5.0 out of 5 stars A great little device!
What you get is a square box measuring 13cm across, containing TomTom with mounting unit attached, user guide, USB cable and in-car charger. Take out the TomTom and peel off the protective sticky films from front and back, and you are ready to start. Its battery has some power already, so you can switch it on and set it up.

Setup is very easy as the screen...
Published on 24 Nov. 2011 by Thomas Pots

1.0 out of 5 stars TomTom Start Classic with Western Europe ???? and UK
Initially I was delighted with my purchase, but on registering it with TomTom, I was informed that I had one Free Update to incorporated, okay until you read what that entails"The removal of Western Europe Maps and and other things in order to incorporate the new UK update , as the memory capacity of the device is too small"

I contacted TomTom help line and was...
Published on 27 Aug. 2012 by Thomas G. Sinclair

1.0 out of 5 stars TomTom Start Classic with Western Europe ???? and UK, 27 Aug. 2012
Thomas G. Sinclair (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TomTom Start Classic 3.5" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps (Electronics)

I contacted TomTom help line and was informed that this in necessary,
so far I have declined to do this, My free update expires tomorrow 28/08/2012.

I feel that it is unjustified to advertise this Sat Nav as covering Western Europe and the UK, when TomTom says that the device memory is too small for Western Europe and the UK maps.

Yours disappointedly T.G. Sinclair

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little device!, 24 Nov. 2011
Thomas Pots "T Pots" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Setup is very easy as the screen prompts you every step of the way. The user guide is surprisingly limited. It just explains a few of the objects on the screen, how to plug it in, how to fix it to your windscreen, and how to connect it to your computer. For everything else you must go to the TomTom website and download the full user guide. Given how much the device does (it does a lot!), and how essential the full user guide is, it's a bit cheap of TomTom not to include it in the box (especially as the box is half-empty).

This is my first satnav, but I found it very easy to use. Basically you get two main options: Plan Route, and Browse Map. When planning a route, you can setup and use a list of favourite destinations, choose a recent destination, choose a point on the map, a point of interest (you can download a huge variety of these for shops, sights, companies and so on), or enter an address. It's all quite logical and easy to do. Once you've created a route, it can start advising you immediately, or you can choose a time when you want it to start. Then just attach it to the vehicle windscreen and away you go.

It does not offer "live" information, such as news about queues or accidents. However, if you find yourself heading towards congestion, you can press the "Avoid Roadblock" button and then tell it roughly how far away the road block is, and it will give a route that avoids the roadblock (congestion, closed road, or whatever). If you ever find you don't like the route it has chosen, press the "Change Route" button to get an alternative route to your destination. Most actions of this kind are just one or two clicks away, but if you are doing anything more complicated (like browsing the map), it's probably best to stop somewhere first.

Its touch screen is responsive, and the targets and buttons to press are nice and big. Some reviewers have said the screen is a bit small, but for me it's just about the right size. The screen seems quite tough and has no scratches so far. The screen mount unclips, so you can leave it attached to the windscreen, or flip it around and use it as a desk stand, which is very handy when your TomTom is connected to a computer.

TomTom Home. You will need a computer to update and customize your TomTom. The software is free and available from their website. Details of how to get it are in the printed user guide. TomTom Home is essential, so don't skip it. Connect your TomTom to it and you can do all kinds of things, including updating the maps, downloading extra voices and graphics and so on. I found some of extra voices were a bit silly, or made the instructions harder to follow. I tried a few but have since deleted them and used the built-in ones instead. But, if you like your spoken instructions with added sarcasm (John Cleese) or movie lines (Darth Vader), or witty remarks from comedians, then it's all there to download. YOu can even make your own "voice" if you like. Many of the best downloads cost extra. If you never do anything else with TomTom Home, make sure you download the free map updates. The first time you do, you'll get a 1.6GB update to the European maps.

This brings me to TomTom support. The TomTom website, which offers support and extras for your TomTom, is nicely designed and easy to use. However, I am a bit dubious about its online shop. Alarm bells ring whenever I see "99" on the end of every price - a classic sign that prices are higher than they look. I checked quite a few of the prices on the TomTom website, and most genuine TomTom items are a lot cheaper on Amazon. You have been warned.

TomTom Start is a great little device. It is small, light, easy to use, and great value for money (especially at the Amazon Black Friday sale price!). It is aimed at casual drivers so, if you drive professionally, this may not be the one for you. For me though, it is perfect. It has saved my wife the bother of map-reading, and we won't get lost any more. Perfect!

2.0 out of 5 stars takes me to wrong places, 3 April 2013
well a lot of people have commented on the bug that it tells you your maps are up to date when they are infact not.
But I managed to get the maps up to date (still worth complaining about as it is a bug TomTom are not fixing)

But even with the most up to date maps TomTom would take me down restricted roads and even take me to wrong postcodes when having typed in the right postcode. For 99% of road users this TomTom is good but when you need to arrive places on time and have multiple stops this TomTom will fail occasionally.
I thought about getting a better tomtom for 170 pounds + 50 pounds per year for live updates but after reading how TomTom have stopped making quality products within the last 3 years I decided to go for the 90 pound garmin with free life time map and live updates. Very happy with that so far.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great intially but experienced problems within a year and TomTom will replace with a refurbished unit, 7 Dec. 2011
Jane V. - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Compact, solid well built unit with sucker for windscreen attached to the back of the unit, which is easily removable if you want to make the unit more slimline when removing it from the car. You can turn it the other way around if you want to use a dashboard disc (not included) to stick it to the dashboard. Anti glare screen, good responsive touch screen, good sound quality with excellent choice of voices. Has a about a three hour battery life.

Speaks street names, excellent lane assist, speed cameras, timely instructions before and at a turn and uses IQ technology to calculate the fastest route for the time of day. If you don't like the route you can recalculate an alternative, travel via one stop and if there's an obstruction you can enable a road block feature to re route your journey. Has a night mode button to dim the screen at night to make it easier on the eye and less distracting.

You need to download tomtom home to your PC and then you can operate the device from the computer with automatic updates. Then you can add up to 48 favourites and unlimited points of interest without phaffing around in the car at the last minute.

Some reviewers have suggested that when updating maps it doesn't all fit within the 2GB capacity but it does! It won't leave much spare capacity but you can remove unnecessary foreign voices which frees up a lot of space. Tomtom home also allows you to back-up your device which I did after the first map update so I always have the full data before customising my options. If you remove anything from your device using tomtom home then you can use tomtom home again to reinstall it at a later date with the touch of a button. Therefore, if travelling outside the coverage area you could remove all the maps for UK/Western Europe or specific zones and add additional maps purchased from the tomtom store even though this device has limited capacity.

Excellent aftersales customer service from tomtom. Any queries any problem and it's sorted quickly and efficiently either on the phone or via email.

My first tomtom and after my first experience in a city in which I normally get hopelessly lost in, I was able to navigate with ease to everywhere I needed to go. Will never be without one now!

UPDATE: over the last couple of months has been glitchy with updates, 2 days before the end of my one year warranty and it won't complete an update, contacted TomTom who suggested I might need to format the hard drive, or it could be the USB cable OR it could be faulty. They are sending a new USB cable and a return box. If the item can not be repaired then I get a replacement refurbished unit. Would be gutted if I received a refurbished unit as I've taken very good care of my TomTom, will also be left without a unit for up to 2 weeks while it's sorted out. Very disappointed to be experiencing problems within a year! Bottom line is I wouldn't buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product, 13 Jan. 2012
Mr. Nj Mcallister (Surrey, Britain) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I bought this for my job, it was marked as delivered according to amazons delivery info. It had not arrived so I contacted amazon help using live chat. There was no fuss no problems they sent me a replacement which arrived 2 days later. Excellent service as always and the product itself, TomTom start is first class covers all of the UK and Western Europe and works very well at an affordable price. The speed trap warnings alone have more than paid for this item and it is a very affordable price

5.0 out of 5 stars Our unit got us from Scotland to CORFU!, 16 May 2012
We have owned one of these units now for several years, after buying it in The Netherlands. The previous reviewers comments of working straight out of the box are very valid. Our unit has got us round Northern Europe with only a very occasional glitch. From time to time software updates via the PC connection have caused the unit to freeze. However shutting it down and leaving it for a few minutes have always solved the problem. We recently decided to do a road trip from Glasgow in Scotland to Corfu Town in Greece, with stops on the way.
Despite Tom Tom not having full map agreements with Serbia we decided to follow a route of Scotland - England - France - Belgium - The Netherlands - Germany - Austria - Slovenia - Croatia - Serbia - FYROM - Greece, as we had some stops to make and friends to see. Once we programmed in the stop points the unit and the software did the rest. During the whole drive the unit never put a foot wrong! One point not in Tom Tom's favour (nor in many of the other GPS unit manufacturer's) is that they do not actually yet have full maps for all of the european mainland countries (i.e non EU ones). However in Tom Tom's defence they do highlight the correct route through these countries and it worked every time. (Nokia maps did work however the run from Belgrade to Thessaloniki was several hundred klms longer and went via Bulgaria!)
I could not justify the cost of buying a more all singing and dancing unit and this unit has certainly lived upto its expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great entry level Sat-Nav, 28 Dec. 2011
Shaun Horrigan "Shaun" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought this sat-nav for my daughter who does quite a lot of fairly long distance driving between home on the outskirts of London, university in Birmingham, her boyfriend in Manchester, and his parants in Lancashire.

First impressions are very good. The box contains the sat-nav unit, a windscreen/dash suction mount, a USB cable, and an in car power adapter for the USB cable. It feels solidly made and looks very robust. It arrived almost fully charged so we were able to have a play with it straight out of the box. Satellite lock was very quick indeed and it even managed to lock on to eight satellites indoors!

The instruction booklet it very minimal, but it is so simple to use that you really don't need anything more.

It has a basic selection of voices already loaded (male/female, English, Irish and a few Europrean langauages too), and these are actually some of the nicer sat nav voices to listen to. You can download alternative voices from the Tom Tom web site, including "funny" ones should you wish to do so.

Overall: 5 stars - This is a terrific entry level sat-nav that also has European maps. My daughter has already used it to drive the 270 miles from home on the outskirts of London to Lancaster and although she now knows this journey, it made her feel more comfortable in case of road closures etc. The route guidance was accurate, clear and concise. Highly recommended indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant budget sat nav, 23 Dec. 2011
This is my second sat nav, my first one being a very old Siemens one which was way out of date and for which new software was to cost more than the price of this basic Tom Tom Start.
My first car journey with it was from Lincoln to County Durham, not a very taxing journey, being mostly A1 north bound, but I soon came to realise just how the Tom Tom style of indicating which lane to be in on motorways is a real boon to getting into the correct lane well in advance of needing to which is particularly useful on todays busy motorways.
TOM TOM also has a good system for updating on line and even offer accessories and different voices which can create a laugh and help to make a boring journey more fun, especially for kids (or even older kids like myself!).
I really recommend this sat nav as a basic starter if you are on a budget...it even has Europe on it for those holiday trips to France and Spain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tom Tom does it again!, 2 Nov. 2011
This is my third Tom Tom as I tend to use them everyday at work, often 4+ times each day as I do a lot of journeys. I can't comment on whether there are any downsides as I haven't been using it long enough, however I set it up today in less than 2 minutes and took myself on a 30 minute journey. My last Tom Tom (Tom Tom Go) took a long time to locate me. This Tom Tom located me within 30 seconds. What I like is the fact you can actually inform the Tom Tom of where you are which, I believe, is why it was so fast to locate me. The reason I have given 4 stars is that the screen is smaller than my Tom Tom Go. I don't mind this as I tend only to glance at it and listen to the voice, but I believe some people could find the screen too small. I like the new gadget to attach the Tom Tom to the windscreen (sort of a new suction pad which turns on and off).

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 7 Jun. 2012
Save yourself about 20 hours on the phone talking to foreign call centres and DO NOT BUY any TomTom device. They work fine until you try to do something "unusual" like buy a new map after which all hell breaks loose. The device management interface is awful and totally unintuitive. As I write, I'm on a call - for the 5th time today - with TomTom who seem to have no idea how to get a map from my computer to my device. Dreadful.