Format: Blu-ray|Change

VINE VOICEon 11 October 2009
I won't tell you the plot of this film and ruin it for you - CAREFUL - there are lots on here that do just that.

But I would like to share with you the fantastic experience my family had watching this at the cinema.

I (a slightly cynical 47 year old man) cried in the first ten minutes, was amazed and delighted in the next ten, almost split my sides at the affectionate, very real (but simultaneously very surreal!) depiction of dogs, lost myself in the adventure and tension and completely forgot time.

At times, my kids (6 and 8) almost lost bladder control with laughter and sat at the edge of their seats from start to finish.

As I said, Delightful, Moving, Funny, Exciting and Inspiring.

One of Pixar's best; does praise come higher than that?
99 comments| 464 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 February 2010
'Up' merely cememts Pixar's reputation as the most intelligent and innovative film studio of the moment. From the incredible opening 10 minutes, destined to be a cinematic classic for ever, to the touching final scene, I was completely and utterly entranced.

A film for all ages and one that perfectly sums up the love and laughter that only the very greatest films can manage to pull of.
on 17 March 2010
I bought this film for my grandchildren, ages 8 - 13. A few days later, I was told by my daughter-in-law that they had all watched the film and loved it. She was including herself and a visiting 3 year old. The amazing thing was that they had all shed tears at various points! Surely this is an example of a perfect film - lots of laughs and a few tears - even in a cartoon.
on 16 February 2010
This movie has the best beginning ever. Period.
And if your not in tears by the first ten minutes then theres something wrong with you.
But, at the same time, this movie is also tremendously funny, happy and meaningful for all ages. There were times of intense laughter and sadness but this movie is ultimantly incredible.

Pixar produces THE best animated movies.
A bold, but true, statement.
And this is up there with Ratatouille, The Incredibles and Toy Story.

The Blu-Ray quality is breathtaking, the colours are vibrant and the sound is crisp and clear, the bonus features are also really entertaining and informative.

Buy this now!
33 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 25 December 2009
I won't tell you the plot of this film and ruin it for you - CAREFUL - there are lots here that do just that.

I (a slightly cynical 47 year old man) cried in the first ten minutes, was amazed and delighted in the next ten, almost split my sides at the affectionate, very real (but simultaneously very surreal!) depiction of dogs and then got completely involved in the adventure and tension and completely forgot time.

As I said, Delightful, Moving, Funny, Exciting and Inspiring.

One of Pixar's best; does praise come higher than that?
55 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 April 2010
A classic in every respect.

There are not many films which start off on a sad note (yup - definitely some sort of irritation in the air that made my eyes a bit moist) but end up giving so much pleasure.

And....my 3 year old son was enthralled throughout.
on 18 March 2010
This was a brilliant film. You expected the amazing animation and beautiful imagery, but what took me aback was the impact of the story.
This is back to old-school disney. It really wrenches at the heart before delivering a very uplifting message.

Smaller kids won't get the gravitas of the message (it hits home for adults big time) but they will enjoy the film for it's humour and fun.
It will take me a while to muster the courage to watch this again, but it is a wonderful film.
on 21 March 2010
What a pain. My Granson watches this video for 10 hours a day! The first time the house took off he put his hand in the air. He hasn't started speaking yet and now he puts his hand in the air to indicate he wants it on again. Then after about the 7th day of having the film on nearly all the time (he knows how to work the DVD player and toddles over and ejects any other film!) we were in the kitchen and he just looked at me, put his hand in the air and said "UP". How annoying that my Granchild's first word is not Mommy or Ferrari but the title of a Disney animation.
Out of interest the Blu-ray version is NOT AS GOOD as the standard DVD which is superb. We have several different set ups and the standard DVD plays incredibly well on all. The colours and quality are WAY BETTER than the Blu-ray which is darker and more edgy, not pixelated but definitely not such true colours.
Either way it's a bargain.
on 13 March 2010
WOW! Within the first 10 mins so many of our family aged 5 to 66 were on the edge of tears - stunned into silence. My husband turned to me with moistened eyes and kissed me and held me!! Such a tender, funny, soul seraching story and superbly characterised. How could you not love the little boy scout? Our son and his wife are into the final round of IVF, my dad had just died and it hit home. Thank you
on 11 March 2016
If anyone has anything bad to say against this film, I seriously wonder why, I absolutely adore it

It's kind of slow paced, I will agree to that but that shouldn't really be an issue for this film, it's the emotional detailing and the characters that really bring out this film as one of the best films I've watched. The characters are so well detailed and entertaining, the fact there's not much of a plot shouldn't be an issue, you're watching it for the characters, I wasn't even fussed if Carl made it to his destination or not, it didn't really matter in the end.

Carl's widowed and just trying to live out the rest of his days. However, people want to buy his house as it's in the way of construction. He's not giving it up. Instead, he ties thousands of balloons to the house, lifting it into the air to travel to South America (like America but South) to fulfill his wife's long lost dream of traveling there. However, a Junior Wilderness Explorer ends up trapped on his porch as the house defies gravity. Carl is stuck with him. Hilarity ensues....

The beginning is one of the few movie scenes that makes me well up. The films worth watching just for the first 10 minutes alone. The amount of detailing and emotion they put into those few minutes running through Ellie's and Carl's life together, makes it one of the most beautiful scenes ever created. All the characters were on point and so lovable that you couldn't hate any of them. Except for the bad guy of course. It's just an emotional, funny ride watching these characters on their adventure with great character development and wonderful bonds formed between them. One flaw I do have, is why Carl never flicked through the rest of the Adventure Book. I guess he just assumed the rest wouldn't have been filled in but still, surely he would have glanced past it through curiosity. He still could have had an adventure that way...

Highly recommended film if you want something to cheer you up a bit.

Also, I want a Dug, voice collar or not.