1,179 Reviews

Published 9 months ago by Martin Beecroft

3.0 out of 5 stars Drive USB 3.0 but not the supplied cable!
Published 9 months ago by Mr C.

5.0 out of 5 stars It may appear so until the worst happens and years of irreplaceable images are lost when ..., 5 Aug. 2014
Martin Beecroft "bittmaster" (North Wales, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Transcend 1TB 2.5 inch USB 3.0 Military-Grade Shock Resistance Portable External Hard Drive (Personal Computers)
Bought as an additional backup for my extremly valuable photo images. Current thinking in many photography circles is to backup to at least 2 or 3 seperate external drives of different manufacture and to store them in different locations. Paranoid? It may appear so until the worst happens and years of irreplaceable images are lost when a hard drive fails or is stolen, or as happened to me recently, a laptop returned to the manufacturer for a warranty repair was returned with the hard drive wiped! Thank goodness I backup my data.

This drive was delivered next day by Amazon and put immediately into use. Fast operation using USB3 quickly copying over 200gb of photo images from my computer. I bought the 1Tb version and so have plenty of space for future use.

Seems to be of good construction with rubberised outer shell. Ive not tested its drop resistance and hopefully never will, but, it is reassuring to know it is tested to US military standards when my valuable images are stored on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 15 May 2014
M. Rose (England) - See all my reviews
great hard drive, shock resistant. another reviewer posted negative reviews as he had broke the hard drive when he left the cable in the HD when travelling and he snapped the USB port. ANYONE with basic HD knowledge KNOWS NEVER to leave cables in during transit!!! the HD is strong and durable but small ports are always more fragile and can break - this HD if you drop it on the floor it's not going to stop working, which is what you really want. JUST DON'T LEAVE THE CABLE IN DURING TRANSIT AND YOU WILL LOVE THIS.

I had a 3TB HD full of TV shows, it fell off my dresser and now doesn't work, all that data lost - invest in this instead

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 22 May 2013
These are solid and easy to use as a back up. This is the second one I have bought and you can't beat the solid build quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars works best, 31 July 2013
this HD is really great as it makes the transfer of my data very easy and smooth. i am glad that i bought it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Drive USB 3.0 but not the supplied cable!, 31 July 2014
When I plugged in the drive on my Levono laptop (Windows 8.1) a message popped up stating that Windows needed to "fix" errors on the drive. I followed the screen prompts to do so but that did not work. I then returned the drive using the Amazon's replacement procedure (which was very easy to do) and a new drive was despatched immediately - without waiting for the defective drive to be received by Amazon. The new drive arrived 2 days later. It is supplied with a very short USB cable which I thought would be USB 3.0 compatible but the drive could only be accessed from a USB 2.0 port using this cable. I had purchased an additional longer USB 3.0 cable anyway and when I used this cable to connect the drive I could access the drive from the USB 3.0 port. It appears that the lead supplied with the drive is not USB 3.0 compatible and yet the specification for the drive states that the drive is USB 3.0 compatible and so I would have expected the cable to be USB 3.0. So my advice would be to purchase a cable that states it is specifically for a USB 3.0 port.

2.0 out of 5 stars Failed after two months but was replaced., 20 Aug. 2014
First drive failed after a few months but managed to get it replaced via Amazon. I find hard drives are generally prone to failure but I would expect at least a few years of use first. I have found Seagate to the most reliable in my experience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Was good until, 29 April 2015
I purchased this device nearly 3 months ago now all of a sudden it no longer turns on which means I no longer have access to my files clicked to return for repair but is telling me it's not eligible for that when I still have 2 years and 9 months warranty left had to also pay twice for this hard drive all because amazon lost it on there order list wasn't happy with that and am now even more angry isn't the first thing that's stopped working and Amazon have refused a return after few months won't be purchasing anything again from them

1.0 out of 5 stars Died after 3 or 4 uses., 15 Oct. 2014
T. Jackson (UK) - See all my reviews
Died after 3 or 4 uses. It's been carried around in a brief case maybe a dozen times. Never dropped. As I bought it a little over 3 months ago I can't return it to Amazon. Have contacted Transcend - other's comments suggest I'll have to be patient!

(Looking around for a non-Transcend replacement, just about all similar devices have non-trivial numbers of one star reviews, most stating unexplained failure after a fairly short time period. This suggests to me that this 'solution' does not really work. I think I'll look for a solid state based solution.)

1.0 out of 5 stars The product worked fine for several months then wouldn't start at all, 20 Aug. 2014
The product worked fine for several months then wouldn't start at all , would only bleep . Contacted Transend explaining the problem , just got back load of irrelevant links on a pre written emails that all involved having it running 1st . Wrote again saying IT WONT START and that it contained a lot of important university material which we need to have , their answer basically is to return it for a replacement or a refund and that the warranty stated their not responsible for the loss of any data with their products , absolutely disgusted .

Now i see from their response is that they advice is to contact the same people that were of no help at all in the 1st place , so we can get more useless totally irrelevant links , if the drive wont start how do they expect it to be accesses to do anything with , you cant recover something thats DEAD .

Transend has to be one of the worst companies i have ever dealt with . If the product fails don't bother emailing them , all they do is click pre written reply with loads of links that are of no use what so ever , customer service is next to zero . All i have got from them is "return it for a refund" , "the guarantee states we don't cover data stored on our devices" , they clearly dont feel confident enough to recommend anyone rely on their storage products for important files , use more than one , personalty i think use a different brand would be a better option . Our experiences are going to be sent to every consumer medium we can think of , im sure there will be many more customers with the same responses that we have had .

5.0 out of 5 stars A great item and works with Xbox One, 27 Sept. 2014
Perfect for my needs. I wanted something much smaller and lighter than the external HDD's I have been using and this is perfect. I was originally looking at a USB thumb stick and I was thinking about buying the HyperX DataTraveler HyperX Predator 1TB USB 3.0 Flash Drive, but when I saw this HDD and the fact it has 1tb more storage and ALOT cheaper, it was no brainer I went with this. I like the fact that this HDD powers by the USB cable and does not work off a plug. That makes it better to carry around. I can also confirm it works with the Xbox One and since September when the Xbox update hit you can play all your videos, pictures and music on Xbox One and in October MKV support will be added to Xbox One to play all my Blu ray movie rips, awesome.

All in all, I recommend this item. It's small, it's light, it's tough, it's reliable and it transfers data really fast.