathan she's going to Heaven, and the way
she tells it you have to hold back tears.

The most heartwarming scene is when Robert overcomes being self centered at the
store when Nathan doesn't have enough money for the dancing shoes and says his mom
will be going to Heaven. And when Robert pays for the shoes and goes to the house
where the kids, Dalton and Kate are all singing, he realizes you can't take people for granted like he did with his mother. And it's just a wonderful Christmas movie,
except for Maggie's failing heart.

And sometimes, it does take a miracle for us to realize how precious life is.
on 2 August 2007
BRILLIANT! I rented this dvd after reading the reviews on this site and I have to say it is one of the best Christmas Movies I seen. It was as mentioned before me a real tear-jerker. I sobbed my heart out, "what a film" I would definately recommend this film.
on 22 December 2005
It is a good film for kids to learn about sharing/giving/helping at Christmas, but it could put a huge downer on Christmas spirit, it is a very sad and emotional film that shows how not everyone has a happy time at this time of the year.
Don't expect it to put you in a jolly mood for the holidays
on 4 January 2016
There were lots of 'Christmassy' films to choose from and I plumped for just 3 and the reason I chose this one after I'd read what it was about was simply because Rob Lowe was in it and I haven't seen him in a bad film yet. Anyway, 2 storys run parallel to each other and soon become entwined. Rob Lowe plays a lawyer who works, works and works some more and his family and marriage of course suffer as he never seems to see his wife or daughter especially at school events.His wife is played by a very attractive Maria del Mar. The 'other' story concerns a garage owner who spends time with his family and his wife a school teacher, (Kimberley Williams) is found to be suffering from a heart problem. His young son portrayed by Max Morrow is told by his mother she is ill and he sets about buying her the perfect Christmas gift. Morrow gives a heart-rending performance but the glitter has to go to Kimberley Williams whose stellar acting will make you grab the tissues. There are a few ups and downs and the only thing that was out of place was the last scenes to do with Rob Lowe where he meets Nathan Andrews (Morrow) in the cemetery.